• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Discontinued The Grasshopper

MoltenTiger

My 2x Ti RMA's have landed home. Lodged Nov 21st 2017, arrived @HL Dec 28th 2017, received Jan 21st 2019

jkgiki.jpg

They neglected to engrave my units, which might be because I never ended up paying the correct amount for it (their error with free postage/custom code to subsidise for a postage fee I didn't end up spending).
It could be that the designs I sent through were too complex so they just noped out of it.
Or it could be they simply forgot. I did request them to be sent back ASAP 3 days before they were posted.

What's most annoying about that is that they basically told me they were ready to ship back in Oct/Nov after receiving this message in August
John (Hopper Labs) Aug. 29, 2018, 6:52 a.m.
We apologize for the slow service time. Your device is currently in line for a new chamber assembly which should happen within the next 20-30 days. This is based on your position in the service line and the issue with your Hopper. We apologize for the long delay during this time as we work to upgrade every Hopper that comes in for service to the newest set of components.

John (Hopper Labs) Oct. 12, 2018, 6:36 a.m.
Thanks for the encouraging words. I have just enabled free shipping on your current cart items. Once you have completed your order, please send me a message on this warranty page with the order number given to you after purchase, and I will link that order with this warranty request.

We expect to have this done in the next 10 days.

John (Hopper Labs) Oct. 30, 2018, 7:58 a.m.
Have you submitted the engraving design? It will take a few extra days for this to go through.

Despite that, another down side to be aware of for those waiting on RMA, they came back quite filthy. The front ends were fine, and there was no off-gassing from the herb chamber (tested with a few dry and empty tokes. No off flavour, plenty of heat). But, the back end threads and brass terminal were caked in some gross looking dirt.

The PCBs are not the latest revision, and the back-ends still require the double click once they've timed out to power them back up.
I sent them off without batteries or front ends, and I got back a couple of GHB1s in both units, plus my additional 3 GHB2s from my order. One GHB1 has the word "good" written on it, the other is missing large amounts of print from the wrapper. Not too sure how good either batt will be, both were drained on arrival. I'll give them a charge and see how they perform in due time.

The blue unit seems like it's going to rip. Loads of heat, good heat up time.

The Ti unit (note, I self anodised the PFE with a gas torch, super easy) is more iffy. But, a fresher battery and a blue-tack on the filthy back-end has halved the heat up time from 13s to 6s. I don't have high expectations from this unit long term.

It seems very similar to the last time I got them back in 2017, when Ti ended up outlasting the blue (not what I expected).

The RMA experience remains to be sub par, but I'm happy to have them back even in this state.
Both units have vaporised residue in the PFEs (empty chamber, heat on max) so there's at least that. I know I've got some very enjoyable multi-hopping sessions on the horizon.

Will be testing with packed chambers a bit later on.

edit: can confirm, the blue is back to it's classic self. Just had a fairly epic round of T4 hits, which got evidently warmer than my HT unit at T5. I feel like I just got a solid 225 hit at T4 so I'll just leave the dial there for a bit I think. 10/10, the kinda hit that makes me happy to be a hopper owner even through all the bullshit.

on to the Ti, well, this one is showing a symptom from years back where it takes a long time to heat up, the heat comes fast and proper, then it just dwindles and the cloud turns to a whisp

It's interesting witnessing the algorithms and logic at work - but the ones in this Ti aren't crash hot.
Still, two nice hits so far at T5 and the effects are great. But, without the same components as my new unit, it just isn't too similar. The Blue is at least similar in function to the new one (besides the switch), but it's hotter. So, that at least is a jackpot for me, for the time being

Last edited:

JoeMama

Greetings...

After 7 months I just got back a grey Ti from RMA Land...

So far, it seems to be working very well....

I notice the "clicking" sound it makes while operating, on this device, is very faint, but the output on T3.5-4 is stellar.

I just sent in another grey Ti to them for RMA, which I'd been using but always underperformed.
Based on what I'm reading here, I don't expect to see it for at least 6 months.

After all this time with Hoppers, I've assuaged any sense of owning a reliable vape by using oil cartridges.
The days of relying on a Hopper are over, far as I'm concerned. They're great when they work, but I needed a better system to depend upon.

MoltenTiger

Kind of don't even want to think about it seeing as a 2 week estimate from HL can be as long as a year or more.
:ugh:

Yeah it really sucks, what with the huge waits and the sporadic end result.

It's worth it to send it away, but it's a serious nuisance.

My blue GH properly hits super hard. Close to a portable sublimator. We'll see how long it can keep that up

slcbdco

Brewer, Lobbyist, Vaporist
thanks for sharing, hope it works out for you in the long run at least :\

Any takes on what that 3-6 is gonna grow into? :uhoh:

interesting new site they've moved to at least. Any idea how long ago they moved @slcbdco ?

They were in the process of moving last week so I’m guessing they'll take a bit to also get established in the new place. The reason they moved is because the building they were in is being redeveloped. They’re still in Boulder

hillbill

Probably backlogged so bad from letting people go. Batteries will probably appear after the manufacturer is paid. Returns no doubt ate up profits and shit out big expenses. Hopper Labs may have a very low profile by July.........6 months.

voodoo_vape

Vapour RebeL
So, last weekend while I was in Hamburg I was robbed by three Arabs. Aside from a few other worthful vapes and my whole luggage with my notebook they robbed my GH Ti with 8 bats in a customized leather pouch from @Ratchett with a lot of accessories and material - fuck them!

I'm so sorry to hear that dude... Bloody bastards... fuck them all the way... did they hurt you as well?

Vaporific

All who wander are not lost...
They were in the process of moving last week so I’m guessing they'll take a bit to also get established in the new place. The reason they moved is because the building they were in is being redeveloped. They’re still in Boulder
They probably haven't unpacked their computers yet - I still haven't gotten an update on my RMA in which I emailed them on 1/12 asking for one and wishing them a Happy New Year. It would be happier with a working Hopper. Their last message was around Thanksgiving:

"Your unit has arrived and is in the service department queue. Due to the backlog of devices needing to be upgraded, service can take 60-90 days or more at this time. I don't yet have a more exact estimation do to your device arriving relativly recently. Your Hopper will be returned with new and improved Version 5 parts."

“The waiting is the hardest part.” (TP RIP)

So, last weekend while I was in Hamburg I was robbed by three Arabs. Aside from a few other worthful vapes and my whole luggage with my notebook they robbed my GH Ti with 8 bats in a customized leather pouch from @Ratchett with a lot of accessories and material - fuck them!
Sorry to hear this. I hope you’re ok, which is the most important thing. Possessions can be replaced, people cannot. :peace:

Last edited by a moderator:

Hammahead

I have used a friends Sublimator and imo it's way more effective than anything else I ever tried. Insane clouds, we extracted the entire resin out of a 120-150 mg portion of weed in one (1) toke and we looked like contestants in a vape-off. Way too heavy for me and way to complex to handle, also the super hot metal rod makes me afraid. Also the price tag is way out of what I'm willing to pay for such a device. But it's an experience I'm glad to have made.

Hammahead

subliminator doesnt have a 5 second heat up? like @Cheesequake said NOthing hits harder then a fully functioning hopper i repeat NO THING. lol

While you are right with the speed, that's two different things. The Sub is not comparable in any respect, but it definitely is capable of out-clouding most devices on the market, even the Verdamper or the VapeXhale Evo. Trust me, I've been there. Just watch a few reviews to see what that thing can do. I would probably NEVER buy it, cause it's such a helluva hassle to use, it's ridiculous, plus just insanely priced. But it does what it does.

elykpeace

exVASted
While you are right with the speed, that's two different things. The Sub is not comparable in any respect, but it definitely is capable of out-clouding most devices on the market, even the Verdamper or the VapeXhale Evo. Trust me, I've been there. Just watch a few reviews to see what that thing can do. I would probably NEVER buy it, cause it's such a helluva hassle to use, it's ridiculous, plus just insanely priced. But it does what it does.
no thanks besides the price i have no need for a desktop. and the speed is a huge factor. you can plug your sub in and wait around for optimal heat but 5 seconds to get pretty close to the same temp? GH is where its at.

gs-sub-vrod-fp they are all too much for me to handle. the GH is jut as powerful however fits in my hand. granted the cs sucks for most (not an issue for me thus far) and reliability is spotty at best ive been weilding a hopper for about a year now and i had to send it in but got it back repaired 2 weeks later so i cant complain about that. my hoppers still my number one and i wish the design could be tweaked a tiny bit to make it more reliable but idk how the wireless construction works.

MoltenTiger

subliminator doesnt have a 5 second heat up? like @Cheesequake said NOthing hits harder then a fully functioning hopper i repeat NO THING. lol
Takes about 20 mins of pre-heating the empty device to properly get up to temp, then it vaporises huge clouds almost instantly.
The GH takes a few seconds to heat up, and then some time for the vapour to peak in density.

The Sub is very powerful and can fit small or huge herb samples. The GH takes small to moderate amounts

Last edited:

Vapor_Eyes

taste buds
NOthing hits harder then a fully functioning hopper i repeat NO THING. lol

you can plug your sub in and wait around for optimal heat but 5 seconds to get pretty close to the same temp?
Make up your mind lol :p

Is the Grasshopper the hardest hitting or pretty close to the same thing? I love my hoppers but they’re not the hardest hitting, they’re up there but not the top dog in my opinion. Pretty close to the same thing. And I haven’t even tried a Sub or Supreme. I think I would be more inclined to purchase the Supreme though, but that’s simply because of my needs and usage scenario. Do whatever works for you is what I say. :2c:

Last edited:

MoltenTiger

Is the Grasshopper the hardest hitting or pretty close to the same thing?
Certainly not the hardest hitting, but certainly one of the closest portables to being properly hard hitting, and the only ultraportable that is.

However, there is a massive difference between the effect given from my HT unit which has been pumping clouds since May 21, and the blue Ti unit I got back last Monday.
The Blue Ti is getting hotter than 210 for sure. The ABV is extra dark, like it looks like it's from the VapCap or the Sub when it's dialled way up (a few notches over what I opt for).

The big thing is that the GH is fully convection, whilst the Sub is hybrid. They don't really hit the same to begin with, but I mean, these devices are hitting hard enough to cause minor hallucination, so that's certainly something.
My HT unit would need a big load of kief before I start getting the same types of hits, while the Blue Ti is creating a ridiculous amount of cloudage from flower.

My Ti unit returned with the blue one is okay, it takes much longer to heat up, but it's also putting out some solid clouds. Just not as consistently as my other two units (which keep the cloud density during the hit, the plain Ti seems to fluctuate a bit in temp as its running).

The full force of the GH is great to have, it's a true bong replacement.

I've been enjoying my HT a lot, but I haven't used it much since having access to the blue.

But, yesterday I was working from home and chose not to use the blue, because I'd get too baked.

These old GHs are all over the place, which actually makes having 3 that much more worthwhile, but there's no such thing as a perfect hopper - or a perfect vape.
The Sub is amazing, but it's ridiculous. Having 90% of the power in a blue pen is just insane.

So, I'll be happy whilst it's working but I don't think it will stand the test of time... but who knows.

Hammahead

no thanks besides the price i have no need for a desktop. and the speed is a huge factor. you can plug your sub in and wait around for optimal heat but 5 seconds to get pretty close to the same temp? GH is where its at.

There's a reason I own two Hoppers and won't probably even buy a sublimator when I win that lottery in 60 to 90 days (or later).

The Sub is amazing, but it's ridiculous.

Couldn't be put shorter and more precisely.

elykpeace

exVASted
Make up your mind lol :p

Is the Grasshopper the hardest hitting or pretty close to the same thing? I love my hoppers but they’re not the hardest hitting, they’re up there but not the top dog in my opinion. Pretty close to the same thing. And I haven’t even tried a Sub or Supreme. I think I would be more inclined to purchase the Supreme though, but that’s simply because of my needs and usage scenario. Do whatever works for you is what I say. :2c:

shoot mine is HARD hitting. its worked out for me for about a year now. i guess we need someone with both to put it to a test.

edit: @Hammahead good luck with the lotto!

Last edited:
Top Bottom