• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Discontinued The Grasshopper

ooo

just checking in with some positive news and give hope to others out there wondering if they should purchase a Hopper. i'm now 8 months in with mine and it's been trouble free. never had any signs of poor performance or any hiccups along the way. i have noticed a minimal decline in battery performance with the GHB1's but that is to be expected. i still haven't turned on my 2nd Hopper that i bought as a backup to see if it even works. i've been so happy with this vape that VAS doesn't even get to me anymore.

:)

WoodyWeedPecker

Grasshopper-cleaning-instructions.jpg

Yeap! I knew I remembered that... :p 24 hours soaking up to the air intake holes...

Ok, you win. :p I was hoping somebody would still have those instructions somewhere.

It's a bit reassuring to me that hopper labs thought it was completely fine to submerge the grasshopper up to the air holes. The graph above means that by design, they didn't mind iso above the screen and even on the heater!! They just didn't want iso to drip inside the rest of the body and they didn't want you to use your grasshopper before it completely dried. Clearly, using your hopper before it dried up completely could be damaging to you hopper. Now I feel better about using a slightly iso damped q-tip on the screen.

Last edited:

vapviking

Old & In the Way
Ok, you win. :p I hoped somebody would have those instructions somewhere.

It's a bit reassuring to me that hopper labs thought it was completely fine to submerge the grasshopper up to the air holes. The graph above means that by design, they didn't mind iso above the screen and even on the heater!! They just didn't want iso to drip inside the rest of the body and they didn't want you to use your grasshopper before it completely dried. Clearly, using you hopper before it dried up completely could be damaging to you hopper. Now I feel better about using a slightly iso damped q-tip on the screen.
dudes, he's photoshopped the manual to show this bogus procedure. My paper copies don't show this.

Vapor_Eyes

taste buds
Actually, @biohacker, interestingly enough the online manual is not the most current.

I found the post I was thinking of, and also found that the old manual is still on Hopper Labs' website:

https://www.grasshoppervape.com/information/manual/

I never looked at the user manual from my pre-order, but now have both it and my OG's open in-front of me.

That is interesting, I wonder why they removed it.

3. VAPORIZE
C. Inhale firmly through the mouthpiece. Your Grasshopper can keep up. DO NOT(sic) exhale into the vaporizer. This can damage the device.​

The newer version says

3. VAPORIZE
C. Inhale firmly through the mouth piece. Your Grasshopper can keep up.
D. An auto-off feature will put your device in standby if more than 15 seconds elapses between draws.​

There are other differences too; the text is +1pt, or it could just be a more bold font type.
There is CE and FCC certification now.
However, most interesting is the differences in the warranty column.

First paragraph, "original purchaser" is now simply "purchaser".
Third paragraph, "submerging the device in liquid while on," is now just "submerging the device in liquid,"

The last paragraphs are quite different;

"This warranty covers only the original purchaser of the device. The purchasing invoice must be kept to receive service.

The owner of the device is responsible for shipping it back to us for warranty service. Any shipping charges incurred by this are the responsibility of the owner.

To receive service you must contact service@grasshoppervape.com. In order to improve the device and future service, we ask that you explain the failure of your device in detail when submitting a request. Any request for service not processed through this contact will not be fulfilled."

Nowadays,

"In order to receive service you must create an account and register your grasshopper through ghvape.com. To complete registration you will need both the ID Code found on the outside of the box and the Serial number found on the back of the device.

Once you've registered your Grasshopper, a warranty request can then be submitted through Account>Your Grasshopper. Any requests for service not processed through this system will not be fulfilled. Once the device is registered, the warranty cannot be transferred.

The owner of the device is responsible for shipping in both directions during warranty service. Any shipping charges incurred are the responsibility of the owner."

That last bit I found most interesting... both ways?!

There's a lot of interesting differences there, but still no mention of submerging the chamber in iso. For what it's worth, the SS hopper I received in June 2016 came with the newer manual.

Last edited:

vapviking

Old & In the Way
I don't think that's photoshopped.

Go here and you can see a picture of the earlier manual containing the ISO soak instructions.

http://www.vaporizerwizard.com/grasshopper-vaporizer-faq/grasshopper-cleaning-instructions/

It is no longer contained in the most current online version at Hopper's website.
So, did Buzz Danklin photo shop it? lol!

There is more to this than I imagined, so, apologies to @WoodyWeedPecker !
My manuals are from August '16 and do not have the soak up to the eyeballs technique.

Modicum

I have a GH that's 2mos. old ,lightly used.Have only had to charge it 4 times, but on the 5th time the red flashing light never turned blue (over 8 hrs.charging) It works fine, goes from red to blue when in use.Has anyone had a similar problem? or is it much to do about nothing

Modicum,

almost there

I guess there's at least 3 manuals. Buzz Danklin posted that image way back in March 2015.

I wonder if and when HL will start to require us to pay shipping both ways.
I just emailed hopper labs, I'll let u know what they have to say regarding that warranty question when I hear back. My order is still "processing", if warranty policy changes I will have to back out of the purchase. Given how often some owners get their units serviced I don't need that kind of added expense if I wind up being one of the unlucky ones.

natural farmer

dudes, he's photoshopped the manual to show this bogus procedure. My paper copies don't show this.

Had a good laugh with the Photoshop comments!
Come on guys! I just did a simple Google image search and this pic came up from Buzz's site. Remember he had the first Hopper out there... This was the first manual out in public. Does anyone really think Buzz would Photoshop it? :p
I am sure they changed that out cause people always do stupid things, especially us stoners, and it would be just a matter of time before someone submerged the holes in ISO as well! :lol: I doubt it could be harmful if you let it dry out completely but why Hopper labs take this chance? I wouldn't... But that shit backfired unfortunatelly and dirty Hoppers obviously get all kinds of trouble when gunked up.
There could be a way for HL to clear this mess by giving out free cleaning containers for the body to be submerged with clear markings on how full with ISO the container should be and strict instructions to let it dry for at least 24 hours in a non-humid environment. Anyway it wouldn't be that hard to figure out if a Hopper is busted due to a short by checking the circuit board, no? :\

JCat

Accessory Maker
Had a good laugh with the Photoshop comments!
Come on guys! I just did a simple Google image search and this pic came up from Buzz's site. Remember he had the first Hopper out there... This was the first manual out in public. Does anyone really think Buzz would Photoshop it? :p
I am sure they changed that out cause people always do stupid things, especially us stoners, and it would be just a matter of time before someone submerged the holes in ISO as well! :lol: I doubt it could be harmful if you let it dry out completely but why Hopper labs take this chance? I wouldn't... But that shit backfired unfortunatelly and dirty Hoppers obviously get all kinds of trouble when gunked up.
There could be a way for HL to clear this mess by giving out free cleaning containers for the body to be submerged with clear markings on how full with ISO the container should be and strict instructions to let it dry for at least 24 hours in a non-humid environment. Anyway it wouldn't be that hard to figure out if a Hopper is busted due to a short by checking the circuit board, no? :\
What would be a good idea before following this procedure, would be a silicone band around the hopper (fairly tight), to cover the intake holes--that would prevent accidentally getting ISO in there.

So ... HL should include the following w/ the hoppers:
1. Screen removal tool for the oven
2. Silicone band and instructions for cleaning the hopper oven
3. Screen removal and insertion tool for the front-end (maybe optional)

They could even charge extra for these, but #2 should at least be included ... and if #2 can be performed perhaps #1 is not required? #3 isn't really required I don't think, but for those of us that are obsessive about cleaning we want one!

natural farmer

What would be a good idea before following this procedure, would be a silicone band around the hopper (fairly tight), to cover the intake holes--that would prevent accidentally getting ISO in there.

So ... HL should include the following w/ the hoppers:
1. Screen removal tool for the oven
2. Silicone band and instructions for cleaning the hopper oven
3. Screen removal and insertion tool for the front-end (maybe optional)

They could even charge extra for these, but #2 should at least be included ... and if #2 can be performed perhaps #1 is not required? #3 isn't really required I don't think, but for those of us that are obsessive about cleaning we want one!
Sounded like a good idea initially but on second thought the ISO would just enter that area from inside the heater holes, the band wouldn't do much...
Agree on the rest!

JCat

Accessory Maker
lol ... ok ... you're probably right! Might buy you some time for accidental splash/insertion though ...

I just cut a piece of silicone tube (1/2"), and put it on and took a picture to provide an example ... seems kinda' pointless now ... :lol: ...

Hogni

Honi soit qui mal y pense
The intake holes are mainly a measure for toplevel of ISO but they arent the only prob.
ISO can still penetrate screens of the bowl up to the electronics and damage them if level of ISO in the container is to high.

EDIT: To late....;)

Receptor

So I figure to do a few maintenance things with my SS in good working order....
Twistng, clicking, turning temp dial and used compressed air to dis-lodge any debris...non detected.
Put end parts back......temp dial frozen??.. unless I back of a bit on threaded batt connection??

Upon further inspection with a 30x magnifier i noticed there are AIR openings under the clip
and one AIR slot on the flat body part next to the threads on the back end.
The mysteries continuous......air buoyancy thru-out the entire body

CANNABIS....Cluster Headache....ReNew...Mission. Good to-Go!!!

Hjalmark

Oldest boy alive
So this is what the Xtar vc2 looks like in voltage in a fully charged hopper battery
CO44rnR.jpg
it slows down the charging at 4.1 and then creeps to 4.21 for the last minute before the charge flashes and says "full"

Not tried the other charges or am I in anyway an expert, just got a multimeter so I can advance my diy hobbies, thought it was interesting to show this charger max voltage

Also I am running out of stuff to measure with it :)

Sooooo wanna measure the pass through current of the hopper body but don't dare to because yeah ... Killing my hopper :D

I went ahead and practiced on the electric mains in the house instead

Safer bet

almost there

I guess there's at least 3 manuals. Buzz Danklin posted that image way back in March 2015.

I wonder if and when HL will start to require us to pay shipping both ways.
So got a pretty quick reply about that question from Caroline

"We cover the shipping costs to return the repaired Hopper to you. This may change in the future, but for now, the customer sends it to us and we send it back. You can view the warranty policy in the owner’s manual on GHVApe.com under the INFORMATION tab."

Guess I'm still in, now please let it come soon:bang:

abcd5432

The main reason I got my vaporizer was because I could disassemble it for cleaning. I'm happy to have followed the thread. It seems you just need a set of tweezers that aren't sharp enough to scratch up the screen in order to remove the screen for cleaning and you're all set in being able to pretty much clean the whole unit out.

Am I getting that right?

abcd5432,

Mr. Me2

The main reason I got my vaporizer was because I could disassemble it for cleaning. I'm happy to have followed the thread. It seems you just need a set of tweezers that aren't sharp enough to scratch up the screen in order to remove the screen for cleaning and you're all set in being able to pretty much clean the whole unit out.

Am I getting that right?
There are 2 screens (or maybe 3?).

One in the mouthpiece that can screw in and out. The tweezers help with that.

The other screen is at the bottom of the oven. That's what was being discussed recently when somebody (I forget who, please forgive me) figured out how to remove it and found gunk to clean underneath. But for now, that level of cleaning doesn't seem to be recommended by ghl.

So if you're talking about cleaning the mouthpiece, you're right. Personally, I don't disassemble it; I just soak the whole thing. But others do and have found more gunk.

I just wanted to make sure you were talking about the mouthpiece.

Gramin

AV are perfectly happy with me keeping the B/E from the faulty Hopper so I'm going to be sending them the faulty body and new but extremely poor QC'ed B/E. I'm happy to have a perfectly good GH even if I had to pay for two at this stage lol.

Will be personally pushing it this weekend and doing a full stress test before I send the broken parts back. :brow::goon:

I think a desktop vape option has really caught my eye today too:

I love the Hopper but actually watching your herb be vaped through glass is just too damn cool.

EDIT: Damn if I had of known I could get a Ti kit for $365 AUD (paid $310AUD for 2nd GH) I'd have been allll over that!

I see a few people from this thread are already in the know with the Ti :p

Last edited:

voodoo_vape

Vapour RebeL
Although I do remember them recommending dipping the body up to the holes in ISO to clean the oven... In a tall shot glass if I am not mistaken. Maybe this cleaning takes care of all the debris under the oven screens?

Maybe indeed, but then where this debris would go if you're not supposed to open the screen? The holes there are really tiny so that it gets dissolved through them. Either case, I don't see the reason that opening that screen could lead to a void warranty.. as long as the oven compartment stays undamaged, you should be fine. The screen loosening could probably give you away, but that's only if you overdo it pulling it in and out.

Only as long as they are in business, mate. And design and reliability issues have killed companies before.

One of my real objections to the GH is the overlapping, different, and confusing failure/issue symptoms coupled with Hopper sending a bunch of units back to the owners with no fault found.

A VERY long time ago I worked on a mathematical/software implemented model intended to identify areas of ambiguity in self-test, test points, and failure indications. If, for example, by taking a reading at Test Point A, it is not possible to tell if the failed module is Module 1, 2 or 3, then these modules are in an ambiguity group and the design is insufficient in that it cannot discriminate the actual failure.

Sure seems we get a LOT of that with the GH.

Since you know these guys, ask they what the heck their expectations are for owners to keep the area beneath the initial oven screen clean. I don't care how small the screen holes are, with enough usage stuff is going to get in there. What was their plan for this...just another RMA? Personally, I think that screen should be removable by the owner without voiding warranty and that they should post instructions on how to do this in their manual.

All - I bet a dental pick would work well. I have a very cheap set and it comes with straight as well as small dog leg shaped very sharp picks. But the warranty implications worry me about doing this at all.

Cheers

Including some tool as well so that their product is not damaged. The state of the bottom of the oven, in less than 3-month usage, should be an extra reason that they provide lifetime warranty and not the screen removal i'd say..

My initial claims that my hopper has become stronger now, were confirmed by my friend as well that he turned round to me and he thought the same without me telling him something.. I wonder how this beast would work with a properly cleaned up body, from top to bottom..
Moreover, I got a reply from HL last night telling me to send them my hopper back to be serviced.. Shall I tell'em that it's back to normal after a thorough clean? I'm not willing to send my unit back now that it seems to be fine.. I'll tell them to wait few days and then close the request..

ps: nice piece of history that manual @natural farmer I thought that it was your bro's at the beginning..

Top Bottom