Discontinued The Grasshopper

Hogni

Honi soit qui mal y pense
IMO such actions as disassembling parts (here screens of mp and herb chamber) which are not part of provided operation instructions or safety instructions (see under 'safety - damage') will not be covered by warranty.
If they can see that you have disassembled the screens they can refuse a case of warranty if they want.

Last edited:

MoltenTiger

wow my quotes have become sizeable.. here goes
The Hopper's front-end has a durable, machine etched stainless steel screen. Not only does it not need to be replaced, but this screen is also designed to withstand scratching during cleaning. Scrape the screen with a small tool or unscrew your backend and use the end of your clip to remove leftover plant material.
It is a pretty damn nice screen.
But quality medical fine nose tweezers should be made of a harder alloy. Plus the scratches weren't deep.
But I still think a tool would have been appropriate to include, or have available, for the front end and the chamber screen. (I've heard a lot of people bought tweezers specifically for screen removal, I mean, come on!) you snooze you lo$e HL

@MoltenTiger , funny but my habit recently changed to counterclockwise swirl (a la George Costanza?) when I swab mp with q-tip or trusty toothpick. I hope to swish stuff in the direction that will carry it up and out of the threads rather than drive stuff down into threads.
That makes some sense, I've had great luck with PBW, IPA and pipecleaners with the threads FWIW

Amazing that after these what, 3 years, we are now drilling down deeper on the cleanliness thing (inside Hopper Body, not just mp), as relates to functionality, serviceability, folklore, catastrophic failure and viability.
Well, these 3 years represent basically all the testing the device has had!
So, with that in mind, they actually have done remarkably well

There's a lot of interesting differences there, but still no mention of submerging the chamber in iso. For what it's worth, the SS hopper I received in June 2016 came with the newer manual.
Nah, the submerging was from the initial manual (the manual existed before the vape I think :p)
I think SneakyPete, or someone, did a youtube video walkthrough of it around the same time, it is mostly the same in essence. (apart from the already called out differences).

I feel like the removal of the DON'T BLOW AIR INTO IT and the SUBMERGE (WHILE ON) were risk assessments where they weighed up it was better to just accept shipments and pay some postage in order to prevent total catastrophic destruction.
I'm thinking if isopropyl dissolves inevitable resin and flows and sticks/dries to circuitry, that is how bad things happen.
If this happens on the upper end of the circuitry, the sensors, they could die (thermal shcok/short circuit), but they can be easily replaced in-house.
PCBs are worth many thousand percent more than sensors.
Even though they now produce (pick/place) in house, this was a monumental achievement. Like fuck budgeting that in.

One line I found weird from the manual is under Safety & Use: "Product for current smokers only"
Bloody liability and law.
We're a bunch of strange creatures :shrug:

lol ... ok ... you're probably right! Might buy you some time for accidental splash/insertion though ...

I just cut a piece of silicone tube (1/2"), and put it on and took a picture to provide an example ... seems kinda' pointless now ... :lol: ...
You want to use that hole blocker to test the air gap in the clip? :)
Fully assemble a unit with the ring on, don't turn the device on just suck.
You'll probably get airflow, how much is the question.

So I figure to do a few maintenance things with my SS in good working order....
Twistng, clicking, turning temp dial and used compressed air to dis-lodge any debris...non detected.
Put end parts back......temp dial frozen??.. unless I back of a bit on threaded batt connection??

Upon further inspection with a 30x magnifier i noticed there are AIR openings under the clip
and one AIR slot on the flat body part next to the threads on the back end.
The mysteries continuous......air buoyancy thru-out the entire body

CANNABIS....Cluster Headache....ReNew...Mission. Good to-Go!!!
Nice observation, totally missed this before!
You can see it with the naked eye, the SS ring under the clip has a raised edge below the clip, the threads below would really limit airflow though.

Cool, you got me to get my battery-less dead blue unit to check it, and now it's not dead (semi dead still, these faults are clearly computational, I have some theories).
Firstly, I chucked a fresh battery in it, and it worked 'properly' (long heat up, indicates imminent not workingness).
Then I was like, fuck yeah, it's heating up I want to blast some air through this thing to try and suck kief/whatever out of the heater. (it just started straight to blue yet again ><)
I did get a number of good drags on it before it just died again.

And it was very evident that the heater was pulsing (but with prolonged gaps between, which is abnormal and is why it's not heating properly).

45W / 3.6V = 12.5A
45W / 4.2V = 10.7A

... in theory ...
It has a maximum draw of 45W, ie. the assembly has a max potential of 45W.

The heater is driven via pulse width modulation (PWM) like a CPU fan.
CPU fans are 4-pin, not 3-pin like ordinary computer case fans.
The extra pin gives additional control over the fan speed and software can monitor and control the RPM.
A standard rail pushes 12V to fans, PWM fans pulse this energy in a sequence which does not start or stop the fan.
Instead of having full power and a fixed speed, PWM can respond to temp sensors and actively control the fan RPM for audible reasons.

The hopper is the same, but instead of spinning something, it is heating it.
However, the constant power rail is a variable DC battery, and the voltage is controlled via a potentiometer in the back-end.

The software/computer that runs the hopper is pretty advanced, I'm no electrical engineer, but I would imagine one of them would be impressed with the board designs the hopper has.
They do a lot with tiny space and crazy thermal conditions.

However, it appears that with the backlash of more bowls desired per battery, firmware gets tweaked and I believe it's these tweaks that can cause the typical issues.
For example, the 'double-click to cloud city' might be a direct response to an initial (higher capacity battery) charge being detected and selectively is not utilised to its full extent, to save additional power for subsequent hits.
This caps the power during the power sequence, and the hopper performs badly.
Re-initiate the sequence and all of a sudden "cloud city".

If the firmware runs out of sync with the hardware, congratulations. Red then dead, cop lights, straight to blue.
They all mean something to HL. And it's probably fairly straight forward to fix it once enough cases have been observed and the problem understood.

Guess I'm still in, now please let it come soon:bang:
I think you made the right decision.
My hopperversary is tomorrow, and well, what a year it has been! (only one or two weeks sans hopper, and very few days off otherwise!)

I think a desktop vape option has really caught my eye today too:
Yeah that one looks decent!
But there are things I'd like different.

The chamber should be insulated, doubled walled glass would do, aerogel though (it's 2017 right?)

Hmm that's pretty much it :p

Where can I get one for a dollarydoo a day? With an AU plug?
Hell yeah, half as much AUD as a sublimator!

There's actually an australian company who makes an enail based herb vape..
I think it was from OZEnail
I'll try and seek it out, last time I saw it it was in development.

My initial claims that my hopper has become stronger now, were confirmed by my friend as well that he turned round to me and he thought the same without me telling him something
Nothing better than watching someone enjoy a phat cloud, well apart from hearing them complain about being too high from it 10 mins later :)

EDIT: yep she a loong post :p
Must be time to crank some 'erb

biohacker

I see a few people from this thread are already in the know with the Ti

The Herborizer Ti is the only vape on my VAS now that I have the Supreme 3. I owned the Herborizer Classic (non XL) about a decade back when I first got into vaping and it is connoisseur level. I tried @lazylathe Herbo XL a little while back and fell back in love. I'll be picking up the Ti at some point, as I feel it's the best convection desktop on the market IMO for the purist. Nothing like only a screen between your meds and your lungs! See you in the Herborizer thread dude!

@MoltenTiger - dude, that's gotta be a new FC record bro! :rockon:

virtualpurple

So guys, I've been off the thread for a bit after my hopper got frustrating and buggy (heated up, but lights no longer operated at all. I filled out a warranty request back in september and am just now getting around to sending the thing in.

Have people with recent warranty services felt like their products came back reliable or is it still as much as a crapshoot as the earlier days of release? I'm hoping the folks at hopper labs have honed things a bit so this thing can live up to its potential.

virtualpurple,

biohacker

Have people with recent warranty services felt like their products came back reliable or is it still as much as a crapshoot as the earlier days of release? I'm hoping the folks at hopper labs have honed things a bit so this thing can live up to its potential.

You can read about my recent 3 RMA's within the last couple of pages, but one thing I did forget to report was that HL did the 'ol switcheroo on me with one of my chargers. I sent a newer v.2 and they sent back a v.1. Don't really care because I never use them anyway. Anyways, long storey short they replaced 3 backends and now they work great, except for one of the bodies that got the coplights after coming back from the lab.

vapviking

Old & In the Way
So guys, I've been off the thread for a bit after my hopper got frustrating and buggy (heated up, but lights no longer operated at all. I filled out a warranty request back in september and am just now getting around to sending the thing in.

If postage isn't painful (from the US it's cheap!) then the warranty process is typically really easy and pretty quick turnaround. Some occasional stumbles* from the fledgling company.

The one I just got back is working like a champ, go figure. Some folks report Hopper longevity that is surprising in comparison to my experience.
Of the two I've been using, my average is less than two months between claims, though getting marginally better over time. I'm fortunate to be close to a post office. Send one out and get it back in 7 to 10 days total.
There's still a very quirky aspect, but some actually believe the reliability rate is getting better (or it would have killed HL by now).
Hoppers are still working effin' great, when working. Do it!

*1975, I was a relatively new hire as a driver doing interstate deliveries for young and very hip natural food distributor. One day they started a new policy, "No pot smoking while driving." (I swear wasn't the only one doing it!) I actually quit, though I did have another prospective situation waiting...

virtualpurple

You can read about my recent 3 RMA's within the last couple of pages, but one thing I did forget to report was that HL did the 'ol switcheroo on me with one of my chargers. I sent a newer v.2 and they sent back a v.1. Don't really care because I never use them anyway. Anyways, long storey short they replaced 3 backends and now they work great, except for one of the bodies that got the coplights after coming back from the lab.

Thanks for the quick reply! I appreciate the info. I too have never really used the chargers, everything I had read many pages ago seemed to go the direction of using a regular bay charger, and some speculated that the chargers may even be culprit for some malfunctions. Whether any of that were true I have no idea really, I just couldn't keep pace with it all and started to lose interest as my other more reliable vapes had taken front seat. Hoping that my new hopper will work great and I can try it out with some non-cannabis herbs (On a hiatus waiting for the federal hiring freeze to end so I can take a leak for the government).

If postage isn't painful (from the US it's cheap!) then the warranty process is typically really easy and pretty quick turnaround. Some occasional stumbles* from the fledgling company.

The one I just got back is working like a champ, go figure. Some folks report Hopper longevity that is surprising in comparison to my experience.
Of the two I've been using, my average is less than two months between claims, though getting marginally better over time. I'm fortunate to be close to a post office. Send one out and get it back in 7 to 10 days total.
There's still a very quirky aspect, but some actually believe the reliability rate is getting better (or it would have killed HL by now).
Hoppers are still working effin' great, when working. Do it!

*1975, I was a relatively new hire as a driver doing interstate deliveries for young and very hip natural food distributor. One day they started a new policy, "No pot smoking while driving." (I swear wasn't the only one doing it!) I actually quit, though I did have another prospective situation waiting...

Thank you for throwing in your experience! Truth be told I hate going to the post office and have not warrantied or sold many vapes to avoid all that mess. I got a membership with one of the online postal companies and use their software to weight my stuff on a digital scale so I can pay the postage right from home. I have a box with Hopper labs and one with RBT packaged up right now to get dropped in a box tomorrow!

lazylathe

Almost there...
SS Hopper stress testing update!

So far no new issues have been seen or any previous ones!
I am only using the GH now and it has performed very well!

My technique has slightly changed as well with regards to the temp 5, empty oven burn-offs.
I will now use the GH as normal for 4 bowls, empty and clean chamber and then place it on charge.
Once fully charged i heat to temp 5 and inhale as hard as i can for at least 10 seconds.
For the first dry hit i am usually awarded with a small light puff of vapor, must be oil on the screen that is super heated off. Minor effects from the oil as well, nice little kick start to the day!

Since doing this daily or a couple of times during the day, I have found my GH to be as good as the first day i tried it! A bit more maintenance but so long as it helps!

Also hoping that just under the first screen is as far up as oil can get...

As far as chargers go, i am just using the GH supplied magnetic charger with very good results!
I am using it with a Scosche Switching Adapter, output 5v, 2.1A
It is the small cube with two USB outputs:
http://www.scosche.com/revive-hc2-dual-5-watt-1a-usb-wall-car-nexus-4-charger

vapviking

Old & In the Way
Had a good laugh with the Photoshop comments!
Come on guys! I just did a simple Google image search and this pic came up from Buzz's site. Remember he had the first Hopper out there... This was the first manual out in public. Does anyone really think Buzz would Photoshop it? :p
I am sure they changed that out cause people always do stupid things, especially us stoners, and it would be just a matter of time before someone submerged the holes in ISO as well! :lol: I doubt it could be harmful if you let it dry out completely but why Hopper labs take this chance? I wouldn't... But that shit backfired unfortunatelly and dirty Hoppers obviously get all kinds of trouble when gunked up.
There could be a way for HL to clear this mess by giving out free cleaning containers for the body to be submerged with clear markings on how full with ISO the container should be and strict instructions to let it dry for at least 24 hours in a non-humid environment. Anyway it wouldn't be that hard to figure out if a Hopper is busted due to a short by checking the circuit board, no? :\
It's now old news, but I meant to circle back and offer apology to you for saying that you altered that image of the manual when it's clear that it was not altered.

natural farmer

It's now old news, but I meant to circle back and offer apology to you for saying that you altered that image of the manual when it's clear that it was not altered.
No worries bro, wasn't offended at all. :tup: To be frank, I didn't even know they changed the manual, I thought body dipping was still mentioned in it like I remembered! :p

Icon13

Serial Vapist

I got my Hopper in October. I filled out a warranty request yesterday. It is for an issue that has happened before, the straight to Blue Light with no heat issue. When I receive the next body it will be my 6th body. I received the most previous body about 3.5 weeks ago. I am a heavy user and I have not had a body last me more than a month so far. It's actually getting quite ridiculous.

It has gotten to the point where I can tell about when my Hopper is going to stop working. You will notice that the front end gets quite a bit warmer, even hot, when it is on its way out. The vapor production will also not be nearly as thick or solid white as quickly. Once this happens I know it's just about that time. I kept telling myself that I was just being paranoid, and that this unit was going to last for the long run. But of course, once I started experiencing those two variables it wasn't much longer until the unit stopped working altogether. AGAIN.

WTF!

Baron23

When I receive the next body it will be my 6th body. I received the most previous body about 3.5 weeks ago. I am a heavy user and I have not had a body last me more than a month so far. It's actually getting quite ridiculous.

Its stuff like this that gets my blood pressure up when the inevitable Hopper Labs personal friends and defenders pop up and tell us how wonderful everything is.

This is NOT fucking acceptable and its NOT a single isolated case.

Says he whose GH is still going strong (I admit it, mine has for some reason stayed strong but its only used maybe a few times a week...its in rotation).

Reliability improvement engineering and QA needs to be Hoppers laser like focus and if these guys really were aerospace engineers then they damn well know it.

Also, how the f*ck do you justify 6 RMAs on a unit without just shipping a completely new unit to the owner. Unsat. A lemon is a lemon.

Last edited:

Lou Taylor

For a solo vape I love the GH. I have not yet had the opportunity to share it. I am a bit concerned (over protective?) that using it with others may cause an uncomfortable level of heat rather quickly. I am getting ready for a 3 week long 'camping' trip and thinking a Haze vape will be better for group sessions, and as a backup. The GH is so impressive who am I kidding here? perhaps the haze should stay at home?

Crossing fingers, there is a bill in New Mexico right now to legalize cannabis! This state could sure use the income.

almost there

Its stuff like this that gets my blood pressure up when the inevitable Hopper Labs personal friends and defenders pop up and tell us how wonderful everything is.

Says he whose GH is still going strong (I admit it, mine has for some reason stayed strong but its only used maybe a few times a week...its in rotation).

Reliability improvement engineering and QA needs to be Hoppers laser like focus and if these guys really were aerospace engineers then they damn well know it.

Also, how the f*ck do you justify 6 RMAs on a unit without just shipping a completely new unit to the owner. Unsat.
I don't understand the economic advantages to replacing so many bodies and shipping expenses vs just replacing the whole unit. That and the added gratitude of a faithful customer seems like a smarter choice but then I don't know if they worried it might start a stampede of RMA's? I agree it makes no logical sense in any of the angles for me as a consumer. @Icon13 have u ever demanded for a complete replacement given your high number of problems?
@Lou Taylor why not bring both? It's not like they'll be taking up so much space. Why risk having ur hopper fail during ur trip and ruin your fun

Carlos8400

Well, just as i was clicking on this thread, my GH died, red/blue lights of doom.

This is actually my second one, my original one had a 78xx serial and was DOA, the replacement has a 48xx serial. I survived 1 month of light use...

Not overly impressed, since i am not in the US i hope i can get it replaced without to much trouble.

Icon13

Serial Vapist
I don't understand the economic advantages to replacing so many bodies and shipping expenses vs just replacing the whole unit. That and the added gratitude of a faithful customer seems like a smarter choice but then I don't know if they worried it might start a stampede of RMA's? I agree it makes no logical sense in any of the angles for me as a consumer. @Icon13 have u ever demanded for a complete replacement given your high number of problems?
@Lou Taylor why not bring both? It's not like they'll be taking up so much space. Why risk having ur hopper fail during ur trip and ruin your fun

I would ask for a new unit, but when they replace my body every time and tell me it can't possibly be the back end, I just assumed that's just as good as a new unit. I honestly don't think it will matter what unit you put in my hands, they are all unreliable. I use mine more frequently than the average person and I believe the people who have theirs last for months and months are simply light smokers.

Last edited:

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
AV are perfectly happy with me keeping the B/E from the faulty Hopper so I'm going to be sending them the faulty body and new but extremely poor QC'ed B/E. I'm happy to have a perfectly good GH even if I had to pay for two at this stage lol.

Will be personally pushing it this weekend and doing a full stress test before I send the broken parts back. :brow::goon:

I think a desktop vape option has really caught my eye today too:

I love the Hopper but actually watching your herb be vaped through glass is just too damn cool.

EDIT: Damn if I had of known I could get a Ti kit for $365 AUD (paid $310AUD for 2nd GH) I'd have been allll over that!

I see a few people from this thread are already in the know with the Ti :p

Damn that's pretty sweet. I admit I've completely skimmed past this one. The name reminds me so much of Herbalizer I never checked it, figured it was some kind of rip off.

Hope they come out with a SiC version. Not that interested in dabbing off Ti anymore, but I can dig the versatility and clean inert design. Would be nice to see a digital temp control upgrade over the analog too, but cool stuff!

biohacker

Oh common man, the negatives are in the FAR minority.....you know, like we dudes with 1st world hoppa problems just come to FC and VENT, but the numbers surely aren't any indication of actual reality, since the failure rate is under what 5%?

:rofl:

Everything is wonderful at HL! Just look at Reddit! :lol:

Baron23

Oh common man, the negatives are in the FAR minority.....you know, like we dudes with 1st world hoppa problems just come to FC and VENT, but the numbers surely aren't any indication of actual reality, since the failure rate is under what 5%?

I do have a deep appreciation for sarcasm. LOL :tup:

Carlos8400

I would ask for a new unit, but when they replace my body every time and tell me it can't possibly be the back end, I just assumed that's just as good as a new unit. I honestly don't think it will matter what unit you put in my hands, they are all unreliable. I use mine more frequently than the average person and I believe the people who have theirs last for months and months are simply light smokers.

How frequently is "more frequently than the average person" if you don't mind me asking.

Carlos8400,
Reactions: Receptor

Icon13

Serial Vapist
How frequently is "more frequently than the average person" if you don't mind me asking.

Around 6 chambers per day.

Oh please. I suspect those numbers are such BS. 5%? Really?

I am 0/5 so far with bodies (spanning 3 different issues/symptoms). These are each individual units that are failing, not the same one. I suspect that I can actually now tell when the bodies have little life left. So far I observed the past two, excluding the one that did not work out of the package, started to degrade in performance noticeably before crapping out relatively soon after (as did another past one, but I was not looking for it at the time). Neither one had the same issue/symptom either. One had the red/blue light and the other went straight to blue no heat (3rd issue was red light to power off if I remember correctly).

Put that in your vape and, well... uuuuum. Vape it?

Last edited:

almost there

I know most hopper users don't grind their material too fine but would a space case grind be advisable? I found the medium space case for sale for a suspiciously low price and some of the wording has me worried. Does this look too good to be true? New Vape is a reputable vendor as far as I know but the price just has me question it's authenticity
https://www.newvape.com/4-piece-63mm-space-case-grinder-9133/

I have that free knockoff space case grinder that Vape World gave me and I don't wish to upgrade to find out it's the same crappy one I already have

Last edited:
almost there,

JoeMama

:clap: I have felt that "nudge" from The Defenders as I've read the discussions here lately. Personally, I think they are better off staying quiet and crash the next GHL meeting with a print-out of our shit here!

Then I will beg them to cheer and even brag because I'll be right there with 'em cheering on GHL.

I think that whole "aerospace" thing was just a shameless "bragging right". Perhaps they never worked anywhere near the QA department at their former company. Maybe the QA guy kept finding fault with their designs. Still, they're "Aerospace Engineers". I'm an Electrical Engineer. I sucked at it, so I've been in sales for decades. :razz:

I don't understand the economic advantages to replacing so many bodies and shipping expenses vs just replacing the whole unit. That and the added gratitude of a faithful customer seems like a smarter choice but then I don't know if they worried it might start a stampede of RMA's? I a

Also, how the f*ck do you justify 6 RMAs on a unit without just shipping a completely new unit to the owner. Unsat. A lemon is a lemon.

Unless GHL comes out with new products to market, how can they be able to service Lifetime warranties without be definition going out of business from hemorrhaging on RMAs?
What's more the thing that sticks in my craw is that maybe they do have a higher yield of robust product but they simply do not wish to spend money on a QA procedure that would weed out the lemons.

The other screen is at the bottom of the oven. That's what was being discussed recently when somebody (I forget who, please forgive me) figured out how to remove it and found gunk to clean underneath. But for now, that level of cleaning doesn't seem to be recommended by ghl.

I'm not entirely in the loop of the recent discussion about the removal of this oven screen, the gunk discovered, and the hypotheses about it, but to me that screen doesn't look friendly enough for me to fuck with. If a Hopper will die eventually because those under-layer needs a cleaning, then GHL should remind themselves that they have this BLOG they aren't using to educate its customers. JEEEZUS!

Having vented thusly, and I do appreciate the space to do so :), I have started doing a much more frequent after-burn on an empty chamber.

So, you know, we all have to doctor this thing ourselves, and we figure this shit out. Again.

Upon further inspection with a 30x magnifier i noticed there are AIR openings under the clip
and one AIR slot on the flat body part next to the threads on the back end.
The mysteries continuous......air buoyancy thru-out the entire body

Wut?
I don't see anything like an air slot... can you send a picture? Is this also on Ti's because I only have Ti's. :hmm:

WoodyWeedPecker

No worries bro, wasn't offended at all. :tup: To be frank, I didn't even know they changed the manual, I thought body dipping was still mentioned in it like I remembered! :p

Now can anybody who's tried the body dipping "up to the air intake holes" report back to us? :science:

Maybe I would do it if I had cop lights and no amount of pulling and blowing while the hopper is on make it work again. I like the idea of doing a thorough clean up (even if you have to wait 24h to let it dry on the risk of short circuit) on any of my vaporizer. With that technique you can even clean the heater.

Receptor

:clap:
Wut?
I don't see anything like an air slot... can you send a picture? Is this also on Ti's because I only have Ti's. :hmm:

Writing is challenging...pictures....ehhh?. Wnen you look at the back end with the clip be at 1200.
The air slot is at 600, at lower end of the threads....on the flat stop part of the body. Sensible??
Large air/vent below the clip. TIs same design I would think...have a SS.

This technology design is defying laws of thermodynamics......just need to implement simple logic
from the FC community.

Back end temp dial freezing up...lots of play between the 2 halves...20 sessions in...WTF
Mysteries continuous.....

CANNABIS.....Cluster Headache....ReNew....Mission. Good to-Go!!!

Last edited:
Top Bottom