Discontinued The Grasshopper

beware116

Sorry if this has been asked before, but what kind of battery does the GH use? Also, do we have any real-world numbers for battery life? Approx how much herb does the chamber hold? The site says 1.2cc, but I can't really visualize that in bud.

beware116,

Kalessin

Sorry if this has been asked before, but what kind of battery does the GH use? Also, do we have any real-world numbers for battery life? Approx how much herb does the chamber hold? The site says 1.2cc, but I can't really visualize that in bud.
I'm pretty sure the battery is a 3.7V 750mAh li-ion and I believe Buzz said .3 grams is about max packed.

beware116

I'm pretty sure the battery is a 750mAh li-ion and I believe Buzz said .3 grams is about max packed.

Is it a proprietary battery? Though the price is reasonable for extras, I'm trying to figure out what aftermarket batteries will function as I already have some and can get a killer deal on some others.

Does the bowl need to be packed tightly like the Pax or can it use any amount like most convection vapes?

beware116,

Kalessin

Yeah, it's their own design. I think other people have said that their sizing in particular is kind of unique. And I would imagine using non-brand batteries could be the kind of thing that would void your warranty. Edit: I believe reports so far say it works well with any amount.

Kalessin,

midgetsanchez

Yeah, it's their own design. I think other people have said that their sizing in particular is kind of unique. And I would imagine using non-brand batteries could be the kind of thing that would void your warranty. Edit: I believe reports so far say it works well with any amount.

Yup- it works with any amount, and their battery appears to be their own size, it's a unique cell and they don't recommend using third-party batteries or chargers.

It's usually a bad idea to mess around with third party batteries if you don't know what you're doing; for applications like this (and e-cigs, etc) you need high-drain batteries that can handle the higher amperage. These cells also tend to have protections built in (both passive and active) for safety purposes, so I probably wouldn't mess around with cheap aftermarket cells even if they somehow fit. Cheap batteries could overheat, vent, or worse (ever hear of ecig mods exploding?)

Kalessin

Yup- it works with any amount, and their battery appears to be their own size, it's a unique cell and they don't recommend using third-party batteries or chargers.

It's usually a bad idea to mess around with third party batteries if you don't know what you're doing; for applications like this (and e-cigs, etc) you need high-drain batteries that can handle the higher amperage. These cells also tend to have protections built in (both passive and active) for safety purposes, so I probably wouldn't mess around with cheap aftermarket cells even if they somehow fit. Cheap batteries could overheat, vent, or worse.

Have your "off-gassing" problems subsided fully? How about the hot metal smell?

Kalessin,

Bradhend15

Question for one of you that has the grasshopper:

If you leave the unit powered on and it auto shuts off, do you have to click it twice to get it going again?
...got me thinking, and I don't recall seeing this question in previous pages.

Bradhend15,
Reactions: bounce5

xer0

Side note... @BuzzDanklin how do you feel about the Ti durability versus the SS now that you've had them both for a while? Any drawbacks to the Ti? Just curious, I've noticed a few scratches/scuffs on my SS but those were all my fault. Either way I know SS can be polished easily down the road...

I was wondering about this as well. I'm considering upgrading to Ti but there isn't much information available to really say if it is worth the price. Like I know Buzz said the vapor is a tad bit warmer but I'm wondering if the mouth piece gets as warm as the SS with prolonged use. And if it does, which one cools down quicker?

xer0,

Mister G

Deceptively Old Fart
Question for one of you that has the grasshopper:

If you leave the unit powered on and it auto shuts off, do you have to click it twice to get it going again?
...got me thinking, and I don't recall seeing this question in previous pages.

Been covered but this thread grows 5 pages per day, not including all the deleted posts.

Yes, requires two full presses to turn back on again following an auto-shutoff.

Bradhend15

Have you noticed any issues with the clicking mechanism?
Things like it getting stuck/jammed when the part rotates, or having to click multiple times to power on?
Or it will power on, but the button doesn't spring back to fully extended.

Last edited:
Bradhend15,

Delta3DStudios

Accessory Maker
Well, we know just from the placement of the LEDs that air passes over them before it enters the heater...who knows about wires...I imagine once they're released fully someone will open one up and take a look.

They specifically said the airpath is sealed. Based on previous comments/marketing materials, I believe the LED light is encapsulated in glass to ensure no harmful materials are exposed to the airpath.

vapeppau

How is loading the GH? Is it possible to use say, the craftys loading tool? What was the other tool that had that screw mechanism to load up ground material?

vapeppau,
Reactions: snamuh

Delta3DStudios

Accessory Maker
What was the other tool that had that screw mechanism to load up ground material?

That's my invention, I've been using a prototype Scoop-n-stir tool with my Enano for the past few weeks and LOVE it. I'll be introducing this accessory very shortly on my store (next several weeks)

Now that the GH is officially out, I'll be releasing several new GH accessories over the next month. I've already got a case design made, waiting for my GH to confirm the fit before I list it on my store!

Krazzykid

O8KfLsX.jpg
That's my invention, I've been using a prototype Scoop-n-stir tool with my Enano for the past few weeks and LOVE it. I'll be introducing this accessory very shortly on my store (next several weeks)

Now that the GH is officially out, I'll be releasing several new GH accessories over the next month. I've already got a case design made, waiting for my GH to confirm the fit before I list it on my store!
Would this happen to be said Scoop-n-stir tool?

One with a scoop sized for the GH bowl and as long as the lighter would make me very happy. Just sayin;)

Edit: I hadn't seen the new versions posted below. The Scoop-N-Poke looks awesome!

Last edited:

wolfJflywheel

Here's his latest update from his thread.
My latest scoop prototypes came!

Here's a quick peak at the prototypes (in order of evolution)

EY8YIs0.jpg

CvCQDOG.jpg

The nickle and gold ones on the right are the most recent versions I have. But I've already modified the design and ordered several copies of the Scoop-N-Stir and the Scoop-N-Poke. Although as usual with Shapeways orders, there is a two week turnaround (... Just got an email that my latest versions passed the review stage and have been sent to the printing department. Next they'll be printed, prepped, and then fired in a kiln. Then post-processed and finally shipped)

The final Scoop-N-Stir will now have 3 teeth (designed to fit into an E-Nano stem, or anything larger). But If you need a special stir stick for your vape, please let me know and I can easily modify the design (and increase the number of teeth).

Also you can't see it, but the Scoop-N-Poke version has a hole on the side for a key-ring. I'm planning on adding a keyring to it and adding it to my keychain (it's steel, so it will definitely hold up to abuse!)

I will be listing the tools on my store soon. I have only a handful of each available for sale for those who want early access and are willing to provide some feedback.

I personally have been using the Scoop-N-Stir tool with my Nano and LSV. It works REALLY well, except ABV tends to get trapped between the teeth (easy solution - simply spin the tool while removing - ABV falls right off), I'm hoping removing one tooth will help eliminate that issue

The scoop side is great, I can precisely scoop 0.05g of herb (literally 3-4 flakes) out of my grinder, or I can scoop around 0.15g and dump it into my Nano's tiny stem. This works better than my traditional vacuum method for loading herbs in my convection vape.

I'm glad Ratchett and I have similar taste in vapes. It'll be nice to have him developing tools for the GH as well. Good call on switching from the fork tool to the poker stirrer Ratchett. You might even consider making the poker slimmer. I've been using a small condiment spoon and titanium toothpick with my enano with excellent results. The titanium toothpick is really useful for the glass screened gong from epic. It makes clearing out the holes quick and painless, unlike the standard enano stir tool.

Can't wait until someone takes the time to crack open the GH and post the innards for us all to marvel over. Once I get a chance to see dem innards and verify that everything is in order with the air path I'm definitely going to pull the trigger on this bad boy. Hopefully by then they won't still have a 3 month lead time estimate.

Last edited:

vapemon

Something interesting I've observed; while attempting the "burn-off" I previously described I noticed at one point that the leds started to flash red/blue (kind of like a police car). I saw nothing in the manual about that kind of light pattern, this was Trevor's response:

Pretty cool - it's obvious the software is very well-thought out and designed.

Side note... @BuzzDanklin how do you feel about the Ti durability versus the SS now that you've had them both for a while? Any drawbacks to the Ti? Just curious, I've noticed a few scratches/scuffs on my SS but those were all my fault. Either way I know SS can be polished easily down the road...

Why is this stated so much? Why can you NOT blow into the unit? What happens if you do?

Delta3DStudios

Accessory Maker
Would this happen to be said Scoop-n-stir tool?

One with a scoop sized for the GH bowl and as long as the lighter would make me very happy. Just sayin;)

Edit: I hadn't seen the new versions posted below. The Scoop-N-Poke looks awesome!

Here's his latest update from his thread.

Lol indeed that's my Scoop-N-Stir tool. I have a new revised version currently at the Shapeways. As soon as I handle the latest revision, I'll make the call to list them for sale on my Shapeways store, and begin stocking the most popular finishes on my Delta3DStudios.com store (I'm thinking Stainless Steel and Gold to start)

So far my stir tool has worked great with every vaporizer I use (E-Nano, LSV and Ascent), We'll see what size diameter the GH oven is, I may need to tweak the design to make it *perfect* for the GH, but so far I'm loving my scoop tool prototype

inuhuion

1.2cc seems to equate to around 0.3grams (+/- 0.1g), depending on how you pack it. And I just rewatched @BuzzDanklin 's "shitshow" video with his roommate and did some timing, and it seems to me that he and his roommate got 33 hits (of anywhere from 5-14 seconds in length),, totaling, believe it or not, 4 minutes and 20 seconds of actual inhalation/drawing. For them, that translated to two guys sharing 5 bowls (varying in temp from 170C-210C) in about 27 minutes, before the battery finally died. That was with them turning it off sometimes in between hits. They were goin' at it pretty hard.

alphabj

Which podcast?

It was the Vapor Review Blog podcast http://www.vaporreviewblog.com/vaporcast-episode-2-zenpen-questions-and-answers/, which apparently has been discontinued. Here is a link from archive.org that shows its state in Oct. 2014: https://web.archive.org/web/2014102...rcast-episode-2-zenpen-questions-and-answers/

Apparently the soundcloud link doesn't work anymore either: https://soundcloud.com/vaporreviewblog/vaporcast-episode-2-zenpen

Hmmm.. for some reason VRB deleted all episodes before #7: https://soundcloud.com/vaporreviewblog/

Can't get it from itunes either: https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/vapor-review-podcast-episode/id703523886?i=166607716

:shrug:

On a different note, I would be much more concerned about wires/led in the airpath on a conduction/radiation vape. But the GH being an on demand convection vape, these components are not in the post-heated airpath, so as long as they are far enough away from the heater, it wouldn't be any less health-promoting than inhaling air passing over any other room-temp electronics right? Unless the chinese use lead in their electronics?

But hopefully there is some partition behind the heater and air intake that stops the most electronics/wires from being in the airpath.

Why is this stated so much? Why can you NOT blow into the unit? What happens if you do?

If there was a partition and no wires/leds than nothing would happen except heated air blowing out the intake holes. But you might melt the led with hot air and if there is no partition you can be blowing hot air all the way down to the circuitry in the end cap which would likely desolder some chips.

Last edited:

nikcorda

17030 said:
@BuzzDanklin[/USER] 's "shitshow" video with his roommate and did some timing, and it seems to me that he and his roommate got 33 hits (of anywhere from 5-14 seconds in length),, totaling, believe it or not, 4 minutes and 20 seconds of actual inhalation/drawing. For them, that translated to two guys sharing 5 bowls (varying in temp from 170C-210C) in about 27 minutes, before the battery finally died. That was with them turning it off sometimes in between hits. They were goin' at it pretty hard.
i timed that video with a stopwatch about a month ago, posted the results in the previous GH thread. i started and stopped the stopwatch as they turned the GH on and off.

in total, it was right about 10 minutes of battery life.

vapemon

Why are they not using gloves? They have residue free gloves....seems kinda weird their doing it bare hands

vapemon,
Reactions: Spinuch
Top Bottom