Discontinued The Grasshopper

DryBonesufo

If I get a grasshppper... should I be expecting to be sending it back for maintenance? I’ve seen last forum, a lot of sent backs due to faulty systems

Dryboneconvection,
Reactions: MoltenTiger

Vapor_Eyes

taste buds
I would wait @Dryboneconvection. There is a new model releasing, the Hopper io, and batteries are in very limited supply. The newest Grasshoppers seem to be reliable but the batteries have been an issue lately. It will be easier to recommend when there are batteries that are in stock and more user reviews of the latest revisions and reliability.

abcd5432

It's always something. Now batteries.

At least there are good alternatives but I do like the design of the grasshopper. I hope the io is good, but I'm definitely not going first.

It sounds good, just hoping we got some batteries before year end.

Maroon-Scholar

Enjoying an Imperial IPA, vaping one of favorite strains in my TI Grasshopper.Listening to J Cole .
e273f242-5eaa-422f-b25e-67ea8d134ac7.jpg

33864cdb-3e44-4913-8380-fdbee9e8f8b0.jpg

02f44485-0f8b-4e2d-85e5-231f8a646234.jpg

6ac19070-9abc-4854-bd0a-2ede282dd3ce.jpg

2f3eef1d-7279-4708-b67b-012a04d66979.jpg

Nice! This is exactly the set up I am seeking: A hopper, SCS, and Bubbler! I have the Hopper, the SCS is on the way, but sadly, there is no indication when I'll actually receive my bubbler :(

Maroon-Scholar

Hey Hopper Labs (or anyone else in the know)! My plight is a familiar one: after waiting over a year for the battery charger, I lost hope and opted to switch my order to the Bubbler last week (throwing in the PFE as well). Switcheroo made, no problem placing the order online. After days of nothing shipping I asked about the order only to be told "the bubbler will be delayed. They have been stuck shipping out of China." It seems I have tried to alleviate one problem only to be right back in a similar situation. Any ETA or update on where the shipping process is at?

Vaporific

All who wander are not lost...
It's always something. Now batteries.
For me it’s always been about the batteries. A few clunkers in a couple of batches, short shelf life in general, a vape that has been fine-tuned to take advantage of the cell, i.e. the IO, and now waiting effectively 14 months for new batteries since I ordered them in April ‘19. It is always something and most often the batteries.

Well, that and my pre order Ti that wa in RMA for a year and is still working well 9+ months now. There is still hope but without batteries hope goes to hell quickly.:peace:

VapeKnight

Day Tripper
a year for a batter charger ? I know someone who has been waiting 5 years for the case...:rofl:
I still have original batteries from my earlybird kickstarter order. They hold a charge for maybe a day or two if I'm lucky so I have to plan ahead if I want to use my hopper. Even then I still carry at least two extras if I'm leaving the house. I lost count of how many times I couldn't finish one load with three batteries on hand. It's such a shame because when it works it's still enjoyable.

JCat

Accessory Maker
So my SS Hopper has been in for repair since November 2019. In February 2020, they said it would be 60-90 more days. Today they are saying it will be a minimum of 120 more days. Odd how they can launch a new product but can not fix their existing product :rolleyes:
This is indeed very frustrating ... I’ve had a non working SS hopper for years ... spent hundred+ on shipping it back early on to have it returned not fixed ... I guess I could return it for a credit towards an IO that doesn’t even equal what I’ve wasted on shipping to have it returned to me with no repairs ...

I want to be positive ... but it’s hard ... oh so hard with HL ...

Vitolo

Vaporist
waiting....r the battery charger
I will admit that the charger is very cool, and I feel that it is fast also.
You can use an external charger if you're stuck.
Hello old friends
Ahhh a friend from the Old Country(Privetstviye Tovarisch! = Привет товарищ :uhoh:)

I am sad to hear of all the issues.
I did have one issue.. I bought an SS front end, and it took almost 3 months to get to me... but the added some items to make the wait "go away".
I hope I don't jinx myself on this next one...
Since I got my front end, I have used the Dope Gun™ Daily. I am still getting 3 good 3-4 hit sessions before I recharge. It has never slowed down, but that is when I charge.
It charges so fast!
@ChooChooCharlie already told me that I got a good one, and I agree... but I will find out how long the long run is!
This tool is amazing so far.
maybe not the best look
I thought it looked artistically interesting.. almost like the ornate, yet simple mouthpiece for a Hookah.
In fact you look like you could be sitting at the Hookah Lounge right now. Max's adapter adds to that effect (in a thin way), as
we see the lines but are focused on the @ChooChooCharlie experience!

ChooChooCharlie

Yes, @Vitolo , sounds like a good hopper and battery. You told me before, no flickering light. Whoever gifted you that hopper deserves props. Lets hope it has endurance

I think @Maroon-Scholar was talking about a pre-order for the fancy block shaped external battery charger. You were talking about the stock magnetic usb charger. (Pointing this out, before excited readers get the idea you have one of those mythical sci-fi stainless steel battery chargers)

Thanks for appreciating my photo! I stand when using battery hoppers, but like to sit with the MaxVapor corded one. 420edc designed the TiChillum with a lip friendly mouthpiece shape. You tried mine when I visited. Remember you saying the hopper wasn't too hot native for you. I have girly-man lips, and like longer draws with dense clouds

Vitolo

Vaporist
You were talking about the stock magnetic usb charger
"🎵 ....Just Sees what he wants to see🎶" (Nowhere Man)
No..actually I thought I was talking about an external charger.... although I did not understand it was about:
the fancy block shaped external battery charger.
I have some traditional external chargers that work with these batteries.

vapemon

Got my 3rd hopper repair sent back dec 20 2018. It's been 530 days (I use my hopper everyday with 3 batteries in rotation) I did a few tests and I avg about 5 mins of actual heater on hopper on use from when it turns blue spaced out over the day.

My estimated hours of run time is 44.1 hrs total on this unit and still running strong. My IO is scheduled to arrive this week or early next week. Here's hoping they fixed all the shit from the original models.

My current one has the new double screen and has had 0 temp sensor issues. My other old ones were always buggy with the temp sensor screwing up. Excited to see what the IO has to offer.

I've been thinking of ways on what I'm going to do with all those seconds saved compared to my original hopper..Instead of getting blasted in 30 seconds ill now get blasted in 15 LOL

Last edited:

kilo

Looking forward to the io subforum (it's not hiding, is it?) as I recently got my SS and and am itching to do a review!

kilo,

Vaporific

Thanks! Maybe there should be a barely out of the gate or running in place category - HL would be first and center and top of the list? All good.

On a whim I took an unused pre fire battery literally stored in cat litter, wrapped in plastic wrap, previously charged and loaded some fresh flower and fired up my legacy Hopper. Got a couple of draws out of it then it went red. Hmmmm. Put it in the external charger and it showed it was charged. Hmmmm. Tried another battery (older, way before the fire) and it worked fine as fine as it could being a couple of years old. Haven’t tried the pre fire batt again but is suspect sitting idle for 8 months diminished its capacity. Shelf life of these cells is starting to know at me thus increasing my reluctance to buy an IO now or in the future if HL gets their act together with the IO and battery supply, i.e. availability. I’m owed 5 replacement batts just before the fire (I’ve been using 2 of the 5) in rotation without issue along with a couple of older batts. But I could use new replacement batts ASAP. We’ll see. :peace:

virtualpurple

my social experiment of waiting for hopper labs for an update on my November 2019 RMA continues. As likely expected, there has been no outreach from the company to let me know that my unit was affected by the fire (we can either assume it was or that it just is not being prioritized), or what my options would be going forward. My expectation is that they will continue to only respond to people actively reaching out to them directly.

it Isn’t a good business practice, but it seems to be the one being employed, I’m not aware of anyone who has gotten an update of their unit without having to ask hopper labs for an update about their specific unit.

Vaporific

Yep, one of the pre-fire batts taken out of mothballs cant get through 4 draws without going red. It was stored charged for 8 months and I even topped it off after trying it for the first time, which only yielded a couple of draws. One of my older batts in constant rotation works better though it’s giving out too. Let’s hope the latest batch, whenever they arrive in our hands, are much better. I’ve had a mixed track record with Hopper batteries. Not good. :peace:

JiggyJack

So my SS Hopper has been in for repair since November 2019. In February 2020, they said it would be 60-90 more days. Today they are saying it will be a minimum of 120 more days. Odd how they can launch a new product but can not fix their existing product :rolleyes:
I’m in the same boat. Got an email that my hopper was fixed and ready to ship when the fire happened. Very sad.

vapviking

Old & In the Way
Every Grasshopper I've owned (if replacement bodies count along with straight repairs, then I'm well over 12) has slowly reached a state of restricted draw. Units that have gone for repair come back great, drawing "like new".

The only advice I've been given by HL is to swab out the chamber with iso , then blow compressed air through the intake holes (they even warn, "your breath alone is not enough." or some such thing.

Occasionally this has worked, though never getting back to original this way...and I have at times been very thorough with it because I really want the piece to work like it's been capable of working in the past. I currently have a Ti that just will not clear up -blowing as directed, but eventually through all orifices while running at temp 5. (the air movement will override auto shut off!)
Back in the day I would look forward to the next fail because, well, at least it would come back with improved draw.

I pulled that Ti out today and it was a big disappointment compared to my current friend, the Vleaf Go. At <60 bucks the Go has some qualities that are a very pleasant change from marriage to Grasshopper. No screwing! for one. (Now that sounds a little weird...)

I know a lot of owners have gotten vg mileage from their Grasshopper, but that has not been my experience. Really, it's purchasing multiples that has kept me on the ride. Now that warranty work is almost non-existent, my ride may be coming to an end.

Vaporific

Confirmed: 2 out of 5 of my pre fire batteries, the ones HL said to discard (properly) do not work after being on mothballs (actually kitty litter) for almost 8 months. I charged them in my Nitecore after unveiling them but they yield one draw each and then my Ti goes red. They’re useless. Not sure if it’s this particular batch or not. The shelf life appears terrible. Two others from the same batch have been used in constant rotation with two older batts (circa ‘17 or ‘18) and seem to be doing ok. The two oldest batteries are giving out though too so I’m getting low with cells.

WHERE THE HELL ARE THE BATTERIES I ORDERED 16 MONTHS AGO?? AND WHERE THE HELL IS HL?? TGIF to all. :peace:

Top Bottom