• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

The Toasty Top

gvape

pngwyn said:
Cloud coverage? What is the definition of that?

And Gvape I am assuming you mean efficiency and not useage because you don't seem to have a PD listed in your sig?

Lol... you might want to read that again :p

I have two PDs. They were my first log vape, and my fourth vape that I got, so I have gone a long way since. I only really like PD for taste of every hit. Otherwise it just sits for aromatherapy. I use the TT and UD just about equally, maybe the UD more since it might run a bit hotter and I like using it with glass.

But I love them both and its hard to pick just one of them.

gvape,

Alan

Master JedHI
Manufacturer
That is quite a tube collection Vito. Pretty much all the variations I have made over the last year. Glad you are enjoying the original.
It was this time last year that I first created my first Toasty Top. A few changes since then.
The tube on the right side is my new Turbo Tube. It was inspired by the Underdog silicone tube system. I liked the tight air seal and roasting properties of the UD tube but not the silicone against my lips. A glass tube inserted into the silicone tubing to hold a stainless screen worked well, but the heavy tubing did not work so well on my Toasty Top heat sink tube. Standard wall silicone tubing seems to work the best. It snaps on to the end of my heat sink tube for a perfect seal. It must be held in place while roasting until I can devise a heat sink tube that extends a bit. The Turbo Tubes should work well for the UD as well as the PD/MZ. They fit perfectly into a 14mm joint. I am using only Silcon brand medical grade silicone tubing. It is basically inert and seeing air temperatures 100 degrees lower than its upper operating limit. Not all silicone is created equal.

gvape - Glad to hear you are giving the TT equal time with the UD. I can see how you would prefer the UD on glass. The heat sink / silicone tube design is less restrictive to air flow. I need to get you a Turbo Tube to try.

Alan,

gvape

TV said:
gvape - Glad to hear you are giving the TT equal time with the UD. I can see how you would prefer the UD on glass. The heat sink / silicone tube design is less restrictive to air flow. I need to get you a Turbo Tube to try.

I agree I do need to try one of these turbo tubes :)

Cant wait for the order of toastys though....!

gvape,

J.R.R.Tokin'

Wych Doctor
Manufacturer
Hi TV,

So, just finished reading the thread. I love seeing the evolution of the piece and your innovations.

I now know what I want for Christmas! Only problem is that I'm in the UK. Any chance you'll send to our log-vape deprived lil' island?

J.R.R.Tokin',

Alan

Master JedHI
Manufacturer
Thanks J.R.R.Tokin'. Send me an email and we can talk.

Nothing like a good hand warmer for the holidays.

Alan,

J.R.R.Tokin'

Wych Doctor
Manufacturer
Ok so sent an email to the email listed on the Toasty-Top web site.

Can't wait to see if we can make this happen :)

J.R.R.Tokin',

gvape

Well it looks like I got a GIANT package from Alan yesterday. Some gifts for friends that is. I wish I took pictures before I gave them away as gifts. At least Alan sent me a shot of the family before I let it go. Gotta say Ebony Piano Key stem.... SO SICK! Im gonna have to test my friends tubes, it looks like alan has got a lot of new styles out. Pictures to come soon :)

Also, Toasty Tower + Ebony Legs = SUPER SEXY

gvape,

paytonpenn

Level 30 Nature/Healer
I feel like I may have overlooked it, but for a car adapter could anyone point me into a right direction for one that would work for the TT?

paytonpenn,
eh, pretty much any car power adapter from Dave, Rick, Tom, or Alan will work. Id bring your AC adapter to radioshack and tell them you want a car charger for your err old ass phone. They can probably find you a good cheap one.

I guess the question to ask yourself is which one of these log maker is closest to you. I am currently still using Rick's AC adapter, but Alan's (underdog) has a bad ass retractable cord that I leave in the wagon for emergency chief sessions. Right beside my emergency roadside and medic kit.

biojuggernaut,

Alan

Master JedHI
Manufacturer
Here is the Teak Tower and Mahogany Tops I sent to gvape. The Tops are running about 390-400. The Tower is 410 plus. I cried when I pressed the stainless steel sleeve into the wood of the Tower and heard what sounded like a crystal ting. The wood had cracked slightly. It appears to have released the stress and stabilized. Time will tell. The color of the teak is just stunning. I added piano key ebony legs that thread into the Tower with stainless steel set screws. It looks really hot with the piano key ebony roasting tube.
The stands for the Tops have taller posts that are set farther apart. They are much more stable and easy to hit when setting down the Top. This was a suggestion by an FC member (and a very good one).
Hope you enjoy testing all the roasting tube gvape.

teakebonytower.jpg

biojuggernaught - I think you mean Dave's cord. I don't currently stock any car adapters. I have been planning to get some. Is there a preference to coiled or straight cords? Straight or angled tips? Any car adapter that fits my plug should work fine.

I discovered some interesting properties of wood. The Mahogany Tower that I sent to Dave in exchange for the Underdog he sent to me had the wood grain oriented sideways. The wood was very hot on the end grain and just warm on the side grain. The heat energy is flowing along the wood grains. They are acting like little heat pipes to draw the heat away from the core. It demonstrates that wood is actually a good conductor of heat rather than an insulator. I turned a black walnut Top with the grain oriented sideways and it behaves the same way.

Working on an integral base unit. Will share some photos when I get some finished.

90 degree angled tips would fit nice in my cup holder and would match the toasty products well; but as you said it doesn't really matter. All mine are straight adapters right now.

biojuggernaut,

momofthegoons

vapor accessory addict
Really sharp Alan! Love the new Tower design.

I also received an ebony tube from Alan last week. It is just beautiful. Really sleek and smooth. A perfect accessory for the TT. :D

momofthegoons,
Reactions: mvapes

Ed's TnT

Woodsman
Manufacturer
TV said:
I discovered some interesting properties of wood. The Mahogany Tower that I sent to Dave in exchange for the Underdog he sent to me had the wood grain oriented sideways. The wood was very hot on the end grain and just warm on the side grain. The heat energy is flowing along the wood grains. They are acting like little heat pipes to draw the heat away from the core. It demonstrates that wood is actually a good conductor of heat rather than an insulator. I turned a black walnut Top with the grain oriented sideways and it behaves the same way.

Very interesting find Alan! Like the tower too!

Ed's TnT,

esrever

Herb: best aphrodisiac and stereo tweak on Earth
One vote for retractable cords. For home power supply cords as well as car adapters.

And those new pieces look terrific!

esrever,

gvape

I actually didnt get to try and of the new tubes yet. Since you gave three sets, they all got a complete set of tubes. I should have taken one, but felt bad. I will just have to go visit them to test out the new tubes. I was a bit confused by the one with the extra silicone and metal parts.. I thought it was going to have two screens but it didnt. Ill take a picture eventually, but just seemed lke the material was suppose to go in the inside, but it only had 1 screen, wasnt sure.

gvape,

Alan

Master JedHI
Manufacturer
Sorry to hear you didn't get to try any of the tubes gvape. I thought one set was for you.

Here is a photo of the new tip assembly. I have it installed in an 18mm gong tube but it can be installed in either wood, poly, or glass.
It consists of two pieces of 5/16" SS tubing coupled with a piece of 3/8" SS tubing. There is a 5/16" screen sandwiched between the two 5/16" SS tubes and retained inside the 3/8" SS tube. The silicone tubing holds everything in place and prevents the SS tubing from sliding out. The roasting material never touches the silicone tubing.
It is intended to be used as a regular tube. Just draw the herb in like a straw. The difference is that there is no reduction in diameter at the screen. It is a full open 1/4" ID at the screen. Just pull one of the 5/16" SS tubes out for screen replacement / maintenance. It takes a while before anything builds up on the screen.
The volume available in the roasting chamber is twice that of the old style. It give more room for stirring and places the roasting material a bit farther away from the heat source. The extra volume seems to prevent hot spots as well.

18mmtoastytube.jpg

Alan,

gvape

NOW I understand how it works. I was thinking two screens were inside, you basically opened it up, sucked up some material and then closed it back up. Creating a sandwich between the two screens. But I guess since it only has 1 screen, then it makes a lot more sense. Im sure this will provide much more airflow, Im excited to give it a test now. I really wanted to try a turbo tube out too. looks like you can pack a TON of material inside one of those. Maybe for some super milking :)

I wish one of the sets was for me, but nope they were all gifts. I am thinking about what I can sell to get a Toasty Tower for myself. I honestly cant stop looking at the one you made, and wish I had gotten one too. It just looks so nice and felt sooooo perfect in the hand. The notches on it really make it a comfortable grip!

gvape,

Alan

Master JedHI
Manufacturer
biojuggernaut said:
Alan do you like those or the turbo tubes more?

I am using them both about 50% of the time. I can't decide which I like better. The Turbo Tube is nice because I can just put un-ground material in it and then smash it down as it becomes crunchy. The tube is also nice because you can squeeze it to crunch up / stir the material. I have to say that I'm a silicone tubing convert. I have also made a Turbo Tube that has a poly tube rather than glass, so it is virtually indestructible. The other cool thing about the Turbo Tube (which I discovered about an hour ago) is that the green storage cap can also be used as a stand for the Turbo Tube. The glass mouthpiece end fits perfectly into the green cap. The glass is also completely covered so it won't break if accidentally knocked to the floor. Placing the roasting end of the Turbo Tube into the cap will seal up any un-roasted material and hold it secure when it is placed in the storage tube.

gvape - You must be the greatest friend to give all that away. You do deserve a very nice unit for yourself. Let me see what else I can create. I do have some 2 x 2 teak. Maybe I can squeeze things down a bit and make it fit.

Alan,

psyshaman

Vapor Viking
That toasty tower is a real beauty, and all the variations on your tubes makes for a lot of options.
Variety is the spice of life and there is plenty of variety with your accessories!
I love the look of that 18mm tapered glass tube, keep up te good work

psyshaman,

Alan

Master JedHI
Manufacturer
Thank you psyshaman for the kind words. I do enjoy devising new options and designs. It is nice to have variety in life. I hope to provide some more soon.

Alan,

gvape

Really sad news Alan.... The Toasty Tower crack got A LOT worse. It ran all the way down the side about half way now. It only has about 1.5 more inches before the track goes all the way to the bottom.... :(

Ill shoot you a picture in email.

gvape,

Alan

Master JedHI
Manufacturer
That is very sad news gvape. I'm very sorry. Looks like I will have to send you a replacement unit. It may not look as stunning as that wood, but it should out perform it.

Alan,
Top Bottom