• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

The Toasty Top

Alan

Master JedHI
Manufacturer
tt.jpg

The Toasty Top

This is the launch of the Toasty Top. It's a new spin on a 3 decades old convection style herbal vaporizer (log vape) design. Many thanks to those who have previously advanced the design and inspired me to create the Toasty Top.

I am a terminally unemployed mechanical engineer. I had been doing HVAC and plumbing for commercial buildings until the great depression hit. I also had worked at a nuclear power plant for 15 years. My primary hobby is wood turning, although I have many other interests. I recently had the opportunity to experience herbal vaporization. It was quite amazing. I wondered why it had taken so long to discover this method. I wanted to get a vaporizer. My buddy told me of a device that was extremely efficient and compact. It only used 12 volts and could be plugged in 24/7. He told me that I could probably just make one rather than buy one. I like a good challenge. I didn't have physical access to any of the previous designs, but saw pictures and descriptions. I make wooden toy spinning tops as a hobby and thought why not make mine look like a spinning top. It made the design and assembly much easier too. It worked so well that I thought why not try to make a living selling them. My work experience and hobby had sort of come together. I was encouraged that the vaporizer style was popular and that I was starting from a solid design concept (identical heating element). I was concerned in the beginning about the power plug getting too hot and melting the plastic insulator. I thought that is why it had never been done before. The temperature of the conductor at the ceramic heating element is hot enough to melt lead-free solder. The temperature drops quickly as you move away from the heater. It is not too hot by the time it connects to the power plug. The center wire is also thermally and electrically insulated with glass beads. I was pleasantly surprised that the power plug does not over heat. I placed a wooden button over the metal so there is no chance of accidentally touching the hot metal. The shape and temperature feel really good on my sore hands and give me a calming sensation. It also works really well for a heat massage since there are no sharp edges. Stealth was also an important design parameter. If anyone asks the purpose of the device, it is undeniably a hand warmer / heat massage device. The Toasty Top only smells of warm beeswax during operation. Wish I would have had one of these during my college days. I wanted to use a type of wood that is used in smoking meat to ensure a good flavor. I have only used sugar maple wood so far, but will give other hardwoods a try. The shape will remain as a top for now (it is a Toasty Top after all), but I will constantly strive to make improvements and advance the design.
The roasting tube is very unique in that it is threaded to the mouthpiece via a 1/4" connection tube. This allows complete access to the stainless steel screen in the roasting tube. The threaded roasting tube makes cleaning much easier too. The mouthpiece is approximately 3/8" in diameter and 3" long. Food grade polypropylene, glass, and hardwood mouthpieces are available. It is possible the roasting tubes will fit some of the other convection style herbal vaporizers (hope someone will try). I'm not able to do a comparison with the other convection style herbal vaporizers, but believe it may possible to get slightly higher temperatures as the roasting tube can be placed closer to the heating element than the other designs.

I plan to sell the Toasty Tops, Power Supplies, and Roasting Tubes shopping cart style where they can be purchased separately. You only have to purchase what you want.

Toasty Top $120 (includes stand, aromatherapy cup, beeswax beads, and roasting tube cleaning tools)

Power supply $20 (12 volts / 2 amps with right angle end connection and heavy cord)

Stainless steel roasting tube with polypropylene mouthpiece $20 (almost unbreakable)

Stainless steel roasting tube with glass mouthpiece $20 (provided with polypropylene protective tube as the glass is breakable)

Stainless steel roasting tube with hardwood mouthpiece $30 (purpleheart, bloodwood, osage orange, and oak currently available)

USPS priority shipping is free if your order includes a Toasty Top, otherwise it is $5.

I'm still working on the website Toasty Top (which has more information) but have some Toasty Tops for sale now. My contact information is alan@toasty-top.com

IAmKrazy2

Darth Vapor
I remember a previous beta thread if I am mistaken. Welcome TV, good luck to you in the future.

Can we see some more pictures? Pictures of all the accessories? Pictures of the heater?

You have said you never tried a log vape, but any idea in bowl capacity vs. that of the PD or MZ? Have you made any changes or improvements in overall function?

IAmKrazy2,

weedemon

enthusiast
I remember when you were floating ideas around for this vape. awesome to see it has come to see the light of day! :)

i love the shape and can see why it would be nice to hold in the hand. As a PD user i also appreciate the warm pd when you have cold hands :D

also i quite like the little stand it goes on for when it's not being held.

could i bother you for a picture of the roasting tube, and maybe a top view of the unit itself?

*edit i see the pics on your site for what i'm asking for :)

weedemon,

Alan

Master JedHI
Manufacturer
Here are the parts of the Toasty Top. Not much to it really. I tried to make it as simple and with as few parts as possible.
ttinside.jpg

The roasting tube is 1/4" ID (5/16" OD) and 3/8" deep to the screen. I'm not sure how it compares to the PD / MZ for capacity or overall function. I hope it is an improvement. Time and user reviews will tell.

hereatlast

^ Looks familiar, nice arrangement/positioning of the parts. Vape looks nice, I'll be staying tuned for some user reviews. :peace:

hereatlast,

Orestes

Magus Septimus
That looks awesome! Just sent you an email. I want one of these bad boys!

I really like the shape. It seems the ideal way to concentrate heat towards the mouthpiece, while still keeping the thing comfortable to hold.

Orestes,

SmokingElectricity

i remember this. glad it's official :D

congrats.

does the roasting tube fit nicely in 14mm ground glass joints?

SmokingElectricity,

IAmKrazy2

Darth Vapor
You should give more info and pics on this Thead, because I just read your website. I like how you can open for cleaning.

IAmKrazy2,

PhishCactus

Lvl. 420 Vaporist
this is amazing, i love your ingenuity, and it's interesting to see what someone (who might not know EVERY single vaporizer like many of us do here) has come up with to create vaporization. I look forward to seeing this progress and nice job!

PhishCactus,

guardian

alright ! the release i've been waiting for :o i never woulda thought the bowl was threaded until i seen it lol. gotta love that shiny heat exchanger nice mass but with lockwashers to maximize surface area ;) good combination of both, plus you can wash it cant get much better. is there a roasting tube included with the initial unit? or do your order the unit the power adaptor and roasting tube seprate? cant wait for the website to get up to speed then i can order one :peace:

guardian,

Alan

Master JedHI
Manufacturer
SmokingElectricity said:
does the roasting tube fit nicely in 14mm ground glass joints?
The mouthpiece of the roasting tube is approximately 9.5 mm (3/8"), so it is probably too small to fit in the 14mm gong joint. It does fit 3/8" silicone tubing very well.

Alan,

momofthegoons

vapor accessory addict
I was also very intrigued when I saw TV's original posts regarding this vape and contacted him. As a result, I purchased one and have been using the Toasty Top for almost two months. It is a wonderful addition to my vape collection.

The main difference, other than size and shape, is the heat exchanger. The port is recessed so that the roasting tube (also known as vapor stem in other vapes) goes into the top. This means that this vape runs hotter and care needs to be taken when using to not scorch your herb. The method used is described as "toasting a marshmallow" and I would agree. At first, you don't put the stem into the heat exchanger all the way so that it only warms the herb slightly. Then, as you progress, the stem can be inserted farther and the herb roasted more thoroughly. The abv that is left over is darker than that from the Zap. I would say that a stem full would be a similar in amount to the MZ (or PD), although I haven't weighed it; just eyeballed it.

The roasting tubes are really cool. Really easy to clean since the tip unscrews to take the screen out. Screens can be a little tricky to insert and I find myself resorting to the screen replacement kit that I got from Rick to get it back in. Real easy to clean once disassembled. Just soak and reassemble. TV was really sweet and sent me a present of a purpleheart tube as well as the standard polypropylene and stainless tube. I have to say that the craftsmanship on both is real nice.

I also really like the shape of these vapes. Totally stealth, they look like a piece of art especially since they sit on a stand. The power cord is heavier duty than the ones supplied with the Zap and the PD, which I think will delay (if not eliminate) the problem of wires fraying within the cord.

Then there's the way it fits in your hand. Perfectly. I have arthritis in my hands and it feels so nice and warm. I can see where it will get some use as a heat massager too. But lets get real....I'll be using this primarily for herb. :lol:

All in all folks, I'm please to say that I think we have a contender.

momofthegoons,
Reactions: mvapes

mlo4sho

Very cool, congrats on your launch. Had read many of your posts regarding this vaporizer and have been interested for a while. Great design, very art-like. I also love the glass tube, I think it would be cool to see the vapor in your tube, not to mention any benefits it may or may not have in the taste department. All-in-all, looks as if you've done a great job. Can't wait to see some videos and/or reviews.

mlo4sho,

Alan

Master JedHI
Manufacturer
Thanks all.
Here is a shot of the roasting tubes that are available.
toastytubes.jpg

Left to right - Polypropylene, bloodwood, red oak, osage orange, purpleheart, heat aged purpleheart, and borosilicate glass. There is a high temp silicone sleeve between the glass and stainless steel. The polypropylene test tube is for storing and cleaning the glass tube. The photo shows how the roasting tubes thread on to the connecting tubes. A 15/64" hole was bored through the wood and poly mouthpieces.
Forgot to mention to mom that the pegs in the stand will come out and work great for installing the screens in the roasting tube.

momofthegoons

vapor accessory addict
Forgot to mention to mom that the pegs in the stand will come out and work great for installing the screens in the roasting tube.

You know, they are the perfect size. I didn't even think of it. In any case, it's only needed when you have clumsy, fat fingers like mine! :lol:

momofthegoons,

IAmKrazy2

Darth Vapor
Thanks Mom, glad to hear you like it so far. I don't think I have a lot of use for it, but i like the stems a lot. Also, the fact the whole unit opens for cleaning and visibility of the inner is very nice.

IAmKrazy2,

momofthegoons

vapor accessory addict
Krazy, with all the PD's and other vapes you own, I can understand. It's a real nice little vape though. And who knows? Never say never. ;)

momofthegoons,

Nycdeisel

Mom your review up there now has me interested, I remember seeing this a while back in another thread here.

It does look like a nice twist on the regular log vapes, possibly something I might look further into in teh future :)

Nycdeisel,

Rick

Zapman
Good job Alan! Glad to see the official release of your modified log vape. Looks like you have taken great care in making a quality product available at a good price.
I would agree that the 'top' configuration is very stealthy. I will also say, as a maker of a competing product, I am happy you left the Top "in the stand" for now anyway.
Congratulations on your official roll-out. We will all be anxious to read more reviews.
Would it be OK to contact you if I have a question or two about your construction techniques? i might want to copy an item or two from your ingenious design.

Alan

Master JedHI
Manufacturer
Thanks Rick. That means a lot coming from you. Would be happy to discuss construction techniques. Contact me anytime.

I hope everyone will enjoy the Toasty Top for many years to come.

arf777

No longer dogless
Great form factor! I have pain and circulation problems in my hands, looks like this would feel even nicer in them than my PD. Been considering buying a back-up log, was thinking about a Pilsner-style Woodeez, but will have to do this puppy instead. Looks even easier on the arthritic paws.

arf777,

Alan

Master JedHI
Manufacturer
Thanks arf. The concave area near the top was formed specifically for sore fingers. The outer surface of the wood is much closer to the heat sink at that point and therefore much hotter. The very top is curved so that it can be used for heat massage. It feels that your hands are able to absorb the heat as fast as it is being produced. Very comforting.

Alan,

IAmKrazy2

Darth Vapor
momofthegoons said:
Krazy, with all the PD's and other vapes you own, I can understand. It's a real nice little vape though. And who knows? Never say never. ;)

I didn't say never. I'm a collector, and it is very possible I would get one to try. Honestly, the review from Mom sparked some interest. Damn.

@reece. Not have a "need" has really never stopped me but with the VXC/EpicVape soon, and the recent purchase of an Supreme2 and replacement VHW even I am beginning to think I may be spending too much on vapes as of recent. Oh yeah, did I mention just spent some big bucks on glass too?

That all being said, I kindof want one, but not bad enough to pull the trigger. Yet.

IAmKrazy2,
Top Bottom