The Toasty Top

momofthegoons

vapor accessory addict
Received a glass stem from Alan this week, along with some silicone tubing pieces. Love the glass stem. It's sleek, small, and completely disassembles for cleaning. It also comes in a nifty little "test tube" case which is great for storage. It works really well, both on the TT and the RZ. These get a real big :tup: from me.

momofthegoons,
Reactions: mvapes

Alan

Master JedHI
Manufacturer
Thanks for the thumbs up and posting the pic mom.
I have really been enjoying the addition of the silicone tubing around the roasting tube. It gives a higher vapor to air ratio. The Toasty Tube can also be used without the silicone sleeve around the roasting chamber. Some people like to be able to have the ability to control temperature by the depth of insertion and by mixing with room air.
The test tubes work great for cleaning as well as storage. It only takes a tiny amount of alcohol. Nice for reclaiming oil.

Alan,

Alan

Master JedHI
Manufacturer
The screen clogging thing has always kind of bugged me. I know it has been just a ritual, but there has to be a better way. The change in diameter to hold the screen secure inherently causes crud to build up.
The UnderDog silicone vapor tube does not have this issue because there is no change in internal diameter. This gave me an idea to just sandwich a 5/16" screen between two of my 5/16" thread off tips. They are held tight and the screen retained by 5/16" silicone tubing. The silicone tubing even provides an end seal when pressing it into the heat sink tube. The 1/4" screens have been removed. The increase in airflow is dramatic. The outer tip also holds about 40% more herb as it doesn't have threaded tubing taking up space. Less stirring is required as the air flows very freely. I have not had any crud build up at the edge of the screen all weekend. It just blows out clean every time. I imagine it is similar to the UD tube. Must try the UD someday. Need to try a CRZ too.

polyttdoubletip.jpg

glassttdoubletip.jpg

Alan,

Vitolo

Vaporist
Well it took me a while to read the entire thread, and study it well.
You are a very bright and resourceful fellow, that is for damn sure TV.
It looks fantastic, and I am all about the vaping... and the therapy, but you got me interested in tops... and if I can go back a good few posts, by the time the ebony piano keys entered the thread I subscribed! :)
"... wake up.....open your eyes Vito... see the world!..."

Vitolo,

PurpleDazed

TV said:
PurpleDazed - Your package should be arriving soon. Would like to hear how you like them.
Wow if ya sent it I still didnt get it. I really wanted to try these and get a nice seal and see how toasty I get :2c:

PurpleDazed,

Alan

Master JedHI
Manufacturer
PurpleDazed - I must be getting confused with FC names and real names. I will get a package out to you. Thanks for letting me know.

Vitolo - Thanks for the kind words. Tops can be very addicting. I have been making and playing with them for about 13 years now.

Alan,

Alan

Master JedHI
Manufacturer
Very nice video gvape. Thanks for posting. Looks like the short 14mm gong is working well.

Alan,

gvape

biojuggernaut said:
is that 12v? that clouds waaay better then mine.

Yup. Its running the same power supply TV supplied me with.

TV said:
Very nice video gvape. Thanks for posting. Looks like the short 14mm gong is working well.

No its the LONG. I wish I had a short one! Mines the beta model.

gvape,
gvape said:
biojuggernaut said:
is that 12v? that clouds waaay better then mine.

Yup. Its running the same power supply TV supplied me with.

TV said:

Hmm, like I know lighting can influence videos a lot but I know what my top puts out with my radio shack cord. Alan do you think Rick's AC plug will get the Toasty Top a little more heated like that because I have another one of those laying around the house?

Radioshack's enercell seems to have a higher amp but hopefully this will get thicker clouds.

biojuggernaut,

gvape

Would you like me to shoot one without a light aiming on the piece? I can take it with just the overhead lights on. It still milks up pretty well, I am not quite sure which works better, its a tough call between this and the Underdog. Underdog might be slightly better due to the perfect seal. I also can control the size of the bowl by making custom ones. The Top although has an GONG attachment with no silicone. If it were a bit shorter, I would like the top a bit more.

Also, my Top has always seem to run on the hotter side, and I love that it does.

Lastly, I have a enercell 9-13amp 800mah adapter I got from radioshack; I use this for my PD. I have not put the 13v on the top, but have on the Underdog and it works great. I dont think I would want my Top to get any hotter than it already does.

gvape,
can you post a link please as to what you have. I have the enercell 6-12v. Its output is only 2.5 amps though which is more then other plugs but like I said it still looks like you're getting way bigger clouds then my top.

biojuggernaut,

Alan

Master JedHI
Manufacturer
gvape said:

You did get a beta. I forgot. I must be doing to much testing with my new tube configuration. I didn't have my thermal probe when you got your Top. I'm now measuring the temperature of the TT's before they leave. Your Top looks to be 400 F plus. You may also be having better airflow with the UD tube since they seem to be less restrictive.

Bio - I believe that mom tried one of Ricks power supplies and got about the same temp on the TT. I have placed my TT in a coozie before to raise the temp a bit. The ones with the hole in the bottom center work well for plugging them in. The coozie sort of acts as the stand. I have not left it in the coozie for longer than I was using it. The lighting may have been really good in gvapes video too. lol

Alan,

momofthegoons

vapor accessory addict
Bio - I believe that mom tried one of Ricks power supplies and got about the same temp on the TT.
Yep, I sure did. And the temp was the same.

But hooooold up. gvape, how did you use your TT with glass? Which stem did you use? It looks like a glass tube.... Did I miss something here? Did you put silicone on the end of the glass where it meets the 14mm gong? I'm so confused...

momofthegoons,

Alan

Master JedHI
Manufacturer
I thought for sure I had posted a photo of my shortie 14mm glass Toasty Tubes. Guess not. My fault mom. Well here is a photo I took a while back. The silicone tubing arrangement has changed slightly.

shortie14mmglasstoastytube.jpg

Alan,

gvape

TV said:
You did get a beta. I forgot. I must be doing to much testing with my new tube configuration. I didn't have my thermal probe when you got your Top. I'm now measuring the temperature of the TT's before they leave. Your Top looks to be 400 F plus. You may also be having better airflow with the UD tube since they seem to be less restrictive.l

Haha, new tube? What did you get, please share :) Dont get me wrong, I love my top, I just know it runs really hot. Always wondered if it was hotter than others.

momofthegoons said:
But hooooold up. gvape, how did you use your TT with glass? Which stem did you use? It looks like a glass tube.... Did I miss something here? Did you put silicone on the end of the glass where it meets the 14mm gong? I'm so confused...

I used the Fatty Glass Stem with a ground glass joint end. Alan posted a picture above. They work great, although I wish mine was REALLY SHORT. Like no bigger than an inch long. Than it would be ideal and work perfect. It sticks out too far right now.

biojuggernaut said:
can you post a link please as to what you have. I have the enercell 6-12v. Its output is only 2.5 amps though which is more then other plugs but like I said it still looks like you're getting way bigger clouds then my top.

This is the one I have for my PD. However, as I have said I DO NOT use it with the top at 13v. Although it does work in all of my log vapes at the 12v setting.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3832487

gvape,

momofthegoons

vapor accessory addict
Thanks guys. You know Alan, I think you did post this pic, but I must not have been paying attention. Thanks for posting it again.

momofthegoons,

PurpleDazed

gvape said:
I used the Fatty Glass Stem with a ground glass joint end. Alan posted a picture above. They work great, although I wish mine was REALLY SHORT. Like no bigger than an inch long. Than it would be ideal and work perfect. It sticks out too far right now.

Well I have a shortie Tapered glass tube and unless your using a bong with a carb hole I would not go for a 1 inch tube cause its gonna get real hott and if you dont have a carb hole and need to pull the tube out to clear the bong you may get burned from the hott glass.

PurpleDazed,

havock69

Maybe put a ring of silicone on the glass to handle it and silicone like the new TT stems to make it sturdier? I think that would provide a great hit and stability.

havock69,

gvape

havock69 said:
Maybe put a ring of silicone on the glass to handle it and silicone like the new TT stems to make it sturdier? I think that would provide a great hit and stability.

So a short glass stem, an inch tall with a piece of high temp silicone around it. Nice and short and easy to pick up. I also would not want a carb, well maybe it would be nice to have both, but I'd prefer no carb. Then again I have not tried any stems with a carb.

gvape,

Alan

Master JedHI
Manufacturer
gvape said:
havock69 said:

So a short glass stem, an inch tall with a piece of high temp silicone around it. Nice and short and easy to pick up. I also would not want a carb, well maybe it would be nice to have both, but I'd prefer no carb. Then again I have not tried any stems with a carb.

I like it havock69. You can slide the silicone ring down until it stops at the top of the glass joint. That would add stability. I have been cutting silicone rings for my Poly Toasty Tubes so that they fit into a 14mm joint. Looks like I have another size of silicone tubing to buy for the outside of the glass tubes. lol

Alan,

Alan

Master JedHI
Manufacturer
havock69 said:
I should win a toast top for the suggestion. :brow: Hahaha

The real prize is in how good you feel helping others. :)
Well, maybe not as good as a Toasty Top but still pretty good.

Alan,
Top Bottom