• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

The Toasty Top

J.R.R.Tokin'

Wych Doctor
Manufacturer
Hi Alan,

Haven't heard anything from you in a while. I was wondering how your getting on with your new designs? Any chance they'll be ready to roll out before the new year?

J.R.R.Tokin',

Alan

Master JedHI
Manufacturer
J.R.R.Tokin' said:
Hi Alan,

Haven't heard anything from you in a while. I was wondering how your getting on with your new designs? Any chance they'll be ready to roll out before the new year?

Sorry for the silence. Have been busy at work on the new design. Shouldn't be much longer. Will make a post about it soon. Thanks for hanging in there.

Alan,

Alan

Master JedHI
Manufacturer
I'm really looking forward to see the video Vito is putting together for the Toasty / Turbo Tubes.
His videos are the best.

Alan,

Vitolo

Vaporist
Friends....
A Video Documentary.
Toasty Top Tube Design

Touch image to view Documentary
This video offering shows the relentless pursuit of the ideal roasting tube for the Toasty Top, in the heart of Alan Gray~
Thanks Alan!

Vitolo,

Alan

Master JedHI
Manufacturer
Another amazing Vito video. Thank you so much for all the effort to put it together Vito. It has been fun discovering new ways to connect tubing together. I'm glad to were able to give me some great feedback and help guide the tube development.

Thanks J.R.R.Tokin'.

One other thing that is very cool about the tubes with the 3/8" silicone sleeve, they fit into the cap of the storage tube to seal up and hold any un-roasted material for later. Several tubes can be pre-loaded.

Alan,

momofthegoons

vapor accessory addict
What a nice video Vito! You have really explained the evolution of Alan's tubes. And, I have to say, that lilac tube is amazing. I'm going to have to look and see if there is any deadwood on my lilac bush... :lol:

Great job, both Vito and Alan.

momofthegoons,
Reactions: mvapes

vapormonkey

Make a small wooden tip that plugs into the bottom and spin it like a top! :brow:

Then paint one to look like a classic top and go ahead and give it a spin.

vapormonkey,
What a beautiful vape alan. truely a work of art. i was reading about the toasty top on your website and it said there was heat up time of around 40 minutes. does that mean it takes that long to start roasting or for the heat to make it to the outside of the wood for massage/hand warming? i apologize if thats already been answered somewhere on here

Garrett518,

Alan

Master JedHI
Manufacturer
Thanks, you are so kind Garrett518. You can start roasting in about 30 to 40 minutes. That is also about how long it takes for the wood to get hot enough for massage/hand warming. I like to leave mine plugged in 24/7. It is always ready for me. I can walk by and hold it for a while to really loosen up my hand/fingers.

I have some plastic top tips that fit perfectly into the power socket vapormonkey. They do spin pretty well. You know I had to try it.

Thanks mom. It is amazing what you can find right in your own back yard or alley.

Alan,

J.R.R.Tokin'

Wych Doctor
Manufacturer
Garrett, the 40 mins warm up is for the unit itself. This design, along with most other log vapes, is meant to be left on all day so it is ready to hit when you are.

Edit: Guess I was typing while Alan was there :)

J.R.R.Tokin',
Thanks to the both of you for replying so quickly! Im new to log style vapes so your information is much appreciated.

Garrett518,

thehunger

I'm new to log vapes, and it is quite possible you already answered this question, but what exactly would the big differences in performance be between the TT and the HI? Currently the only vape I own personally is the MFLB, but looking at getting a log in the near future and your designs look pretty good.

thehunger,

J.R.R.Tokin'

Wych Doctor
Manufacturer
The TT was designed as a multi-purpose unit. As well as being a herbal vaporizer it is also an aromatherapy atomiser, a hand warmer and a massager.

The Hi was designed to be a micro-unit with a higher temperature and better heat retention. The heating element went through a re-design to allow the shrink in size.

The main difference in vaping will be the temperatures. The Hi will get hotter, so if you prefer the actives that boil off at higher temps this one would be more suitable. Don't forget though that the way you draw (i.e. speed, screen depth) will affect the vapor build-up.

J.R.R.Tokin',

thehunger

J.R.R.Tokin' said:
The TT was designed as a multi-purpose unit. As well as being a herbal vaporizer it is also an aromatherapy atomiser, a hand warmer and a massager.

The Hi was designed to be a micro-unit with a higher temperature and better heat retention. The heating element went through a re-design to allow the shrink in size.

The main difference in vaping will be the temperatures. The Hi will get hotter, so if you prefer the actives that boil off at higher temps this one would be more suitable. Don't forget though that the way you draw (i.e. speed, screen depth) will affect the vapor build-up.

Why thank you sir, the HI has definitely piqued my interest, and I will be looking forward to seeing some reviews on it!

thehunger,

Alan

Master JedHI
Manufacturer
thehunger said:
I'm new to log vapes, and it is quite possible you already answered this question, but what exactly would the big differences in performance be between the TT and the HI? Currently the only vape I own personally is the MFLB, but looking at getting a log in the near future and your designs look pretty good.

Thanks J.R.R.Tokin' and thehunger, but just a couple of clarifications.

I was mainly going for a small size and great air flow. The fast heat time and high temperature is a bonus. I wasn't trying to make a cloud chaser.
It actually has worse heat retention than the TT. It does have better heat / air conduction. The heat is taken from the TT heating element and quickly conducted to the heavy heat sink / wood body where it is retained (good for heat massage / hand warming). Since the HI has very little metal mass, it is not able to conduct much heat away from the heating element and more is available to heat the air. The heating element is identical in both units (just shorter in the HI). Only so much heat is available. The HI just puts more of it into the air rather than the metal.

Performance wise, the TT has good airflow with a fairly high temperature. The HI has excellent airflow and a very high temperature. As with all vaporizers, the technique and material being used will determine how well it performs. Knowing what voltage you are using is also very important. 12 volts is really all that is needed and some adapters can put out more than what they say.
Either unit can be enjoyed slowly and tastefully. The HI will just extract more because of the higher temperature and it can do it a bit more quickly because of the better airflow.

Alan,

Alan

Master JedHI
Manufacturer
Thanks for re-posting the video Vito. I love the TT so much, I couldn't let it go by the way side. I had to breath new life into it. The HI was getting all the attention and the TT wasn't getting hardly any. I had even made up a bunch of heat sinks for the TT. Got to thinking about why the TT wasn't as good as the HI. The air flow is the answer.
I found a way to take the heat sinks apart so I can re-use them. The new design is similar to the old heat sink. It still has the same 1" ss sleeve and the 6 hole top washer is the same. I just replaced all of the flat washers but one (the bottom one) with star washers. I looks like a spool with star washers in the middle. The one washer that remains has 6 slots cut to allow air flow to the bottom of the center tube. The air flow is now similar to the HI. The temperature is not as high as the HI, but the taste is very good. Combustion is not a worry. Have been using my TT a lot lately. It also only takes 15 minutes to heat up now. Much better than the 30 to 45 minutes with the old design.
The core is also fairly easy to change out. Just need to get some more made in between making HI's.

Alan,

J.R.R.Tokin'

Wych Doctor
Manufacturer
Great re-posting that vid Vitolo, very tranquil. I have always really liked the TT and though it was getting a bit neglected. I have one on order atm and am not shocked that Alan has made even more innovations on this great design.
Have a Hi on order too, with the Myrtlezap I picked up on the classified section the other day my log vape collection is starting to grow.

Here's to the 'Good-Wood' movement :D

J.R.R.Tokin',

momofthegoons

vapor accessory addict
Although I've never been unhappy with the way my TT works, I'm sorely tempted to see what the new core is all about. :lol:

I also have a HI on order. It will be really interesting to see the difference.

momofthegoons,
Reactions: mvapes

PurpleDazed

momofthegoons said:
Although I've never been unhappy with the way my TT works, I'm sorely tempted to see what the new core is all about. :lol:

I also have a HI on order. It will be really interesting to see the difference.

+1 here as well

I am currently using my TT as the go to vape. and am patiently waiting for a HI I have yet to order but knowing Allan I wont be waiting much longer.

PurpleDazed,

Vitolo

Vaporist
I am going nuts thinking about the new core also.
Must center self... Ohmmmmm

mmm. ohms.... electricity... ahh heater core.....
oops must center self... Ohmmmmmmmm

Vitolo,
Top Bottom