Discontinued The Sublimator

Tweek

Although not as thick as the sublimator screens, the ones from PV are easy to seat with a finger, so that is a good option for those who want to lock it in but find the stock screen frustrating.

Tweek,
Reactions: smokum

weedemon

enthusiast
I want to do another rip, but I am just still so damn stoned! gonna have to wait but will test this out tweek!

*edit,
can someone explain to me why it is not a good idea to put the atomizer in the stand with the apollo? is it a stability issue? i feel no issues thermally on the stand, and as long as both handles are pointed down, it seems stable enough to me!

satyrday

I received my small Manifest Cirq Perc and this 14/18mm adapter today:
http://aqualabtechnologies.com/glas...ers/alt-14-18-mm-low-pro-reducer-adapter.html

Problem is the adapter has too small of a hole for the atomizer to fit through. I dremeled the hell out of it but seemed to only wear down my dremel burr bits (I think I made three of them virtually bald).

It's possible this adapter is defective, but I think it's just an unusual application for it. Anybody know of a reducer that will work with the atomizer?

satyrday,

jambandphan03

in flavor country
I am using the reducer that I got from PlanetVape with my Sublimator. You might want to contact them ahead of time and make sure they sell one that will fit, or maybe they will see this and chime in with an answer... :D

hassan

Connoisseur
if I end up having trouble with my reducer, I think I'll cry.

my glass is 18 mm, but based on previous suggestions in the thread, and reports of the atomizer locking onto the ridges, I decided to go with the 14mm and didn't think to ask pv to include one.

hassan,
Reactions: smokum

satyrday

hassan, the hole in my adapter is approx 8.5mm and the atomizer diameter approx 9mm. I assume the atomizer dimensions are fairly standardized.

I might buy a special glass grinding bit for my dremel tomorrow.

satyrday,

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
You can't tell if your combusting by the delivery?! :uhoh:

Ask Centizen, he was the one pulling on it when it happened. He said he suspected combustion and I said exactly what you just said. Then we broke up the little puck of ABV and it was clear that there had been a little combustion.

pakalolo,
Reactions: Tweek

CentiZen

Evil Genius in Training
Accessory Maker
I had Centizen over for a Sublimator demo this afternoon. I think he liked it. We went through about 1.5g and most of that was him hitting the Sub.
Oh he certainly did! I was really glad to be able to get to try one of these unit's in real life.

Those of you who were present for the original thread may remember that I was initially very negative towards this product line and brand. I interpreted the situation to be that someone was trying to pull a fast one on the vaporizer community and I'm pretty embarrassed by how I dealt with that. For that, I want to extend my most sincere apology to you Enrico, I really am sorry.

As most have already said in this thread, this thing can perform. It's not perfect, it has some rough edges and still needs work, but it is a proof of a concept that seems to be to be able to provide the most complete extraction in the shortest amount of time I have ever experienced.

When we first started hitting it, the ABV that was coming out was similar to that of a well toasted but not overdone load out of the cloud. We were weighing loads and aiming for about .1 or so per load to try to keep things constant. A identically sized load in the Sublimator seemed to produce a noticeably larger amount of vapor than a fully heated cloud even on the lower settings that we were running it on initially. I would say the body of the vapor was at least 15% larger proportional to the cloud. This makes sense since there is a much greater radial/conductive heat present in the Sublimators design with the heated bowl.

I liked the hits I was getting from the Sub a lot. I usually use glass vapes though, so there was a noticeable taste difference to the Cloud or Arizer I use on a regular basis. But it was not enough to stop me from pulling over a gram through it in only a few hours.

However, like Pakalolo said, we did have a few issues. I’d really like to see the design adapted so that a screen can be secured to the atomizer, preventing it from falling out when emptying the load. Perhaps it can be integrated to the point where the crucible of the atomizer connects to the stem piece/teflon.

As well, we did have a couple issues with combustion. I’m not surprised at how easy it is to combust in there because of how much heat it uses to flash vape the load. I only had one incident with combustion when I remembered to use the screen, however. On the lower temperatures when I forgot the screen, the load vaporized just fine and only a few pieces escaped the atomizer. On the higher temperatures, this happened; where the top of the puck was heated to the point of singing while the lower part was fine.

2wozk7p.png

Bottom line, use the screen. Not the end of the world if you forget it, but it is important. It is a very nice screen as well, made from a perforated sheet of metal instead of the meshes that are normally used. I’d like to see more made like this.

It worries me how exposed the hot parts of this vape are, however. The handles do not get hot, but they are the only part of the vape that does not get vaporizing temperature hot in normal operation. I feel like the stand included with the apollo is simply inadequate for the amount of weight it needs to support. The Sublimator is a very hefty unit for it’s size, enough to tip my bong that has a 8 inch wide base. We kept the Sublimator on a ceramic plate instead of using the stand.

Like others have said, the quality of the cord is very surprising for a unit with a price tag like this one. The in-line dimmer seems to be a simple logarithmic rheostat potentiometer, which leads to issue when trying to make small adjustments at the higher end of the temperature scale. Like Hippie Dickie mentioned in a post in another thread, wear patterns and current degradation could end up being a problem in the future for this kind of setup. I feel like the digital modulated version is going to be a much better experience for people, especially those of us like myself or SliM who want to get to the very top of the vaporizing spectrum without starting to pyrolysise or combust the load.

But even with these issues, the Sublimator does an incredible job of vaporizing. The current iterations of the Sublimator feel rough, kind of like driving an old car with no power steering or automatic brakes - but with the engine of a Ferrari put in it. But I think that the design could easily be adapted to make it a safer and more ergonomic/stoner friendly vaporizer. Once that happens, I don’t think I will be able to stop myself from getting one.

Also, I think the Cloud and Sub like each other. As in, like each other a lot. We left them alone for like five goddamn minutes and they were on top of each other.

rws2mq.png

Ask Centizen, he was the one pulling on it when it happened. He said he suspected combustion and I said exactly what you just said. Then we broke up the little puck of ABV and it was clear that there had been a little combustion.
It was pretty obvious to me by the taste that something had gone bump... but I figured I had just gone to the point of singing and not quite combusting since like CheeseSandwich said, it's quite a smooth combustion. Whenever I know I'm combusting I stop pretty much right away.

Nebu

Post-Apocalyptic Renaissance Man
It was pretty obvious to me by the taste that something had gone bump... but I figured I had just gone to the point of singing and not quite combusting since like CheeseSandwich said, it's quite a smooth combustion. Whenever I know I'm combusting I stop pretty much right away.

Gotchya. People's sensitivities vary greatly (especially those acclimated to smoking). I suspect many people are conflating combustion with ignition. It doesn't take fire to create smoke. Probably OT here and something for another thread.... perhaps a "smoke-detector of truth" thread. :cool:

Nebu,
Reactions: zmurder

CentiZen

Evil Genius in Training
Accessory Maker
Would you kindly change your txt colour?

Mine? Sure but I'm not sure exactly what is wrong with it. I use the mobile skin, so that might have something to do with it.

Once I figure out what is up with that I'll fix the text color... are all my other posts the same way?

Got it fixed now, thanks for the heads up guys.

CentiZen,

Enchantre

Oil Painter
Mine? Sure but I'm not sure exactly what is wrong with it. I use the mobile skin, so that might have something to do with it.
I had to highlight your text to read it... I have the FC Default Style, and your text was dark grey on black. Minor annoyance, nothing serious. Love your review of it!

Enchantre,
Reactions: Tweek

Fillerman

From solid to gas should be more efficient than from solid to liquid to gas or perhaps slower...at least I think so...

Im sorry, but that is wrong. Vaporizers do not make the plant go from solid->liquid->gas. Plants are mixtures(both solid and liquid). Vaporization is the transition from liquid to gas, and sublimation is the transition from solid to gas, so it would follow, since plants are mixtures, that if the sublimator only did sublimation, it would only turn the solids of the plant into a gas. THC like water has many phases. I believe when it is warmed it is a liquid, and when it's cooled it is a solid. The sublimator seems to do both vaporization and sublimation.

Fillerman,

stickstones

Vapor concierge
Im sorry, but that is wrong. Vaporizers do not make the plant go from solid->liquid->gas. Plants are mixtures(both solid and liquid). Vaporization is the transition from liquid to gas, and sublimation is the transition from solid to gas, so it would follow, since plants are mixtures, that if the sublimator only did sublimation, it would only turn the solids of the plant into a gas. THC like water has many phases. I believe when it is warmed it is a liquid, and when it's cooled it is a solid. The sublimator seems to do both vaporization and sublimation.

We've come a long way since page 1 on this thread...keep reading!

Top Bottom