• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Storage Ideas

Seren

Away with the fairies
I can't say I've ever had to personally stash a kilo, and I'm not sure which type or how many jars you have at home. But, to preserve herb it's usually best to protect it from oxygen and light. If you aren't able to vacuum pack, it's also best to try to fill your container as much as possible without crushing the herb, and open it as infrequently as possible. Have you considered packing it in monthly/weekly amounts in your usual containers? :2c: :)

hoorah

Ideally, I need something asap and cheap, CVault looks small and probably expensive.

And do you know how many jars I would need for a kg??? lol, is cling flim wrap plus foil and in a freezer not a good idea? It was the best thing I came up with :/

How much are vacuum packing machines?

And I plan to store 100g on hand at a time.

hoorah,

paytonpenn

Level 30 Nature/Healer
We all have different views of cheap, different opinions on what makes what expensive.
If you don't want to read the thread and just want to see sizes.

What are the dimensions of that brick, its hard for me to understand how much 1kg is because to me its just a weight.

EDIT:
Also knowing your country would be helpful to help us know what's available to you. Since you need it ASAP

Last edited:

Caligula

Maximus
Just pick up a large container meant to store coffee. Most specialty shops have them like Bead Bath and Beyond or whatever its equivalent is in your country.

Any container for that purpose that isn't a piece of shit will be air and light proof and cheap compared to stuff made specifically for marijuana. Also IIRC you shouldnt store your herb in the freezer... But I may be wrong there.

way2

You can get a case of mason jars very cheap on amazon. Foil and cling wrap will not work long term.

Edit: 1kg=2.2 lbs

way2,
Reactions: Seren

weedemon

enthusiast
another vote for glass mason jars. just make sure it's dry before you jar it up. if it's still a lil "Fresh" thats ok. you can actually cure it then.

search for how to cure your bud. I's sure you will find all you need. if not pm me and I'll help ya out.

hoorah

To give you guys an idea, the dimensions are 23 x 17 x 6 CM (L x W x H)

Country SE Asia ...

And it was very fresh, it came straight from a farm in Laos, and heavily wrapped in that thick plastic stuff. However when I cut the corner and then cling flim'd it, it's not as good as the original wrap and smells still.

Main problem is, I have a studio condo and it's humid as fuck in the day and in the night the AC sucks the place dry. It would probably be dry as an old ladys VAJJ if I took it out the plastic over night.

hoorah,

weedemon

enthusiast
I'd rather too dry than too wet. mold is the worst thing man.

I'd say dry it enough till the base of the stem on the buds "snap" ot at least make a snap sound. then you can jar em up. you will have to vent them on occasion too. if you don't there may still be too much moisture in there.

out of curiosity. can we see a quality shot of a nug up close?

but bottom line is: you're best off drying it then curing it properly.

hoorah

I was thinking the same, just dry it out to be sure, I don't want to risk losing a kg of weed. I can't really be sure how wet it is but it's pretty damn sticky but at the same time I don't want to ruin it.

It's thai brick weed, not chronic, it's like older western style "grass", no crystals or nowt ;p

I guess I should dry it to death, store it in a cofee or airtight container and store 100g with some iceberg lettuce at a time?

http://www.420magazine.com/forums/frequently-asked-questions/86257-how-cure-your-marijuana-crop.html

I was reading this about curing but it's a few years old so probably useless.

The problem is, this is fine for the UK but not here. I have to use AC in the night and it's a studio condo so I have now choice. Even in the closet with the door shut, it will dry the weed out completely in 12 - 48 hours, not 2 weeks!

mod note: Please avoid back-to-back posts, use Edit instead. Two posts merged.

Last edited by a moderator:
hoorah,

Snake Plissken

Transcendentalist
http://www.420magazine.com/forums/frequently-asked-questions/86257-how-cure-your-marijuana-crop.html

I was reading this about curing but it's a few years old so probably useless.

The problem is, this is fine for the UK but not here. I have to use AC in the night and it's a studio condo so I have now choice. Even in the closet with the door shut, it will dry the weed out completely in 12 - 48 hours, not 2 weeks!

Yeah, don't trust anyone's advice when they tell you to flavor your flowers w/ additives. They probably tell you to spray them down w/ 7up to create a nice crystally appearance on the next page. Looks like 100 grams of good concentrate to me - that would store pretty easily. A pressed key is going to expand dramatically when you start ripping into it.

If you have so little control over your environment, you could try jar curing the flowers the rest of the way. Place flowers in jar (about 80% full) and pull the lid on and off as needed to redistribute moisture from the stems to the flowers. When opening the jar, after being closed a while, you should get a good idea of how much moisture there really is. Gently move flowers around now and again to keep from developing mold.

weedemon

enthusiast
I was thinking the same, just dry it out to be sure, I don't want to risk losing a kg of weed. I can't really be sure how wet it is but it's pretty damn sticky but at the same time I don't want to ruin it.

It's thai brick weed, not chronic, it's like older western style "grass", no crystals or nowt ;p

I guess I should dry it to death, store it in a cofee or airtight container and store 100g with some iceberg lettuce at a time?

thx for the reply on the quality. As long as it does it's job you are all good. and the brick stuff still makes beautiful oil if you have hte know how. How much does a kg cost out there? here that's 2000-4000 cdn easy. I bet you paid less?

Instead of writing a pm, I will just reply here so others may benefit if they didn't already know this too.

please never put lettuce, or peels etc in with your bud either! IMO, it's a bad idea. these things can contaminate your bud by introducing bacteria found on your item(leaf/peel etc), It can begin to rot while in there, and even worse you are putting moisture back into it again! once again, it may go moldy on you if you do that.

here is how i have been handling my herbs for the last 10+ years. Glass mason jars. the rubber seal makes them airtight and will stop all odour. a coffee can will not do that for you. glass mason jars are also sterile. (they are if you take the time to do so) THey are the most perfect device for your herbs.

I have a jar of weed that is over a year old, and when i bust up that stuff today. it's still sticky! if left to sit it will clump together and not even fall out of the jar initially because it wants to stay together. this is because I cured it properly. and because it's just chronic. :)
(was an outdoor grow even)

so anyways. to cure your buds.

1. open that brick up and lay it out on a tray or something to get the air in at it.

2. put it in an empty drawer or somewhere out of the way. (also out of any sources of heat or light)

3. let it sit for a while. depending on how moist it is that could be 30 min, or longer. Then give your buds a turn. you will find the top half dries faster than the bottom parts laying on your surface. you mention that the AC is redonk, and will dry your stuff out to the max in a day. so do it for 6h or whatever it takes. :) don't let your investment go off on you!

4. repeat this until the end of the stem makes a snapping sound.

5. now put your buds in jars. put them in fairly close to each other. don't go compressing them anymore than you have to. but the idea is to minimize air spaces.

6. now each day for the first week once a day open your jars and let them "breathe" (probably best during times when the AC is kicking)

after the first week you can keep doing this until you are satisfied with the process.

there was another thread where this whole topic was talked about heavily. but I can't recall it atm. someone else went even further than I did to explain why it's such a great idea to take the time to do this.

hope that helps man!

hoorah

thx for the reply on the quality. As long as it does it's job you are all good. and the brick stuff still makes beautiful oil if you have hte know how. How much does a kg cost out there? here that's 2000-4000 cdn easy. I bet you paid less?

Instead of writing a pm, I will just reply here so others may benefit if they didn't already know this too.

please never put lettuce, or peels etc in with your bud either! IMO, it's a bad idea. these things can contaminate your bud by introducing bacteria found on your item(leaf/peel etc), It can begin to rot while in there, and even worse you are putting moisture back into it again! once again, it may go moldy on you if you do that.

here is how i have been handling my herbs for the last 10+ years. Glass mason jars. the rubber seal makes them airtight and will stop all odour. a coffee can will not do that for you. glass mason jars are also sterile. (they are if you take the time to do so) THey are the most perfect device for your herbs.

I have a jar of weed that is over a year old, and when i bust up that stuff today. it's still sticky! if left to sit it will clump together and not even fall out of the jar initially because it wants to stay together. this is because I cured it properly. and because it's just chronic. :)
(was an outdoor grow even)

so anyways. to cure your buds.

1. open that brick up and lay it out on a tray or something to get the air in at it.

2. put it in an empty drawer or somewhere out of the way. (also out of any sources of heat or light)

3. let it sit for a while. depending on how moist it is that could be 30 min, or longer. Then give your buds a turn. you will find the top half dries faster than the bottom parts laying on your surface. you mention that the AC is redonk, and will dry your stuff out to the max in a day. so do it for 6h or whatever it takes. :) don't let your investment go off on you!

4. repeat this until the end of the stem makes a snapping sound.

5. now put your buds in jars. put them in fairly close to each other. don't go compressing them anymore than you have to. but the idea is to minimize air spaces.

6. now each day for the first week once a day open your jars and let them "breathe" (probably best during times when the AC is kicking)

after the first week you can keep doing this until you are satisfied with the process.

there was another thread where this whole topic was talked about heavily. but I can't recall it atm. someone else went even further than I did to explain why it's such a great idea to take the time to do this.

hope that helps man!
About $300, I have connections ;)

I opened it up, cut and corner and this what it looked like, it pulled apart and split in half effortlessly.

EMThgb3.jpg

HSRYDFc.jpg

Don't worry it's not mold, it's shitty flash on a S2, I snapped some steams inside the brick, they made a snapping sound but didn't break off. They were very stringy and strong like tree cordage, the bud was sticky it left residue on my fingers but not much and didn't need to wash them.

I'd say it's perfectly dry? But i'm just not sure, I'm paranoid and can't trust my own opinion as i've lost weed before ... Should I get the plastic off, cut it up into a 5th and store it? only thing about jars is, i'm gonna need a lot of fucking jars. And i'm moving in 3 weeks .. if I stored it in a plastic container it would condensate if it wasn't 100% dry right?

And yea it does the job, it's probabbly 5-7% in THC, compared to todays 30 plus. Now I've had a 4 week weed break. A full bowl in a SSV will turn me into a nonfunctional giant haha.

Caligula

Maximus
IMO any test showing over 30% THC in an unadulterated flower is bogus and needs to be taken with a grain of salt. Also I think turning it into a concentrate is a good idea. Then again those humidity control packs I linked you to would work very well also.

weedemon

enthusiast
right on man that shit looks neat. I bet if it wasn't pressed into a brick the buds would have been pretty. :) I have personally never seen brick weed before. it looks like it would have a decent amount of crystal even. which would explain why it's sticky if it's already dry.

when in doubt dry it a bit more. but yeah it sounds like it's ready to be cured.

I bought some 1 liter jars when canning season was in full swing here. 12 of them cost me about 10 bucks I think. I would think your kd should fit in 4 of them or so. maybe less? then as a protip wrap something around the jars so they don't rattle when you are moving :) they will be airtight so you will have no smells to worry about.

thx for the pics!

Magic9

Plant Enthusiast
If it's brick, it should be pretty dry. Jars and those silica packs. Put jars in cool place. Time tested and proven. Plastic bins work, but will impart taste. Use large glass. Then put in plastic tub for move.

Magic9,
Reactions: hoorah

hoorah

Thanks for the intelligent advice guys, love this forum, the combustion forums just seems to be full of crack heads, trolls and idiots. I will get some jars as airtight as I can find (won't be masion here), cut the weed up into squares, dry it out a little and store it with them packs in the closest. Can't really hide a kg in a studio condo anyway so that's not really a bother.

I'll check the prices for some vacuum packing though just for curiosity. People use to be pro store it in the freezer? How come they don't anymore? (I haven't really kept up with weed developments since living here for 4 years) .

Caligula

Maximus
I don't know about the freezer thing. I've never done it however I've heard the freezing and thawing will ruin the trichones, etc... which may or may not be a concern because brick weed.

Caligula,
Reactions: weedemon

weedemon

enthusiast
the freezing and thawing process is what has made that become less popular. if you keep it frozen always until you are ready to consume it's a little better. I believe that freezer is used as a really long term solution (think 2-5 years) but by that point i'd have wanted it all consumed and to have newer fresher stuff by then! :)

Lizard King

What do you think of this type of glass jar for storage/curing. It was the automatic breathing valve that caught my eye.

"Breathing Valve: Automatically exhumes gas that builds up inside the canister when it stores fermented food."

Would that be good for the curing process?

LockNLockProzoom160.jpg

http://locknlock.in/product_details.aspx?id=160

Last edited:
Lizard King,

JyARz

Innovative Glass lined containers @ www.jyarz.com
Manufacturer
What do you think of this type of glass jar for storage/curing. It was the automatic breathing valve that caught my eye.

"Breathing Valve: Automatically exhumes gas that builds up inside the canister when it stores fermented food."

Would that be good for the curing process?

LockNLockProzoom160.jpg

http://locknlock.in/product_details.aspx?id=160
The last episode of Subcool's YouTube feed features Kyle Cushman talking about the difference between aging and curing ... You might be interested.

Lizard King

The last episode of Subcool's YouTube feed features Kyle Cushman talking about the difference between aging and curing ... You might be interested.

Thank you. I like the reviews your jars are getting by the way. Going to get some soon.

Lizard King,

Lizard King

i found this video to be quite helpful when i was looking for a long term storage solution. In the end, I went with the foodsaver attachment, but the video had some other cost effective options.

It's for vacuum sealing salad in mason jars for cheap. hehe, salad in a jar.

I've been having awesome results using this method! I keep the vacuumed jars in a box in the fridge, and I let them return to room temp before I open them.

Top Bottom