• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Storage Ideas

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member
Should a person want to break down their aquistions to tinyer portions, an idea has occurred to me that may solve some of our problems of abundance.

Oxygen is the great destroyer of organic matter. It would seem to me a better idea, say if you bought an O-Z or so of herb (approz 27ish grams, I think), or so, to break it down into manageble quantities, which would vary by person.

Go to a shop that sells winery supplies and buy a can of inert gas. The can I bought comes with real small applicator tubes (like WD-40). Place one of these tubes in a freezer Zip-Lock bag (or in a Seal-a-Meal: most excellent), suck out all the air in the bag, then attach the can to the tube and add the inert gas back into the bag. Bud doesn't get too squished with the initial vaccuation of air and subsequent re-introduction of gas to bag.

Place inert gas bag in mason jar and store in a colder part of fridge, out of light - but not freeze, right?

Might work.

macbill,

Ash

vaporist
Macbill, you just gave me an idea. I have a set of those rubber stoppers wit a pump that you use to get the air out of your opened (and unfinished) wine bottles. This does a good job of keeping wine from going bad for a few days. With a small-necked jar or bottle, this could do a good job keeping herbs fresh. The only problem is that any big buds would need to be cut down to fit through the small opening.

Ash,

lwien

Sounds cool, but I've just kept bud in a Mason jar and then put the Mason jar in a dark place, like the bottom of a clothes drawer. Opened it up a year later and it was just as strong as the day the bud was new. A bit on the dry side, but as strong and potent as ever.

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member
lwien said:
Sounds cool, but I've just kept bud in a Mason jar and then put the Mason jar in a dark place, like the bottom of a clothes drawer. Opened it up a year later and it was just as strong as the day the bud was new. A bit on the dry side, but as strong and potent as ever.
All righty then! Sometimes a deal may come thru on material that takes me farther down the calandar then is my usual jaunt: I fear of failing flowers, but I'm less worried, now.

macbill,

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member
Ash said:
I have a set of those rubber stoppers wit a pump that you use to get the air out of your opened (and unfinished) wine bottles. This does a good job of keeping wine from going bad for a few days. With a small-necked jar or bottle, this could do a good job keeping herbs fresh.
You could even mod a wide mouth whatever with a wine bottle top. If it is true that there is hard plastic wine bottles, the top would be easier to saw away and attach elsewhere.

macbill,

Lo

Combustion free since '09
I have pack-ratted stuff for several years at a time with good success. I use quart mason jars. I keep current use ones in a drawer. I then use the foodsaver tube and attachment to suck the air out of the ones I want to squirrel away. I also keep them in a dark, cool, dry place :) Works very well!

Lo,

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
Comparing notes with avid tea drinking aficionados, small paint cans are considered an excellent choice for longer term storage of leaves, etc.
Like this:
mcanfamily.jpg

However I'm a little confused as to reconciling the need to dry material prior to vaping, against the concern of material drying if not stored properly.

jeffp,

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member
jeffp said:
small paint cans are considered an excellent choice for longer term storage of leaves, etc.
Brilliant! And if left on the shelf amongst the garba-lanche that is my garage, completely invisible in plain view. You could even add some paint drips for affect.

re: moisture content: Yes, peculiar, but I have first hand experience with moldy dope, and I prefer less mold than more. There is a happy spot between bone-dry and sponge-worthy - and that is of what they complain.

macbill,

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
right, those thing are air resistant but not fully air tight. the thing about the paint cans is that they're really designed to prevent paint from drying and you actually hammer them shut and pry them open when material is needed. that said, i've experienced paint drying inside a paint can but only after an extended period of time.

moloch.jpg

jeffp,

Ash

vaporist
DW and I just acquired a oz of some nice local homegrown. We smoke about every other night and this would normally last about 6 months. However, with a PD incoming:ninja:, Im guessing this is more like 9 to 12 months supply:). So I thought Id try out the vacuum-wine-stopper idea. DW has a small collection of odd-sized glass jars and bottles and I found what looks like one half of an oil& vinegar set (the kind a restaurant will deliver to your table with the salad). I thought Id have to cut up the buds to get the herb through the narrow neck of the bottle, but I managed to squeeze in whole all but one of the buds (well just use that one first). Then I used the pump to suck out the air. So far this seems to work very well, but we'll see how long the valve will hold a seal. BTW, I wouldnt recommend trying this unless you have a very long pair of tweezers for extraction from the bottle. I better not loose those tweezers.:lol:

Heres a subtly posed photo of the preserved herbs, and the tweezers, and the one bud that wouldnt fit through the neck of the bottle:
http://www5.snapfish.com/slideshow/...otsc=SHR/otsi=SPIClink/COBRAND_NAME=snapfish/

And heres a photo of one of those vacuum-wine-stopper devices (picture credit to amazon.com.):
http://www5.snapfish.com/slideshow/...otsc=SHR/otsi=SPIClink/COBRAND_NAME=snapfish/

Ash,

Nevertheless1090

What's up peeps...

I have been on this T-break for about 40 days and I'm optimistic that I will be securing a job within the next two weeks. Me and my fiancee just purchased a house and the in-laws live at the most, four minutes away!

Nevertheless, I CAN'T WAIT purchase 14g or more of dank but my girl and her family are so naive and brainwashed when it comes to Maryjane. My girl doesn't care that I vaporizer but despises the smell so, this brings me to my questions.

1. What containers do you use for storage?
2. What is the BEST WAY to keep your green's fresh (14g will take me at least a month to consume)?
3. Where would I purchase it? (Website, Walgreen, ect.)

Thanks in advance guys and I'm not looking to spend anymore $40 ish or so. Happy vaping...I'll join you soon!!:peace:

Nevertheless1090,

Nevertheless1090

Ok, so glass jars are on the radar and seem fairly easy to attain...Nice!

Now, from what I understand, your herb needs to be stored in low light areas?? So I've seen certain storage containers with a certain hue to them and I assume it's to keep them as fresh as possible. Any input? And are the glass jars air tight because we all know how pungent the smell is (mmm) when in the same room as a non vaper.

Edit: "Smell proof" answers my question. Got it

Nevertheless1090,
Reactions: JyARz

fake name

Now, from what I understand, your herb needs to be stored in low light areas?? So I've seen certain storage containers with a certain hue to them and I assume it's to keep them as fresh as possible. Any input?

UV light degrades thc, so a light proof jar would be best. Blue spectrum light degrades thc the most, so an amber hue would be best if fully light proof is not available.

chimpybits

You could also consider the CVaults which are light-tight, stainless containers that maintain a relative humidity of 62% via Humidipaks. They are certainly more expensive than mason jars.

lwien

Whatever jars you decide on, make sure that after it's loaded with bud, that there is the least amount of free airspace available. In other words, don't get jars that are too big for your stash. The smaller, the better.

SD_haze

So if you leave your jars out where sunlight hits them regularly, you need UV or stainless steel jars.

If though your jars are kept in a dark cabinet 99.9% of the time, then no reason not to get cheap quality clear glass :2c:

I always like www.SpecialtyBottle.com
=D

Slightly Medicated

(SliM) Iron Lungs
CVaults are the best. A mason jar with as a close 2nd. If I run out of CVault storage I put some of the Humidity Packs from the CVault in a mason jar and it helps allot. The only thing you need to worry about then is making sure you store them in a dark environment. If you can though CVaults have worked wonders for my medicine.

Nevertheless1090

Hey, thank you all For all the help!!

So, at the most for now, I'd probably have 28 g on hand. What size glass jar should I purchase? My greenery will be stored in a drawer majority of the time so the amber hue is not needed?

It looks like I'll be saving some dough once I pay a visit to Walmart. Any input is greatly appreciated!

Nevertheless1090,
Top Bottom