MiniVAP Vaporizer

JJ Cool F

So after a few days of 5+ sessions per day, I have a few thoughts on the QC Teflon.

The build quality of the device is high. It really feels like a premium device when holding it. I've been pairing it through a mini bubbler using the basket/rimmed screen/flexicone tube module and the Hermes 14mm glass adapter.

The taste is really immense and seems to hold for at least a dozen lungfuls (using a loosely-packed large basket). The teflon core does a nice job of 'milking' the herbs into the bubbler with each long, slow draw (approx 7 seconds). Large basket sessions seem to last at least 10 minutes, and that's starting at red. I have no idea how long a large basket would last if I started on blue and stepped my way up. Too long for my needs, that's for sure.

I've been using the power puck for the most part, so I can't really comment on how many sessions I can get out of a full charge.

I certainly won't be needing all the accessories I ordered, and in hindsight I wouldn't have bought extra flexicones or small baskets, but rather extra flexicone whips and extra large baskets. Maybe even an extra 14 mm glass adapter as a spare just in case.. I don't think I'll be using the silicone delta3d 14mm adapters because the Hermes flexicone whip and glass adapter work so well with my mini bubbler. As for the 18mm Delrin I have coming from stickstones, I'll need to buy a bigger glass piece in the new year before I can test out that adapter. I also really like my current mini bubbler, which is also really chunky and well-made for a little guy, so I'm not in a rush to upgrade my glass just yet.

Now for my gripe, and it's a big one.

The sessions last far too long for my needs, even starting on red, and at the end of a 15 minute large basket session, I'm still not feeling particularly medicated.

Sure, the flavor is tremendous throughout the session, but flavor for flavor's sake is not why I vaporize my herbs. I vape instead of combusting for health reasons, but I expect to feel medicated as part of the process. The super flavor should be an added bonus of the experience, not the primary requirement. Flavor should (again, only for my needs) be secondary to medicating efficiency.

If I could take two large baskets back-to-back, I would. But that's too much vapor over 20-25 minutes for my throat/lungs to handle.

I feel I have a few choices:

- Stick with the teflon core for another week and see if the medicating properties improve as I adjust to this new vape signature.

- Order a decarb ring immediately and when it arrives, swap out the teflon cylinder for the decarb.

- Contact Patricia and see if I can return my QC teflon core and switch it for a QC glass core.

It has to be said that my MV functions 'flawlessly'. It heats up pretty quickly (I let it heat-soak for a minute or two longer than when the flashing stops), it produces HUGE clouds and immense flavor for what can seem like an eternity (when using a bubbler), it has a superior build quality, is both cordless and can be used with mains power.

Everything else about the MV is exactly as I had hoped it would be, but the huge flavorful clouds don't seem to get me medicated, and my lungs/throat can't take the 30+ lungfuls I might require in order to feel medicated in one sitting. I take 10 minute breaks between 2 large baskets, but that takes the the best part of an hour for a session.

How can it be that a device which produces such thick clouds does not get me as medicated as even an original Pax did? Does it have to do with the pure convection properties of the device? Does conduction really impart the couch-lock feeling to a vape signature?

:peace:

EDIT:

I should add that my abv comes out a nice, even dark color, so there is definitely plenty of extraction happening.

I am extremely interested in the side-by-side reviews of those few who bought both the teflon and glass QCs. If there is a trade-off to be had where 50% of the flavor is lost during the session, but 25-50% medicating properties are added by using the glass core instead of the teflon, I have certainly bought the wrong core for my needs. How much does the decarb ring mimic the properties of the glass core, if there is indeed a noticeable difference between the two cores?

Last edited:

biohacker

Hey @JJ Cool F thanks so much for your feedback and experience! That is so weird! If you are getting clouds and the ABV illustrates proper extraction then the only thing I can think of is like you said, vape signature! I've been going through this myself with the Grasshopper as I sold my Mighty so have completely switched over to convection, and I definitely notice a difference. I notice that the effects are much more "creeper" and i'm getting a "different' medication.....more cerebral and cleaner...kinda like switching from combustion to vaping, but on a much smaller scale. Conduction does give different effects, and some (like S&B) think it's key to optimal extraction...... soooooo, IMO you NEED either the decarb ring, OR the glass core. Apparently the ring vs the glass core are VERY similar results.

Not sure when (if?) both my teflon and glass cores will be shipped, but now i'm starting to worry why it's taking so many hits to extract on red? I have huge lungs, and I remember that I simply could not handle the amount of vapour on red when I had the teflon....it's like the only vape to have ever beaten me! lol But my worry goes back to my experience with the HerbalAire....I found the hits VERY airy, and it took a very long time to extract a bowl, and too much lung irritation is not what i'm looking for. Hope the MV can extract like my GH but on a larger scale!

I'll be keeping an eye on your posts and progress bro!

abcd5432

@jjcoolf
The main reason I got the decarb kit is sessions last way too long. Ya I'm getting medicated but I just need more herbs matter as well. I pack a more full bowl to help. Just make sure you get air flow I got a poker that helps. When I pack a more full bowl I can get medicated quickly with the decarb. This is why I ordered the glass though so I could get high faster

PPN

Volute of Vapor
Apparently the ring vs the glass core are VERY similar results.
Glass Quick core delivers faster for me, it is possible it medicates better since you will get the same amount of goodies in a shorter time. Although since i use the large basket for the long teflon sessions and the small basket for the short glass core sessions. Since the Pax is famous to use a large amount of flowers and since conduction is as effective convection as it is not absurd you feel more medicated after a full Pax oven than a MV basket (even the large ones).
A member here used the better word for the MV: finesse! It will not medicate you more but in a better way, slowly, step by step keeping all the flavor&goodies for a long time.

biohacker

Damn, at first I was second guessing whether I should have purchased the glass core, but now i'm happy I did! I still don't get it though, my teflon was super HOT on red, and seriously produced some smokey vapour, in fact I think I even detected some combustion notes on red (this one had the core update).

I just don't get it, why the sessions would last so long? Unless your lungs are small or cannot handle large hits? If the temp is there, so should be the extraction?

Guess i'll find out soon enough....if it ever ships!

Last edited:

abcd5432

I posted that when I thought it was safe to make the adapter without the SS inner sleeve.
After talking to @stickstones it was decided not to go ahead with the production if the SS sleeve is not there, we just don't know how safe Delrin is by itself.
I'm confused as to what would make the inner part unsafe since that's where our vapor is going through.

@jjcoolf you still think you went over the top with adapters and accessories now that you need the decarb?

The accessories are a little pricey, but they make the device that much more amazing. Once you have the delrin and so more glass pieces to play with you'll see. Along with a decarb kit. It's fun going straight red through a decent sized glass piece.

abcd5432,
Reactions: biohacker

JJ Cool F

I'm confused as to what would make the inner part unsafe since that's where our vapor is going through.

@jjcoolf you still think you went over the top with adapters and accessories now that you need the decarb?

The accessories are a little pricey, but they make the device that much more amazing. Once you have the delrin and so more glass pieces to play with you'll see. Along with a decarb kit. It's fun going straight red through a decent sized glass piece.

Hindsight is 20/20. I don't think I'll have much need for the delta3d 14mm adapters, so had I known that I would've gotten more flexicone+ tubes instead. No biggie, I'm sure I'll mess around with them at some point.

Forgive my ignorance, but what effect does bigger glass have on the vapor? If I were to try to take bigger/longer hits out of my mini bubbler, I'd choke for sure. Does bigger glass with fancier multi bubblers and more water mean a big hit out of big glass is significantly easier on the throat/lungs than a big hit out of small glass? What concerns me is that bigger glass only means bigger hits (of similar vapor consistency/quality), which I can't really handle without coughing fits.

sixstringsmash

Forgive my ignorance, but what effect does bigger glass have on the vapor? If I were to try to take bigger/longer hits out of my mini bubbler, I'd choke for sure. Does bigger glass with fancier multi bubblers and more water mean a big hit out of big glass is significantly easier on the throat/lungs than a big hit out of small glass? What concerns me is that bigger glass only means bigger hits (of similar vapor consistency/quality), which I can't really handle without coughing fits.

Bigger glass just means a longer air path. If you get a glass piece that has more diffusion you will filter the vapor more allowing you to take a bigger hit but that will come at the price of sacrificing taste. The size of the glass doesn't matter so much as the type and amount of diffusion that's used in the glass I think.

sixstringsmash,
Reactions: JJ Cool F

JJ Cool F

Bigger glass just means a longer air path. If you get a glass piece that has more diffusion you will filter the vapor more allowing you to take a bigger hit but that will come at the price of sacrificing taste. The size of the glass doesn't matter so much as the type and amount of diffusion that's used in the glass I think.

Thanks for the info. Does bigger glass and more diffusion sacrifice anything other than taste? The MV already punches above its weight when it comes to flavor delivery, so I'm interested in achieving more 'medicinal' hits.

Going to do some research into which diffusers and bubblers people rate highly and why.

sixstringsmash

Other than taste no other sacrifices to my knowledge. You will get just as baked I guarantee. I would recommend checking out DHgate for reasonably priced glassware( buy from a reputable seller though, the FAQ on reddit.com/r/chinaglass has a good list of reputable sellers). Oh and let me mention my favorite little tip when vaping out of a water tool. Use hot water instead of cold, the steam from the hot water will further cool down your hits.

abcd5432

Thanks for the info. Does bigger glass and more diffusion sacrifice anything other than taste? The MV already punches above its weight when it comes to flavor delivery, so I'm interested in achieving more 'medicinal' hits.

Going to do some research into which diffusers and bubblers people rate highly and why.

I use 3 glass pieces usually. I have a midrange guy that I use that is modular. I rarely use him, but I will dock him into the big boy if necessary. The bigboy I use a LOT. 12 inch Taurus. It's not a popular piece among vapor enthusiasts who are all about flavor. Me personally, I ALWAYS get enough flavor.

Then I use a tiny gas station bubbler for flavor that has the most basic of percs.

I've got a good 10-20 pages written on percs, diffusion, etc. but I've been adding more to it. Hence why I have purchased a lot, and continue to purchase a ton more pieces.

The hotwater thing, I feel that's subjective. I HATE using hot water.

This is the perfect example though, I just got home from a long day of work. I know I literally will need to be in bed in the next 3 hours as I worked extra hours today. So I want to get high... I'm going to use it on red. But if I use a tiny piece, like you said, I will literally cough til I die. So I'll put it on red, pack a fat bowl, and put it through a bigger piece.

My main pieces:
12 inch Taurus
11-12 inch Matrix modular bubbler
8 inch tall (maybe?) simple perc gas station bubbler.

My thing that I find odd is that people who are obssesed with flavor still use Matrix percs and other percs like that. If you REALLY want flavor, you basically just want to put your vapor through water. You don't want any more complex percs.

The MAIN thing I like about your piece though is the ease of use. You still have the adapter in use even, I don't even use the glass adapter with that piece when I use it.

Edit:
"The sessions last far too long for my needs, even starting on red, and at the end of a 15 minute large basket session, I'm still not feeling particularly medicated."

Then you didn't thoroughly vape the buds. You'll need to figure out your technique or something because a session never lasts me 15 minutes. 30-45 maybe, but not 15 lol. Generally, even when my focus is on smoking and ONLY msoking (as in I'm trying to clear a bowl as fast as possible), I get high, distracted, and do something else at some point. Otherwise, if I just open it, stir it, and close it back up, it will be easier to produce/extract vapor.

Edit2: I would be careful about chasing vapor clouds. I still get high even without visible vapor.

Edit3: And ya, no way I could use this on red with the decarb kit and take massive rips like this. Just not happening without a larger glass piece.

Last edited:

biohacker

I personally don't know the temperature Delrin is safe at, I also don't know the temperature of the vapor passing through, so to be safe I put a SS insert/sleeve to isolate the vapor from ever touching the Delrin.

But aren't the stock mouthpieces made of delrin as well?

biohacker,
Reactions: mestizo

mestizo

But aren't the stock mouthpieces made of delrin as well?
I have no idea, and if they are, I will guess Hermes has done its homework, I don't use it anyway, I made my own out of a long tube of Stainless.
There are people in these forums that won't touch a vaporizer if it has aluminum in its hardware and the MV happens to be one of them, I personally don't care, I'm much more afraid of the Teflon than aluminum so I use a decarb kit all the time just to be safe.

Edit: their mouth piece it says in their site is made out of resin (PEI) no idea what that is, I'll google it.

From Wikipedia:
Ultem resins are used in medical and chemical instrumentation due to their heat resistance, solvent resistance and flame resistance.

I see Hermes did their homework.

Last edited:

stickstones

Vapor concierge
Done!

All the orders are out and at the post. I used the email addresses that were used with the orders, so everyone should get auto tracking updates. If you didn't get an email, check your spam folder. If you were expecting me to ship an order of yours out and you didn't get an email, shoot me a pm and I'll let you know if yours was one I got.

Smknbud

Done!

All the orders are out and at the post. I used the email addresses that were used with the orders, so everyone should get auto tracking updates. If you didn't get an email, check your spam folder. If you were expecting me to ship an order of yours out and you didn't get an email, shoot me a pm and I'll let you know if yours was one I got.

How awesome is that. I really expected it to take longer in customs, not complaining mind you at all, but have been through the ringer before. As always @stickstones, thanks for all you do here.:tup:

Top Bottom