Adobewan

Ed rocks!
So glad he's showing some love for the Iolite, still love mine, turned me onto vaping.

Adobewan,

BluePhr3ak

High,

I had this thing since 2010 and have to say that it took me some time to not want to shop for another portable vape. What I used to hate about it was it wasn't so thick, and the plastic burned my lip, even with the extension stem. Tubes get discolored with only option to discard. Over time, I found that optimal time is about 7 minutes for warming up to get a medium to thick vape. I use .02 grams of medicine. I would get 20 - 30 minutes of vaping. Then the matter of the burned lips. I saw that I had some parts from my Extreme Q. Its the extra mouthpiece and sharing mini tube. I just take the white mouthpiece off of the extended tube and place the Extreme-Q mouth piece and coupler tube over the extended stem and it is sooo much better. Glass doesn't get as host as long as plastic and the extended stem is long enough for the cool down of the vapor as well. I see the ad for the wooden stem. That looks like a tasty alternative to the plastic, but I have to say cleaning wood and how it rots over time and how it doesn't do good in cleaning solutions like the current stem and the glass. Just my take. Maybe that wooden stem has metal inside to avoid my concern. Please correct me.

Blue

BluePhr3ak,
Reactions: OF

max

Out to lunch
I found that optimal time is about 7 minutes for warming up to get a medium to thick vape.
If you wait that long before you hit it you lose vapor. You start to get vapor after it's been on for about 90 sec. Waiting until the vapor is thick may make for more satisfying hits, but it's wasting your product.

I use .02 grams of medicine. I would get 20 - 30 minutes of vaping.
I'm sure you mean .2g, not .02g. There's no way .02 will last that long. 02g is a light load in the smallest vape bowls available (discontinued Purple Days log vape).

I have to say cleaning wood and how it rots over time and how it doesn't do good in cleaning solutions like the current stem and the glass.
It'll take way longer than you'll use it for it to rot. That's simply not a concern, nor is using ISO to clean the inside of residue. I used the same wooden pipe for over 20 years as my daily smoking device, and cleaned it with ISO well over 1000 times. I dare say I could easily use it another 20 years at the same rate, if I still smoked.

BluePhr3ak

If you wait that long before you hit it you lose vapor. You start to get vapor after it's been on for about 90 sec. Waiting until the vapor is thick may make for more satisfying hits, but it's wasting your product. I don't see anything lost, but when I try to wait a minute and a half, I get no clouds until later and not much after the few clouds...Has anyone else tried to preheat this long??

I'm sure you mean .2g, not .02g. There's no way .02 will last that long. 02g is a light load in the smallest vape bowls available (discontinued Purple Days log vape). Yes, sorry.

It'll take way longer than you'll use it for it to rot. That's simply not a concern, nor is using ISO to clean the inside of residue. I used the same wooden pipe for over 20 years as my daily smoking device, and cleaned it with ISO well over 1000 times. I dare say I could easily use it another 20 years at the same rate, if I still smoked.
cool thanks.

BluePhr3ak,

Ed's TnT

Woodsman
Manufacturer

A little care and preventive maintenance can go an awful long way with any wooden piece!

MrNorml

Hi there!

Popping in again because the Iolite kicks ass and I'm shouting it from my virtual, vape-infested rooftop. While it's the vape that converted me to a full-on vaporist and ardent fuck combustionist, I don't use it much these days (got mine brand new in late January), but when I do it reminds me how convenient and awesome it is once you get your routine down (heating time, draw speed, etc.).

Since buying it new, there hasn't been a single instance where I've had to click more than twice to ignite after kicking it on. Absolutely zero issues. Love it.

Yay for my little black Iolite! :tup:

I had some expensive box units that ignited all over the place and I reverted back to a 1-hitter (most efficient of all IMHO) but I had to stop combusting, got an Iolite and was sold immediately on vaporizing. Even bought one as a gift for a buddy (he really never uses it either!) When it works, the Iolite is great. It just seems to me from reading and operating that there are some reliability issues that others don't have, so to me the bad outweighs the good. But - I sure did like sparking it up, hitting it for a while, opening and topping it off with fresh bud, hitting it for a while, etc ad nauseum and didn't mind carrying a tiny can of fuel. I just found that I needed several to be able to always use 1. While entering this note, I sparked mine up (5 clicks) and notice it is not as 'fluffy' as e.g. a Solo, and the vapor is much warmer coming into my mouth (and therefore lungs). The Iolite does deliver results as well as anything else I've tried. The Iolite got me vaping to never combust (never say never, but very rarely and never by my choice) and I like Iolites enough to have bought 3 (plus another for my bud) but they rarely get use anymore. Any vape that can get someone to quit combusting is worth an awful lot to me and the Iolite has done that over the last several years. Just not sure given the 'difficulties' that "most" (and I am confident in saying that) have essentially critical issues far too often to conclude they are overall reliable. Don't even start on the Wispr!
For those who, like you, never have issues, that is wonderful! Given its results, don't fix a watch that isn't broken. If my original Iolite hadn't broken, I would have never needed to experiment with others. And I would have saved a bunch of bux by not having such a collection. "Looking for Mr. Goodbar" or something. Each offers something. Each lacks something. Iolite is a great unit. When it works, it works great.

MrNorml

Tough call. One thought, an iolite is a backup of sorts. It will carry you over some rough spots and provide an alternative vape to enjoy when you've got both in working order.

I think a lot has to do with how you use it. Being retired I often have the time to take a break in the garden for 15 or 20 minutes. A fresh cup of tea and the Iolite make excellent companions in such times. I have an insulated, unbreakable (yes, I've tried) mug for the tea. This is a very relaxed sort of session. Having the Iolite clicking along ready when I decide to take a hit really fits into that frame of mind. Relaxing in it's own right. Reminds me a little of smoking the hubbly bubbly with friends, sipping on the mouthpiece from time to time. I've even added the cut off mouthpiece from the VG to the Iolite as it fits this mode better to me. Not like the MFLB in that it's not a good way to grab a quick hit or two.

Your call, but from here Iolite would be covering your downtime with MFLB and expanding your options at the same time perhaps? If you have access to bubble hash, it's also a real treat in Iolite IMO, well worth the price of admission.

OF

GREAT ANALYSIS! And great advice. That would be 2 of the most popular units out there, and we all know 2 is better than 1. Of course, that leads to vaporizer addiction with that cost and complex (like having many different units) is worse than simple. The Iolite is just only slightly more complex than the MFLB really. Cost is just more. And yes it is good for longer sessions, which is great with me. Frankly having some 'limit' like 12 minutes makes me do things I really would prefer to not do. It rushes me. And I really don't want a '1=hit' approach. And the Iolite has that "old-style cell phone" or some such look (not that I'd be holding it up to show a cop in the next car over) but it can be put into a big-gulp cup and use the big-gulp straw over the stem and voila! hidden stealty and not too terribly smelly cup of crop. During this entry, I cut off the end of some tubing that connects to a nebulizer and fit it over the Iolite stem (just the initial or first stem, sans extensions or mouthpiece). I cut the tubing about 20" long, and it is a cool, large hitting machine that lasts and lasts - I'm guessing 15 min is a short session for me. But I refill or top off too. Slow and steady and all that. Yes, I use more than a 1-hitter (which I consider the LB to be). But I'm not really a 1-hit man anymore. The Iolite gives freedom in terms of time, it reminds you that it is on by its noise, holds a goodly amount (although partial fills work fine too). Man, now I feel like I should appoligize to my Iolite too ... Sigh . . .

MrNorml,
Reactions: OF

BluePhr3ak

try what I suggested with .2 grams and see what I mean otherwise not. This is obviously a snob site. I'm trying to share from my experience....peace n keep on vapin'!!!

BluePhr3ak,

OF

try what I suggested with .2 grams and see what I mean otherwise not. This is obviously a snob site. I'm trying to share from my experience....peace n keep on vapin'!!!

Wow, sounds like you're offended. If so, I'm sorry but I don't see a basis for that. I guess I don't agree it's a snob site (for that you need to hang with the Volcano and Cloud guys.....only kidding, no hate mail please?). Sure folks have strongly held opinions, but IMO that's a good thing.

I'm on record for how I feel about Iolite and how I like to use it, I surely see no real difference in my opinion and yours. As individuals we just came to similar but not identical conclusions. I hope you contribute more, long term owners have a lot to offer by way of their honest experiences as I see it.

Thanks for conveying yours. I, and I'm sure many others, value it.

OF

OF,

elevation

I didn't use the iolite in a while, but i picked up a new can of good quality butane. so i figured to give it a good clean.
I just did a full bowl of Amnesia Haze and it pretty much got me right where i wanted to be. It took me about 20 minutes to finish the bowl.

It is a needy device. The stems need regular maintenance, and the screens need a regular iso bath.
The bowl is pretty big and it gets the best performance when filled properly, and it takes a while to heat up to get at that perfect temperature, but..

The vapor tastes good the whole vapor session, which takes me about 20 minutes and that is pretty impressive. It may not be the most practical device but i would say it has it's uses. I wouldn't take the Arizer Solo camping. This would be the device i would take with me.
I could just take a couple of the little 18 ml Unilite refill butane bottles. I point that out because it might help someone. One of those can fill a lighter 5 times, so it should give your IO a couple more fills too. And you wont have to carry 300 ml which is more like 2 months worth lol.

Anyway i'm baked

:peace:

elevation,
my iolite has been working great, but recently it has not been igniting at all, and before it started to not to work, it took 10+ clicks to ignite, but it would always eventually work. However now it does not ignite at all. Their is butane in the unit, when i turn the switch to 1 i hear the gas roaring. and i use 5x refined butane. Does anyone know a way to fix this problem?

andrew meyer,

OF

owever now it does not ignite at all. Their is butane in the unit, when i turn the switch to 1 i hear the gas roaring. and i use 5x refined butane. Does anyone know a way to fix this problem?

A couple of guys have worked on them with success. There's a couple screws under the soft label on one side (the one that says 'made in Ireland' IIRC). You need to pry the label off to get to them. Inside there's a standard striker (a guy took one from a BBQ lighter IIRC) easy to replace if it's broken) but the usual problem is the electrode placement. It's pretty straightforward inside. The spark gap is about mid way on the burner body. Cleaning any debris from the area and making sure the spark jumps at the right place seems to set it right again.

Otherwise you can send it in of course. Don't send the bowl and use some ISO and steel wool on a stick to clean the chamber.

Good luck.

OF

OF,

PDwasmy1st

iolite Portable Handheld Vaporizer

$149.99
Sale: $104.99
Almost worth a punt at that price (at vapenow today only)

PDwasmy1st,
Reactions: Vitolo

OF

iolite Portable Handheld Vaporizer

$149.99
Sale: $104.99
Almost worth a punt at that price (at vapenow today only)

Great device, great price..... Sounds like a good time to take the plunge if you haven't yet (or get a backup if you already have?).

OF

OF,
Reactions: Vitolo

PDwasmy1st

Great device, great price..... Sounds like a good time to take the plunge if you haven't yet (or get a backup if you already have?).

OF

Yeh but are these the 1st lot of iolites? not version 2 , ie even less durable...

PDwasmy1st,

OF

Yeh but are these the 1st lot of iolites? not version 2 , ie even less durable...

Extremely unlikely, the first models were long ago. And even so, what does it really matter? It's a new product under warranty. If they are antiques, and fail, they'll be replaced by more modern units.

IMO a great deal.

OF

OF,

PDwasmy1st

Extremely unlikely, the first models were long ago. And even so, what does it really matter? It's a new product under warranty. If they are antiques, and fail, they'll be replaced by more modern units.

IMO a great deal.

OF

Postage! (returning etc) cos im in the UK

PDwasmy1st,

OF

Postage! (returning etc) cos im in the UK

Better still. Provided you still have an open border with them, you can drive it to the factory on a long weekend..... In the unlikely event it needs service, seems like having the factory close to hand is a plus. Us poor Yanks had to send them 'over there' at first you know. Perhaps I have a naive attitude about such things, but I'm happy to buy products with good quality/lifespan reputations and at least acceptable service availability and trust to being in the overwhelming majority of owners who have no real problems to worry about.

Once you get past the 'money first' e-cig vapes and get into seriously made stuff following modern practices we get to a whole host of solid units for most owners. There are some turkeys, I think we owe it to each other to warn of them, but Iolite is not one of them IMO. A solid performer for most owners, given good fuel I suspect that small fraction of problems would get even smaller.

Hard to pass up at that price. Then again, a while ago I gave away my backup backup Iolite (own 2 still) as I realized I was being way past paranoid as the first was still going strong. I was never going to use the third and it could be out there being loved, spreading joy and happiness.......

OF

OF,
Reactions: max

PDwasmy1st

Better still. Provided you still have an open border with them, you can drive it to the factory on a long weekend..... In the unlikely event it needs service, seems like having the factory close to hand is a plus. Us poor Yanks had to send them 'over there' at first you know. Perhaps I have a naive attitude about such things, but I'm happy to buy products with good quality/lifespan reputations and at least acceptable service availability and trust to being in the overwhelming majority of owners who have no real problems to worry about.

Once you get past the 'money first' e-cig vapes and get into seriously made stuff following modern practices we get to a whole host of solid units for most owners. There are some turkeys, I think we owe it to each other to warn of them, but Iolite is not one of them IMO. A solid performer for most owners, given good fuel I suspect that small fraction of problems would get even smaller.

Hard to pass up at that price. Then again, a while ago I gave away my backup backup Iolite (own 2 still) as I realized I was being way past paranoid as the first was still going strong. I was never going to use the third and it could be out there being loved, spreading joy and happiness.......

OF

Bullhang again from vapenow saying free postage , this is what they want
$57.15
Express Mail International (3 - 5 business days)
$48.70
Priority Mail International (6 - 10 business days)

ahahahahah jokers!! looks like usa only have all the best deals, gonna give up looking now fed up with all the lies

even amazon uk want £20 postage what the hells going on, i think they only want american vapeing!

PDwasmy1st,

elevation

I just took heed to OF's advice when he said that you really owe it to yourself to put some hash in the bowl.
I like it so far, im about 10 minutes and in the hash really overpowers the weed.
More potent than just weed i can tell already lol.

The IO is a vape i use every once in a while, but everytime i use it i find myself pretty impressed by it.

Top Bottom