Discontinued Indica Vaporizer

HSIHP

I may have missed this but how's the batterie life? The big battery is really the only the reason I keep my pax but if this is as good I think a switch will be in order.

HSIHP,

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
In my testing, I'm getting about 6 10-minutes sessions (mostly on purple - 2nd highest setting) which means about 1 hour of battery usage per charge.

:peace:

That seems pretty good to me. I haven't done any battery life testing at all. My habit is to charge if it flashes green (20-60%) so I've only seen it flashing red once.

I'd like to point out to people that we are still using beta units. To extend battery life, production units will have a standby mode which will drop the heat below normal vapourizing temperatures if it stands idle for more than 3 minutes, similar to the Pax. The beta units time out and shut down after 10 minutes, but this might be longer in production.

CentiZen

Evil Genius in Training
Accessory Maker
Hey everyone! Like sticks and paka, I've had the pleasure of watching the Indica vaporizer grow into a very compelling product over the past few months. I wanted to add my voice to the conversation, and let you know what I think about the Indica. Hopefully I can help clear up some of the more confusing things about this vaporizer.

Those of you who know me will know that I am particularly cynical when it comes to new vaporizers. I am especially defensive when it comes to slick, well marketed products that make big claims; as there are many companies out there willing to take advantage of our community. Put plainly, I just don't trust people anymore, I need to see proof before I'll take anything seriously.

To stack the deck even further against the Indica, I don't like conduction vapor. I prefer vaporizers that employ at least some convection heating, and the more the better. Conduction vapor always made me tired, and I've always thought they were just slower and less efficient.

So from the very start, I had it out for the Indica. I felt that the Indica was going to be a shiny, pretty disappointment that made impressive claims it could not possibly meet. Earlier posts from myself in this thread show that I was unimpressed, had serious concerns about the design and did not believe marketing material was valid. I was very negative.

I am happy to say that my opinion of the Indica has been thoroughly changed.

Through interacting with @Indica Vaporizer, I have come to realize that there is a talented team of people behind this vaporizer, with a passionate and driven leader who genuinely cares about creating a quality product. As others have said, it is so rare for a company to actually go through a beta phase these days. But Indica has gone through multiple iterations of their product, taking every recommendation seriously and all criticism to heart. Major changes have been made to this product based primarily off of the feedback of the beta team.

Now, on to the vaporizer itself. This is one of the prettiest portables on the market right now, bar none. The enclosure of the Indica is made from two solid pieces of stainless steel, with perfectly filleted edges that make it fit comfortably in the hand. The thick steel feels makes the Indica feel quite durable, and the all steel hinge is very solid. The Indica does a great job of emulating the snap latch of a Zippo lighter, and I found myself clicking the Indica open and closed many times just for the sheer fun of it. The amount of force requires to open and close it is just right, enough that it won't open up in your pocket or close by accident, but still loose enough you can flick it open or shut one handed.

It's fairly obvious that the Indica is much larger than a real Zippo. Here is a picture taken comparing the Indica to a standard sized Zippo lighter:

NOFgJ7N.png

However, I don't think that this is going to be as big of an issue as some seem to think it is. While the Indica is larger than a Zippo, it is still one of the smaller, more pocketable models of vaporizers available. I've shown the Indica to a wide range of people, from other vaporists to people totally against the herb, asking them what they thought it was. Very few people assumed this was a vaporizer or even anything other than a large lighter. Several thought this was a Zippo handwarmer, others thought it was a battery charger. While this is hardly empirical evidence, I honestly don't think that the size and resemblance to a Zippo is going to make it any more conspicuous than any of the other portables available.

Flipping open the lid exposes the units one button/indicator light and the mouthpiece. The mouthpiece comes off for easy cleaning, exposing the all steel vapor path for cleaning. I really like that the button is in an easily accessible place, instead of being under the mouthpiece as it is on the Pax. The indicator lights are subtle but easily visible, though it will take a little while for you to remember which color is which.

The oven was smaller than I had expected it to be. That's not to say it's small - it's not; but from the talk early on in the thread I was expecting a ridiculously large oven. To be honest, this is a good thing, because my main concern about the Indica's design was that the oven was going to be too large for the heat to be evenly distributed across the load. People were talking about load sizes of .4 grams; but in reality the Indica holds around 0.25g fully packed with a fine grind.

One of my major gripes with conduction based vapes is that they usually need to be packed full each time to get any kind of consistency. Vaporizers like the Pax or the Ascent do not do well with smaller loads, with users usually having to fashion some sort of crude spacer to fill the empty space if they want decent heat conduction. I was pleasantly surprised to find that Indica has already designed their own spacers, which fit perfectly into the oven. Three of them come with the Indica, and they really do make a difference on smaller loads. While other vaporizers experiences are reliant on how much you pack in them, the spacer makes it possible to have consistent performance with smaller loads; and I found my sweet spot to be around 0.1 - 0.15g while using the Indica.

On it's lower levels (1 - 2) the Indica tastes great but does not have much in the way of vapor output. However, on it's higher settings (3 - 5) the Indica can produce quite a bit of vapor. The vapor output rivals the Pax, and extraction is complete and even. At the highest setting, herb comes out a darkened brown, consistently heated all the way through. In my opinion, stirring is not necessary.

In my opinion the most important part of a portable unit is it's battery, and this was where I focused majority of my attention on during testing and development. I have been working with a lot of batteries over the past few months, from many different manufacturers; and almost invariably the manufacturer is embellishing on their capacity claims - the question is how much. Even reliable brands like AW and Panasonic do it; they'll overstate their cells capacity by around 20% while less reputable ones will go way higher. Indica is embelleshing by 0%. They are giving you the straight goods when it comes to the battery capacity, the expected lifespan, everything, and I want to make a point of how exceptional that is.

The battery technology in the Indica is cutting edge. @Indica Vaporizer has said in the past that the Indica has a 900mAh battery; and while this is technically true it is important to note that there are actually two of these in the unit. The Indica limits the batteries to a voltage range of 4.1 - 3.3v instead of the usual 4.2 - 3.2 range, which will greatly extend their lifespan over time, at a cost of only a little bit of lost runtime per charge. You can also run the Indica while it is charging; though I recommend doing this only when necessary.

Because I know that there are some people out there like me, who won't believe the Indica is capable an hour of runtime, I decided to run a test where I plotted the voltage drop of the battery pack while I ran the Indica from totally charged to drop dead empty.

ZuQ55dP.png

The graphs shows the nine full cycles I was able to get (all at level 3), plus the tenth one which is cut off by the protection circuit early to prevent it running too low. The spikes are from the Indica shutting off. Over all, this is 81 minutes of useful runtime, and I would expect constant use of level 5 would run in at around 60 minutes total.

The Indica has certainly found it's place in my lineup of vaporizers. I think that this vaporizer would be a good fit for anyone, but it will really excel for certain types of vaporists. It's more versatile, rugged and reliable than the Pax, and that has made it my ideal vaporizer for outdoor activities. It quickly became my go to vaporizer for snowboarding, where it could be easily operated with gloves on and fit safely and comfortably in a pocket. I think it is one of the best options on the market for someone who is on the go and needs something they can keep in a pocket and use with minimal hassle. The team at Indica has proven to me that they genuinely care about their customers and product, and they have made a vaporizer that is a serious contender among pocketable vaporizers.

OMEiAM

Hey everyone! Like sticks and paka, I've had the pleasure of watching the Indica vaporizer grow into a very compelling product over the past few months. I wanted to add my voice to the conversation, and let you know what I think about the Indica. Hopefully I can help clear up some of the more confusing things about this vaporizer.

Those of you who know me will know that I am particularly cynical when it comes to new vaporizers. I am especially defensive when it comes to slick, well marketed products that make big claims; as there are many companies out there willing to take advantage of our community. Put plainly, I just don't trust people anymore, I need to see proof before I'll take anything seriously.

To stack the deck even further against the Indica, I don't like conduction vapor. I prefer vaporizers that employ at least some convection heating, and the more the better. Conduction vapor always made me tired, and I've always thought they were just slower and less efficient.

So from the very start, I had it out for the Indica. I felt that the Indica was going to be a shiny, pretty disappointment that made impressive claims it could not possibly meet. Earlier posts from myself in this thread show that I was unimpressed, had serious concerns about the design and did not believe marketing material was valid. I was very negative.

I am happy to say that my opinion of the Indica has been thoroughly changed.

Through interacting with @Indica Vaporizer, I have come to realize that there is a talented team of people behind this vaporizer, with a passionate and driven leader who genuinely cares about creating a quality product. As others have said, it is so rare for a company to actually go through a beta phase these days. But Indica has gone through multiple iterations of their product, taking every recommendation seriously and all criticism to heart. Major changes have been made to this product based primarily off of the feedback of the beta team.

Now, on to the vaporizer itself. This is one of the prettiest portables on the market right now, bar none. The enclosure of the Indica is made from two solid pieces of stainless steel, with perfectly filleted edges that make it fit comfortably in the hand. The thick steel feels makes the Indica feel quite durable, and the all steel hinge is very solid. The Indica does a great job of emulating the snap latch of a Zippo lighter, and I found myself clicking the Indica open and closed many times just for the sheer fun of it. The amount of force requires to open and close it is just right, enough that it won't open up in your pocket or close by accident, but still loose enough you can flick it open or shut one handed.

It's fairly obvious that the Indica is much larger than a real Zippo. Here is a picture taken comparing the Indica to a standard sized Zippo lighter:

NOFgJ7N.png

However, I don't think that this is going to be as big of an issue as some seem to think it is. While the Indica is larger than a Zippo, it is still one of the smaller, more pocketable models of vaporizers available. I've shown the Indica to a wide range of people, from other vaporists to people totally against the herb, asking them what they thought it was. Very few people assumed this was a vaporizer or even anything other than a large lighter. Several thought this was a Zippo handwarmer, others thought it was a battery charger. While this is hardly empirical evidence, I honestly don't think that the size and resemblance to a Zippo is going to make it any more conspicuous than any of the other portables available.

Flipping open the lid exposes the units one button/indicator light and the mouthpiece. The mouthpiece comes off for easy cleaning, exposing the all steel vapor path for cleaning. I really like that the button is in an easily accessible place, instead of being under the mouthpiece as it is on the Pax. The indicator lights are subtle but easily visible, though it will take a little while for you to remember which color is which.

The oven was smaller than I had expected it to be. That's not to say it's small - it's not; but from the talk early on in the thread I was expecting a ridiculously large oven. To be honest, this is a good thing, because my main concern about the Indica's design was that the oven was going to be too large for the heat to be evenly distributed across the load. People were talking about load sizes of .4 grams; but in reality the Indica holds around 0.25g fully packed with a fine grind.

One of my major gripes with conduction based vapes is that they usually need to be packed full each time to get any kind of consistency. Vaporizers like the Pax or the Ascent do not do well with smaller loads, with users usually having to fashion some sort of crude spacer to fill the empty space if they want decent heat conduction. I was pleasantly surprised to find that Indica has already designed their own spacers, which fit perfectly into the oven. Three of them come with the Indica, and they really do make a difference on smaller loads. While other vaporizers experiences are reliant on how much you pack in them, the spacer makes it possible to have consistent performance with smaller loads; and I found my sweet spot to be around 0.1 - 0.15g while using the Indica.

On it's lower levels (1 - 2) the Indica tastes great but does not have much in the way of vapor output. However, on it's higher settings (3 - 5) the Indica can produce quite a bit of vapor. The vapor output rivals the Pax, and extraction is complete and even. At the highest setting, herb comes out a darkened brown, consistently heated all the way through. In my opinion, stirring is not necessary.

In my opinion the most important part of a portable unit is it's battery, and this was where I focused majority of my attention on during testing and development. I have been working with a lot of batteries over the past few months, from many different manufacturers; and almost invariably the manufacturer is embellishing on their capacity claims - the question is how much. Even reliable brands like AW and Panasonic do it; they'll overstate their cells capacity by around 20% while less reputable ones will go way higher. Indica is embelleshing by 0%. They are giving you the straight goods when it comes to the battery capacity, the expected lifespan, everything, and I want to make a point of how exceptional that is.

The battery technology in the Indica is cutting edge. @Indica Vaporizer has said in the past that the Indica has a 900mAh battery; and while this is technically true it is important to note that there are actually two of these in the unit. The Indica limits the batteries to a voltage range of 4.1 - 3.3v instead of the usual 4.2 - 3.2 range, which will greatly extend their lifespan over time, at a cost of only a little bit of lost runtime per charge. You can also run the Indica while it is charging; though I recommend doing this only when necessary.

Because I know that there are some people out there like me, who won't believe the Indica is capable an hour of runtime, I decided to run a test where I plotted the voltage drop of the battery pack while I ran the Indica from totally charged to drop dead empty.

ZuQ55dP.png

The graphs shows the nine full cycles I was able to get (all at level 3), plus the tenth one which is cut off by the protection circuit early to prevent it running too low. The spikes are from the Indica shutting off. Over all, this is 81 minutes of useful runtime, and I would expect constant use of level 5 would run in at around 60 minutes total.

The Indica has certainly found it's place in my lineup of vaporizers. I think that this vaporizer would be a good fit for anyone, but it will really excel for certain types of vaporists. It's more versatile, rugged and reliable than the Pax, and that has made it my ideal vaporizer for outdoor activities. It quickly became my go to vaporizer for snowboarding, where it could be easily operated with gloves on and fit safely and comfortably in a pocket. I think it is one of the best options on the market for someone who is on the go and needs something they can keep in a pocket and use with minimal hassle. The team at Indica has proven to me that they genuinely care about their customers and product, and they have made a vaporizer that is a serious contender among pocketable vaporizers.

That review sold me. Great review!

mmenzie

My friends call me "Menz"
do you think the Indica can be packed full used for a few pulls, shut off and then turned on later for a few pulls and repeat till it is spent?? like a "one hitter"??

mmenzie,

llamaman001

Im a heavy pax user (love it), Ive used the pnp (too harsh), mflb (loved it), and solo (loved it). Would you recommend this product to me? Also how is the smell factor for you guys, anything like the pax?

Judging by all the reviews so far and the people Ive spoken with this seems like everything I wanted out of my pax and then some. I really dig its all one button and the temp control is not on the inside of the unit. I am a big time portable user and love using my units on the go and this one looks a little tougher than the pax as well....Im getting very interested.

llamaman001,

Vitolo

Vaporist
My Indica Vaporizer is charging as I type.
Delivered seconds ago, I have plugged it in for it's initial lengthy charge.
Great packaging, that's for darned sure. I will decide if I am going to go screened or screenless (still must see how the screens are inserted)

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
My Indica Vaporizer is charging as I type.
Delivered seconds ago, I have plugged it in for it's initial lengthy charge.
Great packaging, that's for darned sure. I will decide if I am going to go screened or screenless (still must see how the screens are inserted)

Mine arrived charged, so it might not be that lengthy. I agree with sticks: don't use the screen. I think those aren't the screens that will be delivered with the production model, and they really don't fit well.

As far as I can see, using a screen of any kind will affect the spacer. When I experimented with the screen, the spacer was a tight fit and I needed the vape pick to remove the spacer. Usually I can just dump the spacer out. Also, the second time I tried inserting a spacer with the screen in place, it was a mess. The spacer pushed the screen down instead of sliding into the chamber. I used a pretty fine grind and didn't have any problems with inhaling grit, so I think sans spacer is the way to go.

Vitolo

Vaporist
I used 2 spacers (back to back)... to shape the screen around, and the screen formed exactly to the shape of the spacers.
DSC03006.jpg

I then spread the two legs a tiny bit to give some tension to hold this screen in place.
DSC03004.jpg

The screen slid in place nicely, and remained in place, firmly seated.
I can remove it with a tweezer or hemostat... and the spacer can fit right in while screen is in place.. all the way to the empty chamber's bottom.

My unit did not come fully charged.
Upon startup there was no white light, but rather blueish deep tone that indicates less of a charge.
@Stu ... loved the video comparison!
talk in a while guys!

EDIT--->
Yo..Pak.. I am not ignoring your advice on going screenless.... fact is I am considering some spacerless loads also.. but I had to master the intended tools for the unit and figure optimal ways for them to be inserted/used!

Last edited:

mmenzie

My friends call me "Menz"
wow... alot of you have units..... i know this is a dunb question but.... are you all beta testers or has this gone on sale?

mmenzie,

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
I used 2 spacers (back to back)... to shape the screen around, and the screen formed exactly to the shape of the spacers.
DSC03006.jpg

I then spread the two legs a tiny bit to give some tension to hold this screen in place.
DSC03004.jpg

The screen slid in place nicely, and remained in place, firmly seated.
I can remove it with a tweezer or hemostat... and the spacer can fit right in while screen is in place.. all the way to the empty chamber's bottom.

My unit did not come fully charged.
Upon startup there was no white light, but rather blueish deep tone that indicates less of a charge.
@Stu ... loved the video comparison!
talk in a while guys!

EDIT--->
Yo..Pak.. I am not ignoring your advice on going screenless.... fact is I am considering some spacerless loads also.. but I had to master the intended tools for the unit and figure optimal ways for them to be inserted/used!

I don't feel ignored. You're right to explore for yourself. You shaped the screen pretty much the same way I did. There was no problem getting it in place, but the spacer was snug going in. Then I needed the vape pick to get the spacer out, and it tended to pull the screen up with it. Finally, as I said, the second time I tried inserting the spacer with the screen in it pushed the screen down. Since I was already happy without a screen, I just left it out.

llamaman001

Ill just be happy without the screen. Im not sure about yall but every once in a while when I pack my PAX oven the screen would press down, bend, and shoot the entire oven all over the place. Sometimes it would even flip up and my product would fall in the airpath tube....so annoying.

How do yall feel about loading and unloading on the go? Is pretty simple and easy?

llamaman001,
Top Bottom