Discontinued Indica Vaporizer

Slightly Medicated

(SliM) Iron Lungs
I tried to see how much I could pack in while using the spacer. I managed to get .2 grams tightly packed in with the spacer in place. I got pretty good results with the session... I guess the spacer is not bad... :tup: I am still working on getting the right breathing pattern down. Like the pax if you let it go to long between breaths it can be a bit "stale" tasting, but much better tasting overall.

Vitolo

Vaporist
And I am now trying it with no screen in place.
I did ten sessions with screen, and I loved it.
I cleaned up.. it was dead easy, and screen was still in great shape.

The spacer was not as snug going in without the screen...
(I kind of liked the snugness, as I was sealing off my load)..

I am on my 3rd session screenless.
Taste is good, perhaps more pronounced flavor earlier on in sessions
could this be because more oven surfaces are "conducting" the loaf of meds.. without the screen grid interfering somewhat?
.... screens get hot too, but they do allow lift in the threads, that could be considered micro-cooled pockets.
The sessions are moving along well...
In the end cleanup may be an small factor..
I may have to clean unit after 5-6 loads using it with no screen, as opposed to that easy cleanup after ten sessions with screen.
I know I can empty the load with less concern without screen.
(meaning I can blindly dig in and scrape all 4 walls of oven with impunity using a sharp tool.)
That was not really an issue.
Obviously both ways work great, I am now just deciding which way I will prefer for the long haul.
And it will be a long haul.
Indica is now in the lineup for Post Office Duty!
That is likely the nicest thing I could say for a portable vape.

I can make one screen/no screen comment.
I think the sessions may last a bit longer using the screen.
Regardless, for my personal use, cleanup will be a real factor.
Talk in a bit....

llamaman001

No doubt about it this is a day 1 buy for me. I really cant wait after hearing all the positive reviews. Id really like to see a video review but thats just wishful thinking.

Vitolo

Vaporist
Today I went screenless, and stayed gone for a long while.
I brought a vial of meds with, and made my trek with only this unit.
Screenless:
  1. It gets hotter a tiny bit faster.
  2. Flavor comes forth a tiny bit stronger at first.
  3. I am not sure why, but it is harsher without the screen it seems.
  4. It is decidedly easier to dump and reload on the go screenless.. so on the road , screenless is a plus (unless you are just going to fill it up for a short trip and go home, as I do for the Post Office generally)
  5. I also found that on the same setting, the load gets done a few hits faster without the screen.
  6. There is a tiny bit more smell at the back door without the screen. (I credit this to the way the spacer seals tighter with screen in)
Cleaning was a bit harder after screenless use... a bit more goo on the pipe cleaner.
I like the ultra thin pipe cleaners that Indica sends with the box, so I dip them in Iso when done... rub them on paper towel, then use dishsoap/water.... rinse and blot dry to re-use... since they seem synthetic, and are the right size (tight squeeze) for the mouthpiece.

I will most likely use the screen most of the time, but will go screenless when I am going to be out for multiple sessions.... that is unless I am "flavor grabbing" that day. This is not a commitment, I may go screenless plenty.. but for now , after a full screenless day it is back in.

A small key (gas cap key) serves to hook and fish out the spacer, and seems to hang onto it more securely than a hook does. It releases easy also. (you put it in the spacer's butt end at a diagnal, and when you turn the key slightly, the key's "niches" hook in and hold on well.
Having lots of fun!

Last edited:

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
Today I went screenless, and stayed gone for a long while.
I brought a vial of meds with, and made my trek with only this unit.
Screenless:
  1. It gets hotter a tiny bit faster.
  2. Flavor comes forth a tiny bit stronger at first.
  3. I am not sure why, but it is harsher without the screen it seems.
  4. It is decidedly easier to dump and reload on the go screenless.. so on the road , screenless is a plus (unless you are just going to fill it up for a short trip and go home, as I do for the Post Office generally)
  5. I also found that on the same setting, the load gets done a few hits faster without the screen.
  6. There is a tiny bit more smell at the back door without the screen. (I credit this to the way the spacer seals tighter with screen in)
Cleaning was a bit harder after screenless use... a bit more goo on the pipe cleaner.
I like the ultra thin pipe cleaners that Indica sends with the box, so I dip them in Iso when done... rub them on paper towel, then use dishsoap/water.... rinse and blot dry to re-use... since they seem synthetic, and are the right size (tight squeeze) for the mouthpiece.

I will most likely use the screen most of the time, but will go screenless when I am going to be out for multiple sessions.... that is unless I am "flavor grabbing" that day. This is not a commitment, I may go screenless plenty.. but for now , after a full screenless day it is back in.

A small key (gas cap key) serves to hook and fish out the spacer, and seems to hang onto it more securely than a hook does. It releases easy also. (you put it in the spacer's but at a diagnal, and when you turn the key slightly, the keys "bites" hook in and hold on well.
Having lots of fun!

I haven't used mine enough for cleaning to be a concern, so I'm interested in your experience. The first models had a smaller diameter draw tube and needed the thin pipe cleaners, but I found that I can use regular pipe cleaners with this version, it's just a tight fit. My concern wasn't with that tube, it was about the oven chamber. I think that an ISO-soaked Q-tip and a heated chamber will work nicely, but mine hasn't gotten dirty enough yet.

pakalolo,
Reactions: Vitolo

Vitolo

Vaporist
I haven't used mine enough for cleaning to be a concern, so I'm interested in your experience. The first models had a smaller diameter draw tube and needed the thin pipe cleaners, but I found that I can use regular pipe cleaners with this version, it's just a tight fit. My concern wasn't with that tube, it was about the oven chamber. I think that an ISO-soaked Q-tip and a heated chamber will work nicely, but mine hasn't gotten dirty enough yet.
Yes.. a regular pipe cleaner works.. but not in the mouthpiece!
Easier to have one pipe cleaner in hand, so I used the thin one for both... since it was washable.
A Dill's pipe cleaner fits the center post nicely, as you point out.
The oven seems much more resistant to buildup than the Pax oven. It brushes clean, and does not appear to get the same type of stain retention as Pax oven either.
Same has been my experience with the spacer!
the oven door on Pax gets sticky and crumbs adhere...
Indica's Spacer gomes clean with a dusting off.
I used a Vapir round brush (same shape/size as the metal one from Indica... only nylon)
It cleaned the thing spotless except for two stubborn dark "flecks"
The steel brush did the trick on a half turn.
This oven toasts the meds that contact it dry.
Cleanup here was nowhere near what I go through on the Pax oven.
There I use 0000 steel wool wound around a medical q-tip.. dipped in Iso...
and I polish off the gold deposits.
Indica's oven after 2 dozen sessions has no visible deposit.
I am watching for it, however!

Last edited:

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
Yes.. a regular pie cleaner works.. but not in the mouthpiece!

Wow, I forgot completely about the mouthpiece! Yes, it has a really small diameter. I'd never cleaned mine because I'd never even thought about doing it. I just pushed one of the small pipe cleaners through it and it came out as clean as it was before. I've not had any build-up in it at all, so that's good.

Vitolo

Vaporist
I just did an Indica session using a water pipe.
Not my norm, I just was double checking the fit of the mouthpiece into the tubing.
I will try to catch some footage of it shortly.

Semi-fine grind seemed to work best for me.
stickstones is right on about grind
screenless, I put in a pinch of medium grind, and top it off with
the finer ground meds.

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
So whats the word? Tight pack/light pack? Fine grind/medium grind? Any pointers and tips for those of us ordering day 1?

All of my loads have been .07g of a medium grind, tightly packed by the spacer. To be honest, I haven't tried a looser pack because what I know about this kind of oven tells me that a tight pack will work best. I supposed I should try a looser pack for the sake of science.

Edit: I just tried a loose pack, and suspected I was getting thinner vapour. I opened the oven and packed down the spacer to what I guesstimated was about half the original volume. Sure enough, thicker vapour.

Last edited:

Vitolo

Vaporist
pak... when you say you are located on the "other side of my screen"....
Is that the screen that is installed in the Indica already.. or are you located on the other side of the spare screen in the box?

The forum "standard" of avoiding back to back posts is respected here so here goes a huge EDIT
************************************************************************************************************
VTV Presents

A Morning Session, vaporizing Medical Marijuana utilizing the Indica Vaporizer.
The session is accompanied by an interesting musical interlude.
The Session features a guest appearance by my Water tool.
I was "done" before the session was over!

Last edited:

llamaman001

Wow Vito very impressive! Are you ruining it on the highest setting there? Do you know what size tubing that is your using?

llamaman001,

Vitolo

Vaporist
SSV tubing..(3/8 inch inner diameter)
If you look at the top of unit, and the reflection of the light off my lip... you can see my setting
I started session off camera at "green" (medium). As I began the video, I moved up to "purple" (see from :28 to :34) and then I inched to "red" to entertain the cloud junkies!

Belgianvapor

Pakalolo, when you say your abv is nearly black, does this mean you vape on red (or finish your session on red) or do you vape on a lower temp and get dark abv?

Belgianvapor,
Reactions: Vitolo

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
I happened to take a picture of the ABV from the vapor comparison video I did. I forgot about it for some reason until now. I wonder why? :shrug:

nw92gPM.jpg

:peace:

Vitolo

Vaporist
The ABV I get is dark on purple and at midway (green) it is still fairly dark.
very consistent extraction for sure.
I am happy with this unit, and those I have shown it to are impressed.
I stopped vaping at green when the vapor was light, and bumped up to purple, and got minutes more of thicker vapor, and was still able to do so at "red".

Belgianvapor

so, this dark abv, even on lower settings than red, does this mean the indica extracts like a beast or does it mean it heats hotter than the light tells you?
I get darker abv from my pax on red than my ascent on 221°C (highest temp setting)
Since I stopped using screens in the pax (now i use rolled up screens that fit exactly in the vapor tube) I get even darker abv, wich makes me think that it might get hotter at the bottom with no screen.
is this maybe the same with the indica?

Belgianvapor,

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
so, this dark abv, even on lower settings than red, does this mean the indica extracts like a beast or does it mean it heats hotter than the light tells you?

These two things are not mutually exclusive.

The Indica on red should be 211°C plus or minus 2.5-3°, but I have no way to measure it accurately. I can say that the ABV isn't black, it does not taste charred, and the extraction is thorough.

pakalolo,
Top Bottom