OF

The new S2 spacer.. Do you have to put a specific side of it facing down? (Like the Gen 1 S2 Spacer)

I believe you're correct and assume the same as you based on what I see, the difference being I'd not have bothered to ask......you know, blindly forging ahead. I'm a California guy, we don't GPS or ask directions. Ask our women.

Hopefully some who knows can confirm it for both of us?

OF

Vitolo

Vaporist
You will notice that one side of the spacer has its spokes slightly slanted inward.
That is the side that goes downward toward the heat..... so that less heat is touching the spacer.

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
You will notice that one side of the spacer has its spokes slightly slanted inward.
That is the side that goes downward toward the heat..... so that less heat is touching the spacer.

I agree with the logic, but do you think the difference in area is significant?

Regardless of the side facing down (and I have no idea which way it is in mine right now) there is a lot more spacer contact with the heater than there used to be. I haven't had to change my techniques though, at least as far as I've noticed. I might be subconsciously adjusting because most of the time I judge by the heat and taste of the vapour. Has anyone noticed much difference?

Edit: I just looked at mine, which turned out to be in the Vitolo orientation. There is a fair difference in terms of direct contact. The slant is so subtle that it's no wonder I never noticed it when I got it. It's been in and out a few times so there's a good chance I've used it both ways. Again, I haven't noticed any need to change my technique—that I'm aware of.

OF

Good point, although that slat has to happen anyway. "Draft" being necessary to the molding process (so it can get out of the mold). The same taper is on the outside where heat is not such an issue.

Absent any official confirmation it make my sense than flipping a coin, I'm going with your idea.

Thanks.

OF

OF,

Kuroth1

Get your Freak on....
Thanks.. I will check mine.. I combusted last night for the first time ever using my FV and it just happen to be the first time trying the new spacer.. I was really surprised how quickly it happened...

Kuroth1,

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
I communicated with FV about this slant.
It was done intentionally to reduce contact with the heat source.

I should have figured this out since earlier he told me that was the reason the first spacer had raised thin spokes. I even might have, but I didn't notice the slant before now. :doh:

pakalolo,
Reactions: FlashVAPE

OF

I communicated with FV about this slant.
It was done intentionally to reduce contact with the heat source.

Cool. If it's intentional, funny it's not more pronounced. I'm thinking some mention of the importance (didn't that happen before?) would be useful?

It seems to me the advantage presently is nearly trivial?

Thanks, Vito.

OF

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
Cool. If it's intentional, funny it's not more pronounced. I'm thinking some mention of the importance (didn't that happen before?) would be useful?

Thanks, Vito.

OF

Why should it be more pronounced? All you need to do is separate the two surfaces, you don't need to exaggerate the separation. I agree that the advantage is probably trivial but it does exist.

Your use of "presently" implies that a steeper slope would somehow increase the benefits, but I can't see how. Apologies if that's not what you meant.

pakalolo,
Reactions: OF

stickstones

Vapor concierge
BTW I think you probably forgot that the ignition point for ABV drops as the load dries out. ;)

Actually, this hadn't occurred to me. I was so used to having to milk the older mflb batts harder when the load got old that my impression was it took more energy to vape the last hits. While this is probably true, fast forward to the FV and now we are dealing with a whole new spectrum of power and heat. So I definitely need to reverse my usage habits with this much power...thanks!

I also may have the spacer upside down...I never looked at it before putting it in. But I had been thinking that the bigger, thicker spacer might create more of a heat sink for the unit, thus making it easier to get real hot real quick near the end of a bowl.

stickstones,
Reactions: RUDE BOY

OF

Why should it be more pronounced? All you need to do is separate the two surfaces, you don't need to exaggerate the separation. I agree that the advantage is probably trivial but it does exist.

Your use of "presently" implies that a steeper slope would somehow increase the benefits, but I can't see how. Apologies if that's not what you meant.

I think you're right, we're talking about two different (but perhaps linked) places. I think you're talking about the tips of the spokes being raised? I'm talking about all the structure having a taper. You can see it on the outside of the unit.

Maybe I've overheated my tabbed screen too much but it's far from flat. It's going to touch no matter. It seems to me that if contact area was the issue, changing the draft on the mold to make the part more tapered so the surface wherever it touches is less? For that matter, putting some tabs on the rim to raise it up might also help?

Fine nits for sure, but fun to think about.

The one thing sure in my tiny mind is no apology should be involved at any level?

Thanks for the insight, I was thinking of a different area.....so to speak.

OF

OF,
Reactions: Vitolo

Kuroth1

Get your Freak on....
Yup mine was in wrong.. Flipped it around and will try it later tonight.. My whole FV stinks now after I combusted last night.. I cleaned the inside with ISO.. ugggggggggg I dont like to combust..

Kuroth1,

stickstones

Vapor concierge
I had mine in wrong and flipped it. I think it runs cooler now. took longer to get going and the first hit was ridiculously strong taste. I didn't feel like I was on the edge of combustion the whole time. I likey!

YeeeBuddy

"Better" is relative, because the 3.2V batteries are excellent for conduction mode. The 4 hour charging time is only for a completely flat battery. I switch out batteries with every bowl and I find that this reduces my charging time considerably. I'm eager to learn more about the new charger FlashVAPE mentioned earlier though, because fast (>500 mA) 18650 chargers are not easy to find. I have an UltraFire WF-188 that can do 650 mA (also does both 3.2V and 3.7V) and that was the best I could find without spending at least three times as much money.

I should have said more powerful, I was trying to say it took four hours to charge the new 3.7v S2 batteries with the tenergy charger, I just mentioned it because I remember some people saying it took alot longer with the provided charger. I believe this is the one I'm using, I change the battery after every bowl as well so it only takes 1-2 hours to recharge.

http://www.amazon.com/Tenergy-Li-ion-Battery-Charger-Supply/dp/B0072HV9C2/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1368217664&sr=8-3-fkmr0&keywords=tenergy Dual Bay 18650 Battery Charger

or this

http://www.amazon.com/Tenergy-2-Channel-Li-ion-Battery-Charger/dp/B004HGM4YI/ref=pd_sim_sbs_misc_3
I

YeeeBuddy,

FlashVAPE

...fast and efficient ! http://flashvape.com
Manufacturer

Thanks, Vito.

OF

Actually, the slanted side should be facing downwards. The slant creates a slight separation between the surface of the spacer and the heating element below, which stops heat transfer by conduction, however small the gap may be. The slant is not made more pronounced to keep the spokes strong to prevent breakage of the tips.

In regards to the S2 rapid charger PAK mentioned earlier, we are working on probably the most powerful 18650 dual cell charger you will find, at 1A*2 or 1.2A*1. It is going through testing right now, and will be made available shortly. Of course, we will announce it on FC first :)

We are making real process on our website, so hope to see it back up within 24 hours. Thanks everyone for your continued patience!

marduk

daydreamer
In regards to the S2 rapid charger PAK mentioned earlier, we are working on probably the most powerful 18650 dual cell charger you will find, at 1A*2 or 1.2A*1. It is going through testing right now, and will be made available shortly. Of course, we will announce it on FC first :)

Will this charger be only for S2 batteries or will it be switchable between 3.2 and 3.7 volts?

marduk,

FlashVAPE

...fast and efficient ! http://flashvape.com
Manufacturer
Will this charger be only for S2 batteries or will it be switchable between 3.2 and 3.7 volts?

This is for S2 3.7v (2250mah) batteries. This charger will bring the charging time down to around 2 hours, same as the 3.2v (1350mah) batteries.

FlashVAPE,
Reactions: marduk

PPN

Volute of Vapor
Hi, I have an issue with my FV(s2), it work cooler than the first week, I use a fresh cell each time and vapor production seem me really light and when the battery die abv is not brown, really clear, I think that I can't combust nevertime now! it's good but i haven't enough vapor.
Do you think that the issue come from battery or unit? the 2 first weeks when i learn to use it i combust 3 times because the unit ran hoter.
Now i need to count more than 8(2 times) when the unit is cold and there is no lot of vapor, after it work fine until 4 or 5 draws and at least the unit become really hot without vapor production and the cell is die (maxi=10 draws), exactly the same with my 3 others 3.7v cells.

I try to use my 3.7v cells without spacer, vapor production is really nice and i just need to count 4 before vapor but the taste is harsher than convection mode. I want to use my FV in convection but I want to get vapor, do you think that isuue comes from unit or cells (each cell work one time by day)?

Please give me a answer and good vape

PPN,

beefsupreme

While waiting for the new S2 spacer to arrive, I popped in my old no-spokes spacer last night and fired it up.. literally. I combusted within 5 seconds. I suspect the middle of the tabbed screen was concave and touching the heater. It was not the sight i wanted to see looking down through the window. I cleaned out the mess and brushed off everything and have reverted to S1 again for now. Is there any way to clean the top screen scorch marks?

This was my first burn in the FV. Whats the best technique for stopping the combustion asap? Stop drawing air? or will it pull air in via the holes?

beefsupreme,

TheHerbalReview

@TheHerbalReview
SOO, I apologize for my lengthy disappearance on FC... I've been caught up in finals; as it's my last week in school! Anyways, I've been playing with the new spacer & Mini-Bubbler Kit for about a week; One word: AWESOME. It's really sick being able to tilt your FV to see your vapor through the window. The new flexible straw attachment is a great addition as well.

:tup: Thumbs up FV, you guys are rapidly improving your product on the go, and that takes a lot of work on your part... but is much appreciated! My current FV setup feels completely different than when I first reviewed it awhile back.

Tweek

I agree, that new spacer is awesome! :nod:

Only downside, is that I am tempted to fill the bowl right up and puff all day...so tasty.

While waiting for the new S2 spacer to arrive, I popped in my old no-spokes spacer last night and fired it up.. literally. I combusted within 5 seconds. I suspect the middle of the tabbed screen was concave and touching the heater. It was not the sight i wanted to see looking down through the window. I cleaned out the mess and brushed off everything and have reverted to S1 again for now. Is there any way to clean the top screen scorch marks?

This was my first burn in the FV. Whats the best technique for stopping the combustion asap? Stop drawing air? or will it pull air in via the holes?

Just let go of the button and open the top to let the smoke out. As to cleaning, some ISO should do the trick.

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member

I've hit combustion a few times, mostly intentional tests but I've made a couple of mistakes too. The last time, I forgot I was using conduction and did a convection-style hit. (Don't do this at home, folks, I'm a trained expert!) Once it goes up you can't stop it by inhaling, the airflow will just make it worse. If you don't inhale, the bowl is so large that there is plenty of air to keep the cherry going. My response is to pull off the swivel cap and dump out the load.

The top screen is probably permanently marked. You still need to clean it as best you can because that's where most of the horrible burnt taste comes from. The last time I removed the screen, soaked it in ISO, and brushed both sides. That got rid of the taste but there's still a scorch mark on the screen. You don't really have to remove the top screen to clean it, however. Most of the time I unscrew the top of the swivel cap, soak the bottom part for a couple of minutes in ISO deep enough to cover the screen, then brush both sides without removing the screen. If you do it this way, be careful not to push the screen out of position enough to contact the ceramic when the cap is put back on. If the screen is rubbing against the ceramic, it will quickly wear away and start to tear.

Top Bottom