OF

On the topic of spacers, did yours' come with some hard deposits that flake off? Little spheres on the surface and in the pores? After looking at it, and noticing that some easily come off on your fingers, I decided I didn't really want to be inhaling them until I knew a bit more. It doesn't seem possible to get them all off (there's still some in the pores in the area I worked on).

Anyone notice this? Have any thoughts? One of these fine days I'll want to play with it......

TIA

OF

OF,

Fire Bad!

On the topic of spacers, did yours' come with some hard deposits that flake off? Little spheres on the surface and in the pores? After looking at it, and noticing that some easily come off on your fingers, I decided I didn't really want to be inhaling them until I knew a bit more. It doesn't seem possible to get them all off (there's still some in the pores in the area I worked on).

Anyone notice this? Have any thoughts? One of these fine days I'll want to play with it......

TIA

OF
Well I did not notice any deposits on my spacer and I just took it out again and looked at it and I do not
see or feel any deposits coming off it. Maybe my friends and I inhaled it all :ko: I hope that this is not something to be worried about? Anyway I did see that Slim made reference to the different material being porous and like a piece of volcano rock instead of ceramic. I think this maybe a question that FlashVAPE maybe able to shed some light on, hopefully :)

Fire Bad!,

OF

Well I did not notice any deposits on my spacer and I just took it out again and looked at it and I do not
see or feel any deposits coming off it. Maybe my friends and I inhaled it all :ko: I hope that this is not something to be worried about? Anyway I did see that Slim made reference to the different material being porous and like a piece of volcano rock instead of ceramic. I think this maybe a question that FlashVAPE maybe able to shed some light on, hopefully :)

Thanks. I don't think you can 'vape off' those deposits as the piece has been fired much hotter than we go. I did pick some up on my fingers handling it.....

If someone doesn't sort it out by the time I get around to playing with it, your suggestion is probalby the best call I think?

There's a local ceramics shop, I thought I might run it by and see what they might add? Interesting material......

Thanks again.

OF

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member

TIA

OF

I've examined mine under magnification. Mine certainly did not have enough surface dust to come off on my fingers. The surface is rough and yes, if I rub it I can flake off some fine ceramic dust—but only if I rub it. I tried to blast some off with a blast of compressed air. I placed it in clean container, closed it up, inserted the canned air snorkel, blasted, then examined for residue. I didn't find any. Hardly conclusive, but if you followed the cracking ceramic heater discussion recently, you will see that any number of people who work in environments heavy with ceramic dust have explained that at these levels, the dust is harmless. I for one do not have the least concern about this.

stickstones

Vapor concierge
What's y'all's best procedure for cleaning the upper screen? That's gonna be the spot that needs the most cleaning. I get particles up there all the time and the resin is starting to make it stick. Do you clean it with iso in place or take it out for a soak?

stickstones,
Reactions: Vicki

Tweek

Received my spacer the other day, and have not noticed anything flaking off. Just a nice, sturdy hunk of stone that doesn't look like it will be shattering anytime soon :D As to cleaning the top screen, I just soak it once in a rare blue moon and give it a light brush. It comes out as well.

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
What's y'all's best procedure for cleaning the upper screen? That's gonna be the spot that needs the most cleaning. I get particles up there all the time and the resin is starting to make it stick. Do you clean it with iso in place or take it out for a soak?

I brush it off after every bowl, then when the particulates start sticking my next step is to dip the brush in ISO. When that's no longer effective, I usually soak it in ISO, remove the top (the glass needs cleaning by then anyway) and brush from both sides. The problem with this is that ISO could eventually damage the O-ring, although I think that would take a really long time. You can also remove the screen and soak it. I've done this a couple of times as well, but I don't find it necessary. Usually I have no problem getting the screen back in, but last time for some reason it took about three times as long. The O-ring just wouldn't stay seated so I needed to cram an extra finger or two in there to hold it down.

FlashVAPE

...fast and efficient ! http://flashvape.com
Manufacturer
For the new S2 spacer, this material is more porous in order to be able to handle the heat stress from repeated rapid heating/cooling in the FVS2. The piece itself does not go through a cutting process after firing, unlike the last version. Thus, this format ceramic spacer retains a hardened shell exterior, which contributes to its overall strength.

If you are concerned with particles falling out initially, you can take a old toothbrush to it and give it a gentle scrubbing first with some water. Once you rinse, let it dry completely overnight before installing. Any loose material should be removed with a brushing.

I will also have our ceramics supplier give all new S2 spacers a professional scrubbing ex-factory in the future, to remove whatever particles may be loosely attached coming out of the kiln.

I don't think there is really nothing to worry about, as you have 2 ultra fine screens that filters the airpath, with your herbs in the middle as a further filter. I don't think any particles you can see falling out from the spacer can make it through the filtration process.

stickstones

Vapor concierge
I got the new spacer and went ahead and installed it. turns out one of my spokes on the old one was broken and I didn't even notice. I think the extra thickness of the spacer gives a tad more taste.

stickstones,
Reactions: Vicki

OF

I've examined mine under magnification. Mine certainly did not have enouygh surface dust to come off on my fingers. The surface is rough and yes, if I rub it I can flake off some fine ceramic dust—but only if I rub it.

This is not dust. They're some sort of deposit in spherical beads that seems to have come from inside as part of the curing process. They are fairly tightly bonded on, but definitely come off on finger tips. And can, as suggested below be scrubbed from much of the surface. Given that most of the surface is in pores this clearly can't be a complete fix. Notice that while I was able to scrub most off the flat, they're still on the internal edges of the 'spokes':

It's hard to see, but zoom in and you'll see it's not dust in the normal sense.

I'm in agreement, it's probably nothing to be concerned about, but we're talking health issues potentially, I'd feel much better knowing what it is and that that material in that form is OK. I don't think it's safe to lump these deposits in with dust from other materials caused by a different process.

If you are concerned with particles falling out initially, you can take a old toothbrush to it and give it a gentle scrubbing first with some water. Once you rinse, let it dry completely overnight before installing. Any loose material should be removed with a brushing.

I will also have our ceramics supplier give all new S2 spacers a professional scrubbing ex-factory in the future, to remove whatever particles may be loosely attached coming out of the kiln.

I don't think there is really nothing to worry about, as you have 2 ultra fine screens that filters the airpath, with your herbs in the middle as a further filter. I don't think any particles you can see falling out from the spacer can make it through the filtration process.

Thanks. It would be nice to know what it is. I assume it's a typo, not a slip of the tongue, when you say "I don't think there is really nothing to worry about" as that's my point? It says 'I think there is really (something) to worry about' when you decode it?

As I said, I don't think it's possible to scrub them all off (over half aren't on the flat surfaces I think), but a cosmetic scrubbing would be nice. I also agree most would be blocked (but not removed) by the screen, but I pay extra money to ensure the herb I put in the bowl is free of contamination, it'd be nice to know about this frangible stuff?

No panic, nothing to base it on, but concerns?

OF

OF,

FlashVAPE

Manufacturer
oops, double negative my bad!

I don't think there is anything to worry about. :)

FlashVAPE,
Reactions: OF

stickstones

Vapor concierge
I didn't even look at mine...just threw it in there. What I noticed was the nice tone it made as it struck the ceramic bowl. Like crystal or something.

Shmoo

I don't know about you guys, but I have friends ask me all the time about vapes haha. One friend of mine wanted a portable (not necessarily pocketable) vape with quality pulls in the $75-$250 range. After talking with him for a bit, I found that he was fine with a bit of a learning curve & technique, and that he preferred a "heat on-demand" vape. I recommended him the FlashVape with S-2 kit, and since it's well within his price range I think he'll get the whip kit as well.
Does anyone know the best place to buy the FV? I don't know if PV has all the latest parts, so I told him to order it straight from FV's site. (I know the site is down but yeah)

Shmoo,
Reactions: RUDE BOY

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
I don't know about you guys, but I have friends ask me all the time about vapes haha. One friend of mine wanted a portable (not necessarily pocketable) vape with quality pulls in the $75-$250 range. After talking with him for a bit, I found that he was fine with a bit of a learning curve & technique, and that he preferred a "heat on-demand" vape. I recommended him the FlashVape with S-2 kit, and since it's well within his price range I think he'll get the whip kit as well.
Does anyone know the best place to buy the FV? I don't know if PV has all the latest parts, so I told him to order it straight from FV's site. (I know the site is down but yeah)

PuffItUp carries the FV but if you want to be sure of getting the latest S2, use the online chat feature to find out whether they have them. If not, then send FlashVAPE an email: flashvape@gmail.com.

pakalolo,
Reactions: Shmoo

Kuroth1

Get your Freak on....
I got the new S2 spacer today and put it in.. Question.. On this new Gen 2 spacer both sides look flat so it does not matter which side you put on the bottom like the first one correct? The first gen spacer for sure had just one flat side and the other side was rounded..

Oh and I just got that 18mm tube connection thing Planet Vape sells(for the Inilalator or whatever that one is called) and it fits the glass tube of the FV PERFECT and the 18mm side fits my Mobius Ion Matrix bubbler PERFECT... OMG.. :clap:

Kuroth1,
Reactions: RUDE BOY

YeeeBuddy

Just got my s2 kit and just my luck I think they messed up and sent me the old one. It doesnt look like the one in OF's pic, the bars connect in the middle and it is super thin. Kinda bummed i was really excited to try it.

YeeeBuddy,

OF

Just got my s2 kit and just my luck I think they messed up and sent me the old one. It doesnt look like the one in OF's pic, the bars connect in the middle and it is super thin. Kinda bummed i was really excited to try it.

Yup, that's 'old school'. Work great, but not long.

OF

OF,
Reactions: Pipes

FlashVAPE

Manufacturer

..very sorry, we made an honest mistake and forgot to change out the spacer in the kit you received. A new one is going out to you first thing tomorrow morning. I am sure the original version will tie you over for a few days until the new one arrives, thank you for your patience!

...pls check PM. thanks!

Slightly Medicated

(SliM) Iron Lungs
Today I went to check the mail and there was a nice surprise inside:

I have not had a chance to use it yet. I did have a chance to try attaching the new adapter and it does seem to make a very good seal. I think I like this new method way more. Great to see so many improvements to an already great product. :tup: Looking forward to giving the new set up a test run tonight.

stickstones

Vapor concierge
yeeebuddy...the one you have will work fine in the interim, even if it breaks.

SliM...I can't wait for mine. I really want to look into the window and see what's going on.

I combusted twice today pretty easily. I was going for Vitolo's method where he lets it build up at first and then hoovers it in. It worked well for me at first but then I got too aggressive, I guess, cause I was combusting. The good news is it didn't taste like shit afterward like in my box because the cherry was contained within the load and didn't touch any sides.

stickstones,

YeeeBuddy

I brush it off after every bowl, then when the particulates start sticking my next step is to dip the brush in ISO. When that's no longer effective, I usually soak it in ISO, remove the top (the glass needs cleaning by then anyway) and brush from both sides. . .

Great tip I just tried this and it works really well if you want to clean the upper screen without removing it. I just dipped the brush in iso and wiped the screen a bunch then wiped it off with a paper towel, repeated this a few times and I got it looking almost like new.

I really like the S2, its amazing the difference a little spacer and better battery can make. I thought it hit good before now clouds are effortless, seems easier to evenly vape the herb as well. This thing gets me :freak:. It took about 4 hours to charge the new batts with the tenergy charger. I'm glad I now only need 1 charger for all my batteries.

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
I combusted twice today pretty easily. I was going for Vitolo's method where he lets it build up at first and then hoovers it in. It worked well for me at first but then I got too aggressive, I guess, cause I was combusting. The good news is it didn't taste like shit afterward like in my box because the cherry was contained within the load and didn't touch any sides.

WTF? It ate my response to this part, so let me try again.

Even if it touches the sides, the FV won't acquire a nasty taste. I combusted several times (almost all intentionally for testing) once I learned from the first time that cleaning up that burnt taste was simple. All you have to do is make sure you get the ash off the tabbed screen and the top screen. There'll probably be stains on the screen but the taste goes away. BTW I think you probably forgot that the ignition point for ABV drops as the load dries out. ;)

I really like the S2, its amazing the difference a little spacer and better battery can make. I thought it hit good before now clouds are effortless, seems easier to evenly vape the herb as well. This thing gets me :freak:. It took about 4 hours to charge the new batts with the tenergy charger. I'm glad I now only need 1 charger for all my batteries.

"Better" is relative, because the 3.2V batteries are excellent for conduction mode. The 4 hour charging time is only for a completely flat battery. I switch out batteries with every bowl and I find that this reduces my charging time considerably. I'm eager to learn more about the new charger FlashVAPE mentioned earlier though, because fast (>500 mA) 18650 chargers are not easy to find. I have an UltraFire WF-188 that can do 650 mA (also does both 3.2V and 3.7V) and that was the best I could find without spending at least three times as much money.

Kuroth1

Get your Freak on....
I think my question got lost up above..

The new S2 spacer.. Do you have to put a specific side of it facing down? (Like the Gen 1 S2 Spacer)

It looks to me both sides of the Gen 2 S2 Spacer are flat so I assumed it dont matter which side is facing down?

Thanks!

Kuroth1,
Top Bottom