• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Cloud-chaser: Derogatory term or innocent classification?

harmudge

Also off topic but WTF is that. Sorry, but is that an ECIG? Wow. Looks like a metal Louisville slugger lol

Lol..it sure is an e-cig.
High tech...variable voltage...digital display etc.
You should see some of the looks I get when out and about with it...lol...and it does the job, I have not smoked more than 3 or 4 cigarettes since receiving it.

harmudge,

Slightly Medicated

(SliM) Iron Lungs
I think people are upset because of the construction of the phrase. It comes from the Chaser portion of the word. Chaser seems to imply someone who is never satisfied. That could be seen as someone who is constantly trying to get as high as possible. When I think of someone being a chaser I think of someone trying to chase after a high... makes me think of a drug addict trying to shoot up more to get higher. That is why the term comes off as offensive. Perhaps if someone said something like Heavy Hitter... that imply the style of hit they are trying to achieve.

iamn3ko

Yes indeed ^^ well put.

I don't feel like I'm constantly trying to get more and more high all the time.

My "cloud chaser" term for myself would have to be more of a Heavy hitter like you said.

Considering that I like to take ONE maybe 2 big hits opposed to 10 small hits.

10 small hits seems more like chasing to me, opposed to one big satisfying hit.

No judging here. Just my preference.

If anything I'm chasing the Cera to give me good clouds then the chasing is over, once I get a device that gives good clouds there's no more chase, just good clouds. :D

harmudge

I gotta agree with above.
I have just categorised myself as a cloud chaser...lol.

I too prefer a few decent hits to a lot of smaller hits...I don't really think that the overall feeling of satisfaction is much different, but me personally I like to actually feel the sensation of the vapor entering my body as opposed to the so-so wispy airy feeling you get from smaller draws....that may also be in conjunction with me being an ex smoker.

harmudge,
Reactions: iamn3ko

Tweek

It bothered me...until I took a fat rip and blew an amazing cloud. :science:

Seriously though, heavier hits satisfy my medical needs better than light ones. I also enjoy the act of blowing out clouds...perhaps this comes from the days I used to enjoy cigars, I don't know. But people can call it whatever they want for all I care, I am happy with my needs and wants.

2clicker

Observer
In the way its been used in this forum, yes. Its been used to imply sophomoric understanding on most issues regarding conservation of medicine, and to marginalize us on just about every other topic: "Weeeelll if your one of those cloud chasers . . ." I understand Cera LL might have a higher power core coming out, fine. Personally after my first naked dive in with TET, I'm chillin' on the sidelines for this one. Looks good though.

Edit: And with VapeXhale, I'm not chasing the clouds, they are well under my control ;)

i was only asking out of curiosity. i dont think ive used the term myself, but if i have i apologize to any that find it offensive.

btw i personally chase clouds every now and then :rockon:

2clicker,
Reactions: iamn3ko

Roger D

Vapor Wizard
I have to watch dense vapors forming in my glass but I exhale as little as possible. I make sure that the actives are optimally absorbed. I need to see it. It is the guarantee of a long lasting and effective medication. I don't think I'm chasing anything, you can see on my "how much do you consume" topic, that I never chain bowls. I always wait at least 2 hours between them. I need 4 to 6 bowls a day, and I'm fine with my consumption, everything is under control. My condition improved significantly.

People need to realize cannabis is a serious remedy, it needs more respect and acceptation.

The problem is that it is stigmatized, as some kind of nasty habit. It can be pure and clean, you just got to work on it !

VaporEyes

Vaporization Aficionado
Accessory Maker
Not a cloud chaser but I'll gladly admit to being a vaporizer chaser :D. Each one comes with it's own little quirks and it's fun to learn how to properly use them.

SD_haze

I think people are upset because of the construction of the phrase. It comes from the Chaser portion of the word. Chaser seems to imply someone who is never satisfied. That could be seen as someone who is constantly trying to get as high as possible. When I think of someone being a chaser I think of someone trying to chase after a high... makes me think of a drug addict trying to shoot up more to get higher. That is why the term comes off as offensive. Perhaps if someone said something like Heavy Hitter... that imply the style of hit they are trying to achieve.
Spot on.

Nothing wrong with clouds but, to me, the chaser word always conjures up images of "chasing the dragon" from South Park season 11 :\
sp_1113_13_v6.jpg

1113_catch_the_dragon.jpg

t-dub

Vapor Sloth
I want to apologize to OF, TET, and FC for killing the Cera thread . . . not sure why I chose that moment to bring this up, it was inappropriate an I apologize.

Having said that I agree completely with what SliM said, every time I read that word "cloud chaser" I felt dirty and it built up over time. May not be rational, but its how I feel :)

mvapes

Scratchin' Glass!
Accessory Maker
I could understand why the term could be found offensive and I think we all need to show some respect to each other here and I love the fact that this forum allows us to freely voice our issues and concerns. With that being said, cloud chaser, stoner, pothead, hippie, or pretty much any other term I've been labeled with doesn't bother me. I could really give two shits about what others think - I love Mary Jane, for many reasons - NOT JUST MEDICATING! I know why I use, I know why I vape - I owe no explanation to anyone.

In fact - I'm about to get clouded right now, and you know why? Because I want to get stoned!

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
I want to apologize to OF, TET, and FC for killing the Cera thread . . . not sure why I chose that moment to bring this up, it was inappropriate an I apologize.

Having said that I agree completely with what SliM said, every time I read that word "cloud chaser" I felt dirty and it built up over time. May not be rational, but its how I feel :)

That was a nice and gracious thing to do, but it wasn't necessary. You didn't close the Cera thread, I did. It would have been closed any day now anyway, and you shouldn't feel guilty because I chose to close it at that pont. Instead, let me thank you for providing something I could use to start this thread, which has obviously attracted the interest of many of us. I, for one, had to stop and consider my use of the term, and perhaps I might change that as a result of this.

I think SliM put it right, maybe "heavy hitter" would be a better term if its being used or perceived as derogatory.
If you've been intentionally using it as a derogatory term(looking at you PAK), maybe your treading the line of the "be nice" rule.

Edit: just saw your post pak, :tup:

havealight101,
Reactions: Bob Loblaw

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
I apologize. Though your previous post made it sound like you have. My bad...

I can see how you'd reach that conclusion. You're right too, if used to demean someone then it does break our "be nice" rule. It's just that if I wanted to demean someone I'd probably use something a bit more acerbic than "You cloud-chaser!" Nevertheless I have my own prejudices—as do we all—and what I described is how I use the term in my thinking. I'm a bad person.:|

pakalolo,
Reactions: RUDE BOY

Frederick McGuire

Aggressively Loungey
I'm a bad person.:|
One of my theories in life:
It takes a good person to recognize if they're a bad person ;)
(It's kinda along the same vein as when you ask someone if they are good at something, the people who suck at it will puff up their chest and brag, but the people who truly know what they're doing are usually the most modest and say they still have lots to learn :lol:)

luchiano

I don't think it's derogatory because some people really do smoke just to exhale big clouds, as opposed to getting as high as they can off of the tools they use. To them smoking/vaping is more of a ritual then a technique to get the best effects off of herb. It's like a lot of cigarette smokers who are addicted to holding the cigarette, feeling the smoke tickle their throat, and seeing the smoke come out of their mouth as opposed to actually being addicted to nicotine. The love of the ritual is why a lot of people don't like vaporizing. They want to break down the bud, roll it in some papers, hold the joint, feel the hot air, cough, exhale the smoke, taste the smoke,etc., so inhaling smooth cool vapor, and exhaling very little "smoke" is not fun to them. A lot of it has to do with age, because a young person who just wants to get high won't care because they haven't build up a connection to the ritual in their brain, and the things that come with it, as someone who is older.

For me I like clouds inside the water chamber, but I don't want to exhale clouds. The bigger the cloud on the exhale the more depressed I get because I know less is going into me. Now my technique is to load a small bowl & inhale at a smooth consistent rate, for at least 40 seconds after the bong gets thick with visible vapor, until I see no vapor in the bong, and my lungs are full of fresh air. Then I repeat the process over until I am blazed. Doing this insures I get a strong effect off of a small amount of herb, and waste damn near no cannabis vapor.

Quetzalcoatl

DEADY GUERRERO/DIRT COBAIN/GEORGE KUSH
I've never thought of "cloud-chaser" as a derogatory term. Not every vaporist is using cannabis for its medical properties. For some, it's a way to have fun or relax. Nothing wrong with that.

AdmiralAlpacha

I don't know where I fall, as I just take a hit, a combination of what my vape provides and my lung capacity available decides how big of a hit it is. But I could care less what names people might put on me, ill be sitting back, relaxing, and getting medicated :p

harmudge

I don't know where I fall, as I just take a hit, a combination of what my vape provides and my lung capacity available decides how big of a hit it is. But I could care less what names people might put on me, ill be sitting back, relaxing, and getting medicated :p

Here Here...:clap:

harmudge,

vtac

vapor junkie
Staff member
Discussions like this are what I love about this place. The world would be a much nicer place if everyone put more effort into understanding and respecting personal preferences in all aspects of life. Far too much suffering has resulted from the forcing of beliefs on others.

Vaping/smoking/glassware videos on Youtube are particularly bad when it comes to comments on cannabis consumption technique: Too much water, noob!!!! Pussy hit!!! Try holding your hit, idiot!

On a related note, I feel guilty of discriminating against smokers when I look at the name of this site. As much as I dislike smoke and what it does to people (cigarettes, not cannabis), that was not the intention when it was conceived. Live and learn. :)

vorrange

Vapor.wise
Great posts everyone, i think most has been said already.

I never considered the term in a negative way although i understand why some would feel this way considering their particular sensibility and issues in life.

One thing i would like to say about the "cloud chaser" definition: Since cannabis is generally expensive for most of us, and we are always trying to get the highest with the least amount per session, there is a tendency to value efficacy when vaporizing.
And, of course, the general vaporist here at FC does not need to blow out huge clouds to achieve this and in fact it is mildly wasteful. So, when we are discussing vaporizers and vaporizing techniques, the tendency to value efficiency and low tolerances can obliterate other concerns and other goals with vaporization.

Because of these two reasons, people like t-dub and others who need higher amounts for medical reasons, might feel attacked. And of course, there are the recreational users who like to vaporize this way and that is fine as well.

I am a cloud chaser on the weekends and a tasty sipper on weekdays.. fortunately i haven't got the need to use the plant as medicine.

Top Bottom