• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Cloud-chaser: Derogatory term or innocent classification?

lwien

I respectfully disagree. I think the terminology we use and the intent behind it is a relevant topic. Especially when people have been insulted in the past.

I don't understand what is offensive of the term "cloud chasers". I chase clouds and I like chasing clouds. I don't get the negative connotation but I guess that there's always something that will offend someone, but this one just escapes me. :shrug:

Last edited:

fluffhead

Recovering Idealist
I don't understand what is offensive of the term "cloud chasers". I chase clouds and I like chasing clouds. I don't get the negative connotation but I guess that there's always something that will offend someone, but this one just escapes me. :shrug:
I'm with you on not caring. But I was just replying to the idea that the thread was stupid. At least one person has potentially been offended and at least one has admitted intended offense. To me, that warrants discussion. Not necessarily a long one, but I wouldn't call it stupid.

lwien

I'm with you on not caring. But I was just replying to the idea that the thread was stupid. At least one person has potentially been offended and at least one has admitted intended offense. To me, that warrants discussion. Not necessarily a long one, but I wouldn't call it stupid.

Agreed. I wouldn't call the thread stupid either. I may disagree with someone here, but I sure as hell wouldn't want to invalidate them by stating that their concerns or the discussions of those concerns are stupid in any way just because I either don't agree with them or understand them.

deadheadbill

I can see clearly now the smoke is gone...
I guess that there's always something that will offend someone, but this one just escapes me. :shrug:

That was my point. Nothing more. I was just a little vaped and a bit more blunt about it.

deadheadbill,

ou812?

Agreed. I wouldn't call the thread stupid either. I may disagree with someone here, but I sure as hell wouldn't want to invalidate them by stating that their concerns or the discussions of those concerns are stupid in any way just because I either don't agree with them or understand them.

++++1 you nailed it! in both accounts! :tup:

S1N3

Tarzan @ KloudSociety
I use the term to refer for someone who enjoys the sedative properties of MMJ by using higher temp vaporizers that produce thick/ denser vapor clouds. It's interesting to learn people find resentment in a term when most vaporizers may be labeled as "cloud chaser" devices (assuming it reaches a high enough temps and allows proper airflow for long draws).

Usually the term is thrown around negatively by persons defending low heat output devices, devices with small loading capacity, or devices which only let you draw short pulls. Respectively the elitist attitude shared by persons who use the term negatively is falls on deaf ears. As a self identified cloud chaser I have the discretionary income to support my vaporizer hobby and am quite content with busting my hump at work so I can enjoy the fruits of my labor. :myday:

Im glad people use the term on this forum since it helps set my expectations before making a new vaporizer purchase. Regardless of the intent by the person using the term, it has saved me money thanks to this forum. I passed on a MFLB & Vapman, which I'd surely have regretted.

I read one comment in this thread about how "chaser" may be perceived as an addiction / druggie. I don't agree with that assessment and think it more from someone who in only recent years became a medical patient. Without being coarse, it's this kind of misunderstanding from medical users that leads to negative connotations. In it's the simplest manner (recreational) users may define the term:

TLDR:
  • Cloud = Sedative properties gained at higher temps. Visible vapor that goes with the routine/ritual of smoking.
  • Chaser = Someone wanting a device that meets their specific needs. And does not settle for a device with limitation in temperature or amount of material they want to consume.

vapirtoo

Sometimes I'm a Cloud Chaser and other times I'm like Mr.wispy; depends on my mood, setting,
and amoumt of herb :D . Actually you can call me anything, but late to dinner.
I mean at FUCKCOMBUSTION, we can be so thin skinned ?
Sheeit, Now I might have something to post on Lwien's fuck you thread.

lwien

Sometimes I'm a Cloud Chaser and other times I'm like Mr.wispy.....

Klaus von Cloud Chaser versus Mr. Wispy Whimp !! Guess it all depends if you want to devour some freshly cut Mountain Rocky Oysters marinated in melas zomos or sip on some Calistoga with a slice of lime.

Sheeit, Now I might have something to post on Lwien's fuck you thread.

It's about fucking time, eh?

grokit

well-worn member
I'm a proud cloud chaser, it comes from having a combustion background and I like it. But another reason is that I have noticed that if I try to sip on a portable that limits me that way it takes too long, I get the effect but I forget to finish the load. It may eventually turn off on its own, but in general with these type of vapes the material keeps cooking and it goes to waste. I would much rather get my medication out of the way in a hit or three than milk it for a dozen or so.

Oscar_Milde

Forum Crawler
Oh no, the political correctness bug has bitter FuckCombustion, of all places. It seems like the OP was the only person who felt offended being classed as a cloud chaser, the rest of us are proud of our chaser status?

Oscar_Milde,
Reactions: vapirtoo

ataxian

PALE BLUE DOT
I'm a proud cloud chaser, it comes from having a combustion background and I like it. But another reason is that I have noticed that if I try to sip on a portable that limits me that way it takes too long, I get the effect but I forget to finish the load. It may eventually turn off on its own, but in general with these type of vapes the material keeps cooking and it goes to waste. I would much rather get my medication out of the way in a hit or three than milk it for a dozen or so.
Now I get it!

There are two camps:

CLOUD CHASERS / FLAVOR CHASERS

We all have different needs!

To be a CLOUD CHASER is a good thing for many people.

Being from the OLD SCHOOL 70's we smoked ZIG-ZAGS 24/7!
This was real CLOUD CHASING!

Today I love the sweet vapor of a well grown cannabis cola!

I enjoy it a lot.

BUMMER
I cough so bad these days even a little harshness sets me off!
Powerful hard hitting vaporizers seem like fun if you have iron lungs.

If I need a fix:(once a month) of hard hitting cannabis I fire up a bowl through a couple of ASH CATCHERS, WATER PIPE and a SHERLOCK.

SMOKING JOINTS is what I loved the most!

We can't chase clouds forever!

Chase them as long as you still can!

Last edited:

deadheadbill

I can see clearly now the smoke is gone...
Funny. The older I get the less I enjoy joints. I'll even pass on them sometimes. Something about tasting everyone else's spit just does not appeal to me anymore. :)

As far as cloud chasing goes. Sometimes I'm a cloud chaser and sometimes I'm a flavor chaser. Depends on my mood and/or goal at the time

Cheerful Dub

Spaced Station
In my opinion "cloud chaser" is an e-cigarette user terminology and is very literal and has nothing to do with ingesting narcotics of any sort. It is simply the pursuit of exhaling large amounts of water vapor - which is what a cloud is by literal definition.

A billow of smoke is not really the same thing. Cannabis vapor could be considered a cloud, yes - but when you look at dual/quad coil atomizer builds employed by actual "cloud chasers" from the original market you realize why this term was coined.

There is nobody who is "chasing clouds" of this nature with a stationary tube, a portable, flowers or concentrates, or any other cannabis related consumption device. So I feel it is pointless to even discuss in that context.

Similarly the argument is put forth that the pursuit is wasteful because anything exhaled is not absorbed into your bloodstream, which is completely false. Every person who "chases clouds" to that degree is forced to lower their nicotine content to the lowest or zero levels in the juice, because otherwise they overdose in a heartbeat.

Everything is relative. To someone who does not dose, any amount is considered ridiculous. "To the worm in the horseradish, the world is horseradish."

Do what makes you happy, as always, and forget the rest :nod:

grokit

well-worn member
Actually cloud-chasing comes from vaping tobacco, but from long before e-cigarettes. Go to any hookah bar and see what impresses, it's big huge clouds of vaporized shisha tobacco. Hookas have been around for centuries, on the other side of the planet. Currently hookah bars seem to be replacing the cigar bars in many cities, as it's a way around most anti-smoking laws.

I should qualify that I very rarely combust, maybe a couple of bongloads a year (if that), just to remind myself that it's not just the taste/carbon monoxide that turn me off, it's the toxic feeling I get now. I really seemed to have smoked myself out, I just don't enjoy it anymore so vaporizing became my re-entry into cannabis right about the same time I finally entered pain management.

So the plan is that it will limit my exposure to the dangerous narcotics. I really like vaping but it's changed from a novelty to a necessity. I loves my clouds but I can see that I won't be chasing them forever. I have copd but at this point it only really bothers me if I get a cold, it turns into a real complicated issue without specific treatment. So I don't get colds; otherwise I am indeed mr. ironlungs and can still do it with smoke, I just don't want to.

I will probably want the upcoming Herbalizer IX if I'm still around in a decade or two, that not only pumps out killer vapor and blows up balloons, but if you pre-order now they will give you the free proto-liquidizer that re-condenses the vapor and drips it into your iv feed for ultimate convenience.

:rolleyes:, but that hose feed looks nice for sipping so maybe someday!

grokit,
Reactions: ataxian

t-dub

Vapor Sloth
Oh no, the political correctness bug has bitter FuckCombustion, of all places. It seems like the OP was the only person who felt offended being classed as a cloud chaser, the rest of us are proud of our chaser status?
If you guys took the time to read my comments and SliM's you would understand that it was the "context" words like this and "abusers" and "binge drinkers" have been used in recently that bothered me. There are people on this forum that use these terms to describe people in a negative way who aren't satisfied with the output of certain, portable, vape devices.

t-dub

Vapor Sloth
@t-dub you are an awesome dude. I don't think anyone would intentionally offend you. I do think that this entire thing was blown out of proportion. Partially due to this very thread.
This thread was started by a mod to discuss something we (paka & I) both cared about, although I was surprised at the time really. The point is the "Be Nice" rule. People are getting very creative in the way they use derogatory terms for others they disagree with to paint them in a negative light. Its an easy, cheap, tactic for dull intellectuals who's certain argument has no merit, to call the nay-sayers names. I have been cannon fodder for this shit long enough . . .

TechnicalToker

1. Why do you care what other people have to say?
2. Opinions are like assholes, everyone has one.
3. People use all kinds of thing for all kinds of things
4. I personally can not hold the draw from my Q until there is no visible vapour.

lwien

The point is the "Be Nice" rule. People are getting very creative in the way they use derogatory terms for others they disagree with to paint them in a negative light.

Its an easy, cheap, tactic for dull intellectuals who's certain argument has no merit......

Ummm............the comments above could be the poster for "A pot calling the kettle black", eh?

And as far as you being "cannon fodder for this shit", T, I think this is a figment of your imagination for I have never seen anyone here using you as cannon fodder. Oh, they may disagree with you, but it seems that you're taking all this a bit too personal and painting things in an overly negative light, eh, or am I just being a "dull intellectual"?

Please understand, T, I'm not trying to invalidate you but rather suggesting that your perception may need a bit of tweaking.

Last edited:
Top Bottom