TinyMight / TM 2

MHL

Try hard noob
> 'newest version 2024.09'.

They seem to say it about all their vaporisers. When you posted that line I knew immediately which store you were talking about 🤣

I'm not saying it aint true though!

MHL,
Reactions: JJ785

JJ785

Is there are any difference between the walnut and PH models, other than colour and included accessories?

JJ785,

Cheebsy

Microbe minion
Is there are any difference between the walnut and PH models, other than colour and included accessories?
Possibly! You'll have to ask TM directly though for certain. We expect the updates to make it across the range but haven't had confirmation.

When the PH model was released they touted zirconia oven liners and thicker ceramic rods in the heater assembly. Tbh, zirconia is a great material but it does have more heat capacity than Boro, so the unit reportedly retains more heat for longer. I think I prefer the device to be cooler at the expense of some fragility. I have never considered my original TM to be fragile though, others disagree.

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)

The difference in wood species is not as simple as color, you can look up the differences between american walnut and purple heart further although it is mostly aesthetic in this application there is also some textural differences in the grain etc

gangababa

Okay, I started reading through this whole thread and realized it would take me forever... so then I searched and started reading once the PH version was released... ~50 pages later I finally finished!
I saw the discussion about thermal controls and I'm wondering if anyone knows which temperature sensor is used and where it is located? I'm guessing with the temperature range the TM2 uses its not an integrated solution. For example if a thermistor is used, I'm interested in which one and where it is located as well as the rest of the signal path (i.e. data converter).
If someone has a broken down PCB and has pictures where the topmark can be read that might be helpful as well.
The Tinymight is controlled by the number dial which rotates an adjustable rheostat (pot) resister. The electronics use this resistance setting to determine how to cycle power to the heater. The vape does not use any form of temperature measurement. Essentially the system resistance variations determine the power delivery. This is why the vape has had power-loss problems caused by minor corrosion where parts clamp together, increasing resistance in the total system. Think of the Tinymight as a Model T; the owner handles the controls. It is not a modern computer masquerading as a car.
EDIT ADDING: Not my photography
Recessed-Screw-PCB.jpg

My picture.
20240711-162821.jpg

Last edited:

Timps27

Feel like I’m winnin’ when I’m losin’ again

Here you go, from POTV, the wood and some changes in the heater and air path internals:

More durable heater​

Tinymight also took the opportunity to strengthen their heater with a few minor changes. The quartz glass construction has been replaced with zirconia ceramic, a denser material, and the support rods that surround the heater are twice as strong as previous designs. It’s a much more robust construction that won’t impact performance, but a more durable vape is always welcome, especially at this price point!

Timps27,

never_inhaled

The Tinymight is controlled by the number dial which rotates an adjustable rheostat (pot) resister. The electronics use this resistance setting to determine how to cycle power to the heater. The vape does not use any form of temperature measurement. Essentially the system resistance variations determine the power delivery. This is why the vape has had power-loss problems caused by minor corrosion where parts clamp together, increasing resistance in the total system. Think of the Tinymight as a Model T; the owner handles the controls. It is not a modern computer masquerading as a car.
EDIT ADDING: Not my photography
Recessed-Screw-PCB.jpg

My picture.
20240711-162821.jpg
Thank you for the pictures and pot discussion (pun intended). If sounds like there is no feedback path to prevent thermal runaway, which could explain the user's experience. Your corrosion example also might explain the origin of calibration mode. I wonder if drift over time determined the need for a calibration mode. I would think the calibration mode is done digitally assuming there is a microprocessor.
Do you know any specifics on the architecture? I understand the pot is used to adjust the heater output. Either a voltage or current would be produced by the potentiometer. I would expect this input is then either going to an ADC and then maybe driving a PWM ckt? or is it purely analog and the input of a driver to control the heater current output? There is a large chip in the middle is that a microcontroller? I'm also interested in what the temp range of those chips are. (ICs are generally specified up to 125 or 150'C, that's performance... i don't remember reliability data for max temp). If I remember correctly even the metal can packaged were only used up to 200'C. The heater is going to radiate lots of heat and the encloised case is going to trap that heat.

never_inhaled,

Cheebsy

Microbe minion
I remember back a few hundred pages ago we postulated that the OG has some TCR determining coil temp from resistance and PID like software to maintain temp under load. I don't think it's as simple as a potentiometer, inhale strength would then play a much bigger role in performance.

Cheebsy,

never_inhaled

I remember back a few hundred pages ago we postulated that the OG has some TCR determining coil temp from resistance and PID like software to maintain temp under load. I don't think it's as simple as a potentiometer, inhale strength would then play a much bigger role in performance.
It's sounding like the reliability is based purely on the usage model... which means its quite possible for the user to damage the TM via overheating. The PCB doesn't look like a purely discrete solution, so bad things can happen above 150'C... by the time you hit 240'C or so solder can start to reflow. There's going to be a temperature gradient, but I wonder why session mode hasn't created more problems. I'm imagining that some output driver, say a current source (it could even be a trim DAC) is driving the heater (load) I think you are right that headroom has to be given so this driver can product more current under load (inhale). I believe the original poster (@WhyWhyWhy? ) was inhaling during his temperature measurements to simulate these load conditions.
I say all this because it means that under normal session mode (no load) the device probably sits near the rated temperature. However, the load (inhale) will create more current.. creating more heat... until the device eventually is damaged. I'm not saying WhyWhyWhy? is seeing the results because he caused damage... I'm saying he will eventually damage his device because the only protection is the usage model... but TM doesn't give guidelines on how much thermal guardband is left if any. So I believe he had a valid point. And the response is also correct... the TM isn't robust enough to regulate the temperature under any conditions... so it's based on the usage model.... if it feels hot, best to stop. It's not a robust solution but seems to be holding up over the years or the warranty takes care of it.
Since we aren't inhaling the whole time in session mode (no load condition)... the device stays in a reasonable temp range and that is why damage isn't frequent. However the potential exists for the user to damage the device by doing long inhales, and there is no thermal monitoring to protect the circuit. With configuration states, led modes, calibration this is all much easier done in the digital domain. I thermal monitoring circuit would help reduce the reliability concerns... even something simpler like a short circuit protection ckt could help limit the temperature. Thermal monitoring can get complicated, so I don't think we'll ever see tight temperature control... but a reliability-based temperature limit is reasonable. i hope this is easy enough to understand.. rushing for dinner :)

never_inhaled,
  • Love
Reactions: Rodney
Top Bottom