Discontinued The Grasshopper

Mister G

Deceptively Old Fart
Actually you wouldn't have to draw since the residue is probably not in the chamber (it is easy to get rid of it in there with some ISO and q-tips), but on the heater itself. So even if you don't draw the burn-in will happen… :2c:

Will the GH heater activate with the mouthpiece detached? That would give any residues more freedom to escape from any "burn ins" sans suction.

My personal take is I believe the makers intend the GH to be safely usable out of the box. But always proceeding with caution is rarely unwise.

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
Did we ever depart from the topic? Talking about specific ways to detect off gassing of the Grasshopper, apparently people are finding this useful enough to want to discuss it....

I knew somebody would have to challenge that. Back and forth bickering over how to test for off-gassing isn't specific to the Grasshopper any more. Furthermore, as I already pointed out, materials safety discussions are not supposed to take place in model threads. Even further and specific to you, I have also already pointed out how to deal with disagreements over how this thread is moderated. Consider yourself lucky to escape without a warning point.

RUDE BOY

Space is the Place
Will the GH heater activate with the mouthpiece detached? That would give any residues more freedom to escape from any "burn ins" sans suction.

My personal take is I believe the makers intend the GH to be safely usable out of the box. But always proceeding with caution is rarely unwise.

I thought the talk was that the 'hopper functioned like the elevape sv where the heater only engages when you draw on it. (It's been used as the justification for short battery life not being an issue)

If it doesn't I know I won't pick up a second one for me as the one from the indiegogo campaign is earmarked for someone else.

Last edited:

Mister G

Deceptively Old Fart
I thought the talk was that the 'hopper functioned like the elevape sv where the heater only engages when you draw on it.

If it doesn't I know I won't pick up a second one for me as the one from the indiegogo campaign is earmarked for someone else.

You're right, I forgot about it being draw activated, although Buzz's recent test shows that it does heat up when on, just doesn't transfer as much to the chamber, I was wondering if it still did if MP was detached, I guess.

Delta3DStudios

Accessory Maker
You're right, I forgot about it being draw activated, although Buzz's recent test shows that it does heat up when on, just doesn't transfer as much to the chamber, I was wondering if it still did if MP was detached, I guess.

I don't think the vape is draw activated. I think moreso it's a "Draw-sensing" technology which detects a sudden drop in temperature (or spike in power consumption, depending on how the system was designed).

midgetsanchez

It does heat up when on, it just does not vaporize unless you draw (forcing the hot air through the chamber).

The unit powers on and heats normally with the mouthpiece detached; I've been doing this under a bright lamp to test for offgassing. I cleaned my unit with an iso q-tip and will be doing a burn-off once again on max at some point today to see if there's any visible offgassing or anything.

I've been doing a variety of tests and have been much heavier on the battery than I would for normal use. So far I'm pleased; it would definitely last me several sessions/at least a full day of use no problem.

Edit: After cleaning and cycling I've noticed some faint vapor being produced on max (only visible under my light). I'm not quite sure if it's actually offgassing or if it's just kief/herb that may have gotten through the screen onto the heating element (the holes are rather small though, so I doubt it). I *do* notice some sort of "new vape taste" like Buzz mentioned before, I wonder if this will go away as the unit gets broken in. Hopefully the weird vapor is nothing to worry about...

My crafty had a strange taste initially as well (this disappeared after around 2 days of use). So perhaps it's normal.

Last edited:

lwien

It is normal for 2 or so days, but not 15+ like what you're experiencing.

That faint vapor on max that you are referring to. Does it smell like kief or bud or does it smell like something you don't want to be inhaling?

lwien,

lwien

Where are you getting 15 days of use? He received the unit on Monday night.

You're correct. It was @baltik who ran thru 15 burn-ins at full power but the same concerns apply, eh?

Bottom line though is I think GH needs to make a DEFINITIVE comment on this to eliminate further concerns, speculations and discussions, eh, or did they already do that?

Last edited:

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
But always proceeding with caution is rarely unwise.

Nice one, my head is spinning lol

I think Hopper is like combo elevape and firefly, bc it has the button click to engage the heater on like the ff switch, but then instead of a trigger like ff to hit it, it relies on draw sensing like esv to adjust wattage and vaporize to temp (but esv is resting off, unless you draw. Firefly you can push trigger to heat it up without drawing). So with it clicked, and not drawing, it is in a resting standby, yet heated state. Should be enough to burn off whatever residual whathaveyou is left on the heater?

tr33sPlease

You're correct. It was @baltik who ran thru 15 burn-ins at full power but the same concerns apply, eh?

Bottom line though is I think GH needs to make a DEFINITIVE comment on this to eliminate further concerns and speculations, eh, or did they already do that?

I agree...though if 15 - 20 burn ins is all it takes and then I am good to go, then I will be happy.

They released a vague statement (in a private email), but it wasn't definitive in my opinion.

inuhuion

I've been doing a variety of tests and have been much heavier on the battery than I would for normal use. So far I'm pleased; it would definitely last me several sessions/at least a full day of use no problem.

Nice, so we've gone from 3 hours of battery life, to 10 minutes, to at least a full day of use. HAHA! I know, it's different parameters, but you see how this kind of stuff gets us our panties in a bunch?

midgetsanchez

It is normal for 2 or so days, but not 15+ like what you're experiencing.

That faint vapor on max that you are referring to. Does it smell like kief or bud or does it smell like something you don't want to be inhaling?

To be honest it kind of smells like my soldering iron when it's hot.

I don't want to jump to conclusions, I've emailed Trevor about it and will keep you guys posted. I've only been able to generate this weird vapor at max temp so far.

First-run production can have its quirks. I'll feel more comfortable actually using my unit more once I have confirmation that I'm not inhaling something I shouldn't be.

I think @baltik ran his for 15 cycles, so I'll try and do the same and see if the vapor stops.

baltik

On the first dry run that produced the taste and visible vapor I did a pretty decent cigar hit on full temp. Afterwards I cycled it multiple times and gently blew through the intakes which forced a whispy vapor through the herb chamber. I then did just regular burn in cycles simply turning the hopper on and letting it shut off automatically. Lastly when the visible vapor subsided I did quick cigar puffs without lung inhales to activate the heater for a longer stretch.

Since for the vast majority of my cycles the hopper was not being activated by an inhalation it powered off relatively quickly. Whole thing took about 25 minutes

PetNature

Has anyone heard anything regarding the titanium cases? Will they be shipped with the first orders?

PetNature,

TheWhisper

I then did just regular burn in cycles simply turning the hopper on and letting it shut off automatically. Lastly when the visible vapor subsided...

So, it was definitely making vapor while on but without any drawing/blowing? That makes it sound more likely that it's from the heater.

TheWhisper,
Reactions: mindful1

vapebuddy13

Your resident Super Hero
Nice, so we've gone from 3 hours of battery life, to 10 minutes, to at least a full day of use. HAHA! I know, it's different parameters, but you see how this kind of stuff gets us our panties in a bunch?
doesnt frazzle me, the whole different parameters part is huge lol, 10 minutes of heat time can be a heck of a lot when used for 10/15sec intervals, really depends on personal use, how long ur draws will be and how many hits per session you take. Realistically unless im with people I can see a battery lasting me more than a day but can see it easily being dead after half a day if one of my buddies had it

slcbdco

Brewer, Lobbyist, Vaporist
Sounds pretty nasty to me man I wouldn't eat either of those things due to taste haha

It may sound like I'm being precious wanting to retain the taste. However, too many vapes I have used in the past seem to cook off terps into the air, leaking out of air inlets/openings in the air path whilst you are not hitting it. I don't wanna lose terps, these are part of the entourage effect!

This flavor only in first hit effect is a classic property of conduction vapes IME, wherein conduction will cook off the flavor before the other actives in an invisible vapor you can't even necessarily see coming off the vape! This is what happens in the Solo, and even moreso in vapes with more conduction heating (some of which still have their place for concentrates which melt up more readily than the actives ground up in plant material, but are not a portable I want to use for flowers!)

Still, I have actually been kindly reassured that this problem does not take place with the Grasshopper, @BuzzDanklin reports that the flavor stays throughout the bowl after the first hit and does not disappear in the form of invisible vapor escaping the vape after your first inhalation :D I am relieved, but should not surprised to hear this because the grasshopper is supposed to be convection only.
I call that the "Tic Tac" effect, someone else called it the "Bazooka Joe" effect. Either way, I hear ya! Hoping the Grasshopper doesn't suffer from it to bad.Thoughts @midgetsanchez or @baltik ?

Top Bottom