Discontinued The Grasshopper

Michel

I've been away from here for well over a year, mainly because I've switched to vaping oil but also because GH was a pain in the ass for an entire year and a half.

The straw that broke the camel's back was when i sent back a NEW Ti Hopper and after 16 months they tell me, sorry, there's nothing we can do but you can get a discount on a NEW new Hopper io.

I'm still waiting for it.

I hate this company.

Did you recently try to contact them? Sry if I overread any information you already posted.

Vape Master

Formerly C3PO
Yes, within the last two weeks. They always have an excuse, and I cut them a lot of slack over Covid and left them alone since February until 6 weeks ago.
As much as I LOVE the product. I won't let a company take advantage of me. For me and the other consumers. The Colorado Better Business Bureau Complaints is of extreme importance. Complaints are of EXTREME importance to the BBB.

If we sit like lambs they will treat us that way. You may need to go to the website to get the BBB info on the company and contacts and addresses.

3801 E. Florida Avenue
Suite 350
Denver, Colorado 80210
Get Directions
Email this BBB
p:303-758-2100
f:720-664-3498

I hope this helps. I get a feeling the more we react like responsible consumers the more the situation will be corrected one way or another.

Very few have praised the GH IO Ti as much as I have. However, it vexes me that the company I invested over $300 can make my unit useless for weeks, months or in some cases years.

ADVOCATE. USE the info above.

JoeMama

As much as I LOVE the product. I won't let a company take advantage of me. For me and the other consumers. The Colorado Better Business Bureau Complaints is of extreme importance. Complaints are of EXTREME importance to the BBB.

If we sit like lambs they will treat us that way. You may need to go to the website to get the BBB info on the company and contacts and addresses.

3801 E. Florida Avenue
Suite 350
Denver, Colorado 80210
Get Directions
Email this BBB

I hope this helps. I get a feeling the more we react like responsible consumers the more the situation will be corrected one way or another.

Very few have praised the GH IO Ti as much as I have. However, it vexes me that the company I invested over $300 can make my unit useless for weeks, months or in some cases years.

Thanks for that info, much appreciated!
I intend to use if if this last deadline they gave themselves is pushed out another month.

I'll keep yas posted.

Cheers!

JoeMama

3801 E. Florida Avenue
Suite 350
Denver, Colorado 80210
Get Directions
Email this BBB

They gave me the choice of taking a plain Ti or a refund, so I'm going with the Ti. The reason I didn't want the plain is that I already have one and I wanted it to be easier to identify. I'll have to get creative about that.

They way you talk about your IO Ti, I'm really hoping it kicks ass and never dies on me.

EDIT: Sorry for the double post!

luc59

Hello,

I live in Europe and it's been 2 years now that I have been discussing GH on fuckcombustion and 1 year that I have a GH.

Unfortunately my biggest fear has happened is my GH hardly works any more, in fact it displays the red leds for 10 seconds then 'goes off or turns blue but goes off immediately after.
I suspect it is clogged because the resistance to draft and the heating time was accentuated last days.

I tried several batteries, cleaned the bowl with a bit of iso, I cleaned the back-end and body wires, and I cleaned the back-end negative switch with a little iso alcohol. ..

So I would like to improve the conductivity and check that nothing is blocking the GH:
-buy pliers (to loosen the screen in the GH) to check if the heating system is clogged.
-buy blu-tac or deoxit to thoroughly clean the wires and battery contacts.
-Pass a shot of compressed air from the outside of the GH into the air inlet holes

Can you help me by suggesting links for me to buy suitable material (which you have already tested) for the clamp and blu-tac / deoxit?

Thanks in advance for your advice.
Lucas

vapviking

Old & In the Way
Hello,

I live in Europe and it's been 2 years now that I have been discussing GH on fuckcombustion and 1 year that I have a GH.

Unfortunately my biggest fear has happened is my GH hardly works any more, in fact it displays the red leds for 10 seconds then 'goes off or turns blue but goes off immediately after.
I suspect it is clogged because the resistance to draft and the heating time was accentuated last days.

I tried several batteries, cleaned the bowl with a bit of iso, I cleaned the back-end and body wires, and I cleaned the back-end negative switch with a little iso alcohol. ..

So I would like to improve the conductivity and check that nothing is blocking the GH:
-buy pliers (to loosen the screen in the GH) to check if the heating system is clogged.
-buy blu-tac or deoxit to thoroughly clean the wires and battery contacts.
-Pass a shot of compressed air from the outside of the GH into the air inlet holes

Can you help me by suggesting links for me to buy suitable material (which you have already tested) for the clamp and blu-tac / deoxit?

Thanks in advance for your advice.
Lucas
Sorry, I'm not in Europe and can not provide good links, but...
I do not think the restricted draw is causing the lights nor the failure to heat; it's just something that happens to Grasshoppers over time. Yes some have said that the temp sensor can get fouled and failed to work, but I don't think there has been any conclusive evidence (or recommendation from HL) about this. Cleaning with compressed air is the main option there.

Removing the chamber screen is not difficult at all; it is only pushed down in there (not threaded), so you simply need to be able to grab it well, give a turn or so, then work it back and forth while pulling up. I have used the same inexpensive fine-point tweezers that a lot of us have used to re-tighten the mouthpiece screen if it becomes loose. Of course, clean the chamber side walls well before removing screen or blowing air around in there!

HL recommends iso alcohol to clean threads and I think it works very well, but blu-tac (or one called stic-tac) do seem to get more gray matter off. Worth a try on that.

Oxidation can be a problem with titanium, but not so much with ss. (reading on that would be way, way, back in the thread...) and my opinion is that deoxit is not critical in keeping good contact, except maybe for bad cases with ti threads.

Compressed air in high volume can be somewhat effective for draw restriction. (from a can may not be power enough, and watch out for the additives in canned "air"). If possible, better to blow through a hot hopper than a cold one.

Do you have a fresh (as in "new") battery? At one year yours could be pretty well used up, and a tired battery can manifest in varying ways. I would suggest, if you haven't already, this might be one of the best starting places for you. Lucky they have just come back into stock after a long, long wait.

Good luck. Of course, others will have differing opinions, and that's a good thing!

disGRUNTled

Original TI Hopper w/ original battery x 2.Opened up the vape drawer last night and this one was starring at me.Charged both batteries and broke out some Purple Sunset .This thing still hits like a tank , effects come on fast and heavy with this one.
twShQch.jpg

3AiAJ0I.jpg

57aSBkY.jpg

fogbank

Do you have a fresh (as in "new") battery? At one year yours could be pretty well used up, and a tired battery can manifest in varying ways. I would suggest, if you haven't already, this might be one of the best starting places for you. Lucky they have just come back into stock after a long, long wait.

This would be my concern as well. It sounds like a battery issue that @luc59 is describing. In my experience Hopper batteries "die" suddenly and in random order, meaning that it's not always the first batteries acquired that die first. I have some older batteries that are still going strong, and some much newer batteries that have already died. When I can't get two full draws out of a single charge then it's time to take that battery out of rotation.

I have an OG Ti Hopper that started showing signs of poor performance. I experienced "ghost" hits (first draw produces almost no vapor, next draw produces huge cloud), and a hot back end. I started using it with the @maxvapor710 AC adapter exclusively, and I haven't experienced any "ghost" hits or hot back end since (although it's only been a few weeks).

luc59

Thanks for your advices.
I specify that it is GH Titanium.

So I will refrain from buying deoxit and I will mainly try to blow air into my (hot) Grasshopper through the outside air intake pants using a compressor.

And bought a pair of pliers to still try to disassemble the screen of the GH and maybe the blu-tac / stic-tac but I don't really believe it because I have already cleaned the wires well with iso alcohol. ..

I tried three different batteries (old, ~ 2 years old and ~ 1 year old) so the problem does not come from there because the behavior of my GH is the same: red LED which lights up for 10 sec then turns blue 1 second before extinguish ...

Vaporific

All who wander are not lost...
Bought a Ti PFE from HL in Feb ‘20 and used it once mated with my water rig and it worked pretty well. I’m a native guy and don’t do much filtration in general. My native frontend needed a soak so I used the PFE for a large chunk of yesterday and it worked really well. With the native frontend I usually start @ 2.8 and, more recently, slowly temp stepping to 3.5 to finish a chamber in 3-4 draws. I’m not a high temp guy because I think the Hopper is hot enough with the short vapor path. But that’s just me. With the PFE yesterday I conservatively started at 2 as I knew the draw resistance would be much more wide open. And it was. Barely went above 2.8 with it and it hit well. It looks strange to me though and it sticks out A bit of the leather sleeve (and Ratchett’s wonderful leather case).

I may the PFE more now - even more so that I ordered an io a couple of days ago. May the fun continue.:) :peace:

Last edited:

JCat

Accessory Maker
Thanks for your advices.
I specify that it is GH Titanium.

So I will refrain from buying deoxit and I will mainly try to blow air into my (hot) Grasshopper through the outside air intake pants using a compressor.

And bought a pair of pliers to still try to disassemble the screen of the GH and maybe the blu-tac / stic-tac but I don't really believe it because I have already cleaned the wires well with iso alcohol. ..

I tried three different batteries (old, ~ 2 years old and ~ 1 year old) so the problem does not come from there because the behavior of my GH is the same: red LED which lights up for 10 sec then turns blue 1 second before extinguish ...
I would venture it’s your batteries ... I had 13 and none of them worked any longer. Some of these didn’t work from 1st use.

No issues with any batteries in my Ti Hopper (such as ghost hits and blinking lights) with any batteries since the fire batteries.

With GHB2’s or 1’s, 3 cells, all >=1 year old hardly eliminates the battery as the issue.

Just my 2 cents and experience with the HL batteries ...

Edit: all that being said, just because it might be your batteries doesn’t mean it is. My SS Hopper doesn’t work right with the new batteries either ... :lol:

delloy

Hey everyone!

Haven‘t been around for awhile and don‘t really know whats happening with the hopper crew anymore as I just haven’t been following updates. I was a very early adopter of the grasshopper and have two from the first batches sent out, and had the issues with it constantly failing like many others.
Both my hoppers failed yet again well over a year or so ago and I didn’t bother doing anything about it as I was basically fed up with it going wrong all the time and sending it from the UK got costly. I then heard about the issues with batteries and the fire etc. I have recently decided to perhaps try to send them in for repair/replacement again. So what I want to ask is are they still honoring the lifetime warranty on the original hoppers since the io surfaced and if so how long the wait might be?

Last edited:

vapviking

Old & In the Way
Hey everyone!

Haven‘t been around for awhile and dont really now whats happening with the hopper crew anymore as I just haven’t been following updates. I was a very early adopter of the grasshopper and had two right from the first batches sent out and had the issues with it constantly failing like many others. Both my hoppers failed yet again about a year or so ago and I didn’t bother doing anything about it as I was basically fed up with it going wrong all the time. I then heard about the issues with batteries and the fire etc. I have decided to perhaps send them in for repair/replacement recently. So what I want to ask is are they still honoring the lifetime warranty on the original hoppers since the io surfaced and if so how long the wait might be?
There is still apparent support for the og hopper, but stalling on warranty claims with og's is still a big sticky mess at HL these days.
1. My read is that if you attempt warranty, you'll be put in a long waiting cue, as they hope you either fade into the past(?) or move on to option #2.

2. The 'easy way out' is to take an offer of credit on your og's towards purchase of a new io; I was given 80 bucks ea. for two ss og's, which, on balance I feel good about (and think it fair).

Long ago HL 'monetized' the lifetime warranty and allowed folks who get a used one to transfer the warranty to new owner for, like 45 dollars. Now they have assigned value to exchanging og's.
My feeling is that the term 'lifetime' has been quite diluted in this use...

Choices

.....I have decided to perhaps send them in for repair/replacement again recently. So what I want to ask is are they still honoring the lifetime warranty on the original hoppers since the io surfaced and if so how long the wait might be?

Good luck? It is all over the map as far as customer service goes with HL. I have been fortunate to never haves issues with mine but it has never been a daily driver and I’m a lightweight soeven when I use it there isn’t a lot of stress put on it....

SpaceManWalking

Hey everyone!

Haven‘t been around for awhile and don‘t really know whats happening with the hopper crew anymore as I just haven’t been following updates. I was a very early adopter of the grasshopper and have two from the first batches sent out, and had the issues with it constantly failing like many others.
Both my hoppers failed yet again well over a year or so ago and I didn’t bother doing anything about it as I was basically fed up with it going wrong all the time and sending it from the UK got costly. I then heard about the issues with batteries and the fire etc. I have recently decided to perhaps try to send them in for repair/replacement again. So what I want to ask is are they still honoring the lifetime warranty on the original hoppers since the io surfaced and if so how long the wait might be?

My original Hopper has been in for service for 11 months now with no end in sight. The only update I have received was them telling me it would be another 90 - 120 days minimum after I had to message them multiple times over a few weeks to get a response.

SpaceManWalking,
Reactions: Vapor_Eyes

Vaporific

My original Hopper has been in for service for 11 months now with no end in sight. The only update I have received was them telling me it would be another 90 - 120 days minimum after I had to message them multiple times over a few weeks to get a response.
Sorry. Have they confirmed they still have it and it wasn’t lost or irreparably damaged in the fire last year? That throws another level of complexity to your problem. Just saying. Good luck.

a buddy of mine who received his pre order Grasshopper a month befor me in ‘16 sent in for RMA just before the fire and HL stated it’s gone. He’s still negotiating with them about it (negotiate is a poor choice of words and communication has been little and far between give his stance and HL’s reluctance to make customers whole related to fire losses). The same buddy who has yet to receive the steel case 5 years later. It’s tough. Good luck! :peace:

vapviking

Old & In the Way
send pm to @VGOODIEZ , he's be doing some of the social-network communications with HL and can follow up on your warranty status; it has been a long time.
Give him service # assigned to your rma.

SpaceManWalking

Sorry. Have they confirmed they still have it and it wasn’t lost or irreparably damaged in the fire last year? That throws another level of complexity to your problem. Just saying. Good luck.

a buddy of mine who received his pre order Grasshopper a month befor me in ‘16 sent in for RMA just before the fire and HL stated it’s gone. He’s still negotiating with them about it (negotiate is a poor choice of words and communication has been little and far between give his stance and HL’s reluctance to make customers whole related to fire losses). The same buddy who has yet to receive the steel case 5 years later. It’s tough. Good luck! :peace:

They never actually confirmed either way. I have only ever received generic responses with increasing timelines. Originally they stated 60 - 90 days in February (after having it for four months already) then at the end of May they stated it was now 'a minimum of 120 days' so they will put it at just about a full year with zero progress. This originally was a preorder unit that has probably spent more time awaiting service than being used at this point over the many RMAs.

SpaceManWalking,

Vaporific

Has anyone received replacement batteries after buying fire batch batteries?
Yes, 5 of them. Received them several weeks ago. Presumably GHB3’s that aren’t labeled as such ("GBH2"). I nagged them a bit but not terribly. Of course a buddy ordered his two months before me in ‘19 and hasn’t heard a peep from them about his batts. It’s amazing that HL would rather ignore us, the hands and pockets ($) that feed them, and we need to chase them down for things. Others may have different and better experiences but mine have always been less than stellar.

I however did order a Ti io on Friday before the holiday weekend and discovered that the mobile site doesn’t tell you any shipping info (at least I can’t find any). In Progress is all my order status says on my smartphone. And their order status tracking on their site is still messed up looking at my previous orders (yep). Gotta check my account on my laptop - NOW! :hmm::peace:

EDIT: just logged into my account from my laptop and there's nothing on the order details page with a shipping tracking link. It correctly lists my name, address, billing details and two items: Ti io and an extra batt. If it has shipped they haven't updated anything yet. Ugh.

Last edited:

vapviking

Old & In the Way
Has anyone received replacement batteries after buying fire batch batteries?
I think it's been on a squeaky wheel basis for months. If you were 'owed' replacements from the fire recall or if you simply really, really needed some... well, either of those two options seemed to get some results.

Once or twice I asked, and purchased a total of 3, (had an rma come back that would not run without new battery) but all of those were new-old stock, as in pre-fire stock. They did all work and help thru the ensuing lean months. We all remember the Nov.19 fire was punctuation to an already months-long wait for batteries.

In recent months, I purchased an io that came, of course, with a battery. Then a week later the io failed and was replaced with a new, boxed unit, which included another battery. (these are both from the b3's that are mis-labeled as b2's) So, they've kept me in pretty good shape in that department.

But, lingering on the books somewhere in the dusty corners of HL's server is my order from April '19 for 2 batteries. I have not specifically inquired about these, ever since notice of the fire I've just waited. One day, when my needs are greater I guess I'll lean on the situation and prolly get them if I ask. In all this meantime I have not minded buying some along a the way, feeling in some small part to be supporting the guys.

@Mr. Me2 , the long awaited batch of b3's has landed and are being sold, so I think with a nudge you could get what you are owed. One reason I suppose I continue to wait is I want to be really sure they'll be coming from the newest batch, correctly labeled GHB3.

Be interesting to see which kind @Vaporific's new io comes with, and the spares on his order.

Omg, should we have started a GHB Shipping Thread a year or two ago???????? :ugh:

Vaporific

I think it's been on a squeaky wheel basis for months. If you were 'owed' replacements from the fire recall or if you simply really, really needed some... well, either of those two options seemed to get some results.

Once or twice I asked, and purchased a total of 3, (had an rma come back that would not run without new battery) but all of those were new-old stock, as in pre-fire stock. They did all work and help thru the ensuing lean months. We all remember the Nov.19 fire was punctuation to an already months-long wait for batteries.

In recent months, I purchased an io that came, of course, with a battery. Then a week later the io failed and was replaced with a new, boxed unit, which included another battery. (these are both from the b3's that are mis-labeled as b2's) So, they've kept me in pretty good shape in that department.

But, lingering on the books somewhere in the dusty corners of HL's server is my order from April '19 for 2 batteries. I have not specifically inquired about these, ever since notice of the fire I've just waited. One day, when my needs are greater I guess I'll lean on the situation and prolly get them if I ask. In all this meantime I have not minded buying some along a the way, feeling in some small part to be supporting the guys.

@Mr. Me2 , the long awaited batch of b3's has landed and are being sold, so I think with a nudge you could get what you are owed. One reason I suppose I continue to wait is I want to be really sure they'll be coming from the newest batch, correctly labeled GHB3.

Be interesting to see which kind @Vaporific's new io comes with, and the spares on his order.

Omg, should we have started a GHB Shipping Thread a year or two ago???????? :ugh:
I’ll certainly let you know. Just received email reply from HL that my io (and extra batt - presumably) are on their way. The USPS tracking link estimates a 9/14 delivery (Monday).

Squeaky wheels and nudging seem to be needed in many cases (not all) but certainly has been my experience with HL over 5 years. Perhaps they’re getting a bit better but have miles to go IMO.

I would love to see “GHB3” on the new batts however my fire replacement batch received several weeks ago (after NUDGING!) were labeled 2’s though I assume they’re 3’s in 2’s clothing. They seem to work well with my OG Ti. Looking forward to the io though - soon. :peace:

Top Bottom