Discontinued The Grasshopper

DelaSheck

I second this, at least about the BBB being crap. They’re known shills/pay-to-play

I have experienced it with my business. A customer complained to the BBB about not accepting a gift card. It was hand written and photocopied with our logo. We only have plastic gift cards.

So we were contacted by BBB and they told us about the complaint and for us to respond or even have it removed we would have to pay some crazy amount of money to join. I of course refused.

kilo

I've got a stainless Hopper which I've used since last April which has started to develop extreme heat on the back end; it almost feels like a shock. It quickly cools down and it vapes effectively, as it always has. I think I've seen other people mention this but in a quick review of previous pages I didn't find any of these posts. I substituted the back end from a titanium model and the same thing occurred. Is it worth going through the warranty process to address this? I've adapted the way I hold the unit to avoid the experience but I wondered if anyone has any more information about this phenomenon. Thanks.

Vapor_Eyes

taste buds
I've got a stainless Hopper which I've used since last April which has started to develop extreme heat on the back end; it almost feels like a shock. It quickly cools down and it vapes effectively, as it always has. I think I've seen other people mention this but in a quick review of previous pages I didn't find any of these posts. I substituted the back end from a titanium model and the same thing occurred. Is it worth going through the warranty process to address this? I've adapted the way I hold the unit to avoid the experience but I wondered if anyone has any more information about this phenomenon. Thanks.
I would try cleaning the backend threads and the threads on the body. Also clean your battery contact on the backend, even if it doesn’t look dirty there could be a layer of oxidation. Make sure your batteries are clean also.

You might want to take a look at the Fixes resource.

MoltenTiger

I would try cleaning the backend threads and the threads on the body.
This and the battery itself is definitely worth a check, the postive and negative ends build up gunk over time too.

You can also try madly turning the dial from 1 - 5 to try and 'scrape' the internal contacts.

Blu-tac does a pretty good job on the threads, mostly for upkeep. DeoxIT or some other contact cleaner will do a much more vigorous job, which could be worth a try if it keeps getting hot. But be very careful with liquids near the electronics.

Mr. Me2

This and the battery itself is definitely worth a check, the postive and negative ends build up gunk over time too.

You can also try madly turning the dial from 1 - 5 to try and 'scrape' the internal contacts.

Blu-tac does a pretty good job on the threads, mostly for upkeep. DeoxIT or some other contact cleaner will do a much more vigorous job, which could be worth a try if it keeps getting hot. But be very careful with liquids near the electronics.
Somebody else here was also using a dental tool to deep clean the threads.

BuzzDanklin

You can also try taking some isopropyl alcohol and putting it onto a folded over piece of paper towel, you want it moist, but not dripping. Then rub this paper towel on the threading for the back end.

This method won't work as well as the more thorough cleaning methods, but its quick/easy and you likely have everything already at home.

vapviking

Old & In the Way
Cleaning threads can help, but it could also be bad internals in the back end, or a weak (old) battery.
When cleaning threads, be sure to do the female threads inside the body where back end screws in. I usually use q-tip with light iso, but recently tried a small alcohol wipe (wound prep type) wrapped on the round end of a chopstick, swirling around inside. I got more oxidation off (Ti units are more prone to oxidation) than I had gotten with a q-tip.

I have also ordered a small bottle of De-oxit 100 to finally give it a whirl. We don't hear much about it these days, I think it's probably a great contact cleaner, and those back end threads are contact points.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07F8ZX2GD/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Back end is slightly less hot after cleaning with iso, but actual current is much improved. Before I was often getting red blink battery indicator, but a quick turn back and forth (of back end, not temp dial) would get me more hits. Now I'm not getting the red blink as often, and less flutter of the blue during use.

Vaporific

All who wander are not lost...
Somebody else here was also using a dental tool to deep clean the threads.
That’s me. I’ve been using wide interdental brushes to clean my Hopper for years. Cheap and plentiful, one lasts a while and I don’t care if I lose it somehow. I brush out the frontend and all threads regularly. Then ISO rub, Blu-Tac and De-oxit for occasional deep cleaning.

Does my pre-order Ti run hot? Not most of the time. Some frontend heat build up occasionally (I still use my Hopper natively sans silicone tip and any filtration); backend gets warm occasionally while draining a battery, usually the older ones and I think when batteries’ capacity diminishes it gets warm back there in general. Just my observations for nearly 4 years (except the yearlong RMA stint, lol). My Hopper is running well now though. Love my Hopper! :peace:

EDIT: I would not use anything metal to clean or pick the Hopper with. I think someone mentioned a fine dental poke or cleaner but that’s not what I use, only nylon brushes.

MonkeyTime

Cleaning threads can help, but it could also be bad internals in the back end, or a weak (old) battery.
When cleaning threads, be sure to do the female threads inside the body where back end screws in. I usually use q-tip with light iso, but recently tried a small alcohol wipe (wound prep type) wrapped on the round end of a chopstick, swirling around inside. I got more oxidation off (Ti units are more prone to oxidation) than I had gotten with a q-tip.

I have also ordered a small bottle of De-oxit 100 to finally give it a whirl. We don't hear much about it these days, I think it's probably a great contact cleaner, and those back end threads are contact points.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07F8ZX2GD/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Back end is slightly less hot after cleaning with iso, but actual current is much improved. Before I was often getting red blink battery indicator, but a quick turn back and forth (of back end, not temp dial) would get me more hits. Now I'm not getting the red blink as often, and less flutter of the blue during use.
I still use DeOxit on a few vapes including my GH's. They get it every 4-5 cleanings and I notice a difference when I don't use it for a while. I can never tell if it needs a cleaning or the battery is soon standard. Can't wait to get my @maxvapor710 power supply!

There were discussions about it being healthy or not, but I moved past that and only use it on the back end threads.

Tiny88

Deluxe420
@Hopper Labs

Anyone knows what is going on with current RMAs? Seems like Hopper Labs is devoting a lot of time to the IO, but what about those of us with the original model that still not working? Sent my unit in back in November, sent a request for status update Apr 22, and have gotten no response????

I would be totally into picking up the new IO, but Hopper Labs will need to up their game in terms of customer service and reliability of their old model before I give them more $$$ IMO.

SpaceManWalking

@Hopper Labs

Anyone knows what is going on with current RMAs? Seems like Hopper Labs is devoting a lot of time to the IO, but what about those of us with the original model that still not working? Sent my unit in back in November, sent a request for status update Apr 22, and have gotten no response????

I would be totally into picking up the new IO, but Hopper Labs will need to up their game in terms of customer service and reliability of their old model before I give them more $$$ IMO.

I have also had my Grasshopper in for service since November 2019. They said it February it would be 60 - 90 more days. I have been trying to get an update for the last three weeks with no reply at all. Someone in the 'IO' thread mentioned their IO stopped working and Hopper Labs responded to them immediately so that seems to point to where their focus is. It feels like they are just ignoring the RMAs because they already have our money and their isn't much we can do once they have the unit.

eideal852

!!
I have also had my Grasshopper in for service since November 2019. They said it February it would be 60 - 90 more days. I have been trying to get an update for the last three weeks with no reply at all. Someone in the 'IO' thread mentioned their IO stopped working and Hopper Labs responded to them immediately so that seems to point to where their focus is. It feels like they are just ignoring the RMAs because they already have our money and their isn't much we can do once they have the unit.
Yeah pretty bullshit.
Same boat, after waiting FOREVER to send my unit in for repair, I finally pulled the trigger and shipped summer of last year. ( theyd reduced turnaround time!!!!1!1)

and it was QUICK! diagnosed, repaired(?) juuuuust in time for the fire to completely screw me.

NOw I get responses sometimes, though they all just say, "wait" pretty much..
here is my response from GH yesterday:

"We are working away to get replacements but the Virus has us working in shifts with only a few people. Honestly, it is going to take awhile."

So. they just have another excuse for delay. I try to be understanding, but it's like that piece of shit friend that allllways has a reason they cant pay you back. -'cause reasons!! They ARE reasons... but holy hell, most people just dont have that many reasons!

I agree, once i started seeing all the IO talk, preorder! buy! selllll! I figured they must have some shit going; so @Hopper Labs why not GIVE ME MY HOPPER!!!!!!!!
:mad:

Tiny88

Deluxe420
@Hopper Labs

Yes, we all know that the world has been crazy since COVID-19, however most of us would appreciate some timely communication. I am a pretty patient person, if you had to reduce output due to social distancing or what not then just tell us... but not responding is what will piss off your customers!

Some of us have been with your since the beginning, we stuck with you through the ups and downs with the OG. Would be nice if we got the some respect and consideration.

As I said before, I would be more than willing to buy the new IO, but how Hopper Labs chose to move forward in terms of customer care and reliability of the current model will determine whether I will want to continue to do business with them. After all there are always new vapes coming out...

Tiny88

Deluxe420
One of the cardinal rules of a successful business...

"Acquiring a new customer can cost five times more than retaining an existing customer. Increasing customer retention by 5% can increase profits from 25-95%. The success rate of selling to a customer you already have is 60-70%, while the success rate of selling to a new customer is 5-20%."

Not rocket science.

disGRUNTled

Had not used the TI Grasshopper in a long time , its still kicking....
d096c481-663e-4e0e-80f7-905fe0b0328e.jpg

60ee8bab-f2ce-4fca-9fdf-d30ae83cac42.jpg

virtualpurple

Just to throw in to the other posts here, I’m also a member who sent their unit in November 2019 prior to the fire. I’ve posted here before wondering about the lapse in communication from Hopper labs, but I’ve also ordered a shirt and various accessories to help support hopper labs.
I relate to the other posters here who have received no updates or information. A little initiative and communication from hopper labs would go a long way here for many of us I’m sure, but until that happens I’m not sure I could see myself considering the IO, despite folks seeming to enjoy it.

vapviking

Old & In the Way
It's a shame. HL had built so much momentum and good will here in second half of 2019. After years of sparse social media, the return here was highly appreciated. The .io was supposed to rollout for the christmas season, then the fire, etc.
I suppose it still could be a comeback story, if the world would stop conspiring against HL's progress.

It must be frustrating and at times scary to run this company. I do wish @Hopper Labs all the best, wish he could open up here more, just the presence goes a long way. Sometimes all you really need to do is show up.

DonMarteng

This whole Thread keeps me very far away from buying a hopper or an IO.
Not that I dont believe that they are great devices when working, but all these people waiting 6 months or longer with 0 responses is just completely wrong. I love to support small businesses and great ideas, but some just seem to be doomed to fail due to bad management and wrong priorities.
Check out the TM guy in comparison, rocking his business mostly alone in the beginning, answering all questions within a few days, replacing faulty units without hesitation instantly, and meanwhile constantly improving his device and getting manufacturing time down from 4-8 weeks to just one. I know he has some shady past aswell, but thats a nice story of improvement.
Dear HL, please behave like a trustworthy company with normal customer support and a lot of people will start throwing money at you, but as of know id rather invest in an expensive pen and have that for longer :)

Top Bottom