Discontinued The Grasshopper

lazylathe

Almost there...
just a heads up: the IO has gold-plated threads. I wouldn't use a tartar scraper on it, but the problem of conduction dirt doesn't seem to be an issue because of the gold, so, carry on :tup:

Thanks bro!
They have used brass for the rear body threads this time.
The contacts in the backend have been gold-plated and are "self-cleaning" which should be interesting.

For brass a nice smooth rounded tip would do the same thing.
I would most likely look at small amalgum tools.

NOLOGO

Thanks bro!
They have used brass for the rear body threads this time.
The contacts in the backend have been gold-plated and are "self-cleaning" which should be interesting.

For brass a nice smooth rounded tip would do the same thing.
I would most likely look at small amalgum tools.
About that backend self cleaning contact: it has 3 raised notches. Those are what actually make contact on the negative end of the battery. So instead of the flat disc were used to there are now 3 tiny points of contact on there. I'm not sure how this will clean the contact, but maybe it's meant to clean the negative end of the batteries? Or maybe it just doesn't get tarnished now because it doesn't touch the battery the way it used to? I wanted to post about this in the io thread, but I think only like 5 of us have it so far. I'll email HL and see what they say.

lazylathe

Almost there...
Since the intense thread cleaning, battery install and backend closing and no removal at all, my Hopper has been pumping out vapor just like day 1!!
Still also using the mag charger connected to my PC to charge it.

Prior to the thread cleaning, it would always give me light issues...
Click on and straight to red, click off and lights still on, flashing red lights halfway through a bowl and my blue lights pretty much flickered all the time....BUT it always worked after a bit of a fiddle and battery change. 5 was the only heat setting that worked as well, so it did not get used very much at all.

Day 2 of the Hopper being my Daily Driver for most of the day and it is still perfect!
I can use it down to 3.5 on the dial although it is light vapor. 4 is acceptable and 4.5 is awesome now.
5 can actually taste a bit toasty for my liking at times now.
The lights are super stable now and I have not seen it flash red once.
The blue lights still flicker a bit but better than before.

A thorough, deep cleaning is required.
Way more than Blu-Tak could ever achieve as I tried for 30 minutes...
Make sure the threads on the body are perfectly clean from the bottom to the top, absolutely zero dark spots!
Then work with the Blu-Tak on the backend, do not use the dental tool as this metal is softer.

This has turned me back onto my Hopper!

david8613

Since the intense thread cleaning, battery install and backend closing and no removal at all, my Hopper has been pumping out vapor just like day 1!!
Still also using the mag charger connected to my PC to charge it.

Prior to the thread cleaning, it would always give me light issues...
Click on and straight to red, click off and lights still on, flashing red lights halfway through a bowl and my blue lights pretty much flickered all the time....BUT it always worked after a bit of a fiddle and battery change. 5 was the only heat setting that worked as well, so it did not get used very much at all.

Day 2 of the Hopper being my Daily Driver for most of the day and it is still perfect!
I can use it down to 3.5 on the dial although it is light vapor. 4 is acceptable and 4.5 is awesome now.
5 can actually taste a bit toasty for my liking at times now.
The lights are super stable now and I have not seen it flash red once.
The blue lights still flicker a bit but better than before.

A thorough, deep cleaning is required.
Way more than Blu-Tak could ever achieve as I tried for 30 minutes...
Make sure the threads on the body are perfectly clean from the bottom to the top, absolutely zero dark spots!
Then work with the Blu-Tak on the backend, do not use the dental tool as this metal is softer.

This has turned me back onto my Hopper!

When you say "thorough deep cleaning," what do you mean? I always just did blutac worked like a charm every time.

david8613,

lazylathe

Almost there...
When you say "thorough deep cleaning," what do you mean? I always just did blutac worked like a charm every time.

The Grasshopper

Just one page back.
After 3+ years of use some debris gets worked into the threads, you will see some black areas in the threads. All black stuff needs to be removed.
Could be just mine but worth a look if you are having any issues.

P.A.M.

Vapo Rising
i have always been intrigued by hoppers and am more and more wanting to try one . probably buy used although the io sounds promising .

V_for_Vaping

Wishing I’d hear back on my warranty status and my pre-order stainless steel case. I got an email that my hopper was fixed and ready to come back about a day or two before the fire. Now sitting here in limbo.

lazylathe

Almost there...
Day 6 of daily use and multiple loads and not one single issue!
I have not seen the red lights during a session. I do have the flickering blue lights but it has been like that since day one on my vape.
Still not removed the backend or changed the battery. Using the MAG charger.
Seems to be the ticket!

A 5 second preheat and this thing just rips!

Vey happy with my OG Hopper finally!
Owned since Feb of 2016 with zero RMA's, it's always just worked if a bit spotty at times.
Now it just feels brand new again!

vapviking

Old & In the Way
Has the original Grasshopper website closed down?
My browser won't connect, says there is a security risk(???)

vgoodiez has a new promotion on and I wanted to check the HL site's retail prices.

I'm quite concerned that we Grasshopper owners will be left in the dust -- been kinda feeling this for a long time based on customer service and continued product failures, now we see the new io set to eclipse the og.

While I do want HL to succeed with the product they dreamt about, I still feel on balance like THAT was the Grasshopper.

One of the biggest mistakes, imo, was/is the lifetime warranty. HL continues to make promises it can't keep, while (I believe) most of us would just prefer the baseline reality that hopper is a work in progress. It's not the money that I'm complaining about here. Heck, I would likely lease one (or subscribe!) if that were a choice, paying a monthly or annual fee to be assured I'd be happily hopping.

Many of you know by now my support has been there since the early days of pre-order and I've purchased (new) a total of 5 grasshoppers. Over 20 warranty requests in, I currently have 2 working grasshoppers and 2 in warranty limbo. The 5th one was given away years ago, failed within a month and remains unregistered in a drawer somewhere in Brooklyn.

ssrrosey

vgoodiez has a new promotion on and I wanted to check the HL site's retail prices.

I'm quite concerned that we Grasshopper owners will be left in the dust -- been kinda feeling this for a long time based on customer service and continued product failures, now we see the new io set to eclipse the og.

While I do want HL to succeed with the product they dreamt about, I still feel on balance like THAT was the Grasshopper.

One of the biggest mistakes, imo, was/is the lifetime warranty. HL continues to make promises it can't keep, while (I believe) most of us would just prefer the baseline reality that hopper is a work in progress. It's not the money that I'm complaining about here. Heck, I would likely lease one (or subscribe!) if that were a choice, paying a monthly or annual fee to be assured I'd be happily hopping.

Many of you know by now my support has been there since the early days of pre-order and I've purchased (new) a total of 5 grasshoppers. Over 20 warranty requests in, I currently have 2 working grasshoppers and 2 in warranty limbo. The 5th one was given away years ago, failed within a month and remains unregistered in a drawer somewhere in Brooklyn.
I noticed it a couple days back and had similar concerns but everything including rma history got shifted to the new site the hopperiO.com

vapviking

Old & In the Way
I noticed it a couple days back and had similar concerns but everything including rma history got shifted to the new site the hopperiO.com
Well, not everything. There are no Grasshoppers on the new site, for example, and no Grasshopper-specific accessories (front ends). So right now, if I were inclined, I could not order or purchase an og hopper from Hopper Labs.

A few weeks after the new site opened I took a look at my account and noticed that only about 1/2 of my warranty history was migrated (or visible). I emailed support and that was straightened out.
One of my registered grasshoppers has been dropped from the Your Hopper list, and 3 email requests over a couple of months have not resolved the issue.

But vgoodiez is selling ?pre-orders?!? of Grasshopper og ti at 25% off until tomorrow, and 20% off og hoppers thru April.

Mr. Me2

I understand your feelings @vapviking . But I also feel for ghl. 2 perfect examples are the fire and the pandemic.

I don’t want to discount or reopen their historical rma issues. But The gh does have a lifetime warranty and ghl is still here.

I think the real wait will be for new batteries. When they arrive and everyone is stocked my hope is a lot of people will be very happy.

We have both stuck through these bumps for a very long time. And the io seems like a legitimate upgrade.

My real hope is that ghl weathers all of its storms and comes out even stronger.

For me, I plan to hang in there. I just love my grasshoppers. Now about those batteries....

vapviking

Old & In the Way
My understanding is that these units did not come direct to Vgoodiez from Hopper Labs.
Well that's interesting...where on earth would a batch of og's surface, in a variety of colors and materials?

and thanks, @Mr. Me2 , I sometimes go on a bit of a rant and forget that the whole Grasshopper experience is a lesson in patience cleverly disguised as a vaporizer.
It helps when I remind myself that three of my og's only cost $135 each, money I kissed away on a risk taken over 4 years ago. I'm still hopping, so...

Edit;
So I cruised to HL og site and as y'all have pointed out, it's back up.
I did notice a price change, ti is at $295.00 and ss is $265.00. These are the same as new io's on the new site.
Who can posit an explanation for this? I'd like to think it's some sort of oversight.
And to add to the ?!?, color ti are (I believe unchanged) at $265.00.

Last edited:

Vaporific

All who wander are not lost...
Well that's interesting...where on earth would a batch of og's surface, in a variety of colors and materials?

and thanks, @Mr. Me2 , I sometimes go on a bit of a rant and forget that the whole Grasshopper experience is a lesson in patience cleverly disguised as a vaporizer.
It helps when I remind myself that three of my og's only cost $135 each, money I kissed away on a risk taken over 4 years ago. I'm still hopping, so...

Edit;
I did notice a price change, ti is at $295.00 and ss is $265.00. These are the same as new io's on the new site.
Who can posit an explanation for this? I'd like to think it's some sort of oversight.
I noticed the pricing observation too compared to the io. There is a 4/20 discount code running around for a very brief time which offsets the OG unit prices. I don’t recall the code but I think it was an HL marketing email. Or am I wrong?

Happy Humpday. :peace:

Vaporific,
Reactions: vapviking

NOLOGO

Edit;
my theory? The new io is a rebranding and upgraded model of THE GRASSHOPPER, and they will no longer be making the OG Grasshoppers.

After using my io for a while, I also thing one of the reasons they switched from red and blue lights to just white is for the "perception" of "instant on." It gets hot fast, but that's probably just because the evolution of the circuitry throughout the years. It's not up to full temp instantly. It ramps up quickly, like a second or 2, and it is basically unecessary to have 2 colors to indicate when it's up to temp since it's so fast. Also, if/when the time it takes to get up to temp (because of weak batts for instance) gets a bit longer, it is way less apparent when there's no color change that indicates it's reached it's target. I notice now, after using it for a few weeks, it sometimes takes a second longer than other times. Best not to highlight that anomoly.
Like I said, just my theories.

Top Bottom