• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

StemPod by MPL

asdf420

The coils have to be positioned perfectly, and still I'm not blown away by the performance, but sometimes it's been pretty good. I don't really have a cylinder thing to space out the clapton coils, would the inside of a pen work?

Maybe I would've been happier if I hadn't burnt the preinstalled coils.

I'd like something with a higher surface area heater to use at home - could've bought a Supreme

the iHeat's coil is neat, it's just a mesh made into a spiral. I think that'd be cool to DIY. Maybe with a custom base RDA thing, and the stempod body?

Last edited:

Hippie

A lot of the ecig guys wrap round drill bits and screwdrivers.

I've been trimming down lolly pop sticks to make oval coils.

Latest build is dual SS 26/32 Super Clapton (has .14 x 1mm ribbon wrapped around the clapton) 6.5 wrap coils that I wrapped round a 6x2mm stick which came out at .27ohms and works well at TCR240
There's a feint glow just starting at working temps, which it holds consistently with less battery drain than the last build. The flavour is really coming through with this build, taking a little longer to clear the bowl.

Vape Donkey 650

All vape, no smoke please.
A lot of the ecig guys wrap round drill bits and screwdrivers.

I've been trimming down lolly pop sticks to make oval coils.

Latest build is dual SS 26/32 Super Clapton (has .14 x 1mm ribbon wrapped around the clapton) 6.5 wrap coils that I wrapped round a 6x2mm stick which came out at .27ohms and works well at TCR240
There's a feint glow just starting at working temps, which it holds consistently with less battery drain than the last build. The flavour is really coming through with this build, taking a little longer to clear the bowl.

@Hippie Hip! Just as you were posting this up, I was testing & dry firing my first "successful" wraps with this same wire you recommended! :tup: I had tried some 7 & 6 wrap coils, but they failed :( from what I think was a lack of space between the loops, causing them to contact & short and get a major hot spot :doh: From my earlier dabbling in dabbing off @Accept's inception coils, I should have known better.

To give myself more space to fan out my coils so they don't contact, I tried a 5-wrap coil. You're right, the flavor is excellent on this type of wire, a little better than the stock notch coils that I'm upgrading from :p

You're offering some good ideas and inspiration, but sorely lacking in pics! :evil:
3ZVX6L1u_o.jpg

XmwPZMvz_o.jpg

3Ma7foBI_o.jpg

Not exactly symmetrical or 100% even, but it's getting the job done with perhaps a minor hot spot on one side of the stem, but not much.

I'm using TCR 245 with 60w and using 400-430F and and a slightly open 20-30% air throttle to compensate for my more wide-open, easy draw 18mm rig I tested this build with. With the single battery evic, it takes several seconds to warm up the coils, but it's making pretty nice vapor when it gets up there. I can overpower the coils to make it get too cool if I draw too hard, but it makes a nice thick vapor cloud if I take a more long, self-restricted draw. Excellent flavor! Taking a few more draws to finish the bowl than notch coils, cpu is getting a bit hot with a rapid session. :( (150F after 2 rapid, back-2-back bowls, close to 'device too hot') and my 3-year old ragged VTC5s are struggling to give me 3 bowls on this wrap. I could get 4-5 sessions on 1 charge with the old notcheys. :shrug:Not bad but not great. Switching my SP to one of my eleaf invokes (an excellent 2-cell mod, perhaps my favorite) and flashing it to sur_myevic is looking more attractive now :sherlock:

7iexb6LA_o.jpg

Final coil came in at around 0.163Ω, pretty damn stable with almost no flutter at rest. I also find it somewhat odd how the coil dropped from about 0.167-0.170Ω to .163-164 after test firing. :uhh: :huh:

The coils do glow slightly at temp, a mild-brown-orange, slightly red when over-shooting with no airflow. They took on a nice golden-brown-blueish tint after a few sessions now. This is making me want to make another attempt at a 6 wrap with this "super clapton" wire. With an extra wrap, maybe I can match or improve the vapor output of 5 wraps, with slightly less glow and a higher coil Ω, which could be a tiny bit easier on the battery....if I can manage to squeeze that longer coil in and fan it out just right to not contact-short out? Right?

@Hippie when you say 6.5 wrap (as in loops in the coil?) how would that be different from a 6 wrap or 7 wrap coil?

z51GoQ8e_o.jpg

AU5lADOJ_o.jpg

These were my failed 7-wraps. :( You can see how they contact between loops, which made very hot spots. Damn....at least I learned something from it. And with 15ft of this wire I can afford many more mistakes. :doh: Hippie is right too, this wire is springy AF, not very easy to work with, although this being my first attempt, I don't have anything to compare it to :D

11ryias.jpg
Made myself a wee blackwood stem for my stempod today, I love the glass stem that came with it but wanted to make a less breakable wooden stem for on the go also made it about 20mm shorter so it’s nice and portable. It doesn’t cool the vapor as well as the glass but only just noticeably hotter.

The stempod absolutely rips! It’s a beast of a vaporizer!! Extremely reasonable price as well, I’ve had it for a week now and I’m stoked with this purchase!

Wow that looks real nice, great match for the SP :cool:Nice work. Would you be willing to grind out some more of those and ship em out for people? I can see the vapor being a bit hotter but with the shorter stem, the portability & good looks can make up for that.

Or can anyone point me to some nice, wooden 18mm stems that aren't too long and cool vapor decently? I got a medium-length @funkyjunky tubo wood stem coming in too, looking forward to trying that. I have a short-length tubo wood stem but I find the vapor gets a bit too harsh unless I pair it with the extra-length long bent glass tube insert

I don't visualize how much space you have to build your coils on the deck. But starting with 22ga or even better possibly 20ga you should be able to build dual parallel coils that don't glow and end up just a golden color at the very most (usually due to the initial burn-in but if you skip it you might even end with shiny grey coils and no oxidation at all)

I re-did a build the other day on a much smaller RDA (using a clone of the Kennedy 24) and I used some 18ga wire and it was a pain. Resistance was way too low in the end, thick wire is hard to work with and you need too much of it to fit such a small space... but that was for a very small 24mm OD RDA, so maybe you got more room in the StemPod?

Do you think my 5-wrap super clapton has just a golden color up there? My pics aren't that great, it has a little more blue-ish color in the middle but more golden-tan / light brown under other light or viewing angles. It's tough to capture the color gradient in my cell phone pics.

The SP is a 25mm deck so we don't have much more space, but I feel I gotta get a 6-wrap build done right for my next build.

Anyone else feeling a need to rotate their mouthpiece mid session? I'm using about 30% airflow on either end of the inlets each session, turning the chamber through nearly 90 degrees mid session to use both the first 30% then the last 30% for a more even heat and extraction.

Do we have a list of compatible decks yet?
I'm thinking the Coil Father T RDA, Kennedy or the Geek Vape Tsunami may be compatible if anyone here has any of them to test for us.

Would love to have a play with side airflow and/or a more open 2 post deck so we could channel the airflow along the whole coil or mess around with mesh coils.

I'm relatively a newb when it comes to RDAs and looping wires. I look at tons of them when I browse through email spams from my favorite vape stores, but I actually own & handle very few of them, and I've never looked at them from a convection flower vaping / modding viewpoint. It seems like having the right side or bottom airflow tubes to match the SP sleeve will be key. And of course, matching the diameter also.

If any of you find some RDAs that work with the SP sleeve, I'd love to hear about it. Having something like an open, post-less deck with terminals on the floor could be very helpful for those bigger, loopier coil builds.

FWIW, I have a vandy vape pulse 24 RDA and the SP sleeve partially fits over it, but not all the way, so it would be 100% open air all the time, probably not good.

I am finding it good practice to rotate the stem about 90* after every 2-3 hits. This helps even out the very slight hot spot I get. Not really necessary with a little stir though. Either or both to help evenly vape that flower bowl.

-------

I also got my wooden stashpod last week, with a fresh 2-pair of Dan's new standard clapton wraps inside the stash-spot :tup: Very nice, solidly built, smooth stash box. It smells good. :) It is hella big though! My vtc mini with the SP screwed on and no stem attached is 1cm taller than the stashpod box. :( Might use it for travel still, will be great for the glass stem, basket screens and some ground flowers.

@Summer, keep up the great stempod / IG journalism for us non-social media-ing neophytes, :tinfoil: thanks!

My belated name suggestion for the 14mm reducer insert for the SP: the reducto-pod :mental: :rofl:

Last edited:

b0

Cloudy...
@Hippie Hip! Just as you were posting this up, I was testing & dry firing my first "successful" wraps with this same wire you recommended! :tup: I had tried some 7 & 6 wrap coils, but they failed :( from what I think was a lack of space between the loops, causing them to contact & short and get a major hot spot :doh: From my earlier dabbling in dabbing off @Accept's inception coils, I should have known better.

To give myself more space to fan out my coils so they don't contact, I tried a 5-wrap coil. You're right, the flavor is excellent on this type of wire, a little better than the stock notch coils that I'm upgrading from :p

You're offering some good ideas and inspiration, but sorely lacking in pics! :evil:
3ZVX6L1u_o.jpg

XmwPZMvz_o.jpg

3Ma7foBI_o.jpg

Not exactly symmetrical or 100% even, but it's getting the job done with perhaps a minor hot spot on one side of the stem, but not much.

I'm using TCR 245 with 60w and using 400-430F and and a slightly open 20-30% air throttle to compensate for my more wide-open, easy draw 18mm rig I tested this build with. With the single battery evic, it takes several seconds to warm up the coils, but it's making pretty nice vapor when it gets up there. I can overpower the coils to make it get too cool if I draw too hard, but it makes a nice thick vapor cloud if I take a more long, self-restricted draw. Excellent flavor! Taking a few more draws to finish the bowl than notch coils, cpu is getting a bit hot with a rapid session. :( (150F after 2 rapid, back-2-back bowls, close to 'device too hot') and my 3-year old ragged VTC5s are struggling to give me 3 bowls on this wrap. I could get 4-5 sessions on 1 charge with the old notcheys. :shrug:Not bad but not great. Switching my SP to one of my eleaf invokes (an excellent 2-cell mod, perhaps my favorite) and flashing it to sur_myevic is looking more attractive now :sherlock:

7iexb6LA_o.jpg

Final coil came in at around 0.163Ω, pretty damn stable with almost no flutter at rest. I also find it somewhat odd how the coil dropped from about 0.167-0.170Ω to .163-164 after test firing. :uhh: :huh:

The coils do glow slightly at temp, a mild-brown-orange, slightly red when over-shooting with no airflow. They took on a nice golden-brown-blueish tint after a few sessions now. This is making me want to make another attempt at a 6 wrap with this "super clapton" wire. With an extra wrap, maybe I can match or improve the vapor output of 5 wraps, with slightly less glow and a higher coil Ω, which could be a tiny bit easier on the battery....if I can manage to squeeze that longer coil in and fan it out just right to not contact-short out? Right?

@Hippie when you say 6.5 wrap (as in loops in the coil?) how would that be different from a 6 wrap or 7 wrap coil?

z51GoQ8e_o.jpg

AU5lADOJ_o.jpg

These were my failed 7-wraps. :( You can see how they contact between loops, which made very hot spots. Damn....at least I learned something from it. And with 15ft of this wire I can afford many more mistakes. :doh: Hippie is right too, this wire is springy AF, not very easy to work with, although this being my first attempt, I don't have anything to compare it to :D

Wow that looks real nice, great match for the SP :cool:Nice work. Would you be willing to grind out some more of those and ship em out for people? I can see the vapor being a bit hotter but with the shorter stem, the portability & good looks can make up for that.

Or can anyone point me to some nice, wooden 18mm stems that aren't too long and cool vapor decently? I got a medium-length @funkyjunky tubo wood stem coming in too, looking forward to trying that. I have a short-length tubo wood stem but I find the vapor gets a bit too harsh unless I pair it with the extra-length long bent glass tube insert

Do you think my 5-wrap super clapton has just a golden color up there? My pics aren't that great, it has a little more blue-ish color in the middle but more golden-tan / light brown under other light or viewing angles. It's tough to capture the color gradient in my cell phone pics.

The SP is a 25mm deck so we don't have much more space, but I feel I gotta get a 6-wrap build done right for my next build.

I'm relatively a newb when it comes to RDAs and looping wires. I look at tons of them when I browse through email spams from my favorite vape stores, but I actually own & handle very few of them, and I've never looked at them from a convection flower vaping / modding viewpoint. It seems like having the right side or bottom airflow tubes to match the SP sleeve will be key. And of course, matching the diameter also.

If any of you find some RDAs that work with the SP sleeve, I'd love to hear about it. Having something like an open, post-less deck with terminals on the floor could be very helpful for those bigger, loopier coil builds.

FWIW, I have a vandy vape pulse 24 RDA and the SP sleeve partially fits over it, but not all the way, so it would be 100% open air all the time, probably not good.

I am finding it good practice to rotate the stem about 90* after every 2-3 hits. This helps even out the very slight hot spot I get. Not really necessary with a little stir though. Either or both to help evenly vape that flower bowl.

-------

I also got my wooden stashpod last week, with a fresh 2-pair of Dan's new standard clapton wraps inside the stash-spot :tup: Very nice, solidly built, smooth stash box. It smells good. :) It is hella big though! My vtc mini with the SP screwed on and no stem attached is 1cm taller than the stashpod box. :( Might use it for travel still, will be great for the glass stem, basket screens and some ground flowers.

@Summer, keep up the great stempod / IG journalism for us non-social media-ing neophytes, :tinfoil: thanks!

My belated name suggestion for the 14mm reducer insert for the SP: the reducto-pod :mental: :rofl:

Thx for this post mate, loads of useful info!

I started testing my stem pod past night (in testing this and a splinter at the same time) will share my settings in a couple days after more testing

HerbieVonVapster

3ZVX6L1u_o.jpg

XmwPZMvz_o.jpg

3Ma7foBI_o.jpg

7iexb6LA_o.jpg

z51GoQ8e_o.jpg

AU5lADOJ_o.jpg

-------

Thanks lots of useful info in that post.
Seeing your luck decided to try out a super clapton build today. So far my favorite has been a hive coil. Decided try something different. Been using the remade coil with 5 wrap. Decided instead of cutting off the extra wire to do a extra wrap. Much easier since don't need to clip off the extra wire.
Only done a couple of hits but liking it so

EDIT done a couple stems with the 6 wrap super claptons. Got to say I'm liking this one even more than the hive coils.
I have one more new clapton stock coil so going add a extra loop with excess wire later see how that does.

For shits and giggles tossed it on the witcher. The mods doesn't do TC with it and gets really hot. So it's something really wouldn't recommend.

Since theres so few SBS that fit I decide least post a picture.
You need a heatsink to make it work The stempod bare just barely fits without the silicone cover. Would have sand a little of the mod off to fit silicone cover on.
2qxlumb.jpg

For wooden stem try @Alan he makes them for lil bud and his iheat. He's my go to guy and many other here for stems. Currently I'm waiting on a nice blackwood for the stempod. Here is a pic of one of his recent batch.

woodenroastingtubes.jpg

Last edited:

Hippie

Is it a bird? Is it a plane? Nooooo it's a golden SuperClapton :nod:
Very nice :tup:

Inspired by the shiny shiny coil pics, I just made a 4.5 wrap build with the same wire on the 6x2mm stick which came out at .21ohms that seems happy with TCR190 this time and a lower max wattage of 50W to cut down on the initial overshoot. Battery life is a little better again with power rarely going over 35W in use but I wouldn't expect a single battery mod to last long with this build either tho tbh. With the FJ firmware it works well putting it in cruse mode to warm up then going to manual temp control to save power between draws, or just cruisin :cool:. I'm not seeing any glow at temp and mod temps are only up to about 55 C on the Cuboid after a full cruise with a whip to watch the screen so I think I'm gonna keep this build on for further testing and have a look at putting sur_myevic on one of my Invokes too :science: Hoping it'll stop me looking at fancy DNA mods and put this bulky Cuboid back into retirement before the fire button fails completely as I don't think it's gonna last much longer.

Re. the wrap counting: a full wrap goes round 360 degrees so as the end wrap only goes 180 degrees round it's only half a turn, in my head, so I'd call your 5 wrap 4.5 wraps and your 7 would be 6.5.

HerbieVonVapster

Inspired by the shiny shiny coil pics, I just made a 4.5 wrap build with the same wire on the 6x2mm stick which came out at .21ohms that seems happy with TCR190 this time and a lower max wattage of 50W to cut down on the initial overshoot. Battery life is a little better again with power rarely going over 35W in use but I wouldn't expect a single battery mod to last long with this build either tho tbh. With the FJ firmware it works well putting it in cruse mode to warm up then going to manual temp control to save power between draws, or just cruisin :cool:. I'm not seeing any glow at temp and mod temps are only up to about 55 C on the Cuboid after a full cruise with a whip to watch the screen so I think I'm gonna keep this build on for further testing and have a look at putting sur_myevic on one of my Invokes too :science: Hoping it'll stop me looking at fancy DNA mods and put this bulky Cuboid back into retirement before the fire button fails completely as I don't think it's gonna last much longer.

Re. the wrap counting: a full wrap goes round 360 degrees so as the end wrap only goes 180 degrees round it's only half a turn, in my head, so I'd call your 5 wrap 4.5 wraps and your 7 would be 6.5.

Shiny coils but damn my stempod looks like it could use a good cleaning.

Messing around with the PID settings with the six wrap super clapton coil. I ended up just using the just the sweet setting in sur_evic with 50% boost. It's not showing the temperature spikes I was getting in pid settings and other settings.

Really one of the biggest differance with a DNA chip the temperature stay within a couple of degrees of what you set it at. Much more of smoother hit than a mod that has a lot of fluctuations in it's heat output.

HerbieVonVapster

@HerbieVonVapster How long does it take get that ammount herb dust around the coils ? Has anyone tried finer screens of double screens ?

Been enjoying my stempod for about 8 weeks. I use it mostly for travel and out & about. It get some home use playing with the coils.

Would say I have ran 2 or so ounces thru my stempod without cleaning it.

I have it on the DNA250c to do some testing today. I love the wismec sinuous p80 for travel, but the stempod really runs better on the DNA.

Guess it looks fairly good on it? I used a colored glass stem for picture and testing. Normally use a wood stem. The Stempod is going look so much better once I get my the blackwood stem.

Just a fyi the stempod is working in all my files now. Please msg me if you run into any issue or problem when using these settings.
142c744.jpg

sickmanfraud

I put a heatsink on my mod and all the resistance numbers are way higher.

Is that normal? Will higher resistance use more power from the mod? Hurt battery life?

sickmanfraud,

KeroZen

Chronic vapaholic
Ideally you would want to calibrate the mod + heatsink resistance, as it's basically a constant. This constant will parasite TC operation as the mod will only see the total resistance and expect that to change, whereas only the coil part of the resistance will really do.

You can enter that value inside a setting in AF and escribe, don't recall for the others whether they have it or not.

Apart from that the power going to your atty should be the same, that's what VW mode is for. On the other hand it will make your DC/DC converter operate at a different voltage and intensity. Seeing you likely have a very low resistance in the first place, it's not necessarily a bad thing.

Some output voltages and sub-ohm resistances will make the converter produce very high currents and those are responsible for the dreadful "device too hot" message. The FETs can only dissipate so much heat in those tiny devices.

But how much higher are you talking about? Good heatsinks (ideally pure copper) shouldn't add much. Is yours SS or aluminium by any chance?

jardri

Vapor Dreams
Hello gentlemen. I am leaning towards a Stempod for stealth on-demand vaping outdoors. I want to know if a total newbie in the modbox scene can get good results from this unit out of the box without having to make my own coils. Can you give me a little guidance?

Also i have a mod with 22 mm diameter will it fit?

KeroZen

Chronic vapaholic
Also i have a mod with 22 mm diameter will it fit?

Depends if there's something in the way (like the Pico) or if it's just 22mm sitting flat on the top (like ex: evic etc) in which way it will just overhang.

-

@sickmanfraud: I re-read my answer above and I think I was wrong in retrospect. When I say "the power going to your atty will be the same" it's partly wrong. The power getting to your atty will be the same only if you calibrate the heatsink out of the question. Otherwise the mod will see atty + heatsink as a single compound resistance, and part of that power will be dissipated as heat by the heastsink and will not contribute to heating your coils.

So in a way, unless you compensate by calibration or raising the output power, your atty will produce less Watts.

Cilleire

EuroVapeSim2
Been getting familiar with the stempod the last few days. It can really go from 0-100 super quick.

Still playing around with wattage mode mainly to get used to it's function. TC and all its acronyms are a bit daunting to me.

28m1hjt.jpg
Loving the stashpod as well.

HerbieVonVapster

Hello gentlemen. I am leaning towards a Stempod for stealth on-demand vaping outdoors. I want to know if a total newbie in the modbox scene can get good results from this unit out of the box without having to make my own coils. Can you give me a little guidance?

No need to make your own. The coil installed will work just fine.
The mod scene is more complicated but a with a little research and the help offered here. You be up and vaping in no time.

Check out these 2 threads ask question if unsure.

http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/w...nvection-510-vapes.25465/page-11#post-1303403

http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/tc-box-mods-firmware-discussions-and-customizing.23742/

AJS

Calm Consistency
It can really go from 0-100 super quick.
Yep!! Very impressive.

I tried high wattage lower airflow today and WOW does the vapor get thick through a bubbler. Honestly not ideal, while it looks pretty it can add an extra level of harshness because the vapor is just so thick. Can be great for flavor chasing though! Thick vapor not diluted by air, mm mm mmm! Maybe I'll lower the temp and get some thick vapor flaves.

Cilleire

EuroVapeSim2
Yep!! Very impressive.

I tried high wattage lower airflow today and WOW does the vapor get thick through a bubbler. Honestly not ideal, while it looks pretty it can add an extra level of harshness because the vapor is just so thick. Can be great for flavor chasing though! Thick vapor not diluted by air, mm mm mmm! Maybe I'll lower the temp and get some thick vapor flaves.

I've not gone above 50w myself. I combusted on my first day so I've been extra cautious.

Do you have any recommended settings? Im running the funkyjunk firmware on a Joyetech Evic Vtwo mini.

Im thinking of putting padding/foam in the stem slot of the stashpod to stop it moving around as much for transport in my bag, has anyone done something similar yet?

Cilleire,

fogbank

If your mod is too small, the atty will overhang. But some like the eLeaf Pico 75W (and others) have physical limitations preventing them from accepting large diameter attys altogether (I think the Pico is 22mm max for instance)

Depends if there's something in the way (like the Pico) or if it's just 22mm sitting flat on the top (like ex: evic etc) in which way it will just overhang.

I use a heat sink with my Eleaf Istick Pico 75W and the StemPod. Works great.

I would say that extraction is one of the strengths of the SP. It's pretty easy to combust with the SP if you're not careful with watts or temps. I've started messing around with TC mode using TCR, and I feel much more confident that I can prevent combustion, but it still requires some tweaking to get it dialed in.

But with that much heat available the SP extracts pretty darn well.

HerbieVonVapster

Ended up going back to a hive coil 6 wraps OHM's 2.1. The super clapton worked on lost vape. On the 1 battery wismec it was drawing too many watts. It was using 55-65 watts to maintain temps on a heavy draw.

The hive coil uses about 30-40 watts durning draw and 12w to maintain 380. It does glow a little more red than the claptons but not by much.

What do you guys think of glow color well maintaining 380? First one is shade second more normal lighting.

11uw5r8.jpg

xf4wgz.jpg

Vape Donkey 650

All vape, no smoke please.
coil of the month club? :huh: :lol:

I got a surprise email from "elite innovations" that my shipment of "#coilclub1" has been shipped. :hmm:

Hmm? Well I didn't buy any more coils from Dan, and I already got my stashpod with a complementary set of clapton wraps last week. When I got that email from "elite innovations" I didn't know what was going on, thinking did someone steal my CC or my identity? :tinfoil: But I didn't see any charges so I just let it slide and I got a stashpod a few days later. :D

So I guess "Elite Innovations" is the company that helps manufacture & market the Stempod for Dan? Nice.

But what's this coil of the month club all about? Will it be like the columbia house compact disc club, where we pay 10 bucks a year for unlimited coils delivered every month until MPL goes bankrupt? :D

Nah we don't want that. But mystery coils is pretty cool, I wonder if all stempodders have this coming? Or maybe just the pre-orders? Did I earn coil of the month club status just for posting some pics? :shrug: (thanks!)

Is it a bird? Is it a plane? Nooooo it's a golden SuperClapton :nod:
Very nice :tup:

Thanks again for recommending that super-clapton wire, I like it alot, even though I have little coil-looping experience to compare against. I think the way that it has a "standard" clapton with that big, flat ribbon wrapped around it, and it ends up with a heavy, thick feel with alot of mass, which helps for that powerful glow-free vape that some of us are seeking?

Still getting just 3 sessions on 1 battery stopping at around 3.5-3.6v with my "4.5 wrap" coil, thanks for clearing that up for me. I'm learning all this coil guy terminology now. Although I could sneak in 4 sesh if I pack the basket less and push the battery to the limit.

A 6x2 stick means it's a 2mm diameter circle 6mm long that you're wrapping your coil around? I had wrapped around a 3mm base, yet it ended up coming loose from that when installed in the deck. Idk if I'll have space for a "true" 6 wrap, with the leads terminating on the same side of the coil, maybe I can put 2 of these in the SP deck, with 2 leads for one 6 wrap in the upper holes, 2 leads for the other coil in the lower holes? :hmm: If not enough space, I'll try a 5.5 wrap for a higher resistance, hopefully better battery and ramp up.

I'm really liking the super clapton wrap I have now, only real problem is this hot spot I got on one side from an asymmetric coil. But I'm doing the AJS twist with cruise mode to even it out.

Shiny coils but damn my stempod looks like it could use a good cleaning.

Messing around with the PID settings with the six wrap super clapton coil. I ended up just using the just the sweet setting in sur_evic with 50% boost. It's not showing the temperature spikes I was getting in pid settings and other settings.

Really one of the biggest differance with a DNA chip the temperature stay within a couple of degrees of what you set it at. Much more of smoother hit than a mod that has a lot of fluctuations in it's heat output.

Just using the same tubo evic PID setting left over from stock, which worked well with notch coils, I was getting some temp overshoot with my super claptons as well, maybe 10-15F, but far from combustion at least.

Good suggestion on the 'sweet' algo, I used to use that on myevic for some old DTV3 donut attys that would TC wonky. Sweet algo would be the easiest way to tame a wild, bucking donut short of PID tuning it.

This super clapton wrap is alot more stable under the sweet algo. The PID control can surely do an even better job at TC, but only if properly tuned in. I don't have the time and batteries to do all that testing now, so sweet algo is fine for now.

Also, regarding the boost setting, I don't think that setting applies for the "off" (standard/stock) or "sweet" algo, it only applies on the PID or Boost algo settings, but I'm not sure 100%. I bet the myevic manual and KeroZen know

I bet the DNA does a great job with the SP and all sorts of attys on TC, but the more I learn, it seems like just a more user-friendly, better hardware version to achieve the same thing. And with AF, TFR, PID control, and actually knowing how to use it, I really think it's just achieving the same thing.

Although with escribe, it's still not that user-friendly for everyone? Also, for DNA chips / escribe to be lacking PID control is pretty weak, IMO.

Been enjoying my stempod for about 8 weeks. I use it mostly for travel and out & about. It get some home use playing with the coils.

Would say I have ran 2 or so ounces thru my stempod without cleaning it.

2 oz. vaped through your stempod in under 2 months? Vape fiend! lol :lol:j/k, :D I go through a few grams a week too but not quite that much. But I also vape a little concentrate, so that keeps my flowers down. You don't dab herbie?

No shame about all those dusty herb crumbs on your SP deck, that just means it's well used & seasoned. But for all the coil changes you've pulled (more than most?) you gotta admit it's hella easy to brush it clean when the deck is open! :D

I put a heatsink on my mod and all the resistance numbers are way higher.

Is that normal? Will higher resistance use more power from the mod? Hurt battery life?

I tried some cheap fasttech heatsinks that made some of my attys, (DTV3, smok X-baby tank) go "much higher" like 0.360 to 0.415, or from 0.725 to 0.981...that's way too much and I don't trust that. Rather than just having their own internal resistance, that would indicate to me it's actually getting more poor contact than without the heatsink. I didn't bother to try firing those atties with the heatsink, but I would expect it to make the TC act funny. I don't want to re-set my coil lock-in from 0.36 to 0.415 just for a heat sink.

Some of the exact same heat sinks from a multi-pack wouldn't affect the measured coil ohm at all on some of my other mods, so I ended up using those.

It was a VTC mini, some cuboid minis, and a cuboid that did throw off the coil with the heat sink alot.

A different cuboid, and an evic primo, an evic basic, a RX gen3 dual and some eleaf invokes I all have running with the heatsink, and the coil ohm doesn't change it all. I think it just has to do with some models, and a random amount of mods in general, having wonky / unreliable 510 connectors, some are built better than others. Some get damaged in use.

I've not gone above 50w myself. I combusted on my first day so I've been extra cautious.

Do you have any recommended settings? Im running the funkyjunk firmware on a Joyetech Evic Vtwo mini.

Unless you have the TCR, or the set temp way too high, or the coil ohm locked in too high, how are people combusting so ez?

Are you running in watts mode?

Please, people, don't run this thing in watts mode, you're missing out on so much! It's really not that hard to get a basic TCR setup going.

If you must watt it out, please be conservative? I'm sorry Evilevile, you kinda make the SP and the new claptons look bad abusing it with fixed 55w non-TC vaping :(

Besides that, nice to see you enjoying the SP, cillianeire! :nod:

Between Herbie and Dan, the recommended settings have been posted many times here.

Ended up going back to a hive coil 6 wraps OHM's 2.1. The super clapton worked on lost vape. On the 1 battery wismec it was drawing too many watts. It was using 55-65 watts to maintain temps on a heavy draw.

The hive coil uses about 30-40 watts durning draw and 12w to maintain 380. It does glow a little more red than the claptons but not by much.

What do you guys think of glow color well maintaining 380? First one is shade second more normal lighting.

11uw5r8.jpg

Nice work there, coils look nice and symmetrical. 5.5 wrap? I'm not familiar with all the different names and types of wires and wraps, so that's my first look at a "hive coil." It looks like it would be a little more pliable and easier to work with compared to the super claps.

As far as the glow, that's a little more bright than I'm going for @ vaping temps, but maybe others don't care as much. Also, unless you're blowing on it when you snapped that pic, it probably is less bright when it's actually being drawn on and producing vapor for you.

Last edited:

HerbieVonVapster

I got a surprise email from "elite innovations" that my shipment of "#coilclub1" has been shipped. :hmm:

Hmm? Well I didn't buy any more coils from Dan, and I already got my stashpod with a complementary set of clapton wraps last week. When I got that email from "elite innovations" I didn't know what was going on, thinking did someone steal my CC or my identity? :tinfoil: But I didn't see any charges so I just let it slide and I got a stashpod a few days later. :D

So I guess "Elite Innovations" is the company that helps manufacture & market the Stempod for Dan? Nice.

But what's this coil of the month club all about? Will it be like the columbia house compact disc club, where we pay 10 bucks a year for unlimited coils delivered every month until MPL goes bankrupt? :D

Nah we don't want that. But mystery coils is pretty cool, I wonder if all stempodders have this coming? Or maybe just the pre-orders? Did I earn coil of the month club status just for posting some pics? :shrug: (thanks!)

I ws wondering same thing when I got the email. Feel a little better now that someone else got it.

Great post by the way :). I just started winding the extra wire at ends instead if cutting it. Get a extra loop. I picked up a mad rabbit 316L wheel and have had alot fun with just that.

You can try a lot different coils and builds out without spending a ton of money.

Hippie

I've put a few layers of what I think is 300 mesh from my unidentified mesh stash sandwiched between 2 standard 20mm gauzes, today. It's added some restriction to the airflow and diffuses the heat from the top edge of my oval coils as I hoped, so the abv is looking more even with no hot spots in the bowl anymore.
Coils have gone a deep blue colour now after some usage.
With a new set of 30q batteries in the Cuboid I'm getting 5 and half 5min cruises or a couple more bowls in manual TC mode so 3 sessions from a single battery sounds about right.
There's plenty of room for quad coils in the post holes but won't that drain the battery power twice as quick?
I was thinking about cutting my next lolly stick 5mm wide by 2mm thick for better battery life, and to lower the top edge of the coil as it was scorching a little before I added the new gauze layers. I've got to find something else to cut down and wrap around tho really as it's a devil to slide the coils off the wood and making more work for me with the tweezers straightening them out and getting them to fire evenly.

Some mods let you adjust the resistance to compensate for the internal atomiser and heatsink so no doubt there'll be an option to do that somewhere in the myevic and AF firmwares.

TC is working well on my Invoke with stock firmware so fingers crossed there'll be a discount code for fasttech soon so I can try the sweet algo lol

Top Bottom