StemPod by MPL

fogbank

I put a heatsink on my mod and all the resistance numbers are way higher.

Is that normal? Will higher resistance use more power from the mod? Hurt battery life?

I can't say what's "normal", but I use a heat sink with my SP and my mod reads the stock Clapton coils at .24 Ohms at room temperature. I believe that is consistent with the resistance others have reported without using a heat sink.

I got a surprise email from "elite innovations" that my shipment of "#coilclub1" has been shipped. :hmm:

I got the same e-mail with a tracking number. I should receive it on Friday (9/7). When I first ordered the SP Dan said that if you contacted him he would send some extra coils with your order. I didn't receive any extra coils with my SP. I mentioned it to Dan and he sent me extra coils, albeit the notched coils that pre-dated the stock Clapton coils. I assumed that this "#coilclub1" shipment was extra Clapton coils (to replace the extra notched coils I received), but I don't know for sure. Either way I'm looking forward to the surprise!

Unless you have the TCR, or the set temp way too high, or the coil ohm locked in too high, how are people combusting so ez?

I combusted several times in VW mode, while trying to get the settings dialed in. I even combusted in TCR mode when I copied the AF settings that someone uploaded as an AF config file, but I set the temp at 380 C instead of 380 F. Unlike other on-demand convection vapes that I use (mostly Grasshopper now) the SP needs careful setup and attention paid to draw speed, external air intake, etc... Otherwise it's quite easy to combust. With the stock stem the herb in the basket screen sits right above the coils, with only a single screen between them. Even in TC mode using TCR I've been able to combust with temps set around 460 F. I think that since we're all experimenting with different settings that are meant for coils submerged in liquid, we are finding our way more by trial-and-error.

I recenty revisited the S&B dosing capsules and had some success in getting nice clouds without combustion. Unfortunately, of the 10 capsules that I purchased only about two seem to be usable. The others do not allow the cap to stay on without exerting significant pressure, then they are almost impossible to pry apart.

jardri

Vapor Dreams
Thanks to all of you in here I placed my order for a Stempod today. I had a ton of questions because I have never used a mod but thanks to the info here and in the mod firmware thread I am confident enough that I will get some kickass vapor from this thing soon enough.

I wanted something to replace my Milaana when out and about with more battery life and less glass and I discarded the Splinter because I live in Spain and any repair would cost me like a new unit (and I already have a Milaana which has very similar signature). Then I found this thread and it ticks all the right places for the use I want so I am very thankful for the unbiased information found here.

Will post some impressions once I get the hang of it!

Happy vapors

sickmanfraud

Last edited:
sickmanfraud,
Reactions: BigJr48

Hippie

Well, I have been playing with mine for a couple hours and I am guessing this one will end up in the drawer.

The learning curve wasn't too bad. Wattage mode was a flop as most people here warned. However, it did work and I could get darn good hits by pulsing at only 25 watts. Then, up to 30 watts. I combusted once from not pulsing.

Then, TCR mode. This is my first time ever using TCR mode so I am thinking there may be some user error involved. LOL

I have a bunch of TCR modes for Ti, Ni, SS, etc. And, M1, M2 and M3, whatever the fuck those are.

Anyway, I have TCR M1 mode set for 43 watts, 360F.

I still have to pulse to get the right hit. Is that expected with this device? I was hoping to just hold and vape. No?

I definitely don't like how you have to grab the atty to pull the stem out. I am holding the box mod and every time I go to pull out the stem, the atty comes apart. I am barely placing the stem in the atty so the O-ring just barely seals. I'm not cramming it way in or anything.

And, every time I pull the stem and re-fill, the air adjustment seems to get moved so I am constantly re-adjusting the air flow.

I like the silicone outer casing. I think wood is prettier but this really seems to be doing the trick so far.

Looks very well built, overall.

I TOTALLY love the wooden carrying case. Very nice. Very classy packaging.

The one single thing that will put this in the drawer is that you have to look at it while you're vaping to determine how much of a hit is coming through. Otherwise, it seems to combust pretty easily.

I tossed 2 other vapes that made me look 'cross-eyed' all the time just to use them. That gives me an eye ache and it out of the question for an every day vape, for me. So, unless I can overcome that one big hurdle, this one goes into the drawer next to all the others

Well, there's a first impression. I'll post more as I learn to use it a little better.

TNT_error

@Hackerman have you looked at your tcr value? Because it needs to be set with wattage, if it's not changed then performance will be off. Also I've found the SP works better without the o ring. Airflow should be half closed (well for me it is). Try drawing slower as well .Oh yeah which mod are you using?

TNT_error,
I believe the TCR value is TCR M1 mode set for 43 watts, 360F.

Man, this thing really stinks too. I burned off most of the smell but it still smells very "oily'.

I drained this Eleaf IStick Power in a hurry. I'll try one of my other mods.

Thanks

Hackerman,

ray_b

The "Coil of the Month Club" coils arrived in the mail today. They are "Clapton XL" coils; 7 wraps of 3 strands 28g wire wrapped with 36 gauge wire. They are 316L SS and fully TC compatible.

The included information states that the "Coil of the Month Club" will be free for three months for those that pre-ordered the StemPod. It will be continued thereafter on a yet to be determined subscription basis.

almost there

@Summer If you haven't gotten the heat sinks yet try these 2. First link is for a 24mm and the second link is for a 22mm. Both worked well without altering the resting resistance and they both were super cheap. I use the 24mm on the stempod and the 22mm with the splinter because the sizes fit the individual 510 bases without looking odd.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/24mm-Stainless-Steel-Finned-510-Thread-Heat-Sink-Adapter-For-All-510-Tanks/273181203117?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

https://www.ebay.com/itm/22mm-Stainless-Steel-Finned-Heat-Sink-Adapter-For-510-Thread-RDA-RBA-Tank-1/273142691551?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Well, this one made it to the "I'll never use it again" drawer in less than 24 hours.

The worst thing is the terrible smell. I burned it off when I got it because the smell was so terrible. I'm not paranoid about clean vapes so I almost never do a burn off or a pre-clean. This thing smelled up the entire room. Even my wife came in and said, "P.U., what are you smoking?" Now, 24 hours and 50 bowls later, it still stinks to high heaven.

And, I noticed late last night that I had developed my 'eye-ache' from looking down my nose cross-eyed to see if I was getting milk or not. Yeah, you can feel it in your throat without looking, sometimes. But, that's also how I combusted the few times I did.

I dialed in some awesome hits in TCR M1 mode. It's not like it didn't work for me.

Awesome vape. Incredible packaging. Very nicely made.

Gives me a sore throat, smells up the entire room and gives me an eye-ache...... into the drawer you go. LOL

The good news is... since everyone says this is like the Splinter, it saved me the trouble of waiting for one of those.

I flip on my Fury2. The temp is already there and is always just how I like it. I don't have to look at anything. It just treats me right. And..... it doesn't stink up the entire room.

LOL

Kudos to the peeps at MPL for super fast shipping and a great product. Just not for me. :)

P.U. I have it sitting next to me and I can smell it. :(

EDIT: I located the source of the smell. It's the black [silicone] stuff on the outer coating. Does that ever go away? I was curious where it was coming from so I alcohol cleaned the shell and that's when I noticed it. The wife 100% confirmed my finding. And her nose, knows. LOL

Last edited:
Hackerman,

jardri

Vapor Dreams
Well, this one made it to the "I'll never use it again" drawer in less than 24 hours.

The worst thing is the terrible smell. I burned it off when I got it because the smell was so terrible. I'm not paranoid about clean vapes so I almost never do a burn off or a pre-clean. This thing smelled up the entire room. Even my wife came in and said, "P.U., what are you smoking?" Now, 24 hours and 50 bowls later, it still stinks to high heaven.

And, I noticed late last night that I had developed my 'eye-ache' from looking down my nose cross-eyed to see if I was getting milk or not. Yeah, you can feel it in your throat without looking, sometimes. But, that's also how I combusted the few times I did.

I dialed in some awesome hits in TCR M1 mode. It's not like it didn't work for me.

Awesome vape. Incredible packaging. Very nicely made.

Gives me a sore throat, smells up the entire room and gives me an eye-ache...... into the drawer you go. LOL

The good news is... since everyone says this is like the Splinter, it saved me the trouble of waiting for one of those.

I flip on my Fury2. The temp is already there and is always just how I like it. I don't have to look at anything. It just treats me right. And..... it doesn't stink up the entire room.

LOL

Kudos to the peeps at MPL for super fast shipping and a great product. Just not for me. :)

P.U. I have it sitting next to me and I can smell it. :(

EDIT: I located the source of the smell. It's the black [silicone] stuff on the outer coating. Does that ever go away? I was curious where it was coming from so I alcohol cleaned the shell and that's when I noticed it. The wife 100% confirmed my finding. And her nose, knows. LOL
Try inserting the silicone in the oven at 230c for 30-40 minutes. It should cure the silicone and get rid of the smell. I had that exact issue with my falseFury lol.

KeroZen

Chronic vapaholic
Hope you didn't put alcohol on the silicone, it's usually not a good idea. Could try some dish washing liquid or soap. Some soak it in coconut oil too. I should cure, eventually... That being said I'm also super sensitive to silicone smell.

The Splinter has no silicone btw. Also glass lined heater, and that heater is more elaborate.

Are you able to taste the silicone in your vapor or is it just a smell from the sleeve when it gets hot?

No, I didn't get any on the outside. I just wiped it on the inside with a Q-Tip and some ISO 91%

At first I thought I could taste it but that wouldn't make sense since the silicone is on the outside and not in the vapor path. It was just the smell that made me 'taste' it.

I'll play with it a little more just to give it a fair chance but, I can usually tell right away if I am going to like something. Almost like tasting food the first time. LOL

I combusted again. 3rd time in 2 days. Not bad but it happens almost every time I don't pulse it.

Do you have to pulse this to make it work right?

Hackerman,
Reactions: KeroZen

KeroZen

Chronic vapaholic
Nope. As said by @TNT_error you are doing TCR wrong!

M1 and M3 are just 3 slots where you can enter a custom coefficient (vs the Ni/Ti/SS which are fixed presets) but they work the same. You are supposed to configure the M1 value before using it.

The correct value to use depends on the coils that you have installed. Try something between 190 and 260 for a start. And watch if your coils glow, ideally they shouldn't or at least only faintly.

So to sum up: 3 values to set, the TCR coefficient, the max power to get up to temperature (depends on your cell(s)) and the temperature to limit to.

I figured the M1 was just a slot. I set it to 43 watts, 360F (I assume your 190 to 260 is C).

I didn't see anything else to set.

My initial ohms were correct at (I think I recall) .25. It was within the range listed on the instructions that were included.

Hackerman,

KeroZen

Chronic vapaholic
There are some button combos that I forgot to edit the M1 to M3 values. Should be in your mod manual somewhere.... so, RTFM dude! :D

TNT_error

It's not a degree or watts that need to be set. That's after you put in the tcr value .Check the manual or online on how to get to that tcr screen.

TNT_error,

ray_b

I figured the M1 was just a slot. I set it to 43 watts, 360F (I assume your 190 to 260 is C).

I didn't see anything else to set.
You need to set the TCR value, I reread your previous post and you didn't mention it. I've been using TCR=275 with the Stempod factory clapton coils. I'm using 43 watts and 430F with a Modefined Lyra box mod.

OK, I'll check it out. Thanks again for pushing. ;)

EDIT: OK, guys.... again, can't say thanks enough for pushing. TCR was at 360. Now, at 275 it is working 10 zillion times better.

Still stinks like the south end of a horse walking north but.... we march forward onto success and fulfillment. LOL

Thanks again. I'll report more later.

Can't say it enough ;)

Last edited:
Top Bottom