Discontinued Lil' Bud by Vapwood

Abysmal Vapor

Supersniffer 2000 - robot fart detection device
I was doing some maintenance on the manufacturers list in the resource section and I noticed that vapwood.com is now offline. In the event that there are folks out there that still need support or to resolve any outstanding order issues, the furniture business that seemed to spring up on vapwood.com looks like it has been moved to:

I don't know if you'll get a response, but it seems like your best bet.
Whats more funny is that the bottom of the page says Vapwood 2017 and the Automated chat greeting is : ""Hi, confused on which vape is right for you. Drop us a quick line!""

el sargantano

This is the open source post made in order to help diyers as @Duba to tune correctly a battery gauge for the Lil Bud vaporizer from Vapwood, now discontinued. This is the method I followed and shared, but I'm confident my FC's friends can bring a helping hand to improve it. Who you gonna call?
It cames from my own experience trying to emulate the battery gauge shown in the original videos published in this same forum by @Bravesst , the Vapwood owner and the parallel iteration posted by @P.A.M. directly from his northern shed.
Anyone can check how much energy has your battery left by testing it into the plugged charger, but being outside home it gets tricky. Taking advantage of the battery compartment design being in the open side of the wooden box, the designer saw the potential to adapt the voltimeter and its pins to fit the exact dimensions of the battery.
First thing is the mini-voltimeter. The operating battery range we need for the Lil Bud to work properly is between 3.6V - 4.2V. Meaning 4.2V is a full charged Li-Ion battery and 3.6V not juice enough to heat the oven. Squeezing your bats further from that is gonna cut its lifetime.
I went to an electronics store and bought this one:
ML9KbAn.jpg

This one has a printed code on a side: 3631AS. Can it help? I don't know, means nothing to me.
Rz8zL4y.jpg

Later on I picked some cheaper ones from a chinese site. In several colours, but no one worked. Somewhere I read about different colours are related to different volt ranges, in example: red light in the 2V-10V range, blue 10V-20V, green from 20V to 30V. I need help on electronics because I have got no clue about but I want a replacement in different light colour.
I found another source that seems more professional: PRT 14313. Not cheap as the dhgate ones, but it's less than 2€. I didn't tried them yet, any reccomendations?
The good thing is the first one worked pretty well. Not perfect because I missed the 'fine calibration' nut you can turn to precisely adjust the actual readings. This means my gauge has a little higher reading than my plugged charger has. No big issue, but if you can get a voltimeter that has this calibration nut, you can improve the precision.
So in order to line the expensive minivoltimeter in wood I get some wooden edge rolls used to fix door frames and furniture. My method was influenced by digital design programs: this is working by layers. There are tons of different wood options to work with and since there's no need to isolate the vape path, this is an external device, you can use tropical, smelly, even toxic woods usually excluded from our typical and safer ones. Durability and aesthetics are the only issues here.
D3TyzaW.jpg

The first phase were 12 maple plies, the same construction of glued wood laminates to make skateboards. The only different thing was all the plies are facing the grain in the same direction. Adding more layers to cover the voltimeter is easier than scratching a solid wood block to fit something in. You have to count on the wires welded on the contact pins and the plastic box to hide.
oBCuKYI.jpg

After covering the meter I realized I had to protect the pins. If I throw it in a bag they can bend, so I need a little case. With magnets, of course. So I aligned them with the ones closing the battery compartment and made a little case. And the best thing of this case is it can be modded to accomodate 4 clean basket screens to swap when the one in use needs cleaning. Capsules are also welcome to fit, I just don't like them.
YJKY0C5.jpg

These magnets are aligned and glued BEFORE you sand and polish the CLOSED almost-finished gauge. And then just remains a final coat of beeswax and coco oil.
zUfqxIw.jpg

I crossed airports with the gauge and never had any comment. But seeming kind of a steampunk digital reader not so safe-paranoid freindly, I guess it's easy to demonstrate there's no risk to the rest of the passage involved, the alarming faces are at first guaranteed.
XFUBk4k.jpg

@Stu & mods: the penultimate photo with the basket screens appears on my preview, but not in the final post. Could you fix it? Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

Duba

Accessory Maker
Unfortunately, i broke the glass tube of the mouthpiece:(....so sad because i like this wood&glass combo!
Anyone knows where can i find a new one?
is it a 12mm or 11mm OD diameter?
thanks for helping

sydryherb

Unfortunately, i broke the glass tube of the mouthpiece:(....so sad because i like this wood&glass combo!
Anyone knows where can i find a new one?
is it a 12mm or 11mm OD diameter?
thanks for helping
Thankfully the glass tubes and mouthpieces have been made by Alan over at Toastytop for (as far as I know) the majority of the Lil Bud and Timber’s existence. If you or anybody else reading this would like to pick up spares, I have nothing but nice things to say about Mr. Alan, and he has replaced broken shipments of the glass liners for me before without question. This is likely the last standing form of conventional support available for owners of the Vapwood series, sadly.

Duba

Accessory Maker
I read in the past on the Lil'bud website (before becoming a furniture site) that it can be used with a 21700 battery (or 20700 i don't remind).
Have I dreamed? or Somebody tried this? with wich results? If possible, these batteries are supposed to give better results than the classics ones, such as more autonomy?

Duba,

BubbleDrop

I read in the past on the Lil'bud website (before becoming a furniture site) that it can be used with a 21700 battery (or 20700 i don't remind).
20700 and 21700 are slightly larger than 18650.
Those wouldn't fit the LB, would they ?

BubbleDrop,

Duba

Accessory Maker
Thankfully the glass tubes and mouthpieces have been made by Alan over at Toastytop for (as far as I know) the majority of the Lil Bud and Timber’s existence
Alan helped me and i received my new glass tubes yesterday!
Alan was very nice and answered my request by sending me a shorter tube for more security during my outdoor use.
In addition he offered me a 3 slit glass tube to experiment new way. It works well (a little bit restricted draw) and has the advantage that most of the particles stick to the end of the glass tube, which is not bad for my lungs....

Monk Debate

The monks do be debatin’
I am gutted to see that Vapwood has closed their doors. I bought one of the first Timbers and to this day I still consider it the finest vape I’ve ever used. It must be extremely difficult to be an artisan manufacturer in a market like this, judging by the amount of brilliant independent outfits that have come and gone. I will continue to use my Timber for as long as it cares to work. A true work of art.

P.A.M.

Vapo Rising
@Alan @P.A.M.

Have you heard anything from Mike?

Could ask him to take a look at this Forum and give these guys some answers.
Hey Odd, long time! I haven’t heard of Mike , you guys knows more then I do, the whole ghosting and furniture website is news to me. I haven’t been active here much if at all since getting my Square HI (which I originally called the Square Log when I mentioned the idea to Alan. ) Those of you of followed me or vapwoods threads know I original was a proud supporter of Mike at first , as things went on (around Timber release) I started questioning Mike’s approach , quality control , designs, answers , etc. I questioned it publicly on the forum. Was a piss off , I had spent a great deal helping other forum members answering questions about his vape . My dissatisfaction towards Mike is surely in my posting history if one looks into it.

Heating coils weren’t as precise as once were, when people posted issues here Mike never blamed the Vape instead suggested it was user error or material not dried like suppose to , every minor design change such as 1/16” vent hole was said to make huge differences over previous model ,etc. I posted pic of misshaped heating coil from Timber , called him out for trying to tell us how to dry our herb and vape , you don’t hear other vape manufacturers constantly telling people to dry herb a certain way . Besides if your product is that finicky , work on bettering your current model instead of trying to come out with a new model every 6months as he was doing with the LB , LB Elite , Timber (which was basically the LB Elite shaped differently) . Mike was trying to tell us it was so much better then the Elite yet it’s essentially the same vape. Having the heater on top vs beside battery didn’t make it cooler by awhole lot. Not when you’re a power toker lol Personally prefer my Elite over Timber .
I don’t recall where or how else Mike was shady during the last bit but I do recall feeling my ideas, comments , opinion, etc did not seem to be valued much by him, let alone the time , effort , insults, threats I faced from the rbt-vapwood feud saga I took just for supporting the guy and making videos of his vape.
I’m sorry to read that a few got ripped off by the sounds of it, I wouldn’t have expected that from a guy who originally wanted to offer better quality control then Maytag.

glad to see this forum/community still kicking ! You all need a moderator with an attitude let me know loll I tell it like it is !

Vape on!

VapeEnthusiast

Troy's Army
My dissatisfaction towards Mike is surely in my posting history if one looks into it.

Yeah, I used to think that there was a 50%+ chance that you were just being a PITA but it definitely doesn't look that way in perspective now 😉

VapeEnthusiast,
  • Haha
Reactions: cpk

Monk Debate

The monks do be debatin’
Hey Odd, long time! I haven’t heard of Mike , you guys knows more then I do, the whole ghosting and furniture website is news to me. I haven’t been active here much if at all since getting my Square HI (which I originally called the Square Log when I mentioned the idea to Alan. ) Those of you of followed me or vapwoods threads know I original was a proud supporter of Mike at first , as things went on (around Timber release) I started questioning Mike’s approach , quality control , designs, answers , etc. I questioned it publicly on the forum. Was a piss off , I had spent a great deal helping other forum members answering questions about his vape . My dissatisfaction towards Mike is surely in my posting history if one looks into it.

Heating coils weren’t as precise as once were, when people posted issues here Mike never blamed the Vape instead suggested it was user error or material not dried like suppose to , every minor design change such as 1/16” vent hole was said to make huge differences over previous model ,etc. I posted pic of misshaped heating coil from Timber , called him out for trying to tell us how to dry our herb and vape , you don’t hear other vape manufacturers constantly telling people to dry herb a certain way . Besides if your product is that finicky , work on bettering your current model instead of trying to come out with a new model every 6months as he was doing with the LB , LB Elite , Timber (which was basically the LB Elite shaped differently) . Mike was trying to tell us it was so much better then the Elite yet it’s essentially the same vape. Having the heater on top vs beside battery didn’t make it cooler by awhole lot. Not when you’re a power toker lol Personally prefer my Elite over Timber .
I don’t recall where or how else Mike was shady during the last bit but I do recall feeling my ideas, comments , opinion, etc did not seem to be valued much by him, let alone the time , effort , insults, threats I faced from the rbt-vapwood feud saga I took just for supporting the guy and making videos of his vape.
I’m sorry to read that a few got ripped off by the sounds of it, I wouldn’t have expected that from a guy who originally wanted to offer better quality control then Maytag.

glad to see this forum/community still kicking ! You all need a moderator with an attitude let me know loll I tell it like it is !

Vape on!

It is a shame what happened, because I think Mike was really on to something with integrating a DNA board into a custom artisanal shell. The LBE and Timber are IMO a cut above any 510 mod based vape because you’re taking the mod out of the equation. Most DNA box mods are mass produced garbage that are way too expensive. Having the DNA chip integrated into the same body as the heater was so much more convenient and reliable.

SpudBob

It is a shame what happened, because I think Mike was really on to something with integrating a DNA board into a custom artisanal shell. The LBE and Timber are IMO a cut above any 510 mod based vape because you’re taking the mod out of the equation. Most DNA box mods are mass produced garbage that are way too expensive. Having the DNA chip integrated into the same body as the heater was so much more convenient and reliable.
I, like some others, have been otta touch with the forum for a while. I will not defend Mike as I dont know all the info but he did make a decent vape for awhile . I have one of his original LB's and it still works great. I dont use it all that often, or most of my other vapes, though as my Square HI is my 90% go to and has been for awhile (thanks Alan). Hope Mike, eventually, sees the light and makes good to whomever he took advantage of. Peace out!

SpudBob,
Reactions: RUDE BOY

Duba

Accessory Maker
I have one of his original LB's and it still works great
I am gutted to see that Vapwood has closed their doors. I bought one of the first Timbers and to this day I still consider it the finest vape I’ve ever used.
Anyone here know or can help to know how many Lil'budClassics were made by Vapwood?
I own once in second hand and i'm still impressed by the product. I feel privileged and lucky to own such an object, even more so if only a few units have left the workshop.
It seems to me that the LBClassic started to be sold in february 2018 and everything stopped at the beginning of 2020, that's not much more than 2 years of production.
How many units could be made in that time?
I'm really curious to know how lucky I am...
Maybe @Alan have infos about that?

SpudBob

The battery gauge was the perfect item to complement the vape device.
It told you how much juice your battery had in a bare second. In that time you're able to dismarm the battery cover and put the contacts in place for the gauge to read. It was another ingredient to put the Lil Bud over its very competitors in the same vape niche.
It was on stock for some time, until @Bravesst decide not to sell it anymore. Don't know why...
The better battery access of the Lil Bud (comparing to RBT's, ie) allowed this item for a quick battery check and was another factor to count on the clear superiority this vape design has.
The heater (that came from @Alan headquarters) eats 1/6 of the full battery every bowl you get, but with the easyness and simplicity of the magnetic battery cover and the exact same magnets on the gauge, the battery check is made in the blink of an eye.
I reccomend everyone who has the patience to made it himself. I did and it still works perfectly. For two years, by the way.
If anyone wants one I can do some, but I think it'll be a waste of resources to send it overseas...
I would guess a couple hundred at most-maybe less. P.A.M. or Alan may know better as they had more contact with Mike.

Duba

Accessory Maker
I would guess a couple hundred at most-maybe less. P.A.M. or Alan may know better as they had more contact with Mike.

@Alan @P.A.M. : are you able to help us? Thanks.
I read the beginning of the thread about the origin of the LB, the coil and the collaboration between Alan and Mike to create this vape.
Alan, thank you man, it looks like you've shared your expertise and know-how in developing this all-wood vape and especially the coil (which works wonderfully). The whole thing is really very consistent, reliable and effective. The roasting tube is lovely and added to the glass tube, it gives me the right sensation! Your explanation (page 3) was very instructive!

BakedDiogenes

it is a shame some were left with a bad taste due to poor CS. However, I picked this beauty up on the classifieds courtesy of @Baked-not-fried
Knowing beforehand that the heater was essentially the same as my iHeat, I knew I’d want to try it. It doesn’t heat quite as evenly, but everything else is fairly identical.
Paired it today with a Blackwood stem with the 3-slit glass insert from @Alan. Placed an order for a couple more stems to better match and give me some variety.

Alan

Master JedHI
Manufacturer
@Alan @P.A.M. : are you able to help us? Thanks.
I read the beginning of the thread about the origin of the LB, the coil and the collaboration between Alan and Mike to create this vape.
Alan, thank you man, it looks like you've shared your expertise and know-how in developing this all-wood vape and especially the coil (which works wonderfully). The whole thing is really very consistent, reliable and effective. The roasting tube is lovely and added to the glass tube, it gives me the right sensation! Your explanation (page 3) was very instructive!
I would guess that there were a couple of hundred of the classic LB's made based on the number of roasting tubes I made for Mike.

@BakedDiogenes - Glad the roasting tubes arrived safely. Thanks for posting the photos.

Razhumikin

After months of admiring the pictures on this thread, I was able to pick up an original Lil Bud and a Lil Bud Elite from the classifieds (Thanks @madhockeydad!). Can anyone confirm if RBT stems will work with this device? In what ways is the manual Lil bud similar to a milaana, and how does it differ? For the Elite, is temp control and option or is it all wattage? Thanks, and I cant wait to get my hands on these and play around with them!

Razhumikin,
Reactions: Ripstar
Top Bottom