coolbreeze

I way prefer the look of the the random pattern to the new machined style! glad I got a couple before they changed it.
Me too. It's not bad, just oddly formal. The old one looks like vapor.
My Helix Tip hasn't been getting the love it deserves lately. To change that, I treated it to a Perforated Cap. It arrived today, and visually, the Cap is a bit... unusual? The perforation seems pretty random (though I'm sure there are hundreds of years of research behind it) and the overall appearance is quite wild:

It's also interesting that the Perforated Cap looks quite different on the Dynavap website.

My digger outer is marked with the year 2023 - has the design been changed in recent months?
Yes, this appears to be the new version with this sale.
Well, whatever, who cares about appearances, it's the inner values that count - and that's where the Perforated Cap shines. The extra airflow is great and really makes a difference, especially in combination with the Helix Tip. I'm a fan of open airflow in general, and the Perforated Cap definitely delivers.
Same for me, what a great combo.
So yeah, I'm satisfied and confident that the Helix and I will be going on dates again more often. :brow:
@coolbreeze How many heat cycles are you needing to fully extract in the Hyper? I presumed it would be like the old Dynas I used to use, but realised it might not be the case. If you heat lower on the cap, can you fully extract the bowl in a cycle or two?
You can fully extract in a heating or two. To be honest I'm not sure I've stretched it to three. If I aim low and heat a little extra slowly it's more or less done in one. Otherwise you can get two big comparable heats and be done. The mass doesn't really seem huge but it does hold the heat pretty well, and then it cools pretty quickly. I know it's a big load, but it does hit hard,

Last edited:

SmokeyDope

Herbal Engineer
It arrived today, and visually, the Cap is a bit... unusual? The perforation seems pretty random (though I'm sure there are hundreds of years of research behind it) and the overall appearance is quite wild:

It's also interesting that the Perforated Cap looks quite different on the Dynavap website.
Well to be honest that perforation does look kind of whack especially compared to the neat and uniform one that was advertised on the website. If got this I would think its some kind of defect and contact dynas QA. Even if it works well enough you dont want to bother returning it they may offer a discount on something you want. Like you say performance is what's most important but that's not a pretty preforation job for sure.

Last edited:
SmokeyDope,

Gdash

Well to be honest that perforation does look kind of whack especially compared to the neat and uniform one that was advertised on the website. If got this I would think its some kind of defect and contact dynas QA. Even if it works well enough you dont want to bother returning it they may offer a discount on something you want. Like you say performance is what's most important but that's not a pretty preforation job for sure.

The one he has is the "wheat" perforated cap that was their previous version. The one currently on the site is new. There isn't any defect with it, it's just the design they chose and it had the correct picture when it was available. If he ordered it recently from the DV site then it's old stock and if he wants he can contact CS if it's not what he ordered, but they are different.

Last edited:

El Duderino

The Dude abides.

The one he has is the "wheat" perforated cap that was their previous version. The one currently on the site is new. There isn't any defect with it, it's just the design they chose and it had the correct picture when it was available. If he ordered it recently from the DV site then it's old stock and if he wants he can contact CS if it's not what he ordered, but they are different.

I’m sorry for the confusion. I didn’t order from the DV site but from a local seller (who also had the correct pic on their website).

pomogirl

I just saw the new perforated cap. It looks way more uniform for George's liking. I like the uniqueness of the old style, though.

I like the look of the Hyperdyne, and Troy and Jerry seem to like its Dyna signature mostly-conduction vapor. But am I just wanting what Vapvana suggested last week? The Espresso Machine of vapes where I can just push a button, and voila! I'm medicated. I'm just so drawn to the naughty aspects of Dyna puffing. It would have been so forbidden to me growing up, and now I can't stop collecting them. The hot hunks of metal caps are its downfall for me, but the Hyperdyne cap is Ti and thus faster to cool.

Anyway, my mother-in-law may be ready to try a Dynavap. She's currently a bong combuster and former smoker. Is there anything I should avoid when I show her what to do with it?

pomogirl,

186°

Just weighing in on the espresso machine comparison (who said that, when?): I don't want and don't have an espresso machine where I just push one button – that's exactly what I do not want. I want a machine where I can take things into my own hands. I grind the beans (by hand) to a size I like and tamper it regarding to that. I start the machine, I stop the machine, no automation. If I could, I would also like to have the power over pressure (anyway I'm super happy with my standard setting) but I can regulate a lot by the particle size of the ground coffee. My machine is nothing luxurious. It does what it should do, it just works and makes excellent coffee without any trouble. I love to get a feeling for the principle working mechanisms (of my espresso machine and my vapes and more) and I'm learning the most when I'm using them "manually". And yeah, I say "manually", even though my espresso machine isn't butane powered like a good old Bialetti :D

Last edited:

RedZep

Just weighing in on the espresso machine comparison (who said that, when?): I don't want and don't have a espresso machine where I just push one button – that's exactly what I do not want. I want a machine where I can take things into my own hands. I grind the beans (by hand) to a size I like and tamper it regarding to that. I start the machine, I stop the machine, no automation. If I could, I would also like to have the power over pressure (anyway I'm super happy with my standard setting) but I can regulate a lot by the particle size of the ground coffee. My machine is nothing luxurious. It does what it should do, it just works and makes excellent coffee without any trouble. I love to get a feeling for the principle working mechanisms (of my espresso machine and my vapes and more) and I'm learning the most when I'm using them "manually". And yeah, I say "manually", even though my espresso machine isn't butane powered like a good old Bialetti :D
Interesting. I want both. In terms of coffee I have one of those one button capsule Nespresso machines, and I also have a good hand grinder, V60 and Aeropress. Sometimes I want no fuss consistency, sometimes I want to tinker.

Same with my vapes. My ZX is my instant espresso machine. Instant, consistent results with no effort at all. Then I have butane vapes, and brick vapes. The variance in the latter types is pleasant. Because it doesn't always give the best results, when it does it is rewarding to the brain. In the same way gambling can become addictive to people. These vapes also tend to have more of a ritualistic aspect.

I'll always have place for fiddly tinkering in both these hobbies.

Last edited:

budski

cantre member
glad you got a deal,,, sad you can't anymore!
I've got a hyper on the way, looks like I'll be able to get a dozen or so hits out of a bowl, (I do small hits)
anybody tried the cap's? I'm hoping for a "loose herb free" portable experience.

Last edited:
budski,

coolbreeze

glad you got a deal,,, sad you can't anymore!
I've got a hyper on the way, looks like I'll be able to get a dozen or so hits out of a bowl, (I do small hits)
anybody tried the cap's? I'm hoping for a "loose herb free" portable experience.
I've tried it without the top on, the flavor was really good.

I just saw the new perforated cap. It looks way more uniform for George's liking. I like the uniqueness of the old style, though.

I like the look of the Hyperdyne, and Troy and Jerry seem to like its Dyna signature mostly-conduction vapor. But am I just wanting what Vapvana suggested last week? The Espresso Machine of vapes where I can just push a button, and voila! I'm medicated. I'm just so drawn to the naughty aspects of Dyna puffing. It would have been so forbidden to me growing up, and now I can't stop collecting them. The hot hunks of metal caps are its downfall for me, but the Hyperdyne cap is Ti and thus faster to cool.

Anyway, my mother-in-law may be ready to try a Dynavap. She's currently a bong combuster and former smoker. Is there anything I should avoid when I show her what to do with it?
The biggest problems people have are heating too fast and not waiting for the cooldown clicks. If you heat to fast you get whispy results leaving you to count past the clicks and all kinds of nutty activities to make up for it. It's frustrating enough for people to quit, but it's really not hard at all to get excellent results at the clicks. Having a stash or stand with a magnet and disciplining yourself to set it down after each hit will eliminate almost all combustions. Manage these factors and she will likely love her DV!

Last edited:

VapingYogi

Pranayama; of a sort.
The biggest problems people have are heating too fast and not waiting for the cooldown clicks. If you heat to fast you get whispy results leaving you to count past the clicks and all kinds of nutty activities to make up for it. It's frustrating enough for people to quit, but it's really not hard at all to get excellent results at the clicks. Having a stash or stand with a magnet and disciplining yourself to set it down after each hit will eliminate almost all combustions. Manage these factors and she will likely love her DV!
I actually don't let it click, its just nicer that way.

I heat for a few seconds with the double flame and hit it. I keep doing that over and over again, as the vapour disappears I do my little heat again. I slowly add layers of heat; over multiple heats... and it rarely clicks but if it does its not until the 4th or 5th time I heat it up.

With modified MTL hits I end up riding the same bowl for several minutes.

coolbreeze

I actually don't let it click, its just nicer that way.

I heat for a few seconds with the double flame and hit it. I keep doing that over and over again, as the vapour disappears I do my little heat again. I slowly add layers of heat; over multiple heats... and it rarely clicks but if it does its not until the 4th or 5th time I heat it up.

With modified MTL hits I end up riding the same bowl for several minutes.
Intriguing...I'm gonna have to try this with the Hyper.

coolbreeze,

entirely_foreign

Hey y'all, hoping the brain trust can help me. I have an old nonavong with an extended condenser and mouthpiece (XLS I believe it was called).

Image here: https://lacentralevapeur.com/7189-thickbox_default/nonavong-xls-darkwood.jpg

I haven't done anything different to it, but after the last time I cleaned it, the mouthpiece and condenser assembly has started falling out. The whole thing just slides out. Has anyone had this issue or have any ideas on how to fix? Might be the wood slowly changing shape (vape is from 2018). My ideas for a fix so far are to get a new set of interior o-rings and to use a different finish on the wood. I used to use dreamwood's wood wax, but it's gotten old and is sticky and gummy now. Used mineral oil this last time instead (tho the problem started happening before mineral oil). Would like to get some ideas before I start buying random accessories. Thanks so much!

coolbreeze

Hey y'all, hoping the brain trust can help me. I have an old nonavong with an extended condenser and mouthpiece (XLS I believe it was called).

Image here: https://lacentralevapeur.com/7189-thickbox_default/nonavong-xls-darkwood.jpg

I haven't done anything different to it, but after the last time I cleaned it, the mouthpiece and condenser assembly has started falling out. The whole thing just slides out. Has anyone had this issue or have any ideas on how to fix? Might be the wood slowly changing shape (vape is from 2018). My ideas for a fix so far are to get a new set of interior o-rings and to use a different finish on the wood. I used to use dreamwood's wood wax, but it's gotten old and is sticky and gummy now. Used mineral oil this last time instead (tho the problem started happening before mineral oil). Would like to get some ideas before I start buying random accessories. Thanks so much!
It sounds like humidity issues, maybe its gotten drier than you've realized? But bigger o-rings should work. People used to wind some unwaxed thread or floss in the o-ring groove on the tip's neck (or condenser in this case) and replace the o-ring to tighten it up a bit.

Hippie

Check you've got the x rings in the right place as they're not all the same size
See here for correct placement
If the wood has shrunk, a large x ring may be a better fit in the middle of the condenser

entirely_foreign

Check you've got the x rings in the right place as they're not all the same size
See here for correct placement
If the wood has shrunk, a large x ring may be a better fit in the middle of the condenser

🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

Last edited:
entirely_foreign,

entirely_foreign

It sounds like humidity issues, maybe its gotten drier than you've realized? But bigger o-rings should work. People used to wind some unwaxed thread or floss in the o-ring groove on the tip's neck (or condenser in this case) and replace the o-ring to tighten it up a bit.

I left the vape alone for a while, so it's very possible that it dried out. I'll try the thread/floss idea, that's a cool solution

entirely_foreign,
Reactions: coolbreeze

SmokeyDope

Herbal Engineer
Is it possible to rehydrate the wood and make it swell back up a little? I know its possible to impregnate wood with resin so maybe throwing it in a water bath or a really steamy room will put some moisture back in it. Take a few showers with the air vents off and door closed with the novavong on the sink?

Idk though from my experience with fire wood once wood has properly dried and seasoned it likes to stay that way.

Last edited:
SmokeyDope,

coolbreeze

Ti M+ tip is perfect for the Vong. Its roast is aggressive enough be a one-hitter but without much flavor degradation or risk of scorching. Hope they'll put it into wider production!
IMG-8796.jpg
IMG-8793.jpg

budski

cantre member
hyperdyn is more restrictive than I expected, 86'd the condenser and stuck a shorty spiral out the mouthpiece. way mo betta, great flavor, gets hot though, gonna isolate the bowl-stem with some thing, will report back,
ps wand only
pps making the reverse of the vent divot feel exactly the same as the vent hole side, is stupid;, it's why I don't like the woodwynd body, and love the '21s

Last edited:
Top Bottom