Crafty/Crafty+ by Storz & Bickel

vapviking

Old & In the Way
I was able to put SN it in the iOS app the initial time and when I try to reconnect it, it remembers the new serial number, it just can’t find it.
On the Android, I type in the sn and it does nothing and doesn’t remember it.
It’s as if the Bluetooth was turned off of the Crafty right after it originally recognized it.
I thought you might get a new one!
Maybe try a hard reset? From off, hold the button for about 10-12 seconds until a the lights do a brief pattern.

Kins

I thought you might get a new one!
Maybe try a hard reset? From off, hold the button for about 10-12 seconds until a the lights do a brief pattern.

That's the ticket!. I have done that a few times but I forgot about how to do it. Here is a copy and paste from the manual to better assist.

8.6 Reset to Default Settings
Settings which you have changed via
the Storz & Bickel App can be reset as
follows:
X Switch on the Vaporizer.
X Press the ON/OFF switch for 10 seconds. The reset is acknowledged by
the following running lights: red/
green/blue/red/green/blue/red/
green/blue and simultaneous
vibration

Papapuff

I love S&B! Eight years ago I decided that I would buy a Crafty and am I glad I did. The small palm size and amazing temp control makes my daily use a no brainer. They have improved each and every model I have had...I just got approved for my fourth return for “repair” where it has been replaced. So for those who say it costs too much as yourself what you have spent on vapes since 2012? I can tell ya that the money I put into my vape has paid itself off long ago. When you deal with the best then your are treated that way.

Papapuff,

smolderson_bud

UPDATE on my situation...

I went back to the store (actually, a different location), and this time, I met managers, and they said they'd speak with the owner about it. Took my number and said they'd have him contact me. Never did, but I went back, and this time, I met the owner, and he immediately acknowledged I got the short end of the stick, and offered to replace it with a plus version.

So...
Treated with respect.
Continued satisfied customer.
Done.
:-)

Thanks again for the assist, and great attitudes around here, All.

shopdognyc

UPDATE on my situation...

I went back to the store (actually, a different location), and this time, I met managers, and they said they'd speak with the owner about it. Took my number and said they'd have him contact me. Never did, but I went back, and this time, I met the owner, and he immediately acknowledged I got the short end of the stick, and offered to replace it with a plus version.

So...
Treated with respect.
Continued satisfied customer.
Done.
:-)

Thanks again for the assist, and great attitudes around here, All.
That persistent is awesome and sometimes need someone higher up who actually cares. Glad it worked out.

Quartet_Max

Hi Team,

First time poster was recommended this thread through Reddit as I'm completely stumped on this one.

Let me start off with the Crafty has served me well over 2 years with 100 hours of usage on the bad boy but lately I noticed the battery lasting less and less to the point that a full charge would die before the oven even reached its optimal temperature, about 30 seconds and then flat.
After doing some reading and having basic knowledge in electronics I decided to take it apart and swap the battery out my self.

The cell inside the device was a Samsung INR18650 35e, after not being able to find any in my country with tabs I attempted to locate the NCR18650PF with tabs which also hadn't worked out, hard enough to find the cells with out tabs even..

I choose to try and do a bypass mod using an 18650 Cell holder where I can use my normal 18650 cells to power the device. (https://www.brightnite.com.au/products/keeppower-18650-protected-3500mah-rechargeable-battery-p1835j)

The device gets power to the point that it can blink LEDs at me but won't power on, no matter the attempts I've made I just get 1 red LED flash before switching to 7 flashing blue LEDs.

I've attempted the following in order and haven't been able to get any thing apart from the same flashing LEDs indicting low battery:

1. 18650 Cell Holder with the above battery, same blue LEDs
  2. Lab Power supply set for 3.6V increasing to 4.1V in testing increments, same blue LEDs
  3. Externally charged the existing Samsung cell, measured it at 4.1V re-attached to the device and it displays the same 7 flashing blue LEDs even at 100% full cell.
  4. Tested the thermal fuse for capacitance and confirmed current is still able to flow through it
Any idea's and where I should look next?

Last edited:

vapviking

Old & In the Way
Hi Team,

First time poster was recommended this thread through Reddit as I'm completely stumped on this one.

Let me start off with the Crafty has served me well over 2 years with 100 hours of usage on the bad boy but lately I noticed the battery lasting less and less to the point that a full charge would die before the oven even reached its optimal temperature, about 30 seconds and then flat.
After doing some reading and having basic knowledge in electronics I decided to take it apart and swap the battery out my self.

The cell inside the device was a Samsung INR18650 35e, after not being able to find any in my country with tabs I attempted to locate the NCR18650PF with tabs which also hadn't worked out, hard enough to find the cells with out tabs even..

I choose to try and do a bypass mod using an 18650 Cell holder where I can use my normal 18650 cells to power the device. (https://www.brightnite.com.au/products/keeppower-18650-protected-3500mah-rechargeable-battery-p1835j)

The device gets power to the point that it can blink LEDs at me but won't power on, no matter the attempts I've made I just get 1 red LED flash before switching to 7 flashing blue LEDs.

I've attempted the following in order and haven't been able to get any thing apart from the same flashing LEDs indicting low battery:

2. Lab Power supply set for 3.6V increasing to 4.1V in testing increments, same blue LEDs
  3. Externally charged the existing Samsung cell, measured it at 4.1V re-attached to the device and it displays the same 7 flashing blue LEDs even at 100% full cell.
  4. Tested the thermal fuse for capacitance and confirmed current is still able to flow through it
Welcome to FC; we're generally a pretty friendly bunch of weirdos...
Member @JCat has some pretty good knowledge of the battery situation; he also has a sideline mini business supplying batteries for Crafty/Mighty that have the leads with proper modular plugs soldered on.
There is a separate thread for that stuff here https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/custom-crafty-battery-packs-for-easy-replacement.26243/ but my mention of him herein will give him a shout to check out your post and maybe offer same advice.
Your efforts are impressive, btw!

cheeseholidays

Did you just pay shipping or was it the price of a new crafty+ ? Or you were waiting for a discounted Mighty, right?

Correct, a Mighty. I didn’t have to pay shipping back to me, though I did have to pay to get it to them. I’d basically just been waiting for the OK to actually send it in and pick which device I wanted. Not sure if that delay was because of Mighty stock issues, they didn’t communicate that and from what I’d been reading the typical experience was “you can go ahead and send it in, and we’ll send you one once we have stock”. Maybe mine just fell through the cracks.

Kins

Correct, a Mighty. I didn’t have to pay shipping back to me, though I did have to pay to get it to them. I’d basically just been waiting for the OK to actually send it in and pick which device I wanted. Not sure if that delay was because of Mighty stock issues, they didn’t communicate that and from what I’d been reading the typical experience was “you can go ahead and send it in, and we’ll send you one once we have stock”. Maybe mine just fell through the cracks.

They are a little slow because of covid. They came through for me last time when I sent my crafty+ in. Now my Volcano Hybrid is acting up so I got an RMA and shipped it to them yesterday.

Kins,

cheeseholidays

They are a little slow because of covid. They came through for me last time when I sent my crafty+ in. Now my Volcano Hybrid is acting up so I got an RMA and shipped it to them yesterday.

Yeah, I think they just need to better communicate what sort of delays to expect. I’m not upset with them, just glad to kind of check this off “the list”.

cheeseholidays,

Kins

Yeah, I think they just need to better communicate what sort of delays to expect. I’m not upset with them, just glad to kind of check this off “the list”.

Believe me this is a great customer service experience, especially when compared to other experiences I've had with doing RMAs.

Kins,

shopdognyc

Having a struggling business since the pandemic, everyone is figuring it out as we go. There are clearly superstars who were well prepared, and the rest of us who are perpetually playing catchup.

shopdognyc,

Quartet_Max

Hi Team,

Update to the situation and struggle, I received new untabbed Samsung INR18650 35e today, connected them up to the crafty for some temporary testing and the same behaviour applies. On a positive note I did wire the chamber directly to the lab power supply for testing and this works fine, looks like some thing bizarre with my motherboard, may have to look into replacing it with an Arduino..

Hoping for a miracle

Quartet_Max

Installed the new battery any way and attempted to give the device a charge to see if this would reset it, while the device is plugged into charging the blue LED stays SOLID on, any one else had this behaviour? Normally its a blinking blue LED for charging

shopdognyc

Installed the new battery any way and attempted to give the device a charge to see if this would reset it, while the device is plugged into charging the blue LED stays SOLID on, any one else had this behaviour? Normally its a blinking blue LED for charging
Haven’t reached that age with my device sorry wish had something to share

shopdognyc,

vapviking

Old & In the Way

It might simply be time to cut your losses (though you do seem to be enjoying this self-repair).
A new Crafty+ has 3 yr warranty. That puts cost of 3 year ownership at well under 10 bucks a month, possibly even far less if it lives longer.
But if it were me I'd ask if I could trade up toward a Mighty (you may still be able to monetize that pile of parts you're working with!)

Putricio

Hello everyone. I hope everyone is doing well and being safe. I ordered a Crafty+ for my birthday and I received yesterday. I also got some dosing capsules for it. I used it for the first time yesterday. This is my review of the device:

I was skeptical, but now I’m a believer.

That’s it. That’s my review. If you’re on the fence about maybe purchasing one, please do yourself a favor a purchase it. You won’t regret it.

Quartet_Max

It might simply be time to cut your losses (though you do seem to be enjoying this self-repair).
A new Crafty+ has 3 yr warranty. That puts cost of 3 year ownership at well under 10 bucks a month, possibly even far less if it lives longer.
But if it were me I'd ask if I could trade up toward a Mighty (you may still be able to monetize that pile of parts you're working with!)

Ended up purchasing a Mighty and not looking back, 3D printed a nice organising stand and working on a storage case, then I'll get around to attempting to 3D print / Arduino a Crafty Frankenstein in the future

Quartet_Max

Can you share any pics?
215gUu.jpeg

Top Bottom