budweis

Comfortably Numb
I have a question or two for someone who is more of an expert user of the Couchlog. I bought a used kit on EE and wondering about the placement of the herb chamber in the standard wooden stem that come with it... Is the o-ring supposed to go down into the stem when you insert the herb chamber? To me it seems the o-ring is barely doing anything to hold it in place. Maybe it is helping to make a seal, not sure? But I expected the orings to really hold the herb chamber in place and not finding that it really does that all that well.
Sometimes I need to use my fingernail to push the o-ring down into the grove between stem and chamber in the last step but usually it sits just fine.

2OvvJe4.jpg

sickmanfraud

Oh sorry, re-reading things it's not that clear. I'm using the CL as the heater. I've used the franken-chamber as I would the normal chamber, i.e. on the CL mouthpiece, a waterpiece etc but also on the end of a few 8mm stems. It's been living in the intake hole on the SB Jr for a few days though so the Jr is a glorified j-hook. (My desk isn't clean/clear enough for a good angle of the SB with it in 🙈)

Yeah, the herb/hash goes into the Convector tip, not the SB bowl.

The fixed screen of the Convector tip only sits a bit below where the normal herb chamber screen would, so I didn't find the need to bump the power to compensate for anything. I also prefer how the herb chamber mates with the CL heater compared to the default Convector tip, I feel a bit uneasy holding it against the ball screen.

I hope that actually helps clarify things :lol:

Edit: @Texus thanks for the link, that's kind of what I was picturing. I've took a pic of how the bowls I have size up against each other.
(14mm glass extender, Ditatnium titanium handpiece, Dfreez bowl and the franken-chamber.
The Vgoodiez option has a fixed screen but it's wouldn't suit this use-case. I'd LOVE a minimal glass (or zirconia!) bowl option, more akin to the Dfreez bowl 🤤

FWIW I love my defreez bowl. I use it all the time.

I would recommend a defreez bowl for the couch log.

RedZep

Something I like about typical desktop ball vapes is how the coil is the only expected point of failure. And even if the PID breaks, you can just buy another.

Are the components in the CL that could feasibly fail one day, easy to repair or replace? Even if the CL manufacturer is no longer in business?

TigoleBitties

Big and Bouncy
Something I like about typical desktop ball vapes is how the coil is the only expected point of failure. And even if the PID breaks, you can just buy another.

Are the components in the CL that could feasibly fail one day, easy to repair or replace? Even if the CL manufacturer is no longer in business?
I've thought about this but never asked the question. Also interested in the answer.

Edit: Guess we should formally ask @Chris@420Eng?

Last edited:

Atom Flower

Notice how the outside shell is yellowish brown, but the insides are completely roasted.
This used to bother me on other vapes until I relaxed and realised I was being anal and that in reality the amounts of goodies left in that lighter colour shell that was in contact with the bowl wall is negligible and that a very dark roast is extracting stuff that is not really wanted.

Hagbard Celine

This used to bother me on other vapes until I relaxed and realised I was being anal and that in reality the amounts of goodies left in that lighter colour shell that was in contact with the bowl wall is negligible and that a very dark roast is extracting stuff that is not really wanted.

Also, I know people are obsessed with NOT stirring, but imo it's silly to restrict yourself to that... I'm more of an obsessive stirrer, esp when its so easy to get at, like in an open bowl or glass stem like that. It literally takes like 2 or 3 seconds with a toothpick or thin wooden dowel, and I dont think it could possibly make the extraction less effective. Sorry, comes from my days of being frugal with herb

Hagbard Celine,
Reactions: nicanaca0

ezpz

I don’t like to stir because it’s messy. Tiny bits of herb fall through the screen and dirty your piece faster. Also clogs the screen. I don’t stir, and I haven’t found the need to change my friction fit screen since installing it last year. Just blow out the avb when warm and everything comes out nicely.

the amounts of goodies left in that lighter colour shell that was in contact with the bowl wall is negligible
I agree completely.

Hagbard Celine

I don’t like to stir because it’s messy. Tiny bits of herb fall through the screen and dirty your piece faster. Also clogs the screen. I don’t stir, and I haven’t found the need to change my friction fit screen since installing it last year. Just blow out the avb when warm and everything comes out nicely.

I agree completely.

Thats perfectly fine. Lots of people have that opinion and I'm not here to argue. I've just always been more about efficiency because back in the day I always had to be. Also, there are ways to go about it without making such a mess! A lot of times I can even just tap the top of the stem or bowl with my finger. And in my world here, everything is going to have to be cleaned regardless.

Atom Flower

Precisely, this is the technique :tup:

If the baked herb is stuck I use a pin to gently dislodge it without crushing it into the screen! :rockon:

Chris@420Eng

Manufacturer

The heater should not break.
The controller can be replaced by any other controller or dimmer that can control the power of the power supply.
Its also easy to repair if you know what to do.

hope this helps :)

TangibleHangnail

I'm using my CouchLog a bit more recently, and I've found I can't even set the power level to 4 without fear of combusting. Is that pretty normal? I'm using the same bowls and rigs I'd use for a 14mm ball vape injector.

TangibleHangnail,
Reactions: Vitolo

coolbreeze

I'm using my CouchLog a bit more recently, and I've found I can't even set the power level to 4 without fear of combusting. Is that pretty normal? I'm using the same bowls and rigs I'd use for a 14mm ball vape injector.
Sounds pretty hot to me. I'm always between 4-6, mostly around 5 and there's no way I could combust in that range.

Texus

I am a bit lower on the dial than that. But if you have room on the lower end of the spectrum, why would you want to adjust it?

Chris@420Eng

Manufacturer
Seems suboptimal to only have 35% "useful range" on the control
Hi,

Due to manufacturing tolerances of the cartridge supplier that are beyond our control, some units are operating at higher temperatures. While these units work perfectly fine, they are warmer compared to others.

The power range of the units is between 44-100%, resulting in a temperature increase of approximately 10°C from one end of the scale to the other. Unfortunately, this range cannot be adjusted.

However, you can achieve lower temperatures by using a power supply with lower voltage. A 5V 3A power supply with a DC5.5mmx2.1mm connector should work.

Additionally, you can use any other controller or dimmer to power the CouchLog, as long as it has a DC5.5mmx2.5mm connector.

Best regards,
Chris :peace:

coolbreeze

I'm in Canada and just ordered it to give it a try 👌
US here, I'll try too. We used to use curly phone/headphone extension cables back in the day--they worked great but were a bit of an adventure. ; )

Goatts

I got these last week. They work but are too short to be functional. The maximum usable extension of the coil is about 30cm, far shorter than they claim. Thin gauge wire. Save your money. Other options are available.

Hagbard Celine

I got these last week. They work but are too short to be functional. The maximum usable extension of the coil is about 30cm, far shorter than they claim. Thin gauge wire. Save your money. Other options are available.
Too bad these don’t work. But I’m happy others here are looking at things that might help with cord management… the couchlog is certainly my favorite log vape atm (can’t wait to get my hands on a GTR to compare), and cord management is currently probably the biggest drawback for me. The fact that each CL requires 2 cords (from outlet to temp controller, and temp controller to CL) makes a bit more challenging.

Log vapes are my daily drivers, and I like to keep two at a time plugged in for sessions, so these are things I tend to think about.

I’m sure there are a lot of innovative people with ideas on cord management. Anyone want to share some ideas? There’s gotta be something simple idea out there for me.

Goatts

Too bad these don’t work. But I’m happy others here are looking at things that might help with cord management… the couchlog is certainly my favorite log vape atm (can’t wait to get my hands on a GTR to compare), and cord management is currently probably the biggest drawback for me. The fact that each CL requires 2 cords (from outlet to temp controller, and temp controller to CL) makes a bit more challenging.

Log vapes are my daily drivers, and I like to keep two at a time plugged in for sessions, so these are things I tend to think about.

I’m sure there are a lot of innovative people with ideas on cord management. Anyone want to share some ideas? There’s gotta be something simple idea out there for me.
I hear you on the cord issue. On initial setup it felt like wrestling with an Octopus. Duct tape was my initial fix to make the cords submit. Still looking for a better solution.

Top Bottom