flipper_gv

After 3 weeks with my Couchlog, I'm starting to wonder if it's performing correctly; especially in comparison to what's described here with other's units. I've found that I need to set the temperature controller between at least 7-8 to get something closer to full/darker extraction. I also struggle with back-to-back hits (refractory period). Basically I have to hope I fully extract the bowl in the first hit, because if I don't the 2nd won't be able to do it. I've even given up on using my wood Dfreez bowl because it seems to rob too much of the heat to get a proper extraction - even at 7-8. I've played around with my pack, draw speed, etc. The device definitely can pump out some vapor, but I always feel like I'm throwing away un-fully-spent material by the end unfortunately. Anyone else experience anything like this?

How long do you let it heat soak before the first hit?

flipper_gv,
Reactions: pomogirl

rvarick

How long do you let it heat soak before the first hit?
Anywhere from well over 15 mins, to more typically an hour+. I’ll turn it on at the end of my workday and then use it much later usually.

Thanks for everyone’s inputs here! I am unfortunately seeing what seems like more feedback suggesting mine isn’t like others at least. Especially hearing that full extraction is possible below at least 7 on the dial, and that back to back hits aren't an issue on other CLs. Another data point to mention is that mine doesn't work well at all going cordless, as the heat seems to drop off even more precipitously doing this. I have to keep it plugged in to have any hope of a worthwhile 2nd hit. Chris/420eng did mention something in an email about there being a way to tune it hotter, so I'm interested to hear what that may be.

It's been an interesting struggle with this device. Noticing it had a nick/scratch upon arrival was a start, but I quickly moved on. Then the blackwood bowl I picked up for it turned out to not be dried properly and gunked all over the CL, which had to be carefully cleaned off. Now I'm noticing the performance questions. What's ironic is I went with a CL because I loved my Halo but my only complaint is it can struggle with back to back hits too (given the minimal heat sink/balls). But this is truly minimal in comparison to the Couchlog in my experience thus far.

Last edited:

olysh pops

@rvarick I have to wait a few minutes if I want to make two big identical clouds back to back.
I use the CL at ~8.8 thermostat - with hash - and unplugged.
If it helps.

Edit : I just did a test and I can make big cloud every two minutes, at least. What I call big cloud is the cloud obtained when I pull for 6-7 seconds on the bong.

Last edited:

olysh pops

What's your routine with hash on CL?

I share with you my current and favorite routine

The herb chamber is filled, without tamping, to 2/3 of hash (0.11g last time)
The herb chamber is placed on the mouthpiece made of BlackForest oak
:love:

Thermostat on 8,8 approximately, I pull hard on the bong during 6-7 seconds. The cloud is very dense.

(I love these very dense clouds that completely fill my lungs, that I can hold for a few seconds without coughing.)

After each hit I collect the hash that spreads on the inner edge of the herb chamber (with the orange tool) and put it back on the grid. At the end of the session I scrape the edges less and mix the hash more.
In about 5 or 6 hits, all the material is extracted; the abv is dark, completely dry, powdery.

To keep an open air flow, after each session I clean the herb chamber with a rag, the grid with a cleaning brush after one session and burning it after the second session.

I have found that there is a risk of burning if I pull too long during a hit, this risk increases at the end of the session.

And you, do you have a routine for hash on CL ?

:)

Last edited:

Chris@420Eng

Manufacturer
Hi,

on the heater issue.
There are tolerances from the heating cardrige i cant influence. The last batch was on the lower end and the current one is on the higher end. Would be better if they where more identical but it is what it is.
The CL should perform the same just on another point of the scale.

The CL can be run with an 12V VVPS directly plugged into the log. no problem. But be careful or you can damage your device if u go to high.

If the power is not enough, go higher on the scale! If u can combust on 8-9 your temperature should be fine. (Should be enough for the glasbowl)

For back to back bowls there are some tips you should try.
-stop inhaling when there is no more vapor production going on. otherwise you waste heat.
-tamp your load a bit. The screen should be covered with herbs.
-clean your screen every start of a session.
To minimize the stirring and therefore draws needed.

If the power of a CL is not enough. if u are using a deeper bowl as the CL glasbowl. You can add more power by using an power supply with more Volts. Up to 12V. But its the same as with the vvps. Be careful and don't go to hot or the wood will take damage.

Hope i answered anything. :peace:
Greetings Chris

Ripstar

After 3 weeks with my Couchlog, I'm starting to wonder if it's performing correctly; especially in comparison to what's described here with other's units. I've found that I need to set the temperature controller between at least 7-8 to get something closer to full/darker extraction. I also struggle with back-to-back hits (refractory period). Basically I have to hope I fully extract the bowl in the first hit, because if I don't the 2nd won't be able to do it. I've even given up on using my wood Dfreez bowl because it seems to rob too much of the heat to get a proper extraction - even at 7-8. I've played around with my pack, draw speed, etc. The device definitely can pump out some vapor, but I always feel like I'm throwing away un-fully-spent material by the end unfortunately. Anyone else experience anything like this?
There are times when I feel like it takes a little longer on back to back hits. but usually on my Prodigy rig(or something close to that size), smaller rigs seem not to do it as bad?
My Dfreez also seems to get VERY hot and rides the rail close to combustion. I have to play around with more though, I just got it.

Grass Yes

Yes
Staff member
There are times when I feel like it takes a little longer on back to back hits. but usually on my Prodigy rig(or something close to that size), smaller rigs seem not to do it as bad?
This makes a lot of sense. All of my rigs are on the small side, because that is my preference. So something with a lot of volume might cool it faster. Although I would also expect that it would finish the bowl in 1 hit. I have done that accidentally on water too many times.

Die_Toffifee

Bu-Tane Clan
That hash looks lovely! :)

I run a similiar setup with hash but I can go anywhere between 5.5 and 7.5. With hash that is. But my herb chamber isn't nearly as full as yours.

Die_Toffifee,
Reactions: olysh pops

Zillacon

🤠🤠🤠🤠
It took me a second to get each of my CLs down as they both perform at different settings. For me it was a process of figuring out the "sweet spot" for each one. Here are pictures of how I use a wpa as a bowl and the product of one single hit through a bong. I pull fast so tunneling is heavy but wouldn't be an issue if I drew slower instead of trying to suck like my life depended on it. I can do 2-3 of these back to back without issue. As for the unplug aspect I don't really use that feature and wouldn't necessarily say it is a main selling point.

ibnganja

Here is visually the amount of product I use. It is hash made in Ketama in Morocco

Herb-chamber-ready.jpg

To illustrate my previous post, "Thermostat on 8,8 approximately, I pull hard on the bong during 6-7 seconds. The cloud is very dense."

It is possible to make bangs like that every two minutes, at least, I have not tried closer :science:

:)

thanks for that excellent visual.

Momma always said, (hash) milk is good for you.

rvarick

Hi,

on the heater issue.
There are tolerances from the heating cardrige i cant influence. The last batch was on the lower end and the current one is on the higher end. Would be better if they where more identical but it is what it is.
The CL should perform the same just on another point of the scale.

The CL can be run with an 12V VVPS directly plugged into the log. no problem. But be careful or you can damage your device if u go to high.

If the power is not enough, go higher on the scale! If u can combust on 8-9 your temperature should be fine. (Should be enough for the glasbowl)

For back to back bowls there are some tips you should try.
-stop inhaling when there is no more vapor production going on. otherwise you waste heat.
-tamp your load a bit. The screen should be covered with herbs.
-clean your screen every start of a session.
To minimize the stirring and therefore draws needed.

If the power of a CL is not enough. if u are using a deeper bowl as the CL glasbowl. You can add more power by using an power supply with more Volts. Up to 12V. But its the same as with the vvps. Be careful and don't go to hot or the wood will take damage.

Hope i answered anything. :peace:
Greetings Chris
Thanks Chris, appreciate this info! It's comforting to hear mine is more than likely just within a lower side of normal tolerances (it was in that last batch), vs. "malfunctioning" in some way. Any other "issues" I've mentioned were really minor nits, and were in retrospect honestly not worth bringing up. I'm going to play around with how high I can go using the stock temp controller and see what this does. I'm actually kinda hoping I can get it to overcook my material at the top of the scale so I know it has a good, useable limit.

I may also give a VVPS a try. I'm running my REFC Labs Advanced Telemetry Module (UCTRONICS 0-50V 5A Step Down/Buck Converter), with a 24V PSU; so I'm guessing this is may be overpowered for this use case per se. Or does the 24V just mean there's a "higher ceiling" so to speak? (can anyone confirm?) I also have a 3-12V/5A VVPS on hand too (the ubiquitous JDT-001 model). While realizing this isn't the stock/recommended setup, any tips on what voltage I should stay under to be safe? I'm guessing 6V on either VVPS should match up with 100%/top of the dial on the stock temp controller, so maybe start around there and go up carefully, in small increments (?) (hopefully not too dumb of a question!)

Last edited:

ibnganja

YESSIR.

Really glad CL is my first log vape. What a great experience so far. Downright surreal. My CL in Blackforest Oak arrived in under 3 days -- all the way from Germany to little ol' Toronto. The ETA was Monday so I was shocked to see it today.

This thing is small and really elegant. I love the matching temperature controller. It was really easy to get the setup safely and securely setup on my desk. There was a magnet under the TC unit and the heater. I hope to keep it on most of the day and it'll always be within reach at my desk!

After admiring the beauty (and letting it soak for at least 15 min) I gave 'er a go.

Loading the stem was easy using the funnel, but then "lovetovapeherb" suggested the straw method; Now it's easy AND a breeze.

Putting the heater @ 5 and inhaling produced some really really tasty flavor and vapor with this London Pound Cake strain. I was able to get a couple 4 or so respectable flavorful hits -- then I stirred it, turned up the dial to 6.5 and got a less tasty cloud and subsequent hit. Afterwards I was expecting dark AVB but the result wasn't so.

I was able to repeat this consistently, and even turn up the temps, and haven't combusted yet. Knock on (blackforest oak) wood that I won't jinx myself and combust lol.

@olysh thanks for the hash tip! I was really excited to try this hash my brother gave me a few weeks ago! FLAVORTOWN.

Last edited:

ibnganja

I work from home and I pretty much vape all day, everyday.

I used only my CL today, and most of yesterday. I really enjoy the taste and the high. And I'm able to get satisfying hits that medicate me the way I like. My experience is mainly positive and I see myself using this long-term as part of my vaping arsenal.

My main gripe would be that I wish it were quicker setting the temp when changing the temp #, and I'm not used to "stirring" but it helps with this to keep things as tasty and even-burning for as long as possible

Despite how cool it is to use with the wood cage, so far I've been mostly enjoying using it natively with the stem with cooling beads added. I haven't tried the cooling pads yet but I plan to see how that differs in taste and smoothness. I also look forward to getting the right orings to try a couple of my dynavap stems :D

Weedaholic

Hi!

I'm thinking about getting one. Actually have a WS and really like the log style vaporizer. I'm looking for a log with bigger chamber and the capacity for one hitting that bigger bowl through a water piece. I'm in the right direction?
You won't regret buying one, It's everything you are looking for in a log vape...
You can crush a bowl in one are two hits and the the airflow is lot more wide open then a WS
It has way bigger bowl then the WS
Just skim back threw the pages and you will see the reviews..
There is a lot of positive reviews for sure....I still love my one, actually thinking of getting another one.

TeaCup

Hi!

I'm thinking about getting one. Actually have a WS and really like the log style vaporizer. I'm looking for a log with bigger chamber and the capacity for one hitting that bigger bowl through a water piece. I'm in the right direction?
Just skim back threw the pages and you will see the reviews..

And when you come to this one...............
.....................disregard it!! I'm an odd duck that has to seemingly mod every vape I touch to the one millionth degree, lol. I had an issue that I couldn't figure out but have since rectified the situation and am pleasantly chugging along now! My only issue would be what others have said about wanting to do back to back to back hits a little faster before the CL needs some recharging. It's not a huge deal, I just have to tweak my routine a little bit from my norm. And I wish I knew that some CL heaters behave differently than others......why that is, I kinda don't understand, but apparently they do. Meaning, some run hotter or cooler than others. And again, not a big deal in the least bit now that I know that. It's kind of like the TinyMight, not everyone's temp is the same at level 5, but I could care less what level it says I'm on just as long as I have the full spectrum temps I'm supposed to have.

pxl_jockey

Just a dude
I’ve been CouchLogging pretty much exclusively the last week or so with the glass bowl thru various rigs, it’s lovely. I could go on but I’m so very logged at the moment and don‘t want to :lol: I love its elegant simplicity in use, although it has derailed a few mornings and caused a few afternoon naps that might not otherwise have occurred. So there’s that.

Top Bottom