1. What does SSTB mean? See our glossary of acronyms.

The Magic-Flight Box

Discussion in 'Portable Vaporizers' started by magicflight, May 16, 2009.

1. OF

OF Well-Known Member

Good question, shows yer thinking.

I agree, nothing is really lost. At least not enough to worry about. Grind some over a sheet of paper, or better still aluminum foil, and look for the ones that jumped ship. My theory is the trichomes that get cut, knocked or broken off end up sticking to some bit of bud and in your load.

The Q man has it again, 'you don't miss much'.

Handling is another matter, it sticks to you and gets lost.....

OF
  2. bambithedeer

bambithedeer Member

This is my first time posting images so bare with me. My mod was semi successful. I was able to make the whole unit power on with a button. However I couldn't figure out how to make the on off button work. The on off function would be more of a safety feature but it still works quite well.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This is what the unit looks like from the front
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This is the button mechanism.

All together it doesn't make the box any less stealthy, just a little more bulky. It is nice to not have to worry about where the battery is and whether or not it is engaging.

Let me know your guys' thoughts. I'm sure I will be experimenting more with this in the future.
    mplx, Amblacalma, GrilledGoat and 6 others like this.
  3. Quetzalcoatl

Quetzalcoatl i i i

[​IMG]
    Joshh1, KidFated. and $unnyblaq like this.
  4. mplx

mplx Member

Looks promising. And ON (or ON/OFF)- switch is quite useful. Happened a few times that i almost forgot about the battery.

I got a reply from MF. It`s normal that the batteries get hot during the later part of the charge. They get in “trickle charge mode” in the final part of the charge. When the lights turns green the battery is already cooling down but it takes some time to reach "touchable" temps.

Guess i was a little fast sending a mail:rolleyes: because the batteries do indeed cool down after some time. So no worries and i`m reassured. I just don`t like hot batteries:D
    $unnyblaq, Quetzalcoatl and Ano like this.
  5. bambithedeer

bambithedeer Member

Unfortunately my Electrical Engineering skills aren't high enough to really understand how my mod and the MFLB works. The amperage suffers heavily with this current version of the mod. It takes way to long for the trench to heat up even with a fully charged battery. I wish I was further into college and had a 3D printer. It would make the whole process of prototyping much faster and easier. I would like to eventually get this mod into a sleeve type case for the MFLB. Imagine having a MFLB that looks the same but acts like some of the higher end vapes out there. Maybe adding something to control the temperature, like a built in power adapter. If only my high school offered better electronics classes while I was there.... Any way I am working on bettering the mod and adding another battery. I'll keep everyone posted with my progress.
    KidFated., catbird, poonman and 2 others like this.
  6. bambithedeer

bambithedeer Member

I have a new prototype to try out and I will be getting the materials tomorrow. I'll keep everyone posted.

here is a schematic of what I am attempting to do

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2014
  7. OF

OF Well-Known Member

Save your money. You're on the eight track but a ways off the mark. 2N2222 us a good general purpose NPN, but it's a couple of orders of magnitude shy of the necessary current. It's maximum current is .8 Amps and we need something like 15. It's really at it's best at 100mA or so. If you ever manage to turn it on (by reducing R1 a LOT) it will blow up.
    https://www.jameco.com/Jameco/Products/ProdDS/38236.pdf

You need like 100 times more capacity. Bipolars will be a problem with both gain and saturation. I'd avoid them as a class.

I'd look at a serious FET, I've had good luck in such applications with the IRF530:
    https://www.jameco.com/Jameco/Products/ProdDS/210500.pdf

The 540 might be a better call current wise.

Be sure to add a 'pull down' resistor from gate to ground to ensure turn off. 3 Volts is pretty thin on gate drive, but I think it'll get you started.

Are you in the US? If so, PM me and I'll mail you a couple of 530s.....assuming I can find them.

OF
  8. sundaddy

sundaddy Well-Known Member

A story on the great Mr. Landry (Inventor of the MFLB) Along with the Herbalizer and a Bud Analyzer.
  9. Mini Bones

Mini Bones New Member

does anyone know what exactly the grinder metal grater is made out of, on the finishing grinder? Alum, SS, Ti...?
    OF likes this.
  10. KidFated.

KidFated. Good Things Come To Those Who Chill

One of the first two. I'd bet on aluminum.​
    DDave and OF like this.
  11. OF

OF Well-Known Member

Naw, Aluminum makes a lousy knife, right?

I've never seen one, but I'll give you 3 to 1 on Stainless Steel. Got a magnet? Not all SS is magnetic, but I bet the plate is.

OF
  12. KidFated.

KidFated. Good Things Come To Those Who Chill

I stand (most likely) corrected. Too bad I lost my FG I'd try it out.
    DDave and OF like this.
  13. Dynalowrider

Dynalowrider New Member

Re: post #23901
    Well, after two (2) wall-warts, and a new Power-Adaptor, it's still pulsing with the "potentiometer" cranked all the way up. It doesn't pulse using the auto adaptor, (I use a jump-start battery that has a built-in 12vdc outlet).
    I will let you know what MFLB has to say. Dynalowrider
    KidFated. likes this.
  14. mplx

mplx Member

Got my "herbal concentrate tray" for the LB today. Turns out to be two of them, i thought i bought one:lol:. Now there is one with a screened tray and one with a unscreened one. The manual says to use the unscreened one for concentrates that do not melt to / or are not - a liquid. For the screened one use concentrates that will completely melt or are liquid.

Now i tried a little of the concentrate a few days ago in a folded paper boat ().
    Works fine but the concentrate does become soft, sticky and melts a little, but not really to a liquid, more like melted ice cream and turns solid when the heat is gone.

[​IMG]

Made a pic to illustrate. Should i use 1)unscreened or 2)screened?:D What`s the functional difference; just easier to clean cause of the different surface?

I don`t like to just give it a a try and risk a mess and a broken LB
    lwien, KidFated. and MileHighLife like this.
  15. MileHighLife

MileHighLife Soil -> Oil

I'd use the screened tray if I were you. The unscreened tray is more for bubble or dry ice hash. The difference in the trays is functional. The screen increases the surface area that is heating the concentrate. Cleaning is identical ... just use a torch to torch them clean.
    KidFated. likes this.
  16. Ano

Ano FC Lover

Actually I think you should use the unscreened one.

My understanding of the different trays is that the screened tray prevents liquid from spilling out of the tray and into the box by providing a "chamber" between the bottom plate and the screen. This way the concentrate is placed on the screen, melts through it when heated, keeps heating in contact with the plate and doesn't spill because of the "ceiling" provided by the screen.

If your concentrate doesn't turn liquid (or at least as long as there is no risk of spilling when heated), the unscreened tray will probably work best, as the MFLB using being mainly conduction based, your concentrate will be in contact with more surface directly on one solid plate than on a screen riddled with tiny holes.
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2014
    KidFated., mplx, Quetzalcoatl and 2 others like this.
  17. Quetzalcoatl

Quetzalcoatl i i i

This!! The screen acts as a roof and breaks the surface tension of the bubbling oils. Stuff with plant matter in it goes in the naked tray!
    KidFated., MileHighLife, mplx and 3 others like this.
  18. mplx

mplx Member

So if i get it right; the screened surface is for oil so that the relief makes it harder to boil that fast or heavy so the oil stays in the cup and not all trough the chamber. I`ll try some of that honeysweet marroc:drool:in the unscreened tray. Thanks everyone
  19. MileHighLife

MileHighLife Soil -> Oil

Interesting that ya'lls screens in the screened trays act as a ceiling to break bubbles. The screen in my screened tray sits basically flat in the bottom of the tray (maybe assembled wrong?). My take on the screen was that it is sort of a wick to wick the concentrate out across the tray increasing the surface area heating the concentrate instead of pooling in the middle like it does when using the unscreened tray.
    KidFated. and mplx like this.
  20. mplx

mplx Member

I think you have the same tray. Looks just like the other one, just not shiny, probably made from another alloy and there is a little very fine grid on the bottom to place the oil on.

I tried some marroc on the non-screened tray and it works well:tup:. But like the manual says an extended tube or waterpipe is welcome because the vape gets hotter. Lucky i already made an extension tube and it works great
  21. caves

caves Living the vape life

Just checked my Finishing Grinder, the plate is not magnetic. I wouldn't think the plate would have to be that beefy, considering all you're doing is mashing some dried plant matter across it. The hardest thing you'll be grinding is a stem, and if a stem is too big to fit through the holes it just sorta rolls around on top.

Whatever kind of metal it is, it does the job. :D
    OF, KidFated. and Quetzalcoatl like this.
  22. OF

OF Well-Known Member

Thanks for checking. As I said, not being magnetic proves nothing, but being so would. Funny logic, I hope you follow?

In use, the tool (plate) has to cut, it shears through the material. This places other Material Science issues on it. Consider that hay harvesters (which cut softer stuff in a less demanding way) are made of extremely hard steel (much tougher than you 'd expect here) and yet they wear away over time.

In our case a slight degradation will take is from cleanly slicing (making 'perfect' results) to shredding (no longer perfect).

As you say it works, and that's the goal.

Thanks again for checking.

OF
    GrilledGoat, caves, RUDE BOY and 2 others like this.
  23. abhishek

abhishek Active Member

Any good place online to order, somewhere they selling it cheap???..looking particularly for a website which can deliver fast and hassle free to Toronto...is 119$ a good price
  24. Vitolo

Vitolo Vaporist

119 is the price.
    This is the price that Magic Flight has listed as the price for their authorized retailers to sell at.
    Barring special deals by websites with codes on set occasions, if you see it being sold for less, you do take some risk, and there exists some chance that something "fishy" is up.
    That is not to say that every $89 box out there is a fake... it is just the way Magic Flight now has things set up to avoid fraud.
  25. mplx

mplx Member

Little question about that trays i bought. I used the unscreened tray several times now and it works like it should but the effect is not really what i hoped for. When i vape herbs normally and i heat up the LB i actually see the vape building up and going trough the tube when i take a hit. When i do the same with a little cube of marroc on the tray it heats up, i can inhale but it tastes like air, only on the finnish i can taste the sweetness from the concentrate. The effect is very light. I used to smoke the same stuff with a little tabacco and it was able to fill a room with a very sweet smell. The effect was a heavy high. Now i tried to grind a piece to powder and filled the tray with it. It gives the same light effect as when it was a little solid cube. It dries out, gets sticky and you can press it like gum. Does it get not hot enough or what could be the problem?

Support FC, visit our trusted friends and sponsors