1. What does SSTB mean? See our glossary of acronyms.

The Magic-Flight Box

Discussion in 'Portable Vaporizers' started by magicflight, May 16, 2009.

1. OF

OF Well-Known Member

IMO the PA needs to go back. You're exceeding the current (not voltage) ratings on the WW. The car cord has much larger current potential. The PA should not be using that much current. It's going to lead to heat buildup and failure (the power drawn has to go somewhere, if not into the load......).

BTW, it's not really rheostat. Such a gadget would be five times hotter than the box. A minor, but important detail, at least to some of us. Probably the best way to think of the PA is as a specialized Variable Voltage supply with rather impressive performance. You won't find a 'COTS' (Commercial, Off The Shelf) supply to replace it, at least I didn't and I looked pretty carefully.

Anyway, what you're seeing is the WWs crashing because the PA is demanding too much power, a bigger WW is not the answer. Nor is the car cord. Nor do I think 'turning it down enough so it doesn't trip out' is a good work around. If it were mine, it'd be on the way back. The house that burns down could be yours?

Good luck with it. Good to meet you, welcome to the fun, sorry it has to be under a cloud.....

OF

Quetzalcoatl, KidFated. and RUDE BOY like this.
  2. Dynalowrider

Dynalowrider New Member

I called the wheel on the wooden pa a rheostat for lack of a better word. There is no heat build up anywhere in the circuit, so no real danger.
    The amperage I listed on the wall-warts is the nameplate rating.
    I e-mailed MFLB about this, so we'll see what happens.
    Dynalowrider

3. OF

OF Well-Known Member

The better word for that part is potentiometer for those taking notes. Again, an unimportant detail. It sets the output level the supply will try to reach. A control signal, not a power one. What is important it more power than normal is being drawn (goes in), if the normal power is coming out extra is left over. If it goes in and doesn't come out it's where it shouldn't be. Your inability to find it (did you open it up and check especially the inductor and flyback diode?) doesn't change that. It's not running to specifications and is subject to further degradation if you let it.

The danger is IMO real. For the unit and the house it's in. Your call, but I don't think ignoring or dismissing it changes the fact that the WW seems OK (by replacement) and the system is not performing to spec.

Good luck.

OF

horst, Vicki and KidFated. like this.
  4. pnutz

pnutz Puff master

Noooooo!!! I was brushing out my box and the black O ring inside came out. I sent magic flight an email for warranty but they haven't responded yet. Do you think this will be covered?

OF likes this.
  5. OF

OF Well-Known Member

Bummer. Yes, such mishap has been covered in the past. You might take a lash, at least one guy managed to get it back in (or so he claimed) but several others pulled theirs out in a misguided clean freak adventure to their regret.

If you're gentle enough you can soldier on, the first ones didn't have rings.......

Good luck.

OF

Quetzalcoatl, Vicki and pnutz like this.
  6. pnutz

pnutz Puff master

Thanks OF. Yeah I've tried to gently guide it back into place but can't seem to get it. I feel like I might damage the screen if I go at it any harder. It still seems to work fine in the meantime. Not really sure what it even does. Guess I'll have to wait for them to get back to me.

OF likes this.
  7. OF

OF Well-Known Member

One thing you might try is to cut the ring. Slice through one side to make a curved string out of it then press the ring in from one end to the other. Keep track of 'the outside side' of it. If it comes up a bit short, no big deal, if it goes long, trim it off.

Hopefully soon you'll be ripping the screen out......

OF

KidFated. and pnutz like this.
  8. pnutz

pnutz Puff master

I'll will try that out later when I get more time. Thanks for all the feedback!!

OF likes this.
  9. vapirtoo

vapirtoo Well-Known Member

Hey folks,
    I have had a beta unit of the newer flat PA for over a year which pulsed on and off at full power right out of the box.
    I talked with MF about this and they said it might be the new banana plug which I didn't insert far enough. :hmm:
    Magic flight has to be aware of this problem by this time.
    My unit still works fine as long as I only use up to 90 percent of power.
    I'm fine with that as I never need that much.
    My faith in MF has been dampened just a bit as I figured they would have solved this problem by now.
    I still love the company and its products.

Oh yeah, the box can vape without the o-ring. It just gets messy quicker.

$unnyblaq likes this.
  10. MileHighLife

MileHighLife Self-Sufficient Stoner

11. KidFated.

KidFated. Good Things Come To Those Who Chill

I'll be tryin out some "feelin' fine" tomorrow, I'll be sure to let you all know :)

horst likes this.
  12. $unnyblaq

$unnyblaq Well-Known Member

So I love the guys at magic flight. I recently went through a warranty process for my maple box. I lost my broken box before I could finish the warranty and they replaced it anyway. Love these guys and why I stand behind this company.

13. smokedlikeablunt

smokedlikeablunt New Member

I've had a launch box for a year or so and it's great. Just got the power adaptor 2.0, but when I go much above 50% power the light in my launchbox starts blinking or wont turn on at all. Has this happened to anyone else?

vapirtoo and $unnyblaq like this.
  14. KidFated.

Start the warranty process, and yes.

vapirtoo likes this.
  15. $unnyblaq

$unnyblaq Well-Known Member

Mines does this to they gave me a new plug and it still does it so I gave up :shrug:

vapirtoo likes this.
  16. KidFated.

It's not the wall wart but the dial itself.

17. vapirtoo

Hey MF
    There is a problem with the new pa.
    Please check your suppliers as the parts look great, but are not up to your usual
    beyond reproach performance.
    Maybe some friendly emails to MF will
    wake them up.
    I never had any problems with the old cylinder pa. Too bad I gave it to a close friend.

Been using and loving my orbital bubbler.
    I rinse it out with hot water once or twice a day. It's a quick cleaning process and I've had zero buildup anywhere. I iso clean the whips and rinse with hot water once a week.
    I put some iso in a bowl and suck it through the whips. I try to keep the wood untouched.
    So far so good.
    Oh yeah I keep the iso out of my mouth as much as possible.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2014
  18. KidFated.

Also, start below 50% and while you have the power engaged scroll the power up.

GrilledGoat and Quetzalcoatl like this.
  19. vapirtoo

Been there done that.
    Some times it works , most times it doesn't. :bang:

$unnyblaq and KidFated. like this.
  20. KidFated.

Contact MF and they will take care of it.

vapirtoo likes this.
  21. smokedlikeablunt

smokedlikeablunt New Member

Cheers, I will do that. But to be clear, it is the power adaptor that is faulty, and not the launch box?

22. pakalolo

pakalolo RoboMod v3.17 (ticking) Staff Member

The PA has the same lifetime warranty that the MFLB has.

23. Ano

Ano FC Lover

Yes, the box isn't the problem.
    PAs having trouble working in their highest settings have been reported quite a few times in this thread.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2014
    vapirtoo and GrilledGoat like this.
  24. GrilledGoat

GrilledGoat New South Vaper

Tonight is a flight box kind of night... :love:

[​IMG]

Finishing Grinder should be in on Monday :):party:

catbird, poonman, nopartofme and 3 others like this.
  25. KidFated.

Maybe a wooden stem to match? ;)

Nothin like the feel of wood to your lips.....

Quetzalcoatl likes this.

Support FC, visit our trusted friends and sponsors