1. What does SSTB mean? See our glossary of acronyms.

The Magic-Flight Box

Discussion in 'Portable Vaporizers' started by magicflight, May 16, 2009.

1. paytonpenn

paytonpenn Level 30 Nature/Healer

The funny part is the wink. Not the line below.
    Quetzalcoatl likes this.
  2. KidFated.

KidFated. Good Things Come To Those Who Chill

Didn't mean the bottom to be funny, i just hav/had wooden mouthpieces for every vape because I hate glass/acrylic until I need to use it. Wood just feels good

Edit- when I smoked I also had wooden chillums with stainless steel bowls, loved those things.
    horst likes this.
  3. mplx

mplx Active Member

Hi everyone this is my first post. Last week i received my MFLB. I thought, after years of smoking cigarettes and green i should quit smoking. I bought a Joyetech E-cig for replacing the cigarettes and a MFLB to replace rolled joints. I haven`t smoked cigarettes since 8 months ago and two days back i made my first magic flight.

Took me two vape sessions to get the hit right and i burned the green once. The experience is much much cleaner. I would like to compare it with watching a movie. While smoking green with tabacco, rolled in a paper it`s like watching a movie trough a thin curtain. You can see and hear which movie is on, but the curtain blocks most of it. The first good hit from the MLFB left me smiling. It`s heavy but clear at the same time. In my opinion there is much more control and the high is strong but clean. There is no "curtain", and it seemed like i was placed at the best row with an excellent view on the screen. The "movie" i vaped was "Amnesia" and the difference with a heavy Indica ;that i vaped later, was much clearer than i ever felt while smoking from papers. Not a couchlock from the indica, more like an very very sweet relaxation and the Amnesia got me really very very high:clap:. Vaping is way better than smoking and after a little practice the MFLB does a great job. Oh and i should not forget about the smell. Normally i smoked my joint outside because of the smell. Now i vaped inside and it smells like roasted sugar peanuts and it`s gone afther a few minutes. Great!:tup:

Now i have a few questions left;) After every session i clean the MFLB gently with the included brush. Like i wrote, i accidentally burned the green once, and i cleaned it with "petrolium ether". I`m not sure if that`s the right name for it. In Holland we call it "wasbenzine" like washing petrol http://www.frecoma.nl/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/Wasbenzine.jpg.
    I cleaned it with the brush and then left it open for an hour to make the smell dissapair. Then i turn on the MFLB for a few seconds to heat up and exhale air trough to make sure there was no smell left. Tried green the next day and it smelled fine. Is it a good way for cleaning or should i really buy the cleaning alcohol?

My last question is about the batteries. I have 4 original batteries (bought 2 extra), and once they get charged they get hot. Like burning hot; i need to use a towel to pick the batteries out when they`re full, otherwise i would seriously burn my fingers. All four batteries have the same problem. The included EU-adapter is placed on the charger to make it fit on the electrical grid. Already send a question about this to magicflight, because now i can only recharge those batteries while i`m at home in the same room. I don`t trust the batteries when they`re so hot.

So far, my first and very positive experience with the MFLB. Thanks for reading and sorry for any bad phrased lines; English is not my native language.
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2014
    crisallin, Kief, horst and 6 others like this.
  4. pakalolo

pakalolo RoboMod v3.17 (ticking) Staff Member

Welcome the MFLB Admiration Society. There's no need for apologies. Your phrasing is perfect.

Wasbenzine is benzene, not something I would recommend for cleaning your LB. Benzene is a known carcinogen. It also dissipates quickly and I doubt that you were exposed to it in any significant way but why take the risk? Use alcohol. Any sort of ISO will work, the higher the percentage the better. Pure ethanol works too but is harder to come by. You shouldn't need to clean your LB much anyway.

The batteries will get warm during charging but should not get hot. How fast are you charging them? They will get hotter the faster they are charged. If you are using the Magic-FLight charger then I recommend that you get in touch with them.
    horst, Vicki, mplx and 3 others like this.
  5. Ano

Ano FC Lover

Hi and welcome :)

First of, I really liked your movie description of vaping, nice one ;)

For the battery issue, all of mine (pre-glyph, glyph and Sanyo) also get really hot (too hot to handle more than 1-2 seconds) when charging, and they are all still working fine after maybe a year of use since purchase.

About charging only when you are at home, that's what I usually do myself, but once in a while I forget about them and unplug the charger maybe a few hours after the batteries are already full (green led on).
    When this happens, I've noticed that the batteries were clearly cooler than when I unplug them as soon as the green led lights up.

So, from my experience, I don't think them getting hot is damaging them, and I also don't think keeping them plugged in the charger while already full is a real hazard, as they seem to cool once they're full.

Edit: I always charge my batteries with the stock charger + cheap adapter that was included for use with EU power plugs when purchased from a french distributor.
    I also think it as already been reported a few times that some users experience hot (not just warm) batteries when using the stock charger.
    horst, Vicki, mplx and 3 others like this.
  6. sethhobrin

sethhobrin Well-Known Member

Amblacalma, mplx, poonman and 2 others like this.
  7. OF

OF Well-Known Member

Again, welcome to the Forum and all the fun. Lots of good folks with experience to help you along. PAK and the others have covered chemical safety, batteries and charging. I fully agree, heat is the enemy of batteries, you want them cool enough to hold at all times. Investigate that.

On the matter of cleaning. If you keep your herb dry to very dry going in there's very little cleaning to deal with. It seems the moisture is a serious problem in fouling? But 'talking points' for MFLB should include 'keep it dry, well ground, never loaded above the rails, hit easy, and shake between hits'. Remember almost all the good work (making vapor for us) is done by that small part of the load that actually contacts the mesh.

Enjoy your MFLB, you made a great choice!

OF
    horst, Vicki, mplx and 1 other person like this.
  8. mplx

mplx Active Member

Thanks, I will stop using wasbenzine for cleaning afther burning and buy some real alcohol. I had no idea that could be so harmful.

Yes i used the MFLB charger and the charger itself has no heating problems. Just the batteries during the last fase of charging. I already contacted magicflight.

:lol: I never vaped before and i was amazed by the difference in effect; it`s great. I never want to smoke herbs again:)

So i`m not only one experiencing hot batteries.. Maybe i`m just not used to very hot batteries right afther charging, and the description in the box told me it was a good idea to charge them overnight while sleeping. They are getting way too hot for me to sleep comfortable:uhoh:. Looking forward to read what M.F. will reply.

Maybe i should invest also a little in a quility charger like sethhobrin suggests

Yes i noticed that with moisturous material. I tried some marroc that i placed in very small paperboat that i folded; i saw that on youtube and it worked but i should buy a little cup for oils etc. especially for placing in the MFLB. Went perfect but what was left showed me what happens when material is too wet, it sticks and burns in (inside the paper this time;)).

After every hit i shake and knock it a little so everything is mixed up and gets heated equally then i brush so all herbs are under the rails then i close for a new hit.

I bought a little wooden MF grinder with the LB and i fits exactly on the box. Not the best grinder i had but it`s small, and i grinds perfecly the right size. Some herbs keep sticking inside the grinder but i can brush them out. It also from maple wood like the LB, i like the smell from that wood :D

Thanks everyone for the friendly and helpful replies
    nopartofme, Kief, Stu and 2 others like this.
  9. green13

green13 Member

I know that the mflb is a favorite here and in every review I've read. Even by those who have many of the best and most expensive vapes. So it's not surprising that I love it and it works great for me in virtually every way but is it weird that I just can't bring myself to buy another vape even though I want one? I can't seem to justify spending any amount of money to get basically the same thing I have now. If I knew that the Pax or the Indica or even the lotus or any of the others were way better as far as hits and flavor I might feel differently. But every time I think I've made a decision, I read some negatives about each one and not enough positives to outweigh the box.

I've had no problems with my mflb nor has my sister had any with hers and each are being used several times a day. Maybe I'm researching too much:bang: But for now, I really have no complaints to justify purchasing another vape. I want a compact portable unit so the choices are limited. And I have my heat gun/bag vape to use if needed.

So this is just a general, "I think I love my mflb and it's all I need for now kinda post" :tup:

:shrug:tomorrow I may be shopping again :mental:
  10. pakalolo

pakalolo RoboMod v3.17 (ticking) Staff Member

There is one excellent reason for buying another vapourizer: backup.
    tony yayo, OF, green13 and 2 others like this.
  11. horst

horst Well-Known Member

100% agree, often think about the same. While browsing this awesome forum you get caught while thinking about a lot of vapes, but always concluding to stay with the Box and just be happy.

But I followed @pakalolo advice and got a backup. Didn't wanted to spend a lot but wanted something reliable as a backup and was also curios about the high from a convection type of vape.
    There's some good stuff in the same price range as the MFLB. :brow:

On the other side there are two more wood types of MFLBs to be explored. :evil:

Greetings,
    horst
    green13 likes this.
  12. green13

green13 Member

Lol, yes agreed. I almost bought another etched mflb a few weeks ago but thought it would be an unnecessary luxury purchase so I cancelled :cry: I tend to over think and rationalize myself into a mindless daze.

I do have the heatgun/bag as backup. And if my mflb were to fail and I was out and about I suppose I could revert to blazing up a joint :uhoh:

Seriously though, @pakalolo is right, I do need a back up vape. Anxious to see what happens with the grasshopper.
    horst likes this.
  13. Ano

Ano FC Lover

I myself never really smoked (no cigarette ever and only about 50 puffs on a few passing joints over a 6 year period), so that's fun to read such a nice metaphorical comparison on smoking vs. vaping.
    This confirms what I thought. I haven't missed much.

I'm not sure if you're talking about that, but Magic Flight provides "concentrate trays" to use concentrates/oils with the MFLB.
    It should be easy to find them online from EU headshops.
    green13 and Vicki like this.
  14. green13

green13 Member

I also find that combustion hits leave me feeling icky, especially after the effect wears off. I feel dull, tired and usually am left with a headache as well, almost like I'd been drinking. Plus, after being so used to the sweet clean taste of vaping, the taste of burnt weed is horrible :ugh:
  15. bambithedeer

bambithedeer Member

Hey everyone,
    I just recently got a MFLB on massdrop. I previously had a different launch box but I had to get rid of it. With this new box, the batteries get stuck in the hole and it is hard to stop the box from heating up. Instead of pressing the batteries in, I have to physically pull out the battery before my trench gets to hot. In other words it takes two hands for me to operate this new box when my old one only required my one hand. Is this something that loosens up overtime? Or is it a problem that requires returning the unit?
    $unnyblaq likes this.
  16. Ano

Ano FC Lover

The ring should loosen up a bit with use, but batteries aren't perfectly round, you should try to rotate them once inserted to find the position that causes the least friction.
  17. OF

OF Well-Known Member

Very true what you say. I like the hangover analogy, although I'm not sure the cause is the same....at least exactly. I had a roomie once who knew the secret here, it was the olives in the Martini that caused the problem, leave them out and gin is your friend. Never worked for me.

There's a lot of junk in smoke mixed in with the good stuff. Some of it mighty toxic I think. IMO 'the magic of vaping' is at two levels. First you don't incinerate half or more of your goods in some foolish blazing ritual, secondly you don't have to stick your face in the campfire to get off.

Spread the word.

OF
  18. bambithedeer

bambithedeer Member

I had a great idea for a automatic launch box today. I will be going to radio shack tomorrow to pick up some supplies and I will post my results later on tomorrow! It will have a case to hold a single double a battery with an on/off switch and an activation button. Hopefully it works well.
    $unnyblaq, green13, OF and 1 other person like this.
  19. OF

OF Well-Known Member

Good luck with it. Tough job, as I suspect you'll find out. You need to deal with like 15 Amps, not easy.

In use, the box needs about .75 Volts at 15 Amps (at the screen). Be careful with voltage drops, they're basically pushed as far as they can go as designed. You might end up needing a second battery?

Please let us know how it works out for you, I'm sure others would jump on a system that works.

OF
    Stu likes this.
  20. FlyingLow

FlyingLow Team NO SLEEP!

Could you use a 4s or 5s LiPo battery in combination with a 20amp BEC?
    http://www.castlecreations.com/products/ccbec.html

This Castle is likely Way overkill for this application, but I have used them for years in aircraft and they preform flawlessly as a power regulator with the ability to set the voltage output.
  21. turtle360

turtle360 New Member

Fellow Launchboxers please help me with this. This issue pertains to most any vape, but I use the box.

Consider that the thc is in the head of the trichomes and that the plant material is not supposed to be handled in a rough way that will knock off the heads. What happens when we put material through a grinder? With the launch box it's particularly important to grind it really fine. We must be destroying the potency. Now you'd think vape designers would be aware of this. Am I missing something here?
    RUDE BOY and $unnyblaq like this.
  22. RUDE BOY

RUDE BOY Space is the Place

You don't lose enough to worry about in my opinion, but if you do worry about such you can buy a vape that you don't need to grind your bud.
  23. $unnyblaq

$unnyblaq Well-Known Member

Vapolution 2.0 and herbalaire are two desktops that can take nugs,even the arizer solo can just smaller nugs.
    poonman, RUDE BOY and Vicki like this.
  24. Quetzalcoatl

Quetzalcoatl SPACE GOD

Oxidation of the cannabinoids/terpenes doesn't occur instantaneously, at least not that I've read. Stuff like light and heat degrade the compounds. I think a bit of grinding doesn't really matter much. Maybe in the long long run but I'm not losing any sleep over the missing trichomes in my coffee grinder. Even so with grinding if you can store it properly you can preserve a vast majority of the goodies and minimize any losses.
    poonman, OF, $unnyblaq and 1 other person like this.
  25. OF

OF Well-Known Member

Good question, shows yer thinking.

I agree, nothing is really lost. At least not enough to worry about. Grind some over a sheet of paper, or better still aluminum foil, and look for the ones that jumped ship. My theory is the trichomes that get cut, knocked or broken off end up sticking to some bit of bud and in your load.

The Q man has it again, 'you don't miss much'.

Handling is another matter, it sticks to you and gets lost.....

OF

Support FC, visit our trusted friends and sponsors