Vitolo

Vaporist
You need low discharge (LD) batteries. The 2500s pictured appear to be HD batteries.
If they are HD they will work, but the life span will be short.

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
When I say results I also mean in regards to actual colouration of the bud in the chamber, he can blacken his, I can at best muddy brown mine. That could be technique, but I've really tried a lot at this point.

http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=75344&vpn=HR-3UWXA4A&manufacture=Sanyo
Are these batteries solid? The MFLB faq says Eneloop is a good pick especially for holding charge, but im concerned with the 2500 rating. Thoughts?

EDIT: Search is my friend, they seem legit. Thanks a lot everyone

This is a sign of a cold LB. Try the procedure described in How can I tell if my Box is running too cool?

The rating you've quoted is MaH, which is a measure of how long the battery will last. 2500 is a good rating; the Imedion stock batteries are 2400 MaH.

I don't agree with Vitolo that you need LSD batteries, but he is right about the lifespan of HSD batteries being shorter. If you use HSD batteries every day, you might choose them because they tend to last a bit longer and deliver a bit more power to the screen. If you don't use them daily, they will probably have a short lifespan.

Vitolo

Vaporist
I don't agree with Vitolo that you need LSD batteries, but he is right about the lifespan of HSD batteries being shorter. If you use HSD batteries every day, you might choose them because they tend to last a bit longer and deliver a bit more power to the screen. If you don't use them daily, they will probably have a short lifespan.
True enough, pakalolo...
Correction- Need is a strong word.... You do not "NEED" LD Batteries, they simply have a much greater life expectancy!

OF

True enough, pakalolo...
Correction- Need is a strong word.... You do not "NEED" LD Batteries, they simply have a much greater life expectancy!

Excellent point. As a group we've lately become quite casual with this word. "XXX needs to YYY" has become a substitute for 'I think it might be a good idea if....'.

For sure an unusual happening for our Vitolo, usually the master of clear communications. Bet it's a long time before it happens again......

IMO he remains "The Sage of the High Desert".

OF

OF,
Reactions: Vitolo

rei

Wouldn't the fact that they're pre charged (and Eneloops which I thought by and large were LSD) suggest they're LSD?

rei,

MG23

Relaxin'
I own 8 of the Sanyo 2500 XX batteries. They are in fact LSD, not HSD.
If you want LSD batteries with capacity similar to HSD then definitely go with the Sanyo XX 2500's.

MG23,

Quetzalcoatl

DEADY GUERRERO/DIRT COBAIN/GEORGE KUSH
Congrats matthend, you'll find the PA changes the box once again, going from a stealthy option to a small (yet capable) beast. I can get some mighty foggy bong-loads with the vape and some finely ground material. I mean I can get them with batteries anyways, but it's just quicker and more fulfilling using the PA.

Today's sessions brought to you by the OG's and batteries! Earth/Diablo OG and a speck of Chocolope here and there for some nice sativa.

Quick question, those that are rocking the batteries, how many trenches are you seeing on average per battery? Wanted to highlight something here, I mean stock/aftermarket batteries.

Edit: Vito, I ended up watching another video of yours with a different vaporizer... where the hell do you hide all that vapor? You're getting RIDICULOUS rips, with the LB and other vaporizers (saw the life saber + wand hash video, WOW) !!

Quetzalcoatl,

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
Wouldn't the fact that they're pre charged (and Eneloops which I thought by and large were LSD) suggest they're LSD?

Yes, pre-charged batteries are LSD. I also think you're right about Eneloops, I didn't pick up on that. 2500 MaH is a high capacity for an LSD battery.

pakalolo,

skippy

Well made another convert. About two weeks ago, my buddy broke down and ordered his box and has loved it ever since. he called me this morning and I just ordered 2 PA'a to save on shipping!!:rockon:

I really love the new exotic wood boxes... beautiful!!!!
Yes the exotic boxes are beautiful, I would dearly love one, but I already have two boxes so I probably should not be so greedy.

skippy,

BigDaddyVapor

@BigDogJunction
BEST THREAD EVER!

So awesome to log on and see a question asked, then not only an answer but 4 or 5 people, explaining the answer!

We are so lucky, to have such a resource.

BigDaddyVapor,
Reactions: Vicki

Hey all, lurker here and MFLB fanatic.

I'm already the proud owner of a maple launch box which I love but have had some issues lately with achieving good temperatures. I'm unsure if it's my box that is causing the issue (possible broken connections on flimsy screen?) or if it's just the batteries. It is also quite possible that sprinkling a small bit of hash on the trench has caused the screen to be slightly clogged (although I do clean it with iso quite often).

I'm really keen on buying a power adapter as I find myself using my box near a power outlet most of the time. Also from the reviews it sounds like it brings a whole other dimension to the box.

I live in New Zealand and purchased my first kit through a New Zealand stockist because of fears customs may confiscate it. Now I've had a friend accidentally combust in my current box and I badly want a nice exotic wood or darker wood box. I'm also keen on a whole lot of other accessories too.

Does anyone have any idea how long roughly it would take for me to receive everything if I ordered tonight?

I'm so keen for a dark wood launch box! they look mint!

PS: I smoke quite often with a group, would just the Power adapter be fine? Or should I invest in a whip? (if yes what size whip?).

ALSO, what annoys me the most is the nano grinder. I love it's size but it's not the best. Has anyone else found a grinder that fits the bowl of the launch box but grinds a lot nicer?

Cheers!

Seek

Apprentice Daydreamer
Hey all, lurker here and MFLB fanatic.
Welcome.
I'm already the proud owner of a maple launch box which I love but have had some issues lately with achieving good temperatures. I'm unsure if it's my box that is causing the issue (possible broken connections on flimsy screen?) or if it's just the batteries. It is also quite possible that sprinkling a small bit of hash on the trench has caused the screen to be slightly clogged (although I do clean it with iso quite often).
Don't use hash or anything similar pure in the MFLB. If you want to do so, mix it into herbs so it will soak into them and not into the hot screen. It can leave some carbon on the screen which is hard to clean (and not soluble in iso). But imo not very performance impairing. If the light is not as shiny as used to be then your batteries are probably weaker (or the light clogged, but you should see that).
I'm really keen on buying a power adapter as I find myself using my box near a power outlet most of the time. Also from the reviews it sounds like it brings a whole other dimension to the box.
Do it. If you use the box like this then PA is perfect for you. It brings better performance indeed. But it will be still MFLB, don't expect convection hits, just MFLB hits at their full potential.
I live in New Zealand and purchased my first kit through a New Zealand stockist because of fears customs may confiscate it. Now I've had a friend accidentally combust in my current box and I badly want a nice exotic wood or darker wood box. I'm also keen on a whole lot of other accessories too.
I don't think MFLB is likely to be confiscated. When I was at customs for my MFLB, I've told them it's for tobacco and it's like an e-cig. No more questions. Don't know how its on NZ...
As for acessories, I've found whip to be very useful with MFLB. It allows you to see everything better and shake even while hitting. Also two ABV containers were really good investment for me - one for herbs, one for ABV. Nanogrinder is really good grinder for the MFLB too. Fine grind and fits the bowl.
Does anyone have any idea how long roughly it would take for me to receive everything if I ordered tonight?
Probably anywhere from 1 week to a month.
PS: I smoke quite often with a group, would just the Power adapter be fine? Or should I invest in a whip? (if yes what size whip?).
I don't see MFLB as a group vape. It is technique driven vape and everyone just wants to roll a joint instead of learning how to properly use a device. If they know how to use it, then the PA is definitely good for that and whip can be helpful too. Short whip is more than enough for personal use, don't know if group setting would require longer.
ALSO, what annoys me the most is the nano grinder. I love it's size but it's not the best. Has anyone else found a grinder that fits the bowl of the launch box but grinds a lot nicer?
Is it really a nano grinder? :D I've been getting fine grinds everytime with my nano. Only if it didn't had magnet pressing herbs at the center. Are your herbs dry enough so the grinder could be able to grind them?

Thanks Seek.

I did stop mixing in hash because of the possible problems. Do you think the launch box with power adapter and whip could suffice for around 3-4 people?

I'm pretty sure it's the same nano grinder magic-flight sells. I have the aluminium one but my issue is it's so small it gets gummed up fairly fast to the point where you take ages to get a nice fine grind. I would be so much more happy if it hardly ever got jammed.

On the topic of grinders, do all of you find the nano grinder to be good?

I'm super excited to get a dark launch box, imagine a launch box made out of ebony or bubinga! and a glass top.

Also, do the ABV containers fit the bowl of the LB like the nano grinder?

Seek

Apprentice Daydreamer
I did stop mixing in hash because of the possible problems. Do you think the launch box with power adapter and whip could suffice for around 3-4 people?
Only if all of them can use the box well and do not have high tolerance. I think big group won't be happy much only of one launch box. I think that's too much for this tiny vape. For >3 people its usually better to have a bag or a convection direct hit desktop.
I have the aluminium one but my issue is it's so small it gets gummed up fairly fast to the point where you take ages to get a nice fine grind. I would be so much more happy if it hardly ever got jammed.
The grinder need to be cleaned of gunk after every 5-10 grinds at the place wher tho parts connect. You don't need to clean it whole, just scrape it out of that part with your thumbnail or scissors or something.
Also, do the ABV containers fit the bowl of the LB like the nano grinder?
No, they're bigger. But why? Herbs from the container goes to the grinder or scissors not the MFLB. And dumping MFLB out to container doesn't need fit, its actually better bigger.

Seek,

Yeah, everyone in the group knows how to use it fairly well.
So I guess I haven't been performing enough maintenance on my grinder.

And the reason I asked about the ABV containers is because I was thinking of pre grinding my material and storing it in an ABV container. This would allow for very fast refills of the trench with minimal wastage.

Since you seem quite knowledgeable about the launch box do you have little known tips/trips/secrets? or any recommendations on anything?

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
Yeah, everyone in the group knows how to use it fairly well.
So I guess I haven't been performing enough maintenance on my grinder.

And the reason I asked about the ABV containers is because I was thinking of pre grinding my material and storing it in an ABV container. This would allow for very fast refills of the trench with minimal wastage.

Since you seem quite knowledgeable about the launch box do you have little known tips/trips/secrets? or any recommendations on anything?

I suspect your material is also not really dry. The MFLB likes dry material, and so does your grinder.

pakalolo,
Reactions: OF

Yeah, you'd be correct in saying that. I've recently changed to a different supplier and this isn't as dried as the previous stuff.

OF

I think you've been given some sound advice. Dry your herb out even more, grind it (a larger grinder will do fine for this) then dry it some more if necessary. Use your little grinder for a final grind when it's good and dry and it will go well. Fouling in the box will also 'not happen' (or be a minor issue compared to before). Don't put hash in it, grief is sure to follow. This is why the maker says not to. Question your batteries if performance drops off over time. A good test is to vape a bit then swap in the best battery you have fresh from the charger if things get better, time to consider new batteries.

Lastly, consider doing a 'cleaning burn' or two. Leave the lid open, trench empty, and put a fresh battery in and run it a solid minute or even more (hoping the increased heat will burn contamination off the screen).

You can kill the box by abuse and batteries do get weak over time, but given fine grind of dry herb it should go a very long time without trouble.

Good luck.

OF

My warranty box hasn't come yet. :( I really needed it for this weekend but...oh well guess I'll have to practice my patience more.

Anyway, since we are on the topic of batteries and grinds I will share how I set up my grind and some quick discussion on "resetting" batteries. In terms of a fine grind if you are lucky enough to come by, or purchase, a Mendo Mulcher for Vaporizers grinder that one is ideal in my opinion. It is more convenient because it's a standard 4 piece so you don't need to worry about unnecessary "gunk" building up.

But if you don't have one of these using a 2 piece works fine. My friend recently purchased an Illadelph and they gave him a 2 piece space case that he in turn gave me since he already has a 4 piece see-through Sharpstone. The 2 piece works great, just grind it onto paper and then I slide it into the lid of the MFLB tin and if the weather is favorable(California Sunshine, or I guess any sunny day anywhere just with as little wind as possible...) and I let it sit for maybe an hour depends on how hot it is outside. Afterwards it's perfect for the MFLB!

Has anyone used the chargers with a "refresh" option? My Sony's have that option and it seemed to work the first time I tried it but since them it doesn't seem to actually "refresh" the way it's supposed to. They are HSD if that makes any difference. BUT, even though the refresh did not help as much as the first time they are still several times more powerful than the imedions that came with the MFLB.

VapingLobster,

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
Has anyone used the chargers with a "refresh" option? My Sony's have that option and it seemed to work the first time I tried it but since them it doesn't seem to actually "refresh" the way it's supposed to. They are HSD if that makes any difference.

What was it about the second refresh that made you unhappy?
BUT, even though the refresh did not help as much as the first time they are still several times more powerful than the imedions that came with the MFLB.

How are you measuring that?

pakalolo,
What was it about the second refresh that made you unhappy?

How are you measuring that?
Originally my Sony batteries would last for about an hour each and not lose power over time until it was completely out of power. I understand that sentence might be confusing so I'll try to clarify. The Imedions that came with my box would be great for the first trench, then by the second one I would have to hold the battery in maybe 10 seconds longer and by the third one approximately 15 seconds longer and then by the fourth one usually dead. The Sony batteries on the other hand could do maybe 5-6 trenches NO PROBLEM with constant power output and much lower wait time for vapor. The weird thing is that, and I assume this is the difference between HSD and LSD, but the Sony batteries would not gradually lose power but once it was used up it would go from full power to nothing. The Imedions however would slowly lose power starting from the very beginning.

I.e.
Battery -> trench 1 -> trench 2 -> trench 3 -> etc
Imedions -> Great -> Okay -> Not so good -> nothing
Sony -> GREAT -> GREAT -> GREAT -> GREAT -> nothing

Also as far as judging the second refresh to be not as helpful, the first refresh took their run time from about 45 minutes each to an hour and now when the batteries are "degraded" to the same degree(they are running for about 45 instead of an hour now) the refresh did not change their run time, still approximately 45 minutes.

I'm not using anything scientific to measure them but just by putting each battery in the Sony batteries last much longer and the light is much brighter and they do not get as hot nor do they lose their charge just by sitting there. My main issue with the Imedions is that if I charge them the day before the next day it's like I have lost a trench or two's worth of batteries whereas the Sony batteries are just as strong even if I leave them for a couple days after charging.

VapingLobster,

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
Originally my Sony batteries would last for about an hour each and not lose power over time until it was completely out of power. I understand that sentence might be confusing so I'll try to clarify. The Imedions that came with my box would be great for the first trench, then by the second one I would have to hold the battery in maybe 10 seconds longer and by the third one approximately 15 seconds longer and then by the fourth one usually dead. The Sony batteries on the other hand could do maybe 5-6 trenches NO PROBLEM with constant power output and much lower wait time for vapor. The weird thing is that, and I assume this is the difference between HSD and LSD, but the Sony batteries would not gradually lose power but once it was used up it would go from full power to nothing. The Imedions however would slowly lose power starting from the very beginning.

I.e.
Battery -> trench 1 -> trench 2 -> trench 3 -> etc
Imedions -> Great -> Okay -> Not so good -> nothing
Sony -> GREAT -> GREAT -> GREAT -> GREAT -> nothing

Also as far as judging the second refresh to be not as helpful, the first refresh took their run time from about 45 minutes each to an hour and now when the batteries are "degraded" to the same degree(they are running for about 45 instead of an hour now) the refresh did not change their run time, still approximately 45 minutes.

I'm not using anything scientific to measure them but just by putting each battery in the Sony batteries last much longer and the light is much brighter and they do not get as hot nor do they lose their charge just by sitting there. My main issue with the Imedions is that if I charge them the day before the next day it's like I have lost a trench or two's worth of batteries whereas the Sony batteries are just as strong even if I leave them for a couple days after charging.

As I just stated a few posts back, the discharge curve for NiMH batteries (LSD or HSD) is the same, and it behaves the way you describe your Sony batteries. There is a small drop initially then a stable output until they are nearly exhausted, then a sudden decline. HSD batteries should deliver a bit more power than LSD. Imedions should not behave the way you describe, and the ones I've owned haven't. I just bought 4 new Imedions so I will see how they compare.

All batteries gradually lose their capability to generate power gradually from the moment of manufacture. Different chemistries alter the rate of loss, which is why we have HSD and LSD batteries. LSD batteries sacrifice a bit of power output and overall capacity in order to get a battery that retains its charge over a long period. A refresh cycle on your charger can't restore that lost capacity. If you do a refresh on a brand new 2400 MaH battery, you will not get 2400 MaH, more likely it will be closer to 2300 MaH. Every time you discharge a NiMH battery, it loses some of that capacity. A refresh cycle can't get it back. Additionally, the way the LB discharges the battery is somewhat abusive, further limiting lifespan.

I don't know if I've helped you, but what I'm saying is that you shouldn't expect a refresh cycle to make your batteries like new again, and that your Imedions aren't behaving the way Imedions should (in my experience).

pakalolo,
Reactions: OF

skippy

I have found the best grind for a MFLB is a coffee grinder, works perfect every time.
I'm just about to purchase some new batteries myself, but I can't decide which ones. I usually buy the ones sent out by the local distributor of MFLB in Australia, but I had a look in the supermarket yesterday and saw some 2700 rechargables, I think I might give them a whirle to see if they are a better hitter.

BigDaddyVapor

@BigDogJunction
Secret to the Nano grinder. First... DRY bud. You do not want to feel ripping/tearing/shredding. We want grinding. 20 full turns (yes, I'm that anal) one way, 20 full turns the other way.

Bravo, perfect.

Now, if you want it even better. Coffee grinder, set to espresso. Hell yeah!

Top Bottom