PUFFiT portable

CarlosSpiceyWeiner

UPDATE.. It was not a dead battery.. I did not realize you have to put the cap on and leave it on for 2 or 3 seconds to turn it on after charging... I was just putting the cap on for like 1 second..

Good news!

How did you come to that conclusion?

CarlosSpiceyWeiner,

Kuroth1

Get your Freak on....
Good news!

How did you come to that conclusion?

Well good question.. As I said when I reported this, I thought my unit was dead.. So I hooked it up to the USB and then came back in about 10 min and the light was out.. I said to myself hummmmmmm It is fully charged so must be something else.. Then I put the cap on and left it about 3 or 4 seconds and presto...

OF

I think if you bring it up to temp take a few hits and save the rest for later. Then bring it back up to temp again to finish off the rest. Will waste more battery life then if you finish it all the first time.

I think that's a very safe statement to make.

Consider that from a 'cold start' it runs at full power for two minutes to get to temperature, then maybe is powered for the 15 second hit. Let's assume those numbers are right and full power is used during the hit (definitely not happening, at most it would have to be partial power, but let's say it is?) that means that 8/9 of the time the battery is heating it's not making vapor. 11% (at most) of the power is used for vapor if each hit is a cold start.

As another measure, if you cycle it again immediately after the 15 second hit, how long until you get the green light again?

I suspect in the end this will make a huge difference in hit count. Energy management is not easy......but necessary.

OF

OF,

Jenny

VapeGirl
I think if you bring it up to temp take a few hits and save the rest for later. Then bring it back up to temp again to finish off the rest. Will waste more battery life then if you finish it all the first time.

Earlier i packed a bowl with some Keif in the middle. By the 3rd or 4th hit i blew out clouds like never before that made me cough my lungs out.

Last time i packed Kief i was blowing vapor but not like that.

Usually I smoke a full bowl, put away, pack another and then the power dies. But I have also done a few sneak a tokes where it was only 2 hits at max. It's hard to know for sure, there are so many variables to each person, how they smoke, charge, idle etc..

I also did the kief in the middle, but I didn't get anymore vapor than I usually got...but I only sprinkled a little since I taped my grinder kief area to save until my birthday.

Jenny,

Dreamerr

Always in a state of confusion and silliness♀
So Jenny you can't take it out for the day and use it without the battery dying. It sounds like if you go for a day and and some point in a few hours while you are out you hit the first bowl and then you can't get anymore. If this is true that isn't good at all. I can easily get three of my DV or MFLB.

Dreamerr,

CarlosSpiceyWeiner

So Jenny you can't take it out for the day and use it without the battery dying. It sounds like if you go for a day and and some point in a few hours while you are out you hit the first bowl and then you can't get anymore. If this is true that isn't good at all. I can easily get three of my DV or MFLB.

I usually get 2 bowls about 20-25 hits total before it dies.

On some occasions i only get one bowl around 10-15 hits then it completely dies.

There are just too many variables to accurately test the battery life. Because it will be different for almost everyone.

First, would be what setting do you leave it on? Do you leave on 8 like i do? Or do you start at 6 and work your way up?

Second, do you finish the bowl right away or let it cool down and finish the rest later?

Third, How long in between the 15 second draw do you wait to draw again? Do you take consecutive hits or do you pause in between hits?

Just these 3 variables alone will greatly effect the performance of your battery.

OF would you care to clarify this for us?

Kuroth1

Get your Freak on....
Ok.. Used it some(for really the first time) last night... I am liking this thing better.. The nasty plastic taste was not as bad as I thought it would be but it is still bad.. Just hope it does go away over time..

I do have one question for you guys... Since this thing really dont produce much vapor, how do you guys determine when a bowl is done? Just by taste?

Kuroth1,

CarlosSpiceyWeiner

Ok.. Used it some(for really the first time) last night... I am liking this thing better.. The nasty plastic taste was not as bad as I thought it would be but it is still bad.. Just hope it does go away over time..

I do have one question for you guys... Since this thing really dont produce much vapor, how do you guys determine when a bowl is done? Just by taste?

Yes, taste is one way.

Also while i'm stirring i check for even browning of the herb.

CarlosSpiceyWeiner,

Ontariovapes

So I tried it out for the first time today. I just put in a quarter bowl as I was in a hurry to get somewhere. I did ten 15 sec hits with rests in between each and shaking to mix during rests. It was set on six. I got visible vape on every exhale, the ABV was a Ogden brown so more hits were likely still left, but lo and behold, I tasted no plastic what so ever. It is a bit of a heavy draw but I have no other complaints whatsoever. I tried the leak test and nothing came out the top. I was using a very fine grind too. No smell either. Just to be sure I closed the door and when I came back from my errand the room smelled pristine. There is one way the top goes on better than the other as was mentioned before so I have marked it for future use. I am very, very pleased so far. More testing need be done. The only difference I can tell us that mine came from California, and most of the folks tasting plastic got their units from NJ. I can't comment, just pointing it out. I was looking forward to a side by side comparison to the Pax by Ploom, but as I ordered a purple one, it won't be shipped until the fifteenth. I guess we'll have to wait a few weeks for that. Stay tuned.

OF

There are just too many variables to accurately test the battery life. Because it will be different for almost everyone.

First, would be what setting do you leave it on? Do you leave on 8 like i do? Or do you start at 6 and work your way up?

Second, do you finish the bowl right away or let it cool down and finish the rest later?

Third, How long in between the 15 second draw do you wait to draw again? Do you take consecutive hits or do you pause in between hits?

Just these 3 variables alone will greatly effect the performance of your battery.

OF would you care to clarify this for us?

Clarify what? I think you're spot on. Bully! Hit count as a bare number is meaningless as a specification for the very sorts of reasons you cite. The best we can hope for is folk's experiences and the conditions they happened in. I think it's reasonable to expect all units to perform basically the same (defects withstanding) as there just isn't enough difference between new batteries and insulation (and other losses) to make a significant difference.

Hey, for the fun of it, how about testing it? Do a run of 'chain hits' for say ten hits (a typical bowl) then let it cool and go again. Then, when it stalls, recharge and try again with single hits with long cool off times. And a run of chain hits without break until it dies. If you want to be scientific, recharge and run the first test again right away to prove your first data set and show the battery didn't suffer in the process?

As a guess, the guy trying to sell it will use the last number? The guy with the biggest problem will be looking at the middle test? The rest of us will probably find battery life more in line with the first. If someone would run this series of tests for us, perhaps we could get a feel for this?

Most folks want to know 'how many sessions will I get'. And that, as CSW so rightly points out, depends?

OF

OF,

Kuroth1

Get your Freak on....
So I tried it out for the first time today. I just put in a quarter bowl as I was in a hurry to get somewhere. I did ten 15 sec hits with rests in between each and shaking to mix during rests. It was set on six. I got visible vape on every exhale, the ABV was a Ogden brown so more hits were likely still left, but lo and behold, I tasted no plastic what so ever. It is a bit of a heavy draw but I have no other complaints whatsoever. I tried the leak test and nothing came out the top. I was using a very fine grind too. No smell either. Just to be sure I closed the door and when I came back from my errand the room smelled pristine. There is one way the top goes on better than the other as was mentioned before so I have marked it for future use. I am very, very pleased so far. More testing need be done. The only difference I can tell us that mine came from California, and most of the folks tasting plastic got their units from NJ. I can't comment, just pointing it out. I was looking forward to a side by side comparison to the Pax by Ploom, but as I ordered a purple one, it won't be shipped until the fifteenth. I guess we'll have to wait a few weeks for that. Stay tuned.

Good deal and interesting you have no bad taste and the theory of Cal vs NJ shipped(Mine came from NJ).. Not sure how that could matter but who knows.. I too did the shake test with nothing coming out but to me I wonder if the cap could come loose like if you stuck it in your pocket or something ect.. It does seem like it could easily come loose but dont know yet.. visible vape on every exhale interesting too as so far I have not got any.. I have had mine set on just a little past 6...

Just found out I am going to the AeroSmith concert tonight but I am not brave enough to take any of my toys out of my house(I am in a pretty strict State) So will have to try and play around with my Puffit more tomorrow..

Yes let us know once you have the Pax. That is another one I was watching but I am not going to get a PAX unless I just hear nothing but raving great reviews.... I think in time I will end up loving my Puffit..

Kuroth1,

Ontariovapes

I know SliM loves his Pax but it better be head and shoulders better than the Puffit to warrant the hundred dollar premium price. Stay tuned.

Ontariovapes,

Kuroth1

Get your Freak on....
I know SliM loves his Pax but it better be head and shoulders better than the Puffit to warrant the hundred dollar premium price. Stay tuned.

So True.. One BIG reason I got the Puffit.. $139... Still even with the issues I am VERY impressed with the Puffits price point... Yes the Pax will have to walk on water and get like ZERO bad reviews to tempt me at that price...

Kuroth1,

Slightly Medicated

(SliM) Iron Lungs

The build quality alone makes it is worth the $100 price premium over the PUFFiT. I can tell just by looking at the photos that is is better built then the PUFFiT. The materials just look more expensive in the PAX. I can't compare the performance. I have a PUFFT on order, but it will not ship till sometime in August.

The price point is not far off from several other portables.

Interestingly if you go back and read the PAX thread, before I got my unit I said I did not think it should cost over $150. Now that I have the unit though I changed my mind. I don't feel uncomfortable paying $250 for the device given the current performance and build quality.

Slightly Medicated,
Reactions: Tim

Kuroth1

Get your Freak on....
The build quality alone makes it is worth the $100 price premium over the PUFFiT. I can tell just by looking at the photos that is is better built then the PUFFiT. The materials just look more expensive in the PAX. I can't compare the performance. I have a PUFFT on order, but it will not ship till sometime in August.

The price point is not far off from several other portables.

Interestingly if you go back and read the PAX thread, before I got my unit I said I did not think it should cost over $150. Now that I have the unit though I changed my mind. I don't feel uncomfortable paying $250 for the device given the current performance and build quality.

Thanks for the Info. How was smell of the unit itself and taste of the Pax??? Any plastic smell or taste at all from the Pax? How long does a battery charge last on the Pax? How are the hits on the Pax? Lot of vapor that is visible? How easy is it to clean? What is the charge time..

Thanks!

Kuroth1,

Slightly Medicated

(SliM) Iron Lungs
Thanks for the Info. How was smell of the unit itself and taste of the Pax??? Any plastic smell or taste at all from the Pax? How long does a battery charge last on the Pax? How are the hits on the Pax? Lot of vapor that is visible? How easy is it to clean? What is the charge time..

Thanks!

No plastic smell taste. It is all Stainless Steel Vapor Path.
The smell during use is not bad... middle of the pack I would say.
The battery lasts about 1.5-2 hours depending on heat settings.
The hits are great. (See Video Below)
Easy to clean. You just need some pipe cleaners, ISO, a cup, and some paper towels. Everything comes apart easily. You can gain access to all parts of the vapor pathway.
It charges in about an hour. I leave mine on the charger stand when not in use.

yimsta

The pax looks great, but those clouds are huge and it almost looks like smoke. The puffit does not produce nearly as much clouds, which makes it more discreet.

yimsta,

Kuroth1

Get your Freak on....
Impressive.. Man how much does one bowl hold.. You got a lot of massive visible vapor on just that one bowl???.. Was that a led pencil I saw you stir the bowl with???? :o If so, dude you done smoked yourself retarded LoL j/k

Nice Video...

Kuroth1,

Tim

The pax looks great, but those clouds are huge and it almost looks like smoke. The puffit does not produce nearly as much clouds, which makes it more discreet.

You can choose to use a lower temp or have smaller draws with the Pax. It doesn't make it any less "discreet" because you have the option of huge clouds.. a limitation of the PuffIt is not a feature, lol.

Tim,
Reactions: Azlum

Jenny

VapeGirl
I have a question...

So they say if the puffit isn't in use, it should be plugged in, well I usually only use the puffit on the go, and there will be days where I don't leave my house, and it's just plugged in for 2 days straight without use, is that acceptable?

Jenny,

Kuroth1

Get your Freak on....
I have a question...

So they say if the puffit isn't in use, it should be plugged in, well I usually only use the puffit on the go, and there will be days where I don't leave my house, and it's just plugged in for 2 days straight without use, is that acceptable?

I believe so.. I believe they say this is actually better for these types of battery to be left charged up/charging all the time..

So leaving it on the charger helps and does not hurt..

Someone else that knows more can chime in here..

Kuroth1,

VaporsVaporizer

On the Stoop
I have a question...

I leave mine plugged in all the time when not in use and i have left it for a few days on several different occasions, no problem.

VaporsVaporizer,

Dreamerr

Always in a state of confusion and silliness♀
How long will it last off the charger. It seemed like Jenny said it loses a lot of power when taken out for the day even with very little use. If you fill the bowl and it gets 12 hits and you don't hit it all at once lets say 3 hits at a time will the battery last the full bowl? So that would mean getting to full heat three times.

Dreamerr,

Ontariovapes

SliM, I will defer to you on the build quality if the Pax. It looks like you and I will be the first dual owners so I look forward to comparing notes. So far I can say that the Puffit is priced right at $139. Is not the same build as the Pax for sure i.e. plastic body vs aluminum I'm very happy with the Puffit at its price point, and I'm willing to bet that the same will hold true of the Pax. I was prompted to buy the Puffit for its looks alone vis a vis the stealth factor of being a medical device look alike. I'm sure for some users the extra hundred bucks will be a deal breaker particularly since so many of us live on fixed income pensions. The important thing here, I believe, is that each of them provide good value for their price, and get you where you need to go. I look forward to comparing.

Ontariovapes,

Kuroth1

Get your Freak on....
How long will it last off the charger. It seemed like Jenny said it loses a lot of power when taken out for the day even with very little use. If you fill the bowl and it gets 12 hits and you don't hit it all at once lets say 3 hits at a time will the battery last the full bowl? So that would mean getting to full heat three times.

Good question and I just completed a battery test with mine over the last 3 days and I am pretty happy with my results.. What I did was I started my test Friday night after mine had been on the charger for 24hrs.. And then during this 3 day test I DID NOT put it back on the charger.. Wanted to take it from Fully charged to completely empty on one charge to see what I get..

Friday night 6 15 second sessions
Sat night 12 15 second sessions
(before leaving for the concert since I did not have to Drive) Cheap Trick and AeroSmith were great BTW and felt pretty nice for the first 2 hrs.. :rockon:
Sun(Just now) 12 15 second sessions (Note: as the battery was getting low I believe the green light went from 15 seconds to 10 seconds.. Not sure if this is normal or not but makes sense as the charge is running out

So 30 total sessions (2 bowls ) on one charge...

Then the red light started flashing real fast and then turned off.. (Note: the battery check feature did not work at all.. Light stayed green on battery check all the way up until it ran out and then battery check showed orange)

The plastic taste seems to be going away fast for me also.. After 3 days and 30 sessions I cant hardly taste it..

On a side note.. I have not seen one trace of vapor the whole time I have used it so far but for sure feel it.. I have mine set on 6 1/2 Going to try it on 7 next time..

Getting happier and happier with my Puffit each day now...

Kuroth1,
Top Bottom