PUFFiT portable

OF

Since paper burns at 451F so since it doesn't touch the really hot parts it should be fine but I'll report back if not.

I think maybe you've been watching too much TV, it's just a movie title.....

I'd be more concerned about what might bake out of it (out gassing) than combustion. Then again, combustion starts with out gassing, right? Paper (or wood products for that matter) are not commonly used for such purposes.

Your call, of course, but I would not make that assumption and think you might want to reconsider it?

Good luck.

OF

OF,

Coastal

I think maybe you've been watching too much TV, it's just a movie title.....

I'd be more concerned about what might bake out of it (out gassing) than combustion. Then again, combustion starts with out gassing, right? Paper (or wood products for that matter) are not commonly used for such purposes.

Your call, of course, but I would not make that assumption and think you might want to reconsider it?

Good luck.

OF

Believe it or not 451F is the combusion point of paper. I will continue with mint for a few bowls without inhaling to be sure. I assume they wouldn't put any toxic chemicals in the paper they use to seal aspirin bottles. More worried about the other vapors folks are tasting.

Also my MFLB is totally made out of wood surrounding the oven. I did taste a wood flavor for a while with it, I hope it wasn't treated like board fence :)

Coastal,

Dogman

Vaporist Extrordinair
I did a test last night and got 32 hits from a single charge, on 3 separate sessions. The bowl was still giving vapor when the battery shut down. I should also mention it was tamped down with about 1/3 of the top of the bowl showing, any more than that it gets hard to stir without dumping substance all over.

Dogman,
Reactions: OF

aj0125

I did a test last night and got 32 hits from a single charge, on 3 separate sessions. The bowl was still giving vapor when the battery shut down. I should also mention it was tamped down with about 1/3 of the top of the bowl showing, any more than that it gets hard to stir without dumping substance all over.
I need to sit down with a piece of paper and count how many hits I am getting as it feels like people are getting more hits per charge than I am.

Side note: 10 bowls in and gross taste/smell are as strong as ever.

aj0125,
Reactions: OF

OF

Believe it or not 451F is the combusion point of paper.

You're welcome to believe what you want as well. To me it defies logic that all types of paper have such an exact flashpoint. I'm not alone on this, really:

"Temperatures vary widely in the literature and should only be used as estimates."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autoignition_temperature

You'll note footnotes to two very trustworthy papers with widely different numbers. Like 400 degrees F difference.

I'm also not so sure the folks that bottled the aspirin were expecting much above room temperature. I'm betting the plastic isn't good to 451F?

I understand the Urban Legend, of course, but really prefer science when it's so available.

I need to sit down with a piece of paper and count how many hits I am getting as it feels like people are getting more hits per charge than I am.

Side note: 10 bowls in and gross taste/smell are as strong as ever.

I suggested a bit ago, there's no 'standard hit' making it very hard to compare stuff. I think it's important to try to also convey the details is we're going to be able to make sense.

Given even modest quality batteries this young there will be a very small difference in their real capacity. Charger circuits can effect this some, but not all that much really either (except if they're flat out defective), small errors in terminal voltage (and they will be small, the charger ICs are made pretty precise and basically 'like peas in a pod') effect battery lifespan more than capacity. I'd say worst case the lowest capacity cell is no more than 10% below the highest. I don't think 'weak' or 'strong' batteries are an issue.

However, as I understand the machine it heats the bowl to a given temperature then signals you to hit. It's unclear if it throttles heat back at that point or just cuts it off (IMO more likely) in the interest of battery life. Being as how we need to heat from room temperature to 400 degrees to start the show, there should be a lot of economy to be had there?

Too bad about the smell/taste thing, not sure how to deal with that. Omicron carts went through a lot of effort in that direction, made some big changes per some, not enough per others. It seems subjective, but important to the owner of the nose in question. I'm having enough trouble trying to understand this fun little guy without actually having one to play with.....

Thanks for the updates, guys.

OF

OF,
Reactions: Dogman

Coastal

The paper/cardboard washer (it's not one of the plastic ones) in the cap keeps the lid on tighter than the stirrer. I'll be using an extra (bigger) screen bent into a dome pushed in to cover the load to seal it in. Looks like the problems of leakage and loose cap have been solved for now. Plus I installed another of the provided screens on top of the current one to allow a finer grind in there.

So it seems like a hacked win for this product for me anyways. I do hope they work on getting the cap tighter so nothing leaks out, herb or smell.

Coastal,

Coastal

I have the cap stirrer in.

Tried the stirrer and it didn't make the cap any tighter. It still rotates off too easily with it in there, plus some herb leaked out in my test when I gave it a little shake over a piece of paper. With the screen in there and the extra washer nothing leaked out. At home it's no prob but when traveling things are going to get shaken and vibrated. Without a mod it's going to leak, especially with a finer grind.

Coastal,

Dreamerr

Always in a state of confusion and silliness♀
Tried the stirrer and it didn't make the cap any tighter. It still rotates off too easily with it in there, plus some herb leaked out in my test when I gave it a little shake over a piece of paper. With the screen in there and the extra washer nothing leaked out. At home it's no prob but when traveling things are going to get shaken and vibrated. Without a mod it's going to leak, especially with a finer grind.

I remember way back in the thread that is said the cap was finicky and it needed to be in a certain direction. I thought it was you slim but I guess not. Someone said they put a black mark on the silicon and puffit to put it back the same way every time. If I am remembering this wrong disregard.

Dreamerr,

Coastal

I remember way back in the thread that is said the cap was finicky and it needed to be in a certain direction. I thought it was you slim but I guess not. Someone said they put a black mark on the silicon and puffit to put it back the same way every time. If I am remembering this wrong disregard.

I found that the cap didn't seem to work right at all at first. I had to pull up a bit to get the microswitch to work. I thought I had received a defective one but once I took off the cap, put it back on and lifted up on it a bit, the switch started working. Either way to put it on works although turned to the right it is a bit tighter.

The first time I put in the stirrer the cap switch didn't work at all. Looks like the little bit of extra play in the cap to top of oven is needed for the switch to work when you press on the cap. That is also where the air intake is I guess, around the cap. I found that the stirrer when inserted overlapped a bit and I had to use a sidecutter to snip off about 1/16" so that when reinserted it met the other side of the loop without the overlap. Now it works but I won't be using it anyway.

Also noticed that the load of mint I tested with didn't really need to be stirred. The temp in the oven is pretty uniform and one bowl unstirred came out uniformly brown.

Field test begins tomorrow!

Coastal,

Kuroth1

Get your Freak on....
Where you guys get Mint to run through it? Just like at the store(You will see why I need this BAD below) LOL

Received my unit yesterday.. And I got the wall charger adapter as well (Note to anyone that did not get the adapter. My adapter was not in the box but was by itself in the bag with the box.. At first I almost threw it away with the bag not realizing it was in the bottom of the bag as it’s a pretty small adapter)

Overall design, look and feel and small size I really like..

This thing does smell pretty strong of plastic to me.. I think the smell and taste people are experiencing is from the overall strong plastic smell the unit is made out of.. I could be wrong but that is what I smell. I am REALLY unhappy with the smell of this thing.. It reminds me of the Vapor N02 unit I got back in 2008 and I never could get past that strong plastic smell to use that devise..

Despite all the things I like about this unit, because of the smell alone I would not highly recommend this unit.. The manufacture obviously went for cheap plastic material in making this product.. It’s a shame really because I really like it otherwise.. If they would have used some medical grade material like the T1 is made out of that would have been SO much better.. Why oh why make such a cool little unit and then ruin it by using crappy, cheap BAD smelling plastic.. I am sure the bottom line came into play…

I have not used it yet and I am in a little bit of a dilemma on when I will use it.. I am getting low on material and have not decided yet if I want to take a chance with what little I have left in experimenting with this unit.. I am in rationing mode right now if you know what I mean.. :uhoh:

This was my fault as I knew I was getting low.. I probably should have waited and purchased this unit later after my material gets restocked.

But knowing me I probably cant wait until I get more material so will probably try it out over the weekend.. Plus the other major issue besides smell I am worried about is how many sessions I will get out of one charge and cant find out until I use it..

So right now, my verdict is “Take a wait and see” on this unit.. Dogman and others have said the bad smell and taste go away fairly quickly.... Man I sure hope so..

I REALLY like the small size and look and feel of this unit as it’s just what I have been looking for size wise.. I just hope I get past the other issues..

Oh and I agree.. They need to give us all a new cap that stays on MUCH better.. I guess in the next week or so we will see if this Hong Kong vendor is here to stay(And make their customers happy) or they were just here to take our money.. They sure have not been around here lately which has me worried..

Kuroth1,

Quetzalcoatl

DEADY GUERRERO/DIRT COBAIN/GEORGE KUSH
I guess in the next week or so we will see if this Hong Kong vendor is here to stay(And make their customers happy) or they were just here to take our money.. They sure have not been around here lately which has me worried..
This is my biggest concern right now, they were here talking and answering, and as soon as it shipped and people started to complain they all but went off the map. I do appreciate companies that take the time to talk to the end-user and ask/answer. In fact, that alone was the little push that made me decide on the LB.

Quetzalcoatl,

VaporsVaporizer

On the Stoop
I put a black dot on the silver cap, mine seems finicky and likes that facing the back.

VaporsVaporizer,

VisiblyVaped

I'm getting a bad feeling, from the manufacturers avoidance of the forum now. I love the design, cap seems ok here, loose but not terribly so.......but this taste is bad with a bit of plastic smell too...

Damn. Least the mflb with adapter is fantastic

VisiblyVaped,

yimsta

Hey all, I've been following this thread for a month and wanted to put in my brief review of the puffit since I received it last week.

First thing I did when I took it out of the box was wipe down the herb chamber with a q-tip/in isopropyl. After I packed the chamber tight and had my first session. My first few hits had a slight plastic taste aftertaste, but nothing unbearable. By the time I got to my second and third bowl the taste was pure flower and I was nicely medicated. I believe there is just a small break in period, like most things. Also, my battery has been working well since I plug it in almost after every use. I'm enjoying this!

yimsta,
Reactions: mmenzie

VisiblyVaped

Hey all, I've been following this thread for a month and wanted to put in my brief review of the puffit since I received it last week.

First thing I did when I took it out of the box was wipe down the herb chamber with a q-tip/in isopropyl. After I packed the chamber tight and had my first session. My first few hits had a slight plastic taste aftertaste, but nothing unbearable. By the time I got to my second and third bowl the taste was pure flower and I was nicely medicated. I believe there is just a small break in period, like most things. Also, my battery has been working well since I plug it in almost after every use. I'm enjoying this!

Congratulations. Youre one of the few. There are many not so happy consumers here.

VisiblyVaped,

Coastal

My wife has it growing in her garden.. So you dont have to cure it or dry it? Just pick and smoke????

Leave it out on the table in a plate till it dries out or use a dehydrator.

After another test I am very happy with the Puffit although I had to add a washer to get the cap to fit tighter without disabling the microswitch. It needs 2 heat cycles to get going imo. If you want big clouds this is not for you, it's more vape than the LB, but less than many others. Very subtle and almost odorless once I added the washer. Still tasting mint. :)

Coastal,

Quetzalcoatl

DEADY GUERRERO/DIRT COBAIN/GEORGE KUSH

"10 bowls and still just as bad" is not what I consider "just a small break in period." You're one of the few so far to get a unit that doesn't taste horrible.

it's more vape than the LB, but less than many others.
In which ways? In terms of vapor density? I posted a video of my clouds earlier (in the MFLB thread), finally got the lighting down a little bit and the last puff I didn't inhale to show the full vapor density I was getting off of it. Looked almost like smoke :o not that I want to make this into a LAUNCH BOX VERSUS PUFFIT BATTLE ROYALE or anything.

Quetzalcoatl,

aj0125

I wish I could send mine back and get one of these units that hit clean after 2 bowls. 11 in and it still tastes/smells like shit. This is my last post complaining about the taste. I will only post about it if the flavor goes away. If it wasn't for the bad taste this would be a pretty good walking around vape. It is just really disappointing because flavor(among many other things) is a big reason I love to vape. So I guess what I am saying is: Fuck this, I'm getting a T1.

Kuroth1

Get your Freak on....

I am sorry but when I see a post like this AND its his VERY first post, I do not believe he is legit.. A Troll working for the Vendor or The Vendor..

I will tell the Vendor right now, Because I know they are lurking..

YOU ARE LOOSING SELLS BIG TIME... Go read some of the other threads... All I see is "Boy those members over at the Puffit thread sure are not happy.. Or my Fave.. Boy I am glad I did not pre Order the Puffit...

Good Day vendors and Trolls..

mod note: From the rules: Do not attack products or companies. Also from the rules, no flaming. Finally, if you suspect a troll or shill do not post, use the report button. Further posts in this thread from anyone attacking the manufacturer will result in an infraction.

Kuroth1,

mmenzie

My friends call me "Menz"
I'm getting a bad feeling, from the manufacturers avoidance of the forum now. I love the design, cap seems ok here, loose but not terribly so.......but this taste is bad with a bit of plastic smell too...

Damn. Least the mflb with adapter is fantastic

Your opinion and i do respect it, but the more i learn about my puffit and the more i learn about its quirks, i have begun to like it. Not love it... only like it and that is much more than i could ever say about my MFLB. hence the reason it got sold.

mmenzie,

CarlosSpiceyWeiner

I am sorry but when I see a post like this AND its his VERY first post, I do not believe he is legit.. A Troll working for the Vendor or The Vendor..

I will tell the Vendor right now, Because I know they are lurking..

YOU ARE LOOSING SELLS BIG TIME... Go read some of the other threads... All I see is "Boy those members over at the Puffit thread sure are not happy.. Or my Fave.. Boy I am glad I did not pre Order the Puffit...

Good Day vendors and Trolls..

I didn't want to be the first person to bring this up.

I have to many warnings.

It's almost as bad as my driving record. :brow:

mmenzie

My friends call me "Menz"

totally agree!! i am having a very similar experience with mine. i did not do the pre-wipe like you did, just fully charged it and went into testing. i do agree, the more you use and adapt to its quirks the better it gets. i do not get any visible clouds, just a hardly noticeable puff on exhale and i always think "is this working?" to myself but a few more pulls later i am nice and medicated and i think... "yup, it is"

and no i am not a troll... been here awhile and no i do not work for the vendor as i had issues in the beginning too. just settled sown and decided to learn about it and try different things.

mmenzie,
Reactions: Dogman
Top Bottom