PUFFiT portable

Elvis

bricked
Ive been jamming my puffit for 2 days now. Not bad! Battery lasts me 2 bowls easy, thats about 12 hits from each. Could get another bowl out of it befor its dead. Been getting nice even ABV and the unit has been getting me very medicated even tho there wasnt much in clouds its defently working effiently for me! I do get some clouds on 7-8

Elvis,
Reactions: OF

BoxofRock

as in dumb as
Any tips for the plastic taste, anyone?!?
IMO those with plastic taste issues need a new silicone washer, it surrounds the chamber and seals it from the electronics. It is removable and replaceable by the user.

Also IMO an early batch was produced with bad juju.

I am waiting for parts to become available. I would like a silicone washer from a current production since those ppl seem to have no issues with plastic taste

I have run 10 fills and still.......well the same

BoxofRock,

Kuroth1

Get your Freak on....
Thanks very much, I'm getting a grip on what's going on here....slowly, but getting there. It's sounding like there's plenty of performance for lots of guys here. A few with 'generous habits' might get left short, but that's really not the market for Puffit I figure.

I really haven't looked at PAX, although I probably should sometime. I have to be careful, though, I looked at the DaVinci out of curiosity the other day, ended up reading the entire thread....and ordering one which will be here next week. That can get expensive, if nothing else. I already figure I'll be in for one of these guys someday (red/green BS aside) once a 'non GV' channel is found......

Thanks again for setting me straight, it's making sense again for the moment. It's 'full detail' tests like yours that makes that happen for me.

OF

I know what you mean about that.. I just ordered the PAX and Promised myself this is the LAST vaporizer I will purchase this year.. :horse: I got to stay away from this place.. I am like a kid in a candy store.. In all fairness to me and to make myself feel better I was planning on getting a PAX as soon as it was announced and it was the Puffits cheap price point that got me... :shrug:

Kuroth1,
Reactions: OF

VisiblyVaped

I know what you mean about that.. I just ordered the PAX and Promised myself this is the LAST vaporizer I will purchase this year.. :horse: I got to stay away from this place.. I am like a kid in a candy store.. In all fairness to me and to make myself feel better I was planning on getting a PAX as soon as it was announced and it was the Puffits cheap price point that got me... :shrug:
Dammit. I am broke and yet now want a pax, badly.
I'm an irresponsible spender and debt looms already.

I mean, how bad could another 250 be:(

OF

Dammit. I am broke and yet now want a pax, badly.
I'm an irresponsible spender and debt looms already.

Now hold on here. You're trying to stimulate the economy on borrowed money? Where have we heard that before????

Seems to me you could be doing your patriotic duty here. Right? Be better if it was a US maker, but you can still help 'create of save' at least part of a job with this selfless sacrifice you're contemplating.....

I mean it's not like your giving it to Solindra or anything.

Yep, if only the world had more people like you.....

OF

VisiblyVaped

Now hold on here. You're trying to stimulate the economy on borrowed money? Where have we heard that before????

Seems to me you could be doing your patriotic duty here. Right? Be better if it was a US maker, but you can still help 'create of save' at least part of a job with this selfless sacrifice you're contemplating.....

I mean it's not like your giving it to Solindra or anything.

Yep, if only the world had more people like you.....

OF
You're right. I never thought of it that way. I mean, debt is one thing.....but what is debt when your country beckons?
It becomes obsolete.

Contemplation occuring.

mod note: Back-to-back posts merged, see following explanation

Does double posting become irrelevant after an amount of time has passed?
If not, merge, although this is entirely different-

I've been experimenting with the puffit for the last 4 hours.

Pros - battery life is good, if you do plug it in between uses you're good for the day. If you only need 2-3 FULL bowls while you're out, stealthy, with periodic breaks.....not too shabby.
Design is great regarding stealth. You're not getting any double takes here.
The bowls require dry material, packed tight, almost to the top.
Takes a bit more to fill but it lasts longer. more stir, less repack
Best stirring and packing tool in one - a pen cap
you can have it anywhere.

Cons
Without a full pack and dry herb youre not getting visible vapor. high setting also.
The cap is kind of flimsy, but not terribly so. I wouldn't carry it without the pouch while packed. Also, the indicator does not work. It will say green always.
This plastic taste will do one of 4 things
1. Slowly fade with use, or i get used to it (the former maybe...)
2. Be fixed with replaceable parts.
3. Be a breaking point
4. Kill me

That's my review thus far

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member

That's a fair question. The answer is that it is up to the moderator's discretion, but you are safer to edit your previous post and insert a line such as "Edited to add:". If the post is only a few hours old, my take is that you should edit. That certainly applies in a fast growing thread like this one.

pakalolo,

Kuroth1

Get your Freak on....
You're right. I never thought of it that way. I mean, debt is one thing.....but what is debt when your country beckons?
It becomes obsolete.

Contemplation occuring.

mod note: Back-to-back posts merged, see following explanation

I've been experimenting with the puffit for the last 4 hours.

Pros - battery life is good, if you do plug it in between uses you're good for the day. If you only need 2-3 FULL bowls while you're out, stealthy, with periodic breaks.....not too shabby.
Design is great regarding stealth. You're not getting any double takes here.
The bowls require dry material, packed tight, almost to the top.
Takes a bit more to fill but it lasts longer. more stir, less repack
Best stirring and packing tool in one - a pen cap
you can have it anywhere.

Cons
Without a full pack and dry herb youre not getting visible vapor. high setting also.
The cap is kind of flimsy, but not terribly so. I wouldn't carry it without the pouch while packed. Also, the indicator does not work. It will say green always.
This plastic taste will do one of 4 things
1. Slowly fade with use, or i get used to it (the former maybe...)
2. Be fixed with replaceable parts.
3. Be a breaking point
4. Kill me

That's my review thus far

LOL #4 is the one thing I thought about... I am sorry but I just dont trust much coming out of China.. I hope all us Puffit users dont all have a High rate of cancer 4 years from now...:disgust:

Kuroth1,
Reactions: Kief

VisiblyVaped

LOL #4 is the one thing I thought about... I am sorry but I just dont trust much coming out of China.. I hope all us Puffit users dont all have a High rate of cancer 4 years from now...:disgust:
I'd be lying if I said that thought doesn't cross my mind everytime I use it......

Time for manufacturers chime

VisiblyVaped,

Kuroth1

Get your Freak on....
I'd be lying if I said that thought doesn't cross my mind everytime I use it......

Time for manufacturers chime

Agree and I know Andrew I believe his name was had family issues but still really bummed The manufacturer is not on here more..

I have been burning some ABV through my Puffit to try and reduce the taste.. It is faint to me but still there.. Sure hope it completely goes away over time..

But all in all still liking it.. I give it an 8 out of 10 (Would have been a 9 if not for the smell and taste)

Kuroth1,

Dreamerr

Always in a state of confusion and silliness♀
Didn't a woman come on and say she was going to answer questions from now on as soon as she got registered. I guess that never happened.

Dreamerr,

Puffit Vaporizer

Manufacturer
Hi Guys.
I'm sorry if we've made you feel abandoned!
Not our intention I assure you.

As my friend Robin mentioned a couple of days ago, we had a family tragedy that necessitated flight back to Canada. For a small company this can be somewhat disruptive.

Re: The Taste.
We have addressed the issue in production already. As I mentioned on the 23rd we have changed silicone vendors and have improved the chamber burn in process as it's a combination of the two that is causing the problem.
However the new and improved units will take some time to work their way into circulation.

Re: Battery life.
When asked we usually state that you should get 25-30 cycles in mixed use. This Means Up to temp from cold then a few more cycles while warm. But the more often you "start from Cold" the fewer over all cycles you'll get.
But it was never our intention to make a Hard core sit down with 10 friends vaporizer. It is meant to be a discreet personal item used occasionally.
But the battery life is also one of the reasons we chose USB for recharging. Making it easy to top up the charge anywhere you can get a USB plug, car charger, wall charger etc.

For the tinkering types out there DO NOT attempt to change the battery capacity. The battery is very closely matched to the performance of the heating unit. Switching battery types or chemistry can damage the over all unit.

Re: Cap tightness
We originally had it much tighter but found that it was hard for users to remove and restricted airflow too much. If you snug the cap up and place the unit in the included carry pouch you should have no problems with it coming off.

I'm sure I've missed things. But People here will of course remind me ;)

Gotta get back at it... off to the Factory again today to check on things.

Thanks
Andrew.

Puffit Vaporizer,
Reactions: aj0125

Dreamerr

Always in a state of confusion and silliness♀
Thanks for answering some of the questions. I guess you have a lot of reading to do. We want a blue one with all the fixes and a good discount. In case you miss it some had issues with the silicon cap at the bottom breaking since it was so tight.

Dreamerr,

aj0125

Re: The Taste.
We have addressed the issue in production already. As I mentioned on the 23rd we have changed silicone vendors and have improved the chamber burn in process as it's a combination of the two that is causing the problem.
However the new and improved units will take some time to work their way into circulation.

So once the new ones are up and running will those who already have ours from preordering be able to switch our units for usable ones? I cannot recommend this device based on how mine tastes, other than that it is a very solid little vape.

Coastal

My final word on the Puffit:

Hghly recommended as a personal discreet vape. It will be the one I use from now on. The stealth appearance is perfect.

Initial plastic taste/smell is easily countered by vaping mint leaves for several oven loads. The loose cap situation is fixed with a circular paper/cardboard washer inserted into the cap. Mine came out of a baby aspirin bottle. (Don't use one if it has a plastic or glossy coating of any kind of course.) I use a domed screen pushed a bit into the oven to keep the contents securely in there. The battery life is satisfactory.

Normal use for me is an almost full oven lightly packed with the screen upside down on top, ~4 puffs in one session, 3 or 4 sessions during the day. Recharge at night. I stir once per day but don't really think it is necessary.

After the minor tweaks above the Puffit is perfect for me. Watch out though, by the time you see a cloud on exhale, you have overmedicated imo. The taste is very slight and you might think you are getting no vapor for the first 3 hits, but you are, trust me. First time I used it I made the mistake of puffing till I got clouds and wound up way overmedicated.

Thanks for all the feedback and help here!

VisiblyVaped

So once the new ones are up and running will those who already have ours from preordering be able to switch our units for usable ones? I cannot recommend this device based on how mine tastes, other than that it is a very solid little vape.
That's what I need to know. 4 friends tried it, hated the taste but loved the design. 2 were still debating even after their initial taste but after prolonged use mine doesnt get better it tastes worse.
The silicone in there now has to be having issues at high temps, no other explanation i can think of.
I told them wait, its a new company who might, after the first run, fix bugs and make a great portable.
I can hardly enjoy using mine. I'll probably sell if I can't rid the taste as some dont seem to care.

The issue that hasnt been addressed is that battery indicator is useless currently.
Itll tell you green two hits before it dies.......never have I seen it indicate less than 80% even almost dead.
Misleading for the few who, when out, count on it to guide their energy conservation.

VisiblyVaped,
Reactions: BoxofRock

mmenzie

My friends call me "Menz"
My final word on the Puffit:

Hghly recommended as a personal discreet vape. It will be the one I use from now on. The stealth appearance is perfect.

Initial plastic taste/smell is easily countered by vaping mint leaves for several oven loads. The loose cap situation is fixed with a circular paper/cardboard washer inserted into the cap. Mine came out of a baby aspirin bottle. (Don't use one if it has a plastic or glossy coating of any kind of course.) I use a domed screen pushed a bit into the oven to keep the contents securely in there. The battery life is satisfactory.

Normal use for me is an almost full oven lightly packed with the screen upside down on top, ~4 puffs in one session, 3 or 4 sessions during the day. Recharge at night. I stir once per day but don't really think it is necessary.

After the minor tweaks above the Puffit is perfect for me. Watch out though, by the time you see a cloud on exhale, you have overmedicated imo. The taste is very slight and you might think you are getting no vapor for the first 3 hits, but you are, trust me. First time I used it I made the mistake of puffing till I got clouds and wound up way overmedicated.

Thanks for all the feedback and help here!

I agree with you almost 100%. i have not done any of the mods you have done but i can confirm about it's use. I use it only for stealth situations and will agree that you have to watch out!!

for me:

1) initial what you guys call "plastic" taste is minor but still somewhat present. to me it tastes more like silicone than plastic but that may be just me

2) when using it i hardly ever taste anything more than the heat on my teeth and tongue and when i exhale i MAY see a quick almost un-noticeable light wispy cloud but usually not. after maybe 4 or 5 pulls i may see more but you have to be in the right light to do so. i will just take between 6 to 10 pulls and just stop, sit back and wait. before i know it i am very medicated. Coastal is right you can over-medicate if not careful

3) as for the battery.... because i use it as stealth only. mine sits on the usb charger all the time. at home it's hooked up to my PC. in my car it's plugged into the lighter (which in my car is on even when the car is off) so mine is always charging until it is needed. this method works for me and has not been a problem for me. i will agree that the indicator seems flaky and off but i have no need for it

overall.... i LIKE my PuffIT... i do not LOVE it but for the purpose i bought it for... it works pretty damn good. i do like it better than the MFLB that i sold.

mmenzie,

musicisevil

I'm no vaporization expert, and will probably be tagged as a gotvape troll again due to low post count and dissenting opinion, but it seems like the "no visible vapor" camp could benefit from dryer blends?

"Plastic taste" has already been determined to be subjective previously in this thread, so I don't see any reason to get bent out of shape when the manufacturer doesn't respond to every individual query in regards to odor or flavor. Also, even as a mere lurker, it perturbs me that users here would start talking smack about the manufacturer for "disappearing". Discrete vape owes you nothing but a functioning unit, and if you feel yours is faulty, I hardly think giving him grief about not posting in this 50+ page thread is going to help you get a replacement. Cordial correspondence with the manfacturer of a product you purchased is a welcome luxury not something you are inherently entitled to.

Smokes up to Andrew for consistently coming back to the thread. Wish more manufacturers would be as responsive as you. Still waiting on that blue one!

Okay let's try this again...

Got my PUFFiT yesterday. I immediately fired it up without charging and my impressions are as follows. For perspective I also own an MFLB and an OG Iolite - though I've not used the Iolite in over a year. The MFLB is my daily driver. I've also owned several home vapes, and I'm a frequent visitor to some of the vapor lounges in Toronto, where I live.

I usually grind my herb very fine with a credit card grate grinder. I couldn't find it last night, so I just hand ground. My herb is fairly moist right now, and I just tamped it down with my pinkie finger. The following observations follow this method for all three bowls.

PUFFiT comes to temp very quickly. i set it to six/seven then turned it up to eight for the last two hits of each bowl. I don't take the first draw after it warms up, instead I let it cycle one additional time before inhaling, which reminded me of using the Iolite. Although vapor production was low, I was able to get visible vapor on almost every draw. Not billowy/cloudy vapor. Not as visible as the best on an MFLB, but definitely visible. YMMV depending on lighting conditions.

The roast seemed fairly consistent. All three bowls I vaped seemed to have the same uniform chocolate brown color. I generally like to vape my ABV a little lighter, for cooking or emergency smoking so I'll have to mess around with temperature.

As Coastal and mmenzie mentioned, it's very easy to over medicate. After two bowls (both combined were less than an average trench in MFLB), I felt severely medicated. More so than I've ever felt from the MFLB.

I find the plastic taste to be minimal. Yes, it is present, but after three bowls I do feel like it's dissapated slightly. Once I'm done this review I'll fire up another and see how it tastes. It could be because I'm medicating with Kush right now, which tends to be strongly flavoured anyways. I may try to vape some mint tea at temperature setting eight and see if that helps. As always YMMV. The taste didn't really bother me and it's definitely not the worst tasting vape - I'm looking at you Iolite.

The battery got me through nearly three full bowls UNCHARGED. I'll do some proper field testing today to see how it handles out in the community after a full charge. If PUFFiT can run through two full sessions, it should meet my needs nicely.

PUFFiT is undoubtedly the most stealthy vape I've ever used. Drawing from an MFLB or an Iolite still registers a few curious/suspicious glances when out in public. I imagine the same would be true for Davinci and Solo. I've jury rigged stealth solutions before, in fast food cups and using surgical tubing so I can hide the devices in my pocket... but PUFFiT's unique form factor makes it inherently more stealthy. I don't imagine average passersby will notice you are vaping. Yes, it's slightly bigger than a ventolin inhaler, but having used such inhalers in the past, I don't believe the general public will notice the difference.

Battery indicator is totally useless, as others have noted. Three clicks still showed green just seconds before the unit died on me.

(SEE EDIT BELOW) My cap seems pretty solid, not sure the issues others are having. I do find it easy to "screw" into the wrong position, which impedes the clicking motion. More experience using the device is likely needed. I do worry about losing the mouthpiece cap. Hopefully we will be able to order replacements soon. I'd stockpile a few as I tend to misplace small pieces like that.

I can't think of anything else right now.

The photo of the ABV looks very light due to the flash on my phone. To the naked eye it looks uniformly brown. The other photo has my MFLB and heavily used Iolite in it. Sorry for any blurring and clarity issues.

And before anyone asks, that's a bathtub in the background, not a toilet.

Questions are welcome, I'll do my best to answer.

AVwv5.jpg

ERTqL.jpg

edit: Almost right after posting this I noticed my silver top cap was missing! Thankfully it just rolled off the table I was charging my PUFFiT on. However I guess I was wrong about how solid the fit on the cap is.

Also, the unit gets VERY hot. It don't think it will burn, but after a few consecutive bowls it does get a little uncomfortable.

Jenny

VapeGirl
Hopefully we will be able to order replacements soon. I'd stockpile a few as I tend to misplace small pieces like that.

Was one of my biggest concerns, the mouth piece cap has fallen off In my car and was almost impossible to find because it's black and small, but luckily I found it, I'm also worried I'll loose that lil stirring tool (both the one that goes in the cap and the lil paper clip, one that I have grown very found of)

Jenny,
Reactions: mmenzie

mmenzie

My friends call me "Menz"
Was one of my biggest concerns, the mouth piece cap has fallen off In my car and was almost impossible to find because it's black and small, but luckily I found it, I'm also worried I'll loose that lil stirring tool (both the one that goes in the cap and the lil paper clip, one that I have grown very found of)

what do you actually use the tools for??? i haven't found any use for them yet

mmenzie,

Jenny

VapeGirl
what do you actually use the tools for??? i haven't found any use for them yet

I rarely use the incap stirrer, but I use the other one to mix up the herb in the chamber because it gets so hot so I don't want to use anything else other than the tool

Jenny,
I have the cap stir tool in, even though it doesn't really do anything. I haven't used the standalone stir too yet. I usually just shake it up and hope for the best inside. I do miss not being able to see my herb a la MFLB.

Did we ever get an answer RE: cleaning the vapor path? Can we use an iso soaked pipe cleaner through the silicone tube?

kingofnull,
Shame. BoxofRock, any new impressions?

Not sure if anyone else uses a credit card style grinder, but I find my yin yan Vsyndicate very effective for PUFFiT and for most other vaporizers. Has a coarser side too for combustion grind. I machined one edge of mine to give me a decent cutting edge/scraping surface.

jm40y.jpg

Top Bottom