Discontinued Omicron Vaporizer for oils

THC SCIENTIFIC

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before
Manufacturer
Guys I'll post a video tomorrow of one of our prototype testers. Your tester might be off. We get 2.3-2.4 ohms on our reading. Bad carts read at 5.4.

THC SCIENTIFIC,

shobi

THC SCIENTIFIC said:
Guys I'll post a video tomorrow of one of our prototype testers. Your tester might be off. We get 2.3-2.4 ohms on our reading. Bad carts read at 5.4.

I edited my post with some pictures showing that I too do get 2.4 on the 2 good cartridges I tested.

The reason I got an inaccurate reading of 2.7 (and again I was just doing a continuity test) was that I just lightly laid the probe on top of the cartridge.

Except for the bad cartridge I have, when I made firm contact with the two probes on the cartridge, the readings on the various cartridges I have are 2.3 & 2.4.

When the wire 'burns out', is there a physical gap, ie a break in the circuit? or does the wire just lose the ability to produce heat, but still allows electrons to flow thus completing the circuit?

If there is a physical break in the wire I don't understand how you could get a resistance reading (let alone a higher one)?

shobi,

OF

THC SCIENTIFIC said:

Ah, so! The heaters are 'larger' (more ohms, less heat) than the (3 ohm/1.5 total) dual coil carts you were discussing on that other other forum (Sticky Guide)? Thanks for the info, so we need to 'see' the difference between 2.4 and 5.4 ohms (that is we need to read with a total error less than an ohm or so). A simple continuity test won't get the job done. Too bad, I was liking the battery and bulb idea but it won't work in a parallel system like we have I guess.

Be fun to see what you come up with.....after the leak proof, flower and nail carts of course. And the new models..... Looks to me like the Holiday Plate at ol' THC Scientific has a bunch on it. Please keep up the good work, and thanks again for the lowdown on this most excellent product.

OF

OF,

OF

shobi said:
When the wire 'burns out', is there a physical gap, ie a break in the circuit? or does the wire just lose the ability to produce heat, but still allows electrons to flow thus completing the circuit?

If there is a physical break in the wire I don't understand how you could get a resistance reading (let alone a higher one)?

Yes, he heaters will 'fail to open' that is they get a physical break ('open circuit') in the wire itself (or the leads to it). No current (electrons) flow past the gap for practical purposes (there's no doubt trivial leakage currents), therefore there is no heat produced there. The key insight is there are two heaters connected in parallel (not series), like when you have two desk lamps plugged into the same outlet. When one fails (or one lamp is turned off) current stops in that leg (or lamp) but not the other. The total current goes to half, therefore the resistance has doubled in ohms. In the carts I've opened (not the Omicron ones) the coils seem in series, but the 'center tap' between them is returned to common. The 'free ends' of each are actually connected to each other. If one fails, the other remains (but unfortunately the cart fails to heat where needed).

HTH

OF

OF,

shobi

OF said:
shobi said:

Yes, he heaters will 'fail to open' that is they get a physical break ('open circuit') in the wire itself (or the leads to it). No current (electrons) flow past the gap for practical purposes (there's no doubt trivial leakage currents), therefore there is no heat produced there. The key insight is there are two heaters connected in parallel (not series), like when you have two desk lamps plugged into the same outlet. When one fails (or one lamp is turned off) current stops in that leg (or lamp) but not the other. The total current goes to half, therefore the resistance has doubled in ohms. In the carts I've opened (not the Omicron ones) the coils seem in series, but the 'center tap' between them is returned to common. The 'free ends' of each are actually connected to each other. If one fails, the other remains (but unfortunately the cart fails to heat where needed).

HTH

OF

So a physical break in BOTH wires would give you an incomplete circuit, thus no continuity and no reading on the meter? If so that would explain what I'm seeing in the bad cartridge I have.

shobi,

OF

shobi said:
So a physical break in BOTH wires would give you an incomplete circuit, thus no continuity and no reading on the meter? If so that would explain what I'm seeing in the bad cartridge I have.

Yup, that's what my money's on. Either two opens or (more likely?) a mechanical failure on the leads. I've seen this (lead failure) twice on lesser carts....once caused no doubt by me trying to see what happens if you tighten up the little screw on the bottom.....

FWIW two failures at the same time is rare indeed. In classical troubleshooting one looks for single point failures that might explain all the observations.

One thing sure, with no path for them there electrons (open circuit, no continuity) nothing's getting hot. In the 5.4 ohm failure THC describes part of the cart (either the vaporizer or the feeder heater to it) is still working (and will get hot) but the system is gonna disappoint.

Happy testing......

OF

OF,

Vitolo

Vaporist
Keak420 said:
Vitolo said:
Ut Oh... 3 carts all filled, and Battery appears to be dead! :uhoh:

Do you have two :(. Hope mine doesn't go I use both at the same time.
I was not prepared, and had only one battery. I am in no way displeased, however. I will be replacing the battery forthwith.

Vitolo,

OF

Vitolo said:
I was not prepared, and had only one battery. I am in no way displeased, however. I will be replacing the battery forthwith.

Serious bummer, Vitolo. That's Murphy fer ya. I got two (as I assume most did?), 'cuz I know from experience I can't be relied on to keep such things charged, having a back up standing by is my plan. A true 'mission critical' tool, lucky you've got other gear to dust off, eighwhat?

OF

OF,

THC SCIENTIFIC

Manufacturer
ok guys some fill tools are shipped today. Hope to get more this week shipped. They are trying to catch up so please understand.

THC SCIENTIFIC,

yelmguy

howdy THC,
Follow up on purchase #109 & ? about fill tool.
Are we gonna have to do anything to get those fill tools?

Anyway had my pair of Omicrons since early Nov. Still have not found anything to complain about. fills & charges last for days. Convenience is amazing, I rarely smoke flowers anymore. Still have half a z from last purchase of meds. I'm thinking about BHO'ing that with the dozen or so gram samples from the farmers market, this past weekend.

Show it off every chance I get!, you'd think i was after Dubs job.

I hope to eventually have (the everyone's riding unicorns daytime sativa & night time knock my ass to lala land indica) with, my own medicine from start to finish!
clones to flowers to BHO Vac purged oil!
Yea as god intended, I didn't create Butane, just another of his small gifts, as he intends!

:):)
Errl., Errl & away!!!

yelmguy,

THC SCIENTIFIC

Manufacturer
Thanks yelmguy, as far as the fill tools, they are being shipped out tomorrow, and should be here by the 12th.

We will have 1 free fill tool for our current Omicron customers, this will be available for only 1 week online.

Just pay for the shipping.

THC SCIENTIFIC,

THC SCIENTIFIC

Manufacturer
Well since most of the competition does not like me, wants me out of business, i say well if im gonna go im gonna go with a bang.

No matter how much you prepare yourself. No matter how much you think you can smoke. You cant handle the

.710 special

Is everyone ready for the .710 special? I doubt anyone can handle the .710 special Look for it in the next coming weeks on www.pc420.com

THC SCIENTIFIC,

Canna Hound

Vapor test pilot/glass freak
THC SCIENTIFIC said:
Thanks yelmguy, as far as the fill tools, they are being shipped out tomorrow, and should be here by the 12th.

We will have 1 free fill tool for our current Omicron customers, this will be available for only 1 week online.

Great to see the fill tool starting to ship... How do those of us who have already purchased our Omnicrons go about receiving this free fill tool and pay shipping?

Also, a few pages back I saw mention of the current cartridges being replaced by a newer design; was this the now delayed leak proof cart? I ask because I need to order a larger amount of cartridges for myself and a couple of patients, but I don't want to have better cartridges available the week after I order a case...

thanks
H

Canna Hound,

THC SCIENTIFIC

Manufacturer
Canna Hound said:
THC SCIENTIFIC said:

Great to see the fill tool starting to ship... How do those of us who have already purchased our Omnicrons go about receiving this free fill tool and pay shipping?

Also, a few pages back I saw mention of the current cartridges being replaced by a newer design; was this the now delayed leak proof cart? I ask because I need to order a larger amount of cartridges for myself and a couple of patients, but I don't want to have better cartridges available the week after I order a case...

thanks
H

We will have the free tool for free for 1 week when we get them you just need to pay for the shipping, as far as the leak proof, we are still working on it, and we cant give a definite answer when it will be available.

THC SCIENTIFIC,

shobi

THC SCIENTIFIC said:
We will have the free tool for free for 1 week when we get them you just need to pay for the shipping, as far as the leak proof, we are still working on it, and we cant give a definite answer when it will be available.

Any estimate on nail cartridge and flower cartridge release dates?

shobi,

THC SCIENTIFIC

Manufacturer
shobi said:
THC SCIENTIFIC said:

Any estimate on nail cartridge and flower cartridge release dates?

not at this point.

THC SCIENTIFIC,

SD_haze

Just received my omicron single, but looks like there might be an initial issue.

So first off, when I screw in the cart, theres no resistance until the last 10% or so where it requires a bit of force to screw on all the way. This isn't normal, is it?

Also, the cart metal sleeve does not screw in without resistance, it actually hits the side of the cart, and once its all the way on, you can clearly see the cart is touching one side of the sleeve (not centered)

This didn't seem like too big of a deal, but then I practice-primed the cart to see if it works like the guide says, and I got a terrible whiff of "robot fart" smell. Now I'm smelling the cart 20 mins later and it still smells really strongly like a bad synthetic smell. It is a bit reminiscent of modeling clay or playdoh actually.

Any of this normal?

PS:
the fill tool was included and it looks like it works awesome :tup:

SD_haze,

Vitolo

Vaporist
Vitolo said:
Ut Oh... 3 carts all filled, and Battery appears to be dead! :uhoh:
AND Bingo....
Fixed.
I contacted THC Scientific about the Battery, and they were lightning fast to respond to the issue.
Frustrated that I could not medicate with my device.. I desperately sat at the outlet plugging in and then re plugging my charger... the USB cable and Battery.

All at once, I saw the battery blink with life.... MY HEART SOARED! :love:

I contacted THC Scientific instantly. I did not want them to waste one second of precious "science guy" time on the wrong aspect of this....
It was not the Battery at all. Nor was it the Transformer to the wall outlet, but rather it was the USB side of the Charger.

BAM.. I am back to medicating with my Omicron.... and ...
DOUBLE BAM... I found out how seriously THC Scientific takes a patients needs.. and how fast they respond.

Vitolo,

ru_frothi

Portable Vaporist
SD_haze said:
Just received my omicron single, but looks like there might be an initial issue.

So first off, when I screw in the cart, theres no resistance until the last 10% or so where it requires a bit of force to screw on all the way. This isn't normal, is it?

Also, the cart metal sleeve does not screw in without resistance, it actually hits the side of the cart, and once its all the way on, you can clearly see the cart is touching one side of the sleeve (not centered)

This didn't seem like too big of a deal, but then I practice-primed the cart to see if it works like the guide says, and I got a terrible whiff of "robot fart" smell. Now I'm smelling the cart 20 mins later and it still smells really strongly like a bad synthetic smell. It is a bit reminiscent of modeling clay or playdoh actually.

Any of this normal?

PS:

OK but have you tested for glow and filled a cart? Its unclear from your post whether you've tried to fill it.

Mine aren't crooked. tried another cart....

ru_frothi,

OF

SD_haze said:

Both those are normal AFAIK, both my units have loose threads that only tighten up at the very end when the shoulder hits the battery. Also several of my carts are off plumb enough to hit the covers, sometimes loosening then retightening it will make it better. Not to worry.

I've no idea what to say about lack of success with vapor, of course except to say it's probably a oil or loading issue. Lots of guys have had some trouble at first but all seem to get sorted out in time. I bet your oil isn't really down to the first heater?

Good luck, it's worth the effort.

(Editing to combine two posts.....hey, I'm new at this...)

Vitolo said:
AND Bingo....
Fixed.

It was not the Battery at all. Nor was it the Transformer to the wall outlet, but rather it was the USB side of the Charger.

So very cool. That explains the ringing of the church bells over in Vitololand! I assume the schools will now be closed and children will be sent home?

And what you say about the good folks at THC, it's clear we've backed the right horse. I also agree it's a crime against our little society to slow up their good work when not absolutely necessary......there's good stuff coming. And good folks waiting, some more patiently than others.

Well played Vitolo. I'd still consider a back up battery....

OF

OF,

OF

(Combined with post above.....)

I guess it can't be deleted all together?

OF

OF,

SD_haze

I hadn't even filled it up, it does glow so it is working, I just didnt want to fill it in case it was malfunctioning.
I guess the smell is just the "heater smell", I will admit I'm pretty sensitive to smells.

I wanted to start out with the puregold squeeze tube, but after 1.5 hrs of searching online, looks like they have completely disappeared out of San Diego County :(

I'm hesitant to try some random oil/wax from a dispensary, since I have only one cart I don't want to ruin it with some underpurged / low quality junk.

Need to find some legit oilheads down here :lol:

SD_haze,

bruno13

insomniac
SD_haze said:

Any of this normal?

PS:

This all seems normal.

bruno13,
Top Bottom