MiniVAP Vaporizer

tonuzzi

Spoon Dogg
Hmmm... Another way to use a glass adapter would be to use a Vortex Gong made for the Solo. That way someone could have a glass 14mm or 18mm adapter, and could use the shorty or larger herb version of the Vortex. Seems like this Vaporizer can replace many, including the EVO. I already heat soak my EVO for long periods past 8 minutes before use. So this seems more versatile and convenient in every way.
When I feel like using water filtration or even dry, I use my vortex stem along with the F-Bomb diffused Micro Bubbler Tube, works great!

abcd5432

I'm all about a unique vape signature! I love S&B for this reason, but hotter units for sleep, pain relief etc. So, it seems to be a different experience than other vapes in general?

Taste is the number one part for me personally.
Portability and the amazingly long battery is another.
Adapter for water pipes
EASE of use. You can pack and unpack bowls in seconds.
Easy to clean.

Low temps it's great at flavor. High temps? I would suggest getting the decarb kit.

MinnBobber

Am I looking at the right vape for me, or are there others out there that can do it better?
Am I under the right impression, that there has been a bios/software update to the newest models to reset the countdown time if a draw is taken? That would make it even easier to just sit and enjoy a movie at home.
miniVAP would be great vape for you. Any reason you keyed in on glass core model? Teflon is the original and glass is more susceptible to break if it drops/tips over.
It has always had 20 minute shutoff, where a big draw resets / starts the 20 minute clock again.
With the AC power puck it is a great desktop unit.

Vapor Trails

miniVAP would be great vape for you. Any reason you keyed in on glass core model? Teflon is the original and glass is more susceptible to break if it drops/tips over.
It has always had 20 minute shutoff, where a big draw resets / starts the 20 minute clock again.
I am interested in the glass core for more thorough extraction for pain etc., and some people have had me under the impression that the Teflon may not put out as much vapor. Of course I'm shooting in the dark, and have no idea of the differences. The Teflon may be better for me, but have no idea. I need the most medicating device per given amount of herb, (but looong sessions) since in the long run herb is much more expensive than a high end vape, and I'd like to find the best session vape that currently exists.

What are the Pros and Cons of Teflon, and the Pros and Cons of Glass as far as extraction, session length, the way they medicate, and any other important factors anyone may could think of?

Vapor Trails,

MinnBobber

What are the Pros and Cons of Teflon, and the Pros and Cons of Glass as far as extraction, session length, the way they medicate, and any other important factors anyone may could think of?

Having used both cores, I'd boil it down to:
- both extract every last mg of goodness
- glass extracts it fastest, for those that want biggest punch and want it right this moment
- Teflon extracts it slightly slower, over a longer timeframe.

It sounds like you want long sessions where IMO the Teflon would be a better fit.

I have very limited supply and microdose, with 0.015 loads. It has 4 temps. I can do a session at temp 2 and another at temp 3 and yet another at temp 4. I do them as separate sessions, like maybe an AM and late PM and next day AM.
With a big basket and a big load, you'd be able to do loooong sessions.

Vapor Trails

Having used both cores, I'd boil it down to:
- both extract every last mg of goodness
- glass extracts it fastest, for those that want biggest punch and want it right this moment
- Teflon extracts it slightly slower, over a longer timeframe.

It sounds like you want long sessions where IMO the Teflon would be a better fit.

I have very limited supply and microdose, with 0.015 loads. It has 4 temps. I can do a session at temp 2 and another at temp 3 and yet another at temp 4. I do them as separate sessions, like maybe an AM and late PM and next day AM.
With a big basket and a big load, you'd be able to do loooong sessions.
Sounds like the Teflon is perfect for me! One last thing (so sorry), have you tried or know how the decarb kit changes the experience with the Teflon version?

How is the draw resistance with the MiniVap?

Last edited:
Vapor Trails,
Reactions: 6079Smith

MinnBobber

Sounds like the Teflon is perfect for me! One last thing (so sorry), have you tried or know how the decarb kit changes the experience with the Teflon version?

How is the draw resistance with the MiniVap?
The decarb kit makes the Teflon act "halfway to glass core" performance. It adds some conduction with the hot metal. I've only used it once so not a lot of experience. Can supposedly get bigger/quicker hits.
With the bigger/quicker hits, it would seem to shorten the sessions/finish extracting quicker.

For my wants/needs, I have no use for it as the Teflon performs so well.

Draw resistance is low, assuming you don't want to take massive massive draws. Where the main body connects to the battery or AC puck, there are two small rectangular air intakes so you can't draw more air than they allow. For any kind of normal draws, it works fine.

Vapor Trails

Y'all talked me into it! It should be here by Wednesday or Thursday! Thank you all for your help.

I'm getting the Teflon core, Decarb kit, and WPA. I thought I'd use the Dry hydratube on high heat settings. I wanted Silver, but maybe the Black will be appreciated when watching movies at night, since I think the Teflon sounds like it is what makes for the longest sessions. Perhaps I'll like the Teflon model enough to add a glass core model in the future as a secondary unit to extract differently when desired. That's of course if the glass core makes enough of a difference vs the Decarb kit to justify a 2nd unit.

I'll let everyone know what I think by the end of the week. May be honeymooning too much with 2 new vapes this week to post, but Ill try.

Vapor Trails,
Reactions: tonuzzi

abcd5432

Y'all talked me into it! It should be here by Wednesday or Thursday! Thank you all for your help.

I'm getting the Teflon core, Decarb kit, and WPA. I thought I'd use the Dry hydratube on high heat settings. I wanted Silver, but maybe the Black will be appreciated when watching movies at night, since I think the Teflon sounds like it is what makes for the longest sessions. Perhaps I'll like the Teflon model enough to add a glass core model in the future as a secondary unit to extract differently when desired. That's of course if the glass core makes enough of a difference vs the Decarb kit to justify a 2nd unit.

I'll let everyone know what I think by the end of the week. May be honeymooning too much with 2 new vapes this week to post, but Ill try.

You'll enjoy it. From a person who recently got the decarb kit and water pipe adapter they make a massive difference. Also the decarb kit helps a bunch with extraction. For me, to get every last drop takes awhile but the decarb kit speeds up the process. I hope to have the glass core model soon so I can compare.
I get even larger hits with the decarb kit though on the highest settings if you really want to vape as fast as possible and have a water pipe to make that feel comfortable.

Vapor Trails

The only issue I have is that the temps are a bit too low and my ABV comes out either green or very light straw color.
Do you think the ABV not browning very well has something to do with the heater or a component in the older models? Is anyone else experiencing light colored AVB, and did anyone see improvement in AVB darkness with the Decarb Kit?

I'm wondering if a 2015 Core Update would improve vapor output for your unit with the updated heater calibration along with the updated heater itself from 2015: http://www.minivap.com/eu/updates/mv-core-update.html

I'm curious... Ok, the Decarb kit is basically a stainless ring, and it actually adds benefit, even tho the heating element is far away. So, I assume the Stainless Steel absorbs heat while drawing, adding Conduction. If simply touching the sides of the herb with a steal ring enhances extraction, what if you were to leave a tiny liquid pad in the bottom of the chamber, load herb directly on it, and put another tiny liquid pad on top of the herb and sandwich it between the pads? Does anyone think it could extract any differently once the steel pads reached temperature? Just random thought. I'm almost curious enough to believe simply leaving a liquid pad at the bottom of the chamber would retain a large amount of heat so the temperature reaches the material faster during a draw after it initially heats the steal, and could (to some level) act as if the heater is close range to the herb itself even if using baskets. Anyway, like I said, random thought.

Last edited:
Vapor Trails,

stickstones

Vapor concierge
You won't need anything in the bottom of the bowl. You will most likely pack into the basket and the unit will stay pristine and you will get more convection effects. If you pack directly into the bowl, foregoing the basket, the herbs will rest directly on a screen that is in contact with the heat exchanger. Then if you add the decarb kit you get conduction from the sides and bottom.

Vapor Trails

@stickstones So, the Decarb kit is still very beneficial when using the baskets, or does the decarb ring work best by putting the material inside the ring for direct contact to produce it's intended effects? Probably just user preference, and no real difference, but just curious. :D

Vapor Trails,

stickstones

Vapor concierge
@stickstones So, the Decarb kit is still very beneficial when using the baskets, or does the decarb ring work best by putting the material inside the ring for direct contact to produce it's intended effects? Probably just user preference, and no real difference, but just curious. :D

Some other members here have more experience with this and can chime in. I've never used it more than once with a direct pack, but it makes sense that the conduction effects will only be noticeable if you directly pack it.

Vapor Trails

Does anyone else get jittery using some Vapes regardless of the strain you use? This happens to me, and like one explanation, I am also pretty much stuck with my Volcano right now, and I get jittery with the most sedative strains.

I am wondering how much CBD the thing releases. I am sort of feeling like it does not release as much CBD as the other devices I have. It seems to do a better job at releasing the THC then the CBD. That would be good for most people... but for me it is a huge negative. When I use this thing I end up getting a jittery sativa like high regardless of the strain I use. I could throw my purest Indica in the device and I still end up getting a strong THC buzz off the device.

I love the looks and functionality though. Out of all the portables it is the nicest most well constructed one I own. It really is woth the price in terms of build quality and performance. I am still trying to figure out the temp thing and why I feel like I end up getting a Sativa THC like high off the device even with my Indica strains. More testing is needed.
I believe I recall at one point that the MiniVap is supposed to release a near equal THC/CBD extraction. Can anyone recall or confirm this, or if this device was designed for more CBD than other devices? This would be great for me if anyone could chime in on this particular matter. I know it's nearly impossible to test, accurately, but I wish there was more discussion on whether a vape gives that "UPPER" effect, or if it gives that good downer effect.

I won't lie, I have to still smoke sometimes because vaping can make me panic like, more so with low temp devices. Not sure why the Volcano at maximum does NOT make me as sleepy as my tiny Arizer Solo at 410. Thats pretty bad on the Volcano'si part.

I would tend to agree that the MiniVAP does a better job at the CBD release than the Volcano. The Volcano gives me a Satvia like high that makes me feel like I have the jitters. Even if I turn the Volcano all the way up to MAX it still leaves me with a jittery high.
So hoping this is true if someone can confirm this with their opinion as well.

The more THC and less CBD it starts to negatively effect my obsessive compulsive behavior. It also causes me to worry more about random things. I mostly stick to Indica or strongly Indica leaning strains. I have the best results with those.
This is one of the problem I have with my Volcano, and ordered (waiting on) the MiniVap to replace the Volcano in hopes of better sleepiness and pain relief from the MiniVap over the Volcano.
EDIT 3 : I'm puffin on it right now, its the best experience I ever had with mj.. The cherry on the cake at every exhale.

I'm thinking about selling my volcano guys, and spending it on accessories, spare battery for the MV, and an expensive bubbler. I couldn't imagine myself thinking about that months ago. The MV is so great.. It outmatches it, I wouldn't throw anymore herbs in something that doesn't gives me the full medication I need like the MV.

S.M, I really experienced the jittery effect you were talking about, being without the unit and having only the volcano to medicate, it doesn't matches with my internal hyperactivity, who needs to be slowed down. I was without unit for almost two weeks, and despite using the volcano on the max temperature setting I never achieved that inner piece I was seeking for.
More on jitteryness

I know these are very old posts to be bringing up, but CBD release is an important subject for me, and if you were to ask a Cancer patient if they preffered to smoke or vape to resolve nausea and extreme pain, they will probably choose smoke, as for some reason some reactions aren't the same when vaping. With that said, I try my best not to smoke, and for years with the Volcano I tried to completely convert, but would still have to smoke for nausea and sleep. Again, I get sleepier off of my Solo at 410 than my Volcano at 446. If anyone could describe how the MV vape signature compares to other model vaporizers (any model you're able to compare) in CBD like effects, this is very important to me and I would greatly appreciate a description of the sleepy effects vs upper effects of the MV, or if it is any different feeling CBD wise to anyone.

Vapor Trails,

ataxian

PALE BLUE DOT
I tried to find where to buy one?
Do you have a link?

All I get is mods?

ataxian,

lwien

I believe I recall at one point that the MiniVap is supposed to release a near equal THC/CBD extraction. Can anyone recall or confirm this, or if this device was designed for more CBD than other devices?

I have an MV and it along with my LSV are my favorite vapes of all time but I don't understand how one vape could release more CBD than another outside of the temperature differences. I do notice, however, that the vape signature is different with the MV. If someone has any info on HOW one vaporizer can release a different THC/CBD ratio than another, I'd be really curious how that's accomplished.

Vapor Trails

I have an MV and it along with my LSV are my favorite vapes of all time but I don't understand how one vape could release more CBD than another outside of the temperature differences. I do notice, however, that the vape signature is different with the MV. If someone has any info on HOW one vaporizer can release a different THC/CBD ratio than another, I'd be really curious how that's accomplished.
I honestly don't either, and I don't completely understand this test done this year, but look at the differences in THC to CBD percentage differences they observed. It's very interesting.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4718604/

"Only in case of CBD a slightly lower decarboxylation efficiency was found when vaporized with Volcano Medic®"

"Recoveries of THC and CBD in the vapor of 4 electrically-driven vaporizers were":

THC - CBD

58.4 and 51.4% Volcano Medic®
66.8 and 56.1% Plenty Vaporizer®
82.7 and 70.0% Arizer Solo®
54.6 and 56.7% DaVinci Vaporizer®

These are all results from 410 degrees, but the Plenty ran at it's 395.

Volcano seems balanced, DaVinci leaning more to CBD, and others seem to focus more on THC.
Like I say, I don't fully understand or know the accuracy of the test, but the possibility of possibly one day choosing what ingredient we want most of seems fascinating to me if say we could have 1 vape with 30% more THC vs CBD, and one vape heavier in CBD release. Not sure that its really possible, but would be nice.

Vapor Trails,
Reactions: lwien

MinnBobber

"Recoveries of THC and CBD in the vapor of 4 electrically-driven vaporizers were":

THC - CBD

These are all results from 410 degrees, but the Plenty ran at it's 395.

Many point to this test as "proof" that the Arizer is better or whatever.
Frankly, I view it as almost the opposite, that the Volcano has the best temp control, for example and the Arizer Solo may have the worst effective temp control (that the Arizer at 410 extracts more because the convection plus conduction heats it well over 410). The Volcano is more precise and does not "overshoot" 410 so with mechanical draws/ same volume it will extract less. You just take more draws to extract.

That's why many vapes max at 410 F, cuz they'd char and combust IF they went to 440 like the miniVAP and Volcano can with no charring.

If one wants more CBD, just have your buddy vape the buds at low temps and then give it to you for high temp extraction as CBD has higher boiling point ;)

So, I find this study to possibly be very misleading. I don't think it gives meaningful data or conclusions, just my opinion

c76man

In search of the best terps and smoothest vapor
Thinking out loud, it could be possible that the differences in the vape materials and full vapor path temperatures could result in condensation of the THC/CBD on the various surfaces. I'm not sure that would be enough to make a difference, but it seems it could since vapes vary in reclaim/resin.

Also, temperature matters at the site where the vaporization is taking place. As we have seen, the vape temperature setting does not necessarily match the temperature of the bowl. With the variations in the heat transfer and fluid flow (air and vapor), there are temperature variations within the various parts of the bowl. Without some sophisticated temperature measurements and modeling, it would be hard to know how significant the variations in temperature are for a vape.

This post is off topic, though, so I'll stop there.

Vapor Trails

If one wants more CBD, just have your buddy vape the buds at low temps and then give it to you for high temp extraction as CBD has higher boiling point ;)
Haha! That is an awesome idea! If only I knew anyone who vaped :/

Thinking out loud, it could be possible that the differences in the vape materials and full vapor path temperatures could result in condensation of the THC/CBD on the various surfaces. I'm not sure that would be enough to make a difference, but it seems it could since vapes vary in reclaim/resin.

Also, temperature matters at the site where the vaporization is taking place. As we have seen, the vape temperature setting does not necessarily match the temperature of the bowl. With the variations in the heat transfer and fluid flow (air and vapor), there are temperature variations within the various parts of the bowl. Without some sophisticated temperature measurements and modeling, it would be hard to know how significant the variations in temperature are for a vape.

This post is off topic, though, so I'll stop there.

Reading further down the test they have condensation percentages of the 2 ingredients extracted from the vaporizer components as well. My soul (sole?) question is if the MiniVap is a good CBD extractor/sleeper, but it was a post of mine up. My focus is on the MiniVap, but was just responding to Iwien's response to my asking about whether the MiniVap leans heavier toward CBD or THC extraction.
I understand there are materials involved that affect the ratios absorbed by the user, or condensed more or less in/on the materials of a given unit, and since different vaporizers use different materials...we can possibly see real world differences of what actual ratio reaches our bloodstream because of these different components. With tnis possibility I simply wondered about the MV because Im antsy to try it and it can't get here fast enough :)

I apologize if it seems off topic too much, but the heart of my original question is genuinely concerning the MV, and the original post had quotes from 2012 explaining the jitteryness from the Volcano from one user, but a more relaxed state of fhe MV. I am simply wondering if the profile of the MV seems more relaxed or more upper to any owners just to get a feel/idea of what to expect (It will be here, Wednesday), if anyone can tell an obvious difference of the MiniVap effects. Thank you for your help.

Last edited:

lwien

I honestly don't either, and I don't completely understand this test done this year, but look at the differences in THC to CBD percentage differences they observed. It's very interesting.

THC - CBD

These are all results from 410 degrees.

Sure wish that they tested out the MV as well. There are many here, as well as myself, who just love the unique vape signature that the MV has. To me, and this is the best way that I can describe it, is.......it's very balanced while at the same time, very potent.

I can make an analogy on the differences between the LSV and the MV, based on cars that I have driven in the past, not necessarily owned. The LSV hits like a Viper or a 427 Cobra while the MV hits like a BMW M5 and that's why they compliment each other so well. Sooooo different yet I love them both. I really wouldn't want to have just either one.

Vapor Trails

Sure wish that they tested out the MV as well. There are many here, as well as myself, who just love the unique vape signature that the MV has. To me, and this is the best way that I can describe it, is.......it's very balanced while at the same time, very potent.

I can make an analogy on the differences between the LSV and the MV, based on cars that I have driven in the past, not necessarily owned. The LSV hits like a Viper or a 427 Cobra while the MV hits like a BMW M5 and that's why they compliment each other so well. Sooooo different yet I love them both. I really wouldn't want to have just either one.
Me, too. I would have a field day reading test results from MV core differences, alone. I'm a research freak to the last drop.

I am totally a BMW ///M fan and past owner! So, perfect analogy! Sounds like the MV is the ultimate fine wine, where as the LSV is sort of a shot of Whiskey. Thanks, Iwien!

Back to the MV! :rockon:
To you guys using a J-Hook, what is the length from the joint to the mouthpiece? I got a dry VXhale tube which has 6" to cool the vapor, but I added a 2" extension to add more distance to cool, hoping it will cool better than just the tube by itself. Just getting prepared.

Last edited:
Vapor Trails,

lwien

Me, too. I would have a field day reading test results from MV core differences, alone. I'm a research freak to the last drop.

I am totally a BMW ///M fan and past owner! So, perfect analogy! Sounds like the MV is the ultimate fine wine, where as the LSV is sort of a shot of Whiskey. Thanks, Iwien!

Back to the MV! :rockon:
To you guys using a J-Hook, what is the length from the joint to the mouthpiece? I got a dry VXhale tube which has 6" to cool the vapor, but I added a 2" extension to add more distance to cool, hoping it will cool better than just the tube by itself. Just getting prepared.

Glad that analogy worked for ya. Your liquor analogy works as well although I may have substituted a fine wine for a very high end cognac. I was an M5 owner. The Cobra and Viper were cars that I drove but never owned.

While I love my MV, getting smacked in the head by a cannabis 2x4 every once in awhile is a nice change of pace. :brow: I can't emphasize enough how switching up vaporizers helps to keep my tolerance in check, much like switching up strains.

In regards to the J-Hook that I got from @stickstones , the length is 10.25 inches (including the bend). I use it all the time. Cools the vapor down really nice while still providing full flavor.

Last edited:
Top Bottom