Votes: 10 27.0%
  • I would prefer the style of Option 2

Votes: 27 73.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

stickstones

Vapor concierge
I wouldn't sweat that little voltage fluctuation. I'll bet we're getting that all the time with stuff in our house. From a usage stand point we would never notice the difference in the vapor.

The dial is another story. The biggest problems I have with the Sub are that dial. There is a very little window within which to operate and it is easy to accidentally nudge into the combustion zone. I wouldn't want that for this project.

CentiZen

Evil Genius in Training
Accessory Maker
I've actually got two capacitors on the board already, spread across the input and output channels. These do a good job of smoothing out the little fluctuations in power, but it's difficult to compensate for big voltage fluctuations.

As for the dial, it's not quite as bad as the sublimators is, the sub uses a logarithmic scale on it's potentiometer, making it ridiculously fine grain especially near the top of the scale. This one is just a little tight, and won't be easy to knock out of place.

placetime

Hey Centizen--any news on your mini-vvps? I know a couple of people who are ready for you to sell them. :tup:

Also, does your prototype feel warm/hot when in use for a while? :science:

Last edited:
placetime,

CentiZen

Evil Genius in Training
Accessory Maker
Hey there placetime,

At the moment I am investigating dial solutions. The thumb turn dial that I am using right now is too sensitive for my liking, even though it's not as bad as some I've seen. Because of the way it is used in my circuit (as a voltage divider), it's not a simple a fix as finding a less sensitive dial, and I need to find an electronic solution by padding resistors to it. That process is going to take a while, to find the ideal set of resistors and dial that brings about the kind of nice 7 - 16 volt range we want instead of currently being 0 - 48.

As for temperature, one part of the board can get a little warm. I measured it out though, and it does not get any hotter than 45 - 50 degrees, so there is no danger of a burn or any damage to nearby objects. I've been toying with the idea of adding a small fan, however that would make the end product slightly bigger and bulkier.

Anyways, at the moment I'm just waiting on more supplies to get in. Once I get some more boards in I can set up specific test scenarios and not have to worry about breaking my prototype.

max

Out to lunch
You may want to note that you're designing for the 12V log vapes. The e-nano (110V) already has an in-line temp control. It's located about 18" from the unit and in my setup sits about 2" off the floor, so seems to be like your option #2. It can be aggravating at times, but I'd prefer it over option #1. It may be worth it to you to offer both options, depending on demand.

max,
Reactions: grokit

ogcook

You may want to note that you're designing for the 12V log vapes. The e-nano (110V) already has an in-line temp control. It's located about 18" from the unit and in my setup sits about 2" off the floor, so seems to be like your option #2. It can be aggravating at times, but I'd prefer it over option #1. It may be worth it to you to offer both options, depending on demand.
This is true, but one benefit with the other log vapes that would mostly benefit from this, with option 2 you can add a cord extension and push the adjuster further back or out of sight if you wish. With the Nano you're kind of stuck with that cord no matter what.

ogcook,

max

Out to lunch
This is true, but one benefit with the other log vapes that would mostly benefit from this, with option 2 you can add a cord extension and push the adjuster further back or out of sight if you wish. With the Nano you're kind of stuck with that cord no matter what.
True, and a definite advantage, but my point was that I prefer the 2nd option, despite my inability to change the controller location on the e-nano. I guess I didn't make it clear. There are definitely going to be some strong opposite opinions on this though, so for the buyer, a 1 or 2 option would be great.

max,
Reactions: ogcook

NinjaMindTriks

Ninja Vapor Enthusiast
Just saw this and would dust off the WDZ to try this out! I am very interested in this. I cast my vote for option 2. Very cool work.

NinjaMindTriks,

stickstones

Vapor concierge
Hey there placetime,

At the moment I am investigating dial solutions. The thumb turn dial that I am using right now is too sensitive for my liking, even though it's not as bad as some I've seen. Because of the way it is used in my circuit (as a voltage divider), it's not a simple a fix as finding a less sensitive dial, and I need to find an electronic solution by padding resistors to it. That process is going to take a while, to find the ideal set of resistors and dial that brings about the kind of nice 7 - 16 volt range we want instead of currently being 0 - 48.

As for temperature, one part of the board can get a little warm. I measured it out though, and it does not get any hotter than 45 - 50 degrees, so there is no danger of a burn or any damage to nearby objects. I've been toying with the idea of adding a small fan, however that would make the end product slightly bigger and bulkier.

Anyways, at the moment I'm just waiting on more supplies to get in. Once I get some more boards in I can set up specific test scenarios and not have to worry about breaking my prototype.

So you need what, like another day or two? :lol:

CentiZen

Evil Genius in Training
Accessory Maker
I've been real hard at work over the past few days. I've got all 5 beta units assembled and they are working well. I've figured out both dial issues I was working on. There is some free space inside of the power brick I am using, so I've mounted the dial within it. As well, the dial now is much less sensitive, with an upper limit of around 14.5 volts. The voltage fluctuations I thought was based off of the wall power is actually the dial, so they have also gone down. There are still small fluctuations, but they are only apparent when the VVPS is turned on cold, and everything smooths out once things warm up.

Here's a slightly crappy phone picture of them all laid out, ready for packing. I'm nearly completely happy with the units now, having only made one compromise with these beta units - that is leaving the circuit exposed. I still haven't found a solution I like in terms of wraps or containers. I will be investigating more options, but for the sake of expedience I think I should get the working units out to beta testers soon.

There really are no technical downsides to them the way they are now. The circuit board is exposed, but it's laminated to protect it from atmospheric moisture and other problems.

23r68o1.jpg

And here is a more in depth look at the beta unit:

a43dpi.jpg

kejex0.jpg

I'd also like to thank Sticksstones, Alan, AdmiralAlchapa, Ed and MVapes for volunteering to be guinea pigs on this project. Dreamerr deserves an honorable mention as she was going to be doing Arizer testing, but unfortunately I have decided to drop Arizer Solo support on these devices for now for several reasons. The solo is very sensitive to changes in voltage and until I find a knob that can lock into place it's too dangerous for the solo to be connected to these.

I plan on having a beta testing period of at least two weeks, so after that is over with I will have a better idea of when these will be available for general purchase. Thanks again everyone, I'm really happy this project has moved forward as it has.

Ed's TnT

Woodsman
Manufacturer
Thanks for letting me be a part of this, I am anxious to try it out!

Ed's TnT,
I've been real hard at work over the past few days. I've got all 5 beta units assembled and they are working well. I've figured out both dial issues I was working on. There is some free space inside of the power brick I am using, so I've mounted the dial within it. As well, the dial now is much less sensitive, with an upper limit of around 14.5 volts. The voltage fluctuations I thought was based off of the wall power is actually the dial, so they have also gone down. There are still small fluctuations, but they are only apparent when the VVPS is turned on cold, and everything smooths out once things warm up.

Here's a slightly crappy phone picture of them all laid out, ready for packing. I'm nearly completely happy with the units now, having only made one compromise with these beta units - that is leaving the circuit exposed. I still haven't found a solution I like in terms of wraps or containers. I will be investigating more options, but for the sake of expedience I think I should get the working units out to beta testers soon.

There really are no technical downsides to them the way they are now. The circuit board is exposed, but it's laminated to protect it from atmospheric moisture and other problems.

I'd also like to thank Sticksstones, Alan, AdmiralAlchapa, Ed and MVapes for volunteering to be guinea pigs on this project. Dreamerr deserves an honorable mention as she was going to be doing Arizer testing, but unfortunately I have decided to drop Arizer Solo support on these devices for now for several reasons. The solo is very sensitive to changes in voltage and until I find a knob that can lock into place it's too dangerous for the solo to be connected to these.

I plan on having a beta testing period of at least two weeks, so after that is over with I will have a better idea of when these will be available for general purchase. Thanks again everyone, I'm really happy this project has moved forward as it has.

Do you know which vapes are going to be tested during beta?

slowandsteady,

CentiZen

Evil Genius in Training
Accessory Maker
Do you know which vapes are going to be tested during beta?

Yep, during beta testing we will be able to test the following:
  • Purple Days
  • Ceramic Rockzap
  • Underdog and Twig
  • Heat Island
  • Hot Pod
  • Wychwood

CentiZen,

NinjaMindTriks

Ninja Vapor Enthusiast
This sounds very interesting. I am assuming it will work with my WDZ. What do you think the price point will be on these?

NinjaMindTriks,

CentiZen

Evil Genius in Training
Accessory Maker
Yes, the WDZ will be compatible with this power supply as well. It's just that nobody in my beta group has one.

Originally my thinking was that they would be around 40 dollars. However, at this point I can see that was a pretty optimistic estimate. If I want to make these reliable its going to need to be a little more expensive than that. I think I will be able to sell for about 60 dollars. That will get a complete kit that comes with every cord needed to work with standard log vapes, so it will be still a better value than tattoo machine supplies.

NinjaMindTriks

Ninja Vapor Enthusiast
Yeah, I grabbed a WDZ because of the wait for the PD. It is very efficient, but I always wanted to be able to get higher temps out of it. This would be perfect.

NinjaMindTriks,

chimpybits

Just posting to say how pleased I am about this mini vvps work CentiZen and beta crew are doing. It's taking shape nicely - and I'll be especially grateful once I have my HI in hand.

CentiZen

Evil Genius in Training
Accessory Maker
Hello everyone, I'd like to update you on the most recent developments in regards to the mVVPS.

Some not so great things have happened in my personal life over the last little while. Last week my position at work was deemed surplus and I was let go from my job. It's one of those things that may be a mixed blessing - I was never really fulfilled at work but I enjoyed my coworkers and the environment a lot. Over the past few days I've had to focus on this and navigate my way back into the job market. I haven't had a chance to send out the beta units because of this.

However, this might actually have been for the best too. Alan has been a great help to my project and he has suggested a new modification to the VVPS that I think will make it an even better product. I think I will be cracking open the beta units and modifying the cord that goes to the vaporizer to make it much more stronger and reliable.

I'm hoping that won't take me too long, and that I can get this project moving forward. Sorry to be such a downer on this update but I think it will just be a bump in the road for me and project. Thanks for all your support everyone.

NinjaMindTriks

Ninja Vapor Enthusiast
Sorry to hear that CentiZen. I have been there. I don't think anyone would hold that against you. You are making awesome products for your fellow vapor enthusiasts. Hope everything turns out well. I am still excited about this product.

NinjaMindTriks,
Reactions: grokit

AdmiralAlpacha

Sorry to hear brother, as you said though it could be a blessing and I'm sure many of us will be sending good vibes your way :peace:

Any don't sweat it about time at all, good things take time. There are a lot of shitty vvps out there. Whenever it happens to get done, I'm sure we will be happily waiting still for what I'm sure will be a top of the line vvps.

Good to hear you have Alan sharing some useful information, I'm sure his knowledge will be very useful.

AdmiralAlpacha,
Reactions: chimpybits

Ed's TnT

Woodsman
Manufacturer
I feel for ya Centizen, when you mentioned it last week I knew it had just happened. Keep your head up and stay positive. Take your time with your project and let us know when you are ready. You have got a great guy in Alan to help out with it. As Double A said above there are alot of worthless vvps out there so we can wait for a top shelf piece!

I wish you the best and know there are brighter days out there!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom