Votes: 10 27.0%
  • I would prefer the style of Option 2

Votes: 27 73.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

lazylathe

Almost there...
Good luck with finding another job CentiZen!!!

Hope it will prove the be more rewarding and fulfilling than your last one.

It can only get better from now!

lazylathe,

CentiZen

Evil Genius in Training
Accessory Maker
I wanted to add an update here since I've been silent for the last little while in regards to this project.

The current crop of beta units have no gone out to the testers. I just am not happy enough with their design to be able to accept money or anything in return for them. They work, and they were a very important stepping stone in the project, but they are not ready yet.

So I've already moved on to a version two. This version is going to be an inline adapter, similar to the last one, but with no exposed parts and a replaceable cord. I've also procured high grade multiturn potentiometers which will make fine tuning voltages much easier and make it harder to knock out of place. Parts are on their way now, and I look forward to showing the first units to everyone.

Thanks for the support and patience!

CentiZen

Evil Genius in Training
Accessory Maker
Hello there everyone,

I'm happy to announce that I've finalized the design of the mini-VVPS! Over the past few weeks I've been experimenting with different setups, and I've finally come up with what I think is the ideal package for this product. I've been using it over the past few weeks with great results.

The current iteration of the mini-VVPS is by far more versatile than the previous design I was working with. With this design, the user is able to easily replace any of the cords or switch out a broken power supply for a new one as they please. There are no exposed electronics; the whole package is quite rugged. As well, it will be compatible with any countries wall power through the use of wall adapter.

The full mini-VVPS package will include a fixed output power supply, the mini-VVPS itself, one vaporizer cord and an extension header which will prevent daily wear and tear from prematurely damaging the cord. The fixed output power supply is plugged into the input jack, and the vaporizer is plugged into the output jack. The user controls the output voltage with the knob, and the exact output voltage is shown on the LCD screen.

Pictures:
vffogp.png

15wm1w1.png

24mt81s.png

The power supply (16v) will provide a range of 3.3 - 14.4 volts of power with a current of 1A, perfect for most log vaporizers. However, the user is able to plug any power adapter using a 2.1mm barrel jack into the mini-VVPS. It can accept any power adapter rated between 15 - 26 volts. The mini-VVPS would also theoretically work with any DC battery pack within that voltage range using the same plug, although this is not an officially supported feature.

I will be offering these units for sale very soon, and will update you all when they are available. I plan on using the
"à la carte" sales model, where the user will be able to customize their order for only the parts they need. As well, you will be able to choose exactly the length of cable you wish. I want to make sure the experience of using the mini-VVPS is as perfect as it possibly could be.

Here is the price breakdown for the mini-VVPS package:

• mini-VVPS Controller: ........................... $45
  • 16v Fixed Voltage Wall Adapter (US): .. $20
  • Custom length vaporizer cord: .............. $10
  • Extension Header: .................................. $5
  • 2.1mm to 1.8mm Adapter: ..................... $12
I think it will only be a matter of a week, two at most before these will start going out to owners. When that happens I will be having this thread archived and opening up a new one with the most pertinent information. Again, thanks for all of your patience and interest in this project! I couldn't have gotten this far without everyone's support.

Last edited:

Ed's TnT

Woodsman
Manufacturer
Hell yeah! Glad to see you are this close bro, congratulations my man! I anxiously await it!

Ed's TnT,

placetime

Awesome CentiZen! I love how you designed it so the controller is separate from the power. :tup:

Does the controller get hot at all while in use? Will you be offering a package discount if someone wants to buy all of the parts? And maybe I missed the info somewhere--what's the 2.1 to 1.8 adapter for?

placetime,

CentiZen

Evil Genius in Training
Accessory Maker
I'm building them all now, just waiting on the power adapters to get in and I will be ready to release them. I will be adding them to my site shortly for preorder. I'm thinking it's going to be about a week. Thanks for the interest!

Michael

MileHighLife

Blower of glass, grower of grass
I've checked these seem to be available on his website but they say "limited time".

MileHighLife,

CentiZen

Evil Genius in Training
Accessory Maker
Hmm, not sure how that page ended up getting spread or found; but that was a hidden page on my website I've recently put up. Currently the miniVVPS's are in limited release, I am giving beta testers and other people that contributed to the project the first chance at a unit. They will be available for general purchase within a day or two, although I've only got a small amount of units available. Once they go up for general sale however, there will be a preorder list, just like with the batteries so you can reserve a spot in line for the new units.

CentiZen

Evil Genius in Training
Accessory Maker
I was thinking I would just make a new post for the miniVVPS when it is available, and we can archive this one, similar to what we did with the batteries when they were completed.

CentiZen,

CentiZen

Evil Genius in Training
Accessory Maker
Hello there everyone, I need to update you all and it's not good news.

I am in the process of recalling the few miniVVPS units that have shipped, as well as cutting off sales of the miniVVPS for the next few days as I make changes to the internal design. These changes are to add an extra layer of safety to the miniVVPS. In it's current form, the miniVVPS is a very safe and reliable piece of equipment; but there is the possibility for a fault to occur when the user shorts the output jack, resulting in damage to the circuit and excess heat.

There is really only two ways this can happen, both of them quite rare. The first is that the cord develops a short (unlikely) or the vaporizer shorts out (even more unlikely); but it still can happen and because of that I cannot allow anyone to use the miniVVPS in it's current form. I will be adding high quality fuses to every unit; which engage whenever the output power goes beyond safe limits. These fuses will automatically reset themselves when the unit is unplugged, so they will not render the supply unusable when they engage.

These fuses are being express shipped from a Canadian supplier, and I expect to be able to upgrade all units with polyfuses within the week.

Again, I am so sorry for all of the delays in getting this project off of the ground. I am so appreciative to the whole FC community and everyone who has supported me in this project. Although it makes me deeply unhappy to delay things once again, there is no doubt in my mind that this is the right thing to do.

Michael

toros23

Hey Michael - I agree with your decision 100% and think the wait will be well worth it. Thank you so much for your contributions!

toros23,
Reactions: ogcook

CentiZen

Evil Genius in Training
Accessory Maker
Thanks!

So those parts came in yesterday, and I've spent almost all my time experimenting with and testing them. I am very happy with the results, when I plugged in the shorted cord that caused my own unit to fail, the fuse tripped within a few seconds and reset itself after a ten minute cooldown. The only tradeoff is that now the miniVVPS has an output limit of about 1.2A (roughly three times the amount of power needed to run a log vape, so no worries there) and will trip almost instantly upon the output spiking past 1.6A.

I'm in the process of modifying all units and will get them sent out as soon as possible. I am always so amazed by how supportive everyone has been through all the hurdles, and I want to sincerely thank everyone who's supported the project so far.

Michael

CentiZen

Evil Genius in Training
Accessory Maker
Sorry for the long silence everyone! Over the past few weeks, I have been working closely with the miniVVPS to bring it to a whole new level of quality and functionality, and torture testing the current design to make sure they are safe. A few people have their units, and are giving me great feedback. I have held off sending out any extra units apart from these as I am sure most people are going to want to get the newer version as opposed to the current version.

In it's current form, the miniVVPS works by stepping down a higher voltage into a lower one, which is set by the dial. This means that you will always need to use a higher voltage input source than the output you want. While this method works, it is much less flexible than I would like, as adapters higher than 12v are somewhat rarer and more expensive than the ones below.

To be able to use lower voltage input sources requires quite a bit of extra engineering, including a redesign of the controller board and the addition of a few extra components to it. I'm really happy that I have finally found a way to make these changes without substantially increasing the cost of the unit, and because of that the new control board is capable of both stepping voltages down and stepping them up.

There are lots of benefits to this. First off, the miniVVPS will now be able to work with a much wider range of input power sources. I'm sure most people have a spare 12v adapter laying around somewhere, and replacements can be bought at Wal-Mart instead of waiting to get one from me. This also makes things much easier on people who want to power their miniVVPS in a car, as you will be able to plug it directly into any 12v adapter instead of the special converter you needed in the past. Finally, this opens up a whole new world of battery potential, allowing you to use almost any voltage of battery between 3.7 - 14v, provided they can output enough power for the conversion process.

The conversion process is still super efficient, making sure 95% of the power used makes it to your vaporizer instead of being lost. As well, I've been able to take advantage of this to integrate short circuit detection into both input and output channels, fixing that little issue with shorted cords on both ends. Finally, I have replaced the calibrated single turn dial with a higher quality multiturn dial. Myself and most of the other testers are finding that the single turn dials are frustratingly tight, making .1v adjustments nearly impossible. As well, to calibrate them upwards cuts off a lot of the range which makes the miniVVPS as flexible as it is. This ten turn dial is the perfect compromise between flexibility and ease of use, and I am personally enjoying using my miniVVPS much more now than I did before.

I am just waiting on my new circuit boards to arrive from the supplier and then I will be ready to start building the newer version. I have switched my PCB provider from China to the US, so I expect this will happen a lot faster than things have moved in the past. All current owners of the miniVVPS can choose between getting a miniVVPS step down unit now; or can wait for a free upgrade to the more functional version when it is ready. I will be reaching out to the current group of owners shortly.

Thanks!

Michael

lazylathe

Almost there...
That is awesome news!!!

I am really excited about it's new features, the most important one is being able to use the voltage below the 12V input.
The log vape i made seems to function really well with around 6 to 8 volts using the new heaters.

Looking forward to seeing the new version!!

placetime

To be able to use lower voltage input sources requires quite a bit of extra engineering, including a redesign of the controller board and the addition of a few extra components to it.
The changes sound great! :tup: Will the size/form stay the same? Does it get hot at all with the changes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom