mister667

A very important vap/Iolite tip..... grind up your herbs very very fine.

I had my almost like grains of sand and I got A LOT more bang for my buck.
Just enough to not fall through the screen is perfect.
Can I ask you which grinder you use? I currently use the one there comes with the Volcano, and had the understanding that it were the best out there?

mister667,

max

Out to lunch
mister667 said:
A very important vap/Iolite tip..... grind up your herbs very very fine.

I had my almost like grains of sand and I got A LOT more bang for my buck.
Just enough to not fall through the screen is perfect.
Can I ask you which grinder you use? I currently use the one there comes with the Volcano, and had the understanding that it were the best out there?
So S & B has the 'best' vape AND the best grinder? :rolleyes:

If you really want to get into grinders, read away- http://www.fuckcombustion.com/viewtopic.php?id=19

max,

vaporlicious

max said:
So S & B has the 'best' vape AND the best grinder? :rolleyes:
Each grinder has its ups and downs, just like vaporizers.

That said, the two piece S&B grinder that comes with the 'Cano actually creates a phenomenally fine grind (almost dust/sand consistency, as mister667 described). This seems to really be a boon to vapor opacity and efficiency, at least for my IOLite and Volcano.

I recently went on a grinder testing binge, and I can say with certainty that the S&B output substance is finer than any other grinder I've used [1], including:

- SpaceCase scout
- Two piece Mix'n'Ball Classic
- Aerospace 4 piece (from Vapeworld)
- Some other no-name 4 piece
- The Cosmic 4pc (medium)

It's not perfect, and it needs to be cleaned more often than my other aluminum grinder, but if you're looking for a really fine grind, the acrylic S&B is not to be dismissed!

Of course, I'd love to know if there are 4pc grinders that match the S&B for grind granularity.. because I would buy one immediately! :D

[1] I didn't precisely time the grinding of these, but I tend to do a ~30 second grind. Much longer than that, and I observe sharply diminishing returns. With the 4pc grinders, I turn them upside down for the majority of the grind and then turn them right side up when I'm ready to let the substance fall through onto the screen. The same herb batch with same basic treatment was used for each test.

(Edited for clarification)

vaporlicious,

getwitit

ok i thiink I'll start a thread to this forum cuz i love de-vape. always have. ever since i was a wee-child i dreamt de-vape now i own it:o
3 exactly
3 vaporizing smoking methods.
about me
so, first post here, hola, haven't looked around much cuz hay! what kinda of interest would one without a vape have in lestening to what others got to say about vapor-world..who cares right? unless you own one..:D Did follow this particular thread for some time listening and just recently went for it to go and retrieve one :cool:
i SmoKeD the Volcano before for the most of my vapes before and a few ok and junky ones
so i bought 3 different ones. one being the Iolite. I'm stoked. i just got back from a vape and go to philosophy class and let me tell you..we talked about existentialism; knars conversations!! loved it oh AND
it was my first time, no difficulties, took out a screen below pin/rod(is that right?) AND it was minutes after i opened up thy package, opened it............HAD GAS IN IT!! followed instructions and on my merry way i went lol, no joke, just barely got to class on time, this thing impressed brilliantly first attemp AND i still have not used either of the two other vapes.:uhoh:
One is, the Vapbong, think of it as a comodity glass cigarette vape and lastly (and leastly) the Eagle Bill's Shake n' Vape pipe..aka:wait; take That out and replace it with crack :brow: lol thing just caught my attention when i bought all 3 of these i guess. Beginner smoker per-say. went from my pipe to my bong to my bigger bong to unhappy lungs to the addition of 3 vapes to my dark family.:ninja:
PEACE :ko:
:2c: fine looking, sound device. i like noise level. i like mouth piece lengths/tools/pieces/cleaner. liked overall design shape. gas exaust warm much but no worries. "first vape" glad to make this claim. i think, with a long life, this product can only get better as it ages :2c: if you are still reading these post going. dang. i want one. Just Get One!

-Two sessions in user's feedback

getwitit,

Outkasted

Bone with the wind!
I must say, I am on my second Iolite and I'm so pissed off it hurts. (You may have seen my posts in the marijuana.com forums) I look around the net, and everyone loves theirs. I would say my Iolite works 1/30 clicks of the time, if I am lucky. Same problem with my last one (both lime green...), everything seems like it should be working, I can see the spark from the igniter, and hear/smell the butane flowing at a consistant rate. The shop I purchased my unit from assures me that I am the only person he has heard about having problems, but at $250 I'm sure his customer base for this piece is fairly small. I guess it's time to send this in, but I feel like I will be sitting here wasting my time as I wait for another defective unit to show up, when I could just click the fucker a hundred times and get it to work. I have serious doubts about the longevity of the product, as the peizo is being hammered just to get use from it. I have tried several butane brands, Zippo seemed to be the worst. I am now using Ronson as it was the only reccomended butane I could locate. I'm not sure why I am even writing this, but after sitting here for a half an hour trying to get my vape on I decided to use my Vapir and sign up for the F-Combustion forums for some good ol' ranting. Maybe I should just stick with the Vapir until boarding season and send this hunk back for a replacement, as I really wanted it for snowboarding (but hearing that it doesn't perform well under colder conditions and at high altitudes, this is seeming pointless as well). Congrats to all who find satisfaction with their Iolites, I am truly envious. To all those Vapir bashers out there, I would say try an Iolite.:mad:

Outkasted,

bayarea408

im new here and purchased my iolite a couple days ago. now i have a couple questions. how would i collect the vapor hash from my tubing, and is it really worth it? and is it okay to put a little bit of hash or kief in the vaporizer, not to much, and in between the greens to avoid sticking to the screens? and instead of replacing new screens can i just soak them in iso for a bit, or will it still be sticky?

bayarea408,

mister667

I'm not 100% sure WHEN the "Herb Chamber Mesh Screen" goes. Should I put it into the "Herb Chamber" BEFORE I load the "Herb Chamber" with herbs or AFTER I have loaded the "Herb Chamber" with herbs? I hope someone can help me, really good manual tho, I think I just have a brain fart over this ;)

Goes BEFORE ;)

mister667,

shotgunwilly

hello everyone,
ok, after reading all 36 pages, i finally decided to get an iolite... it arrived today, i got it for $179.99 (so $196 with shipping,)brand new from a seller on ebay. (six.5) it was the new black iolite, which looks great. i filled it up with some ultra purified butane, (i have some vector on order but couldnt wait so...) and turned it on and it fired right up.... then shut off... i was confused, i refilled it....and again... and so on... it turns out, it was working perfectly, it's just what it does... it will "roar" for a bit, then go quiet and cycle every 15 - 30 seconds... so, once i figured that out i super ground some meds and loaded about a half a bowl... something to be aware of... the stem and bowl come apart from the unit really easy, one fix iolite might want to think about is just putting a clip (shaped like a horse shoe, about 1/4" thick to cover the fin from bottom of bowl to the fin above the exhast (?) (above the orange light area) there is one fin above the "vent" area and one on the bottom of the housing of the herb chamber that looks like it would work perfectly for a clip .... and that just would slide on and off... no real alteration would have to be done to the unit that way. anyway, i fired it up and it worked great, although i see why people were saying to have some water or a bit of tubing... it is a bit harsh on your throat...but, i definately had visible vapor and definitly was medicated.... the only negative i had, out of the whole experience, was the bowl coming apart, spilling my meds, (comes apart way to easy) that, and the stem snapped with the threads in the metal part... real bummer and i was very gentle with it, so now im worried its going to keep happening... luckily it comes with a second stem, but im bummed because its only my first day, and im down to just the one stem and now im ultra paranoid the next one will snap as easy.... i remember mention of the stem issue, did anyone ever figure a way to fix that? And finally, one last thing, actually it a question for iolite, are you planing any online registration for future warranty stuff? although i have my reciept and all, i just question my own ability to hang on to it for 2 years... so in closing, other than my issue with the stem and the easily seperating bowl piece, the unit works great... its perfect for low profile baking :ninja: and it lives up to its hype, it works great....

shotgunwilly,

empidonax

Hey Guys,

I stupidly attempted to vaporize alcohol with my iolite. It kind of worked, but it left a brown residue on the bottom of the chamber. What do you think would clean it well?

Thanks

empidonax,

max

Out to lunch
empidonax said:
Hey Guys,

I stupidly attempted to vaporize alcohol with my iolite. It kind of worked, but it left a brown residue on the bottom of the chamber. What do you think would clean it well?

Thanks
Alcohol. :lol: Seriously. Straight alcohol will leave no residue. ISO/rubbing alcohol-70%, 90%-should do the trick. Any stains that ISO won't clean off, I wouldn't worry about.

max,

DevoTheStrange

Ia! Ia! Vapor Fthagn!
hah... I accidently did this when I was cleaning my iolite with everclear... (vaporized the alcohol that is)
let the mouthpiece sit in some everclear for a bit, didnt get all the alcohol out when I put it back together with a bit of herb.) I had forgotten too check if all the alcohol was out of the mouth piece... it wasnt.. was a few drops trapped in between the screen and herb chamber... (I quit drinking almost three years ago btw) I didnt let the mouth piece sit long enough too let the alcohol evaporate, and wanted a nice hit of flavor from the herb in the chamber... what I got was lungs full of alcohol vapor... wasnt fun too say the least... felt it almost immediately... hated every second of it. I would say those few drops felt like I had done at least two one ounce shots back too back... needless too say (since I gave up the drinking) I wont vaporize anything that has any alcohol in the vapor path... no way not for me... dont know how it will work in my other vapes, but a drop or two that makes it past the initial heating can vaporize if your care... but honestly for me it was a total unpleasant experience (I had too wait for 30-40 minutes for the feeling to wear off). This experience was about two months ago.
Is till use everclear (as opposed too ISO) to clean things because I evaporate the everclear off and harvest the oils for later use, I would much rather consume the byproducts of evaporated everclear than ISO, by the time I get too the Oil byproducts enough of the everclear is gone that I don't feel anything. (But that is my own personal preference, sure ISO is just as safe. Just would rather deal with something I know my body can break down in tiny amounts)

DevoTheStrange,

max

Out to lunch
I wont vaporize anything that has any alcohol in the vapor path
When using ISO for cleaning, the alcohol evaporates-all of it-100%. All you have to do is give it sufficient time for the evaporation process.

max,

CatManDo

Hi everyone :D

After months of saving and waiting, I finally got my iolite yesterday. I think it's pretty nice, got it for $200 plus a free grinder and a free 320ml bottle of Vector fuel.

Having a fascination with mechanical engineering, and after reading all 36 pages of this thread, I thought I'd add my observations after one (1) day of use. :p

The herb chamber (detachable part) is shaped like an octogon, the bowl is cylindrical. The herb chamber is shorter than the bowl, and with the lower screen installed, the rim of the herb chamber rests on the lower screen. Air apparently is drawn from the top of the unit, down around the outside of the walls of the herb chamber passes through the screen and then travels through the inside of the herb chamber and up the mouthpiece.

If you remove the lower screen, you have to be careful not to pack the bowl too tightly or when the pin pushes into the center of the bowl, the displaced herb can get packed under the lower rim of the herb chamber and the bottom of the bowl.

The CO generation appears to be part of the Startup cycle of the catalyst disk. If my logic is correct the subsequent catalytic reactons should be almost CO free. It's like this. Platinum as a catalyst will only work after the element is heated to operating temperature. A catalyst by definition is something that reduces the amount of energy required to initiate a reaction, but does not remove the need for energy alltogether. Here is what happens (IMO) when the unit is first ignited.

Turning the switch to on releases the gas. Clicking the piezo igniter actually ignites the fuel into flame. This is the blue "light" you see at first. It is actually a blue flame, like on those torch lighters. In fact I am willing to guess that the fuel jet is very similar to the nozzle/venturi setup on those torch lighters. OK, so what is happening on the inital start up is that this blue flame is heating the catalyst disk to operating temp. The disk is at operating temp when you see the orange "light" which is actually the catalyst disk glowing red hot. However during the inital startup cycle, the little blue flame is still lit. You just can't see it because the disk is glowing more brightly than the flame. The flame does not go out until the inital startup cycle is complete and the fuel supply to the FLAME is shut off. Subsequent heating with the orange glow is the catalyst acting as it should. So FWIW, if, during the inital startup cycle there is a constant open flame, then obviously there would be a significant amount of CO generated. I wonder if 4:20 tested the CO levels after the first cycle.

The reason I feel so sure of this is because I have a portable propane powered catalytic tent heater. It is safe to use in a closed tent as it only generates CO2 and H2O, but it does require an open flame from a lighter to initally ignite the propane and bring the catalyst to operating temp.

Overall, after one day of use, I really like this iolite. I have found that loosely packed herbs with a slow steady draw on the mouthpiece produces the best clouds.

Great forum BTW =)

**Edit** Which got me to thinking about something else. CO and expecially butane are heavier than air. Even hot CO is heavier than air, which is why smog tends to sit low. Since the iolite seems to draw air for the vapor chamber from the top of the unit, and the exhaust is on the side, I would think that any harmful byproducts would go down, hmm, an idea ......

Ok, just confirmed something, I don't suggest you try it as I have now found out that incense smoke tastes horrible :rolleyes:

Lit a stick of incense and held it near the iolite (cold/off) then drew through the mouthpiece as hard as I could. If you look at where the herb chamber meets the body of the iolite, you will see a gap that blends in with the ribbing. This is the gap that the iolite draws vapor path air from. This gap is located almost an inch above the top of the exhaust port, and actually the exhaust port is recessed below a solid ledge that protrudes over said exhaust port. This makes me feel much better about not inhaling any CO or butane, whether it exists or not.

CatManDo,

vtac

vapor junkie
Staff member
Welcome to FC, CatManDo. Nice first post, hard to believe you just got it yesterday. :lol:

Reading that made me fire up the iolite. :cheers:

vtac,

stickstones

Vapor concierge
right on catman...one of the top first posts I have seen! welcome! Thanks for the observations...they all make sense and I hadn't taken a stone break long enough to think of them.

stickstones,

shotgunwilly

well, sure as shit, i snapped the other mouth piece... this really sucks and i was extremely gentle... im very bummed... it has to be a design flaw.... i was super, super gentle with it, because i was paranoid after the last one...but, to no avail.....boy this blows....well, i hope the replacements get here soon, and hopefully they are a little better....

shotgunwilly,

stickstones

Vapor concierge
that sucks shotgun...never heard of that happening before...they sound defective, as I never worry about mine.

stickstones,

highendvapes

Manufacturer
shotgunwilly said:
well, sure as shit, i snapped the other mouth piece... this really sucks and i was extremely gentle... im very bummed... it has to be a design flaw.... i was super, super gentle with it, because i was paranoid after the last one...but, to no avail.....boy this blows....well, i hope the replacements get here soon, and hopefully they are a little better....
Dude, I'm in the same boat. I just got mine, vaped like 4 bowls and the mouthpiece got soft. It broke off at the threads as well. Changed it out with the spare, and 2 bowls later same thing. Soft broken mouthpiece. I felt the broken end the second it happend, and it was definatly sticky soft. I was extremly gentle with the iolite from the second it came out of the box as it felt lightweight and fragile. I really feel that I did nothing to cause this failure, and if by chance I did cause it then this unit is far too fragile to be a portable vape. I've owned it for under 4 hours and already it is unuseable. Sucks too, cause when it WAS working, it really seemed to be effective. I WANT to like the Iolite, but this kinda breakage is really unacceptable.

highendvapes,

reece

highendvapes said:
shotgunwilly said:
Dude, I'm in the same boat. I just got mine, vaped like 4 bowls and the mouthpiece got soft. It broke off at the threads as well. Changed it out with the spare, and 2 bowls later same thing. Soft broken mouthpiece. I felt the broken end the second it happend, and it was definatly sticky soft. I was extremly gentle with the iolite from the second it came out of the box as it felt lightweight and fragile. I really feel that I did nothing to cause this failure, and if by chance I did cause it then this unit is far too fragile to be a portable vape. I've owned it for under 4 hours and already it is unuseable. Sucks too, cause when it WAS working, it really seemed to be effective. I WANT to like the Iolite, but this kinda breakage is really unacceptable.
I just got my unit back from a warranty repair and the new mouthpiece that came with it broke in minutes. On my first unit a mouthpiece broke after couple of weeks. I have some extras that are holding up fine, but you can see the threaded part is melting a bit.

reece,

stickstones

Vapor concierge
You guys should contact iolite about these mouthpieces. Since the rep has been showing up here they have really taken care of their customers. Sounds like they may have gotten a bad batch of mouthpieces because I have no problem with mine. Mine get a little soft, but never near breaking. I think the Iolite team is on vacation at the moment?

stickstones,

highendvapes

Manufacturer
stickstones said:
You guys should contact iolite about these mouthpieces. Since the rep has been showing up here they have really taken care of their customers. Sounds like they may have gotten a bad batch of mouthpieces because I have no problem with mine. Mine get a little soft, but never near breaking. I think the Iolite team is on vacation at the moment?
I shot them an email as soon as the first one broke. Hopefully they get back to me soon, sux having a new toy that useless. That was one of the other reasons that I posted this, hopefully the rep will have some comment as to why this is happening. :mad:

highendvapes,

Lo

Combustion free since '09
Oh brother! Sorry to hear about the broken mouthpieces!! I'm waiting for my 1st Iolite to show up any day now... I hope I don't get a lemon!!

Lo,

DevoTheStrange

Ia! Ia! Vapor Fthagn!
I've been wondering, have all the broken stems people have been experiencing happened when people tried too remove the stem while the mouthpiece and bowl are still warm?
it would make sense the mouth pieces would break if mouth piece was still warm while trying too remove the stems. I've never had a problem with my stems, but then again I've always waited until my mouth piece was cold before I ever attempted too remove the stems. Made sense too me, plastic easer to maul, deform, and break when its warm, or exceptionally cold.
could be something as simple as, "Do not attempt too unscrew stem until unit has cooled"

the only stickiness I notice on my stems is the essential oils that have gathered on the inside of the stems and any surface that sticks out inside the vapor path... gets really sticky, but it is not melted plastic... also unscrewing the parts that screw repeatedly, instead of slide in like the extendable mouth piece and white, will tend too get all kinds of oils inside the screws giving you the impression that they have melted.

the only time I unscrew everything is after it has had a little in some ISO or other solvent to help break up all the essential oils that have pretty much cemented everything together. after a soak I have no problems.. have yet too strip a stem or break one and I am pretty rough on my mouth piece...
compared too all my other vapes cleaning the oils out of the iolite is a bit more time consuming.

DevoTheStrange,

highendvapes

Manufacturer
No I didnt try and take it out, the first time it was actually in mid hit that it fell/melted/broke apart. the second time, I was removing the bowl to empty it, and made the mistake of pulling it out via the mouthpiece. It just pulled apart with the bowl remaining in place and the mouthpiece came off in my hand.

highendvapes,

getwitit

Most def could be just a bad batch:mad:
Anyways. Back to CatMan and his attempt at breaking down this device..because i have been too. :D
So vtac says he started heating another.first thing I did after reading that..put my screen thing back in. I was SO confused also on how the air path was designed for this thing(where the intake was AND where the flow went across the bud)..he also confirmed to me that the intake was ABOVE the exhaust which i was also curious of cuz i didn't know either of what it was doing in-between steps but it is odd you don't see a flash of blue on subsequent heatings though..idk..prob just didn't look close enough. anyways. i have one ? the that has been :o my mind. what is the (relative) ~capacity~ of this heating reservoir. like how much metal is atually being sustained at high temperature, minus the actual metal lining the outside of the bowl..much? i can't believe you've got a somewhat close idea of how to pull this thing well..been taking me some time..ive owned it for over a week now. long slow pulls when warmed; something like that :p
Any CO levels probably wouldn't concern me either way as you can smell it. and it is minimal? Just my :2c:

getwitit,
Top Bottom