highendvapes

Manufacturer
Ok i just took another mouthpiece from another Iolite { i ordered several, I'm a reseller} and that one broke too. :mad: I'll admit that I'm hard on things in general, but I've been babying the crap out of this mouthpiece. 3 mouthpieces since 10 am this morning, I personaly think that too be unreasonable.I think I may just throw the ones that I got in on Ebay and be done with Iolites. I dont want to carry vapes that arent "high end". If this were to happen to one of my customers, it would make me look bad. The consumer dosent care who made it or whos fault it is, I sell it, its my problem.

Which really sucks cause I need a GOOD portable vape. Any suggestions on that would be much appreciated. I'm thinking of taking an iolite { I do like it when the fkn mouthpiece isnt broken off.} and milling a replacement piece out of metal to replace the part that screws into the bowl. Then just add some whip tubing to that. Anyone here a tool and die guy?

Iolite definatly looks to be heading in the right direction, but the vape has shortcomings. Not to mention that the material used dosent seem to be able to hold up to casual use. If anyone wants to buy an Iolite, let me know, unforturnatly I dont want them. :(

Mod note: Selling only in the 'Sell your vape' thread please.

highendvapes,

shotgunwilly

no, i didnt try to unscrew it while it was hot, it seemed like a clean break on both and when put them back together both were dead straight, so no warping from heat... they didnt seem soft at the time either... i glued them with some crazy glue then put an 1500 degree epoxy "shoulder" around the base of the threads, seems to reinforce it enough and its lasted two bowls so far... the new ones i ordered should be here by tomorrow, so i ll see if the aftermarket ones are any better... i also shot them an email immediately but have yet to hear anything... i too am thinking of looking for a threaded metal nib to screw in and attach a hose to... let me know if you find out what size threads they are... metric no doubt... thanks.. and highend vapes, maybe you should hold off dumping your units until iolite responds, maybe they have a fix... because my iolite definitely rocks my world... i also attached a big rubber band thing (used to be an over the ear rubber thing for a bluetooth phone mic... ) looks good and keeps the bowl together...

shotgunwilly,

highendvapes

Manufacturer
shotgun, I agree the Iolite has the ability to rock, but come on your in the same boat as me right now. Actually one better as you've fixed one, I myself have purchased 2 of these things from myself today (too close to 500 bucks!!! I could have and should have bought a volcano for that kinda money spent.) Thankfully im at home and have others to go to.

highendvapes,

CatManDo

Getwittit, you will not see a flash of blue on subsequent heatings as the catalyst is at operating temperature and is catalyzing, rather than igniting the fuel. It seems to me that the operating temperature on these units has a certain amount of variance. Tomorrow, I am going to run to Micro Center and pick up a cheap infrared laser thermometer $15. It won't be as accurate as the thermocouple the other guy used, but it will give me a general idea of the temps if I let it sit with the herb chamber attached and empty, then immediately take a reading. I'll let you all know what mine reads out as.

IMHO, this vape is nice, but still a new product. (I remember when the first generation of the BMW 850i came out in America....what a nightmare) and we as the consumers are the first market test of the iolite. If the manufacturer takes into account our feedback and refines their product accordingly (not an overnight process, R&D can take years) we may have a true winner on our hands. Right now, this is a good vape for portability, stealth and cool factor, but I think I am also going to get some type of plug in, digitally adjustable vape (such as a volcano) for home use.

Happy toking all..:D

CatManDo,

Progress

'Socratic Existentialist, MD'
I don't understand all of this talk about the mouthpieces of the Iolite breaking. :shrug:

I use over 10 different Iolites fairly regularly (and mine daily ;) ).

I have even used it for 8-9 hours without turning it off to top off the butane (at a recent music festival), and I have only seen one broken mouthpiece. :shrug:

As an experiment, I tried leaving the Iolite run for almost 2 hours (until it seemed like it was running out of gas--the orange light glowed longer, but less intensely and began to sputter a bit). I then lifted it sideways by the tip of the stem (no extender).

I figured that this would break the mouthpiece of the Iolite it if anything did (NOTHING! :D ).

One side note: My first Iolite died (piezo failure) after 2 days of using it and had to be replaced :( (fortunately the replacement unit has never had any such issues).

Maybe it is a production consistency issue (and all of those I know who own them have luckily gotten sturdy mouthpieces :huh: ), but hearing all of these reports of breaking multiple stems has me perplexed :hmm: .

There definitely are areas of the Iolite that can be improved, but it still stands alone as the ONLY flameless, butane powered vaporizer available :tup: .

As for other portable vapes, look around FC (there are some good ones, but none like the Iolite).

Progress,

reece

highendvapes said:
I dont want to carry vapes that arent "high end". If this were to happen to one of my customers, it would make me look bad. The consumer dosent care who made it or whos fault it is, I sell it, its my problem.
Actually, this is the time for you to shine. Nothing and no one is perfect. It is how you handle the situation that makes you look good or bad. Sure, people would love to purchase something that never gives them problems but most reasonable people understand that stuff happens. Like I said, I've had two stems break. But I figure it is an anomaly because my other stems are holding up fine. The product has a two year warranty and the manufacturer, as well as at least one reseller, really seems to understand the importance of customer service. Yeah, it's your problem, but it is also an opportunity for you to make a customer for life, who will sing your praises to anyone else in the market for a vape. I'll tell you, after my experience with gotvape, they are the first place I look online for vaporizer products (after FC). But hey, what do I know? I'm just a guy who has purchased two vaporizers in the last three months.

reece,

highendvapes

Manufacturer
reece said:
highendvapes said:
I dont want to carry vapes that arent "high end". If this were to happen to one of my customers, it would make me look bad. The consumer dosent care who made it or whos fault it is, I sell it, its my problem.
Actually, this is the time for you to shine. Nothing and no one is perfect. It is how you handle the situation that makes you look good or bad. Sure, people would love to purchase something that never gives them problems but most reasonable people understand that stuff happens. Like I said, I've had two stems break. But I figure it is an anomaly because my other stems are holding up fine. The product has a two year warranty and the manufacturer, as well as at least one reseller, really seems to understand the importance of customer service. Yeah, it's your problem, but it is also an opportunity for you to make a customer for life, who will sing your praises to anyone else in the market for a vape. I'll tell you, after my experience with gotvape, they are the first place I look online for vaporizer products (after FC). But hey, what do I know? I'm just a guy who has purchased two vaporizers in the last three months.
Oh I hear ya, I just simply dont want to carry vapes that I personally dont feel live up to my expectations. I am on my 4th stem, and it has held up all day. :D This order of Iolites was to feel them out and see if they live up to the hype. ( and I wanted one) It really is a decent little stealthy vape, and I do so want to like it. I used it all day at a music festival and love its stealth performance. I just held my breath the whole time fearing the stem would break. If this stem holds up, I'll most likely change my stance on them. I do have 3 more stems coming, but really I am hoping they end up in a drawer.

The vapes that I currently sell all have a proven track record of quality and performance. Only if I feel that Iolite falls into this catagory will I carry it. I dont do this just for money. There are people out there that really need a good deleivery system, folks who take their meds regularly cant have a vape that falls apart. These are the people that I think of when I'm deciding on whether on not to carry a certain vape.

Like I also said, I have written to Iolite about the mouthpieces. Now I get to judge their customer service as well. If they are a stand up company that stands behind their product, it will go along way in my attitude towards Iolite. If they just blow me off and I have to keep bitchin to them, that too will help sway my attitude.

I like the iolite, dont like the mouthpieces. I am trying more and will see if they hold up. If they dont, I will fashion a metal connection from the body of the iolite to a whip for my personal one, as I do see the advantage of it. But if they dont hold up, or customer service is lacking well that just changes my views about selling their product.

highendvapes,

mempf

@highendvapes Before you make a call on the customer support, please remember they are all away on vacation until August 10th and are not answering support emails until then.

Oh btw, hi guys, long time reader of this thread, just registered and got an iolite two weeks ago.

@CatManDo Thank you for the details analysis of the iolite, being an engineer in training, that was a great read and I had been trying to figure out where the air intake was.

Now onto my personal experiences. My first iolite failed after about a week. (Ignition began to take 4-6 tries and then 10+, then not at all). Because support from the iolite guys is on hold until Aug. 10th I was lucky enough to get it exchanged in store. The second one is holding up great so far. Although I have noticed a few things I am concerned about.

1. The mouthpiece that's attached to the herb chamber (threads on both ends) is showing some stress in the form of white marks in the plastic where it links up with the herb chamber. It has not broken or anything but it's showing signs that may happen in the (near) future.

2. I only seem to be getting 1hour 20min - 1hour 30min out of my iolite. What durations are you guys getting on a full tank of butane? (Using colibri, can't seem to find anything else in Vancouver, sigh). My tests have been anything but scientific but I am fairly sure I am not getting the 2 hours stated in the manual. Also I have noticed this on both my iolites, the first defective one did not get any better durations when it was working. I would like to just fill up the iolite, turn it on and time it until it runs out of fuel. I would be running it empty for the test, but I have two problems with that. One I don't know if the unit was designed to safely be used empty for long durations. Two I don't know if running it empty/ not inhaling from it regularly would effect the duration in a significant way or not.

Well this post got much longer than I anticipated. Looking forward to hear back from you all.

EDIT: My first iolite was pink (last one in the store) but I got lucky and when it was replaced I was able to pick an awesome purple one instead. What color's are used by the FC community?

mempf,

lord

EDIT: My first iolite was pink (last one in the store) but I got lucky and when it was replaced I was able to pick an awesome purple one instead. What color's are used by the FC community?
Yellow--and I love the way it looks.

lord,

highendvapes

Manufacturer
mempf said:
@highendvapes Before you make a call on the customer support, please remember they are all away on vacation until August 10th and are not answering support emails until then.
Good call, thanks. I would have been getting pissed silly in a few days. Forgot all about their holiday. They should have some kind of auto reply to emails while their closed.

highendvapes,

CatManDo

Ok, quick update on my baby.

Didn't have time to get the IR thermometer yet, tied up in work. I am currently running with the lower screen off, and 6" of tubing.

1. Bowl size is key. Loose fill to the level top of the herb chamber (straw method works well) is good.

2. Hit gently while preheating, this removes the inital steam (boils at 212F vs. herb vapor at approx 300F+)

3. When you think the bowl is done, tap a couple of times and let sit for a couple of minutes (2-3) and hit again, there are still a few good hits left.

So far my mouthpiece hasn't even softened a bit, but I only use my vape for aboue 20 min at a time, after 3-4 bowls, I am toasted........

Happy toking, all

CatManDo,

royceman

First Post..

I received the Iolite Friday July 24th. Broke the 1st mouthpiece the next day:|.. 2nd one lasted 1 week..:mad: I was very careful with the stem after the 1st one broke, But come on !! Has too be a defective batch.. Called Got Vape.. They are going to send me one replacement stem, But stated im the only one to complain about this problem..

Besides for the stem..

I love the product.. Works great.. Went to the Drag Races and used it right in front of the cops and was not even approached..

royceman,

hopkins

I recently purchased an ioloite and about 2 weeks after buying it, I dropped it. The first row of about 4 of the vet type things above where the orange light appears. Does this in any way void my warranty? I am wondering because I am not getting good performance from it.

hopkins,

shotgunwilly

1. The mouthpiece that's attached to the herb chamber (threads on both ends) is showing some stress in the form of white marks in the plastic where it links up with the herb chamber. It has not broken or anything but it's showing signs that may happen in the (near) future.
yeah mempf, it sounds like its going to fracture there... my stems just kind of tipped over, like there was a pre fracture point, and as i said before, i didnt knock it or drop it, so im thinking maybe a bad batch of stems with a fracture point where the threads are cut... i reinforced that area with some epoxy putty (the high temp stuff you buy at homedepot in a small cylinder... so far, so good, the stem piece hasnt re snapped.... keeping the fingers crossed.... and i have to say, the vaporizer is working great... and highendvapes, good to see a business with some integrity... wish there was more like you around, also, you mentioned possibly replacing the stem with a metal piece, i think a brass hose barb would work well, (obviously one with a male end and i think brass will stop any electrolysis from happening, ie. two different metals ...) i just have to go and get the threads measured to figure out their size....and then begin the hunt for one that will fit. :)

shotgunwilly,

Vapolite

shotgunwilly said:
yeah mempf, it sounds like its going to fracture there... my stems just kind of tipped over, like there was a pre fracture point, and as i said before, i didnt knock it or drop it, so im thinking maybe a bad batch of stems with a fracture point where the threads are cut... i reinforced that area with some epoxy putty (the high temp stuff you buy at homedepot in a small cylinder... so far, so good, the stem piece hasnt re snapped.... keeping the fingers crossed.... and i have to say, the vaporizer is working great... and highendvapes, good to see a business with some integrity... wish there was more like you around, also, you mentioned possibly replacing the stem with a metal piece, i think a brass hose barb would work well, (obviously one with a male end and i think brass will stop any electrolysis from happening, ie. two different metals ...) i just have to go and get the threads measured to figure out their size....and then begin the hunt for one that will fit. :)
Be careful Stuff from homedepot is not designed for inhalation, epoxy too is a NO NO!
Even the clear plastic whip they use in most table vaporizers is not any plastic its medical grade plastic

Vapolite,

shotgunwilly

the stuff i used is the 1500 degree stuff and i used about a 1/4 of a pea amount (if that), so i don't think the quantity i used, or the 400 degrees of the iolite would degrade it enough to pose any problems, (definitely cant taste or smell anything) besides, its on the outside of the stem, not in a place the air is passing over it... that being said though, i understand what you are saying...but luckily, the replacement stems came today and they look slightly different construction than the original ones that came with it.... so i will give them a go and see how well they hold up.... thanks for the warning though vapolite, its definitely appreciated! :)

shotgunwilly,

thedude16

Ive had my iolite for a couple of months now and everything has been working perfectly... up until now.

I'm sure this question has been answered before but i cant find it.

Anyway...

After a recent fill up of butane and turn the gas on and hear the hissing. I click it on and a blue flame appears but the orange glow never comes. It's like its not catching. I leave it there for a day and try again and the same thing occurs. I then decide to purge the machine and try and release all the air from the chamber and then refill it back up. i let it sit again for a couple of hours and try it again. Same thing.

Has anyone else had this problem? and know quick fixes.

thanks

thedude16,

DevoTheStrange

Ia! Ia! Vapor Fthagn!
mine does that when it becomes suddenly humid... i live in the desert, so when ever it rains heavy, it takes a bit of time too light. I've even had several days where it wouldn't light at all. barometric pressure seems too play with it a bit.

DevoTheStrange,

mempf

Well I just cleaned my mouth piece. The plastic doesn't look much (if any) worse than last time I saw it. (The one attached to the herb chamber) So hopefully I won't have a problem with it breaking or melting.

Now just a question, how tightly does the white mouth piece fit on your guys' tubes? Without the extender the white piece fits so loose in my tube that turning it upside down would cause it to fall out. The extender however fits in this same tube very tightly. Putting the white piece in the extender makes it fit "just" tight enough not to fall out if turning it upside down and giving it a little shake.

@thedude16 That is exactly what happened to my first iolite except after only a week.

mempf,

UrDoinItWrong

There has GOT to be some issue with a batch of weak stems. My roommate uses his Iolite daily (as do I) and he actually uses it while clamping the stem in his teeth...the unit hanging out of his mouth. It sticks out to the side so the stem wont pop off, which would put maximum pressure on that stem...and he hasn't broken one. I will even clamp it in my teeth from time to time if I'm busy at work or typing or something....never had a stem even feel weak. Perhaps they did a run with a different plastic/density something whateva whateva, who knows. Aside from mine being a little sputtery at first, with the RIGHT FUEL (Colibri #1 IMO) this has been a completely worry-free, awesome device.

I've used it in front of cops, my parents, customers at work, you name it. All that's left is for me to hit it while court is in session or perhaps during a job interview.

UrDoinItWrong,

DB

Got my iolite last week. Great piece of kit and my first vape. Unfortunately this morning the stem fell apart as I was putting it to my lips. It left a piece of black plastic seemingly melded to the metal. Nothing I do will break it loose and I cannot fit any other mouthpieces into the unit. It's basically bricked. :(

Has this happened to anyone else? If so, how did you go about getting up and running again. Thanks!!

DB,

UrDoinItWrong

Seriously, Iolite MUST have changed what they make the stems out of. My Iolite dropped onto a concrete floor ON the stem last night while fully heated up and didn't break, lol.

DB, maybe try heating it up then trying to chisel/scrape off the remaining plastic with a small screwdriver or something. All else fails, you got a 2 year warranty and solid customer service from Iolite!

UrDoinItWrong,

DB

Thanks UR. I was thinking I would put the bowl unit it in the freezer and everything would contract. I've tried using a tiny screwdriver but it is as if the plastic had melded with the metal. Really put the Harsh on my morning!

DB,

horsepower

First time posting. I've been using the Iolite for 3 months now. I use it daily. It sure gets hot so I bought a 2 foot tube and attached it to the moth piece. This does help but I've noticed that in the moring my sinuses, mouth and throte are ready dry. I happen to see my ear, nose and throte doctor for something else and told him about the iolite's heat and my dryness. I was shocked to hear what he had to say. He said that the daily heat going into my mouth was really bad and could cause many problems longer term. He said mouth and throute cancer has been connected with constant heat going into the mouth.

So, I wonder if this has ever been addressed?

horsepower,
Top Bottom