reece

DB said:
Got my iolite last week. Great piece of kit and my first vape. Unfortunately this morning the stem fell apart as I was putting it to my lips. It left a piece of black plastic seemingly melded to the metal. Nothing I do will break it loose and I cannot fit any other mouthpieces into the unit. It's basically bricked. :(

Has this happened to anyone else? If so, how did you go about getting up and running again. Thanks!!
It has happened to me twice. It isn't melded, it is screwed in. That is the part with the threads. Just find something to stick into it and unscrew. It's no big deal.

horsepower said:
He said mouth and throute cancer has been connected with constant heat going into the mouth.

So, I wonder if this has ever been addressed?
Can you ask your doctor what the circumstances are concerning "constant heat going into the mouth." Is this heat from cigarettes, cigars, pipes, etc? Or, does this constant heat come from other sources?

reece,

Happycamper

Sweet Dreams Babycakes
horsepower said:
First time posting. I've been using the Iolite for 3 months now. I use it daily. It sure gets hot so I bought a 2 foot tube and attached it to the moth piece. This does help but I've noticed that in the moring my sinuses, mouth and throte are ready dry. I happen to see my ear, nose and throte doctor for something else and told him about the iolite's heat and my dryness. I was shocked to hear what he had to say. He said that the daily heat going into my mouth was really bad and could cause many problems longer term. He said mouth and throute cancer has been connected with constant heat going into the mouth.

So, I wonder if this has ever been addressed?
Ive heard of people who drink very hot drinks all the time might be increasing chances of something like that, but how hot are you saying the vaped air or mouthpiece gets?

I dont drink my drinks that hot, but i have fairly hot drinks thoughout the day at work. That must be as bad as you using that thing, adn it's not really going to be something that keeps me awake worrying about it.

Happycamper,

DB

The broken end wouldn't come out because it was screwed in. I finally managed to get my needle nose pliers in there and unscrew it so I am back in business. Down to one mouthpiece though and I ended up dislodging the metal bowl assembly so it it loose. The mouthpieces should be metal as well (if heat could be mitigated).

Anyway, need to get more mouthpieces so I am not without my sweet vapors!

EDIT: Posted before I saw your post Reece. Thanks for the info!!:peace:

DB,

DevoTheStrange

Ia! Ia! Vapor Fthagn!
from my understanding heat can be a contributing factor too throat cancer when there is smoke involved, its common for heavy smokers and fire fighters. I think once the cells are damaged by the smoke the heat just moves in and kills them. So the combo of a carcinogenic smoke and the heat makes it more likely too have cell mutations leading too cancer. I think any amount of excess heat in your throat would be bad. and by excess heat I mean huge amounts, much more than you would encounter while vaping. Think of chronic cig smokers who literally smoke every ten minutes or so. Or fire fighters who will be in high degree heat areas for several minutes.
should try having something too drink while your using the iolite... take a drink between hits so it does feel like you just sucked on a blow dryer...

DevoTheStrange,

max

Out to lunch
horsepower said:
He said that the daily heat going into my mouth was really bad and could cause many problems longer term. He said mouth and throute cancer has been connected with constant heat going into the mouth.
Does he have a clue about the actual temp of the air that hits your throat? We get questions sometimes about the safety of vinyl tubing, as far as exposure to heat. But vapor cools very quickly once it leaves the bowl. If you're taking an easy draw, and/or have some tubing for additional cooling, the air temp is probably no greater (maybe less) than breathing desert air on a hot day in Arizona.

As for cancer causes, cancerous cells attempt to form in your body every day by the thousands. A healthy immune system is a better defense than trying to escape from everything that could 'cause' cancer.

max,

MrMikesName

Hey, my name's mike (as you can probably tell) and I'm new to the forums. I recently purchased the iolite vaporizer from an online vendor in California. When I finally received my vaporizer I was excited, but my excitement was short lived. I assembled the vaporizer and quickly filled it with butane. I switched the on/off switch to 1 and waited... and waited... and waited... nothing. I thought I was doing something wrong, so I read the instructions again. Nothing I tried worked, so I started to shake the damn thing. After a little bit of shaking I got a faint bubbling sound. A little more shaking and I got a blast of butane for about 1 or 2 seconds. I figured, "Hey! I'm on to something here... maybe I just have to shake the shit out of the thing every time I want to use it!" After a little bit of shaking I was finally able to get it to light. Once lit, the vaporizer would start spurting out butane in short bursts. The short bursts eventually got faster and faster until the unit finally started working correctly, I think. So, shortly after my friends and I are puffing on the thing lo and behold the mouth piece snaps off. I didn't snap under pressure or anything, it just snapped off while I was hitting it. I figured, "Hey! They gave me an extra mouth piece, no big deal!" Well, the next day I refill the unit, switch it to on, and wait... and wait... and wait.. nothing. So I start shaking it again, but nothing's happening this time. This is where i started to get pissed off. Instead of shaking the unit, I've now been reduced to slapping the thing against the palm of my hand. Also, I thought it pertinent to note that while it's sitting there malfunctioning there's some sort of flap opening and closing inside (I know this because I can hear it banging around). Anyway, after 10 rounds with the thing I finally get it working again. I finally start to enjoy my sweet herb and guess what... the fucking mouthpiece breaks again. So now I'm really pissed, not only is it not working, but it's falling apart right in front of my eyes. Anyway, I decide enough is enough and I call the online vendor to return the unit as defective. The lady on the phone tells me she's never heard of any such problem and I must be using the wrong butane. So, I go to the store and buy up every brand of butane I can find. The brand of butane doesn't seem to make a difference, but I'm starting to think maybe I need to buy the special 4x brand or w/e they're selling on the internet. Before I go and blow a bunch of money on this special butane I want to know if maybe the butane delivery system is clogged or something? At first it sits there and sputters, then if I smack it hard enough it'll spit out a little bit. If I sit there and slap it repeatedly it will eventually be like ... pfft ... pfft ... pfft .. pft .. pft . pft .pft .pft .pft pfffffffffffffttttttttttttttt. lol, or something like that. I've vented the unit 20 times, so I know that's not the problem. Sound like a clogged valve or something? Bad butane maybe? Can I clean it? Should I send it back and tell them it's defective? (I really don't want to wait another 2 weeks to use something I payed ALOT of money for...)

So, in summary:

-Wont spit out butane unless I smack the hell out of it

-After smacking the hell out of it, it sputters, stutters and then spits before it works.

-Mouthpieces broke within 2 days of arrival

Any help is appreciated.. really bums me out when I spend 300usd to get something that's turning out to be a POS

Thanks,

(not yet angry, but starting to foam at the mouth)
Mike

---PS---

About the mouthpieces... the online vendor told me the mouthpieces aren't covered under the warranty and replacement pieces are $15usd PER PIECE. I read previously in the thread that some people just get a weak batch of mouthpieces, so if I get the super special butane I'll also get some mouthpieces and let you guys know how that works out.

MrMikesName,

Soaper

I've had my Iolite for about 3 weeks now and I just love it! I use it daily and I haven't had any problems. I read through this thread and several other reviews and followed the advice about taking out the bottom screen, letting the herb heat up in the unit a couple of cycles before hitting, and using slow long draws, and I get great results.

I think any new product will have its share of challenges, and this product is apparently experiencing its fair share, but I have to say I am really impressed that the company rep comes here and posts and appears to be trying to make it right. Kudos to them.

Soaper,

DB

Thought I was all fixed up when I got the broken mouthpiece out, but then it failed to "light up" consistently. After some experimentation I came to the conclusion that the carbon residue from my heating the bowl (to dislodge the plastic stem) was messing with the unit's thermostat. I cleaned the bowl with a swab of rubbing alcohol and it seems to be working now. Will probably need a new mouthpiece and maybe a new herb chamber if it is permanently screwed. Hope I didn't void the warranty :uhoh:

DB,

MrMikesName

It's a miracle! I've found a good brand of butane and my Iolite is working like a charm.

What an awesome vaporizer! Sorry for badmouthing the Iolite in my previous post, but I was in a bad mood.

There's still the issue of the weak mouthpieces, but I've found that shaving down the bottoms of the extension pieces lets you slip it down in as a make-shift mouthpiece.

--ps--

It wasn't working at first with the new butane and I suspect it was because I didn't leave enough time for the old fuel to burn out. So, I filled the unit up with the new fuel and then let it run out. Afterward, everything started working fine.

Also, quick question. How do you guys grind up your herb if it is super sticky? I put it in the grinder, but it just sticks to everything and then clumps together afterward anyway.

MrMikesName,

Happycamper

Sweet Dreams Babycakes
MrMikesName said:
It's a miracle! I've found a good brand of butane and my Iolite is working like a charm.

What an awesome vaporizer! Sorry for badmouthing the Iolite in my previous post, but I was in a bad mood.

There's still the issue of the weak mouthpieces, but I've found that shaving down the bottoms of the extension pieces lets you slip it down in as a make-shift mouthpiece.

--ps--

It wasn't working at first with the new butane and I suspect it was because I didn't leave enough time for the old fuel to burn out. So, I filled the unit up with the new fuel and then let it run out. Afterward, everything started working fine.

Also, quick question. How do you guys grind up your herb if it is super sticky? I put it in the grinder, but it just sticks to everything and then clumps together afterward anyway.
Can the herb be dried out (or cured) some more? Just about every type of Vape benefits greatly from the herb getting finely ground up, if it's too dank it can be very difficult. Dryer herb also tends to produce more vapor.

Maybe leave herb on top of tv or in airing cupboard for a while.

Happycamper,

Happycamper

Sweet Dreams Babycakes
Back to mouth pieces....

Why are people not getting new mouth pieces supplied?

It does not matter if the warrenty covers it or not. They are supplying people with faulty products so you should get new mouth pieces.

Happycamper,

highendvapes

Manufacturer
Happycamper said:
Back to mouth pieces....

Why are people not getting new mouth pieces supplied?

It does not matter if the warrenty covers it or not. They are supplying people with faulty products so you should get new mouth pieces.
I with you. I've used up the mouthpieces on both of my new iolites and have just broken into some replacement stems. Heres hoping they were made before the current batch cause I've had enough. I love to use this thing in stealth mode, but cant stant just waiting for the mouthpiece to break.

It would be nice if Iolite comes off of holiday and responds to emails. I'm sure they have quite a few to deal with. I just want the thing to work reliably.

highendvapes,

shotgunwilly

afternoon everyone... an update on stems, i replaced the old stems, (the ones that came with the unit) with the aftermarket ones, and so far, so good, (approx 1 week...) so, for anyone wanting to get a new stem without waiting for iolite to come back online, thats a possible option... (although about $15 which kinda sucks) also, i was cleaning my bowl the other day, (the one that attaches to the stem) and noticed quite a build up of tar (or thc or gunk, whatever you want to call it) on the "bottom" (right where the stem attaches) of the bowl, so i cleaned it completely with rubbing alcohol, (worked like a champ) and noticed there wasnt much head room from where the screen fits in to the bottom of the bowl (or top of the bowl...again where the threads for the stem is) and when the gung builds up, im thinking, even though there is a little space between the bottom of the bowl and the screen, that little space gets blocked and only the center hole of the screen is drawing air... so, i put the extra retaining ring that came with the iolite in first and then the screen (the seven hole one) then the other retaining ring, giving a micro amount of more head room between the screen and the bottom of the bowl... now it may be my imagination and i was hoping someone else had done this, or will try it, but, i seem like im getting quite a more vapor now... (visible vapor) if someone else tries this, let me know if im crazy... but, my iolite rocks!

shotgunwilly,

leozdad

I have two iolites and have only had an issue with 1 stem. I guess i got lucky and got some of a good batch.

I am going to try that little trick with the extra retaining ring as soon as i get home tonight. i have taken the mouthpiece apart and seen what you are talking about and that totally makes sense what you are saying about the lack of "headroom" so i will let you know how it works out.

And you are so right, Iolites kick ass :peace:

leozdad,

highendvapes

Manufacturer
I just got an email from Iolite and they confirmed that they have a bad batch of mouthpieces. they are sending me replacements, but until then I'm SOL :(

highendvapes,

leozdad

hey shotgun i tried that fix of putting the extra retianing ring in the herb chamber followed by the screen and the other retaining ring really makes a big difference in the hit , i mean a BiG difference thanks for the tip! :peace:

leozdad,

shotgunwilly

hey leozdad, im glad that it worked! shit, i thought i might of been imagining it.... i noticed the gung build up is quicker though...(more thc maybe?) anyway, thanks for trying it... whoo hoo!

shotgunwilly,

max

Out to lunch
We have identified a batch that was not made to our high standards.
Thought that might be the case. Too many breaking for no reason. After 10 months the only one I've broken was my fault.

max,

NoSmoke

Well after trying ShotgunWilly's tip I have to say I am Blowing some big clouds and receiving a pretty heavy buzz off this fucker! I love it great tip and I recommend everyone who owns an Iolite do this, I also think Iolite should look into modifying the herb chamber per Willy's tip. Its that big of a difference AWESOME!

Edit: forgot to mention that i put a screen on the second retaining ring (seven hole ring) I used the spare screen for the bottom chamber and made the hole bigger that way the metal pin could slide right thru allowing the cover to fit on nice and tightly! Works great! Also forgot to mention that with this tip there is less space in the herb chamber allowing for smaller loads! And smaller loads pack tight only mean one thing, conservation of the sacred :leaf: with satisfying hits!

NoSmoke,

Lo

Combustion free since '09
You know I wanted to try that tip but I didn't quite understand directions. Only had my iolite for a couple weeks and I don't know what the heck the retaining ring is. Can someone explain in to me like I'm 5 or something (I'm not I swear!! 40'ish)?? I'd like to try it but...

Lo,

lord

Pertaining to the tip... Is this what is supposed to be done:

Leave the screen and the ring that is inside the herb chamber as is (i.e. the chamber that the mouth pieces connect to).

First step, place a ring on top of the ring (and screen) already inside the herb chamber. Second, take the seven holed replacement screen and place it inside the herb chamber on top of the two rings that are now inside. Then add a ring to hold that in place. Done.

Is this correct?

lord,

Lo

Combustion free since '09
Hey, I understood that! I hope someone comes along to verify! I think I'm getting closer to this mod!

Lo,

highendvapes

Manufacturer
no, take it all out, put in one ring then the seven holed screen, then the other ring to hold it in place. clear enough??

highendvapes,
Top Bottom