Herb Grinders

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
This analogy may be useful for you. Names imply value, and misnaming something is a form of deception. Is that Tea Set Silver, or Silver Plated? Is that watch Gold or Gold Plated? The binary choices in those two examples clearly do not describe the same objects, and to imply that the latter are the same as the former is a lie.

Vitolo

Vaporist
The better question is... does this actually do anything? Ive yet to see any evidence that a Ti SC will outperform say... a standard aluminum SCS of the same size.
I do not think the titanium is helpful.. I think it is "ear candy" (sounds good)
I feel that you did right!
I wrote a bad review for Ti SC
I love my Space Cases, but that coating is just thick enough to make the
Titanium version of our tool turn too snuggly when it is soiled.
I got it from a very reliable and "cool" distributor (Puffitup) who gave me an easy time of it, but I have never touched the Space case Titanium Coated products again.

MinnBobber

Many other products have titanium in the name and are not solid Ti. For some it means a coating, for others a color.
Ti is very difficult expensive to manufacture and machine. A small snowmobile clutch spring (4" long) is about $160 and has minimal machining. Think of all the machining to do a 4 piece grinder with all the pieces and threads and teeth and screens etc.
I would never expect a real Ti grinder to cost less than $200???
My Ti Silhouette glasses frames cost $250 and they are just two tiny bows and a small nose piece.

Example:
Schick Quattro Titanium Razor Refill, 4ct:
  • Schick razor refills with spiral blade stropping
  • Titanium coating

grokit

well-worn member
:2c:
If it's plated, it could flake or chip off but not likely if done correctly.
If it's anodized, it can only wear down unless it's poorly done. As I understand it the anodizing is there to help prevent wear, so less likely to wear down/rub off. And if it's ti rather than aluminum whatever wears off would be less toxic, but it would be such a minute amount that I wouldn't think it matters anyways.

grokit,
Reactions: Caligula

MinnBobber

I dont think anyone ever implied that the SC grinder was made of machined titanium.

I think some certainly did feel it was solid TI when they said things like it seems like false advertising etc when they find out it is only Ti coated.

"In that case calling them a titanium grinder is misleading, they are really a titanium coated aluminium grinder, even then, as you say yourself, the titanium coating is not pure & contains an unknown percentage of titanium.... ". From a previous post.

MinnBobber,

Caligula

Maximus
You need to look at the context of that quote.

The discussion was in reference to whether or not SC was being disingenuous with their marketing. All parties involved acknowledge that the unit is primarily machined aluminum. The quandary at the moment is what the "titanium coating" is comprised of exactly and in what quantities.

GreenDragon

The better question is... does this actually do anything? Ive yet to see any evidence that a Ti SC will outperform say... a standard aluminum SCS of the same size.

I have a box full of grinders. I've used raw aluminum, anodized and four different SpaceCase Ti grinders.

My personal favorite is a medium SC Ti 4 piece.
The "Titanium" finish on the SCs really does have non-stick properties. I haven't cleaned my daily driver in four years (when I received it). It builds up a thin film of goodness that sheds itself before building up very thick. It is continuously shedding tiny keif boogers back into the herb.
They say the titanium coating helps the teeth stay sharper too. Maybe, I don't know. Mine are as sharp as when new after four years, but I haven't used any other grinder this much to compare it to.

The SCS grinders do reportedly have a very nice fluffy grind. The SC grinders' diamond shaped teeth provide a normal medium grind. Nothing special with SC's grind, same as most any grinder. I may need to purchase an SCS to experience the fluffy grind that users are enjoying.

I also have not tried the plastic grinder from Storz & Bickle. Many people really like it's fine grind.

Magic9

Plant Enthusiast
SC are probably coated in Titanium aluminium nitride (TiAlN) or Aluminum titanium nitride (AlTiN). The more I search, the more baffled I am as to why there is not a definitive answer yet.

SCS have color. There are four different ways (Dye, Electrolytic Coloring,Integral Coloring, and Interference Coloring) to do this. It would seem to be interference coloring based on some of the colors. Does anyone know for sure?

Magic9,
Reactions: Kief

t-dub

Vapor Sloth
Having had both the SC "Ti" and the SCS I have to say that for ease of spin, for someone with arthritis, a frozen SC "Ti" was best. The grind doesn't compare to the shred though, and warm, the SC is higher maintenance. My favorite grinder is easily the SCS and I don't keep it frozen. It might just be slightly "notchier" getting started but you will be rewarded with a superior "shred". Maintenance is very low, I like a little grinder grease once in a while other than that it goes in the ultrasonic cleaner once or twice/year. Its worth the time to thin the lumber out of your meds before shredding . . . ;)

sticks.jpg

---
scs2l.jpg

Last edited:

FlyingLow

Team NO SLEEP!
ISO will absorb whatever color your grinder is, but it does no damage nor has any noticeable fading affect on the color of your grinder.

FlyingLow,

Vitolo

Vaporist
SC are probably coated in Titanium aluminium nitride (TiAlN) or Aluminum titanium nitride (AlTiN). The more I search, the more baffled I am as to why there is not a definitive answer yet.

SCS have color. There are four different ways (Dye, Electrolytic Coloring,Integral Coloring, and Interference Coloring) to do this. It would seem to be interference coloring based on some of the colors. Does anyone know for sure?
SCS are anodized. This in their case would make use of Electrolytic Coloring process.

Vitolo,
Reactions: Magic9

turk

turk
Having had both the SC "Ti" and the SCS I have to say that for ease of spin, for someone with arthritis, a frozen SC "Ti" was best. The grind doesn't compare to the shred though, and warm, the SC is higher maintenance. My favorite grinder is easily the SCS and I don't keep it frozen. It might just be slightly "notchier" getting started but you will be rewarded with a superior "shred". Maintenance is very low, I like a little grinder grease once in a while other than that it goes in the ultrasonic cleaner once or twice/year. Its worth the time to thin the lumber out of your meds before shredding . . . ;)

sticks.jpg

---
scs2l.jpg
......looks like you have enough for fire wood t-dub...!

Modnote: Edited to move reply outside of quote tags.

Last edited by a moderator:

Magic9

Plant Enthusiast
Vitolo said:
SCS are anodized. This in their case would make use of Electrolytic Coloring process.

Not to cast doubt, but there are four ways to color anodized aluminum and I didn't see any mention of the process they use on their website. If they are using Electrolytic Coloring, it would have to be the two step process using dye as opposed to metal salts. I base that on spectral colors being available.

I may be in the market for a new grinder. After a deep cleaning, I noticed nicks where metal is showing from under the "Ti" coating. Mainly on the edges of some of the teeth. Have to look close and to the naked eye, not bad. Under the scope though, it looks like denim, with the way light and dark criss crosses from the coating and aluminum.

To be fair, I did grind some salt and toothpicks with it. I wanted to give it a stress test. Some visible metal was evident to the eye prior to the stress test although I did not scope it beforhand.

Regarding the SCS, why does ISO make the color "bleed"? What is the science behind it? Also, is there any chipping of color where you can see the underlying aluminum? Has anyone ground salt? Has anyone put it under a microscope?

Magic9,

GreenDragon

After a bit of research on the above coatings that Magic9 posted... If SC is being truthful at all, I would guess that SC is using an AlTiN coating... it's just my theory atm. They also may or may not be adding something else into the mix, but I doubt they will give up their recipe.

Mr. Kief, you are right about SpaceCase not telling the recipe. They would not be specific and say which titanium process they use.

I called SpaceCase again today (last time was April 2011) and asked again about their "Titanium coating".
A very patient gentleman named Rory assured me that they are coated in a titanium containing process. He would not divulge which process they use or it's percentage of titanium. He stated that is proprietary information and he couldn't tell me.

Bummer. Inquiring minds want to know.

P.S. - I asked if they still had any of the old "B Stock" purple, rose, gunmetal gray Ti grinders and he said some Head Shop called and bought the entire stock a while back.

Moderators - Sorry, this a a repost from "Ask FC/Is the Titanium SpaceCase grinder worth it"? This conversation has been going on for years and I thought the information was even more germane here. Could the thread from Ask FC be merged here?

Last edited by a moderator:

tepictoton

So the black leaf matrix grinder arrived and I am more then happy with it. Paid 30euros shipped.

It is really light, even lighter then my smaller no brand four piece. Yet it feels solid, and the magnet feels stronger as well. Nice grooves in the top and bottom rim for better grip.

And see those 'block teeth'...

PP5H2UU.jpg

wh281lQ.jpg

hvtg94N.jpg

9qVAaej.jpg

FlyingLow

Team NO SLEEP!
Looks nice, I like the scrapper they gave you too.

I was just looking at my teeth and noted the SCS actually has a bit of flare to it, where none of the angles on the square teeth are right angles, each side is slightly curved so that each corner comes to a sharp point.

20130117_191220.jpg

Top Bottom