• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Herb Grinders

vtac

vapor junkie
Staff member
I'm sure most people here have one, but here's a thread for the hell of it.

Herb grinders do what you would expect, two sets of teeth tear the herb into smaller pieces, perfect for vaporization. A grinder exposes more surface area than chopping with scissors and is a lot easier than ripping up the bud with your fingers.

Another great feature some grinders have is a screen that catches your bud, but lets the small trichomes fall through and collect in a bottom tray. These wonderful resin heads stick together to become what is known as kif. You can sprinkle it on your herbs to vaporize as is, or press it into hash.

There are a ton of hand grinders out there and most work on the same principal. However, there is a big difference in quality from the top of the line to a cheap acrylic grinder. A good one will probably last a lifetime and is a worthwhile investment.

Some features you want to look for are a magnetic top which keeps the freely rotating top piece from falling off. As well as a nylon gasket, which allows smooth turning of the top piece and prevents metal on metal contact.

Couple pics. SSV crew threw this in one of my orders for free, works well.

ssv-grinder.jpg

kif-grinder.jpg

When you first get a new grinder, it's a good idea to give it a thorough cleaning to remove production residues. Dry grind for a minute (use some oregano or something if you want), then give it a thorough scrub with a toothbrush in warm soapy water. Shake/towel/fan dry and be sure to let it air out till there's no moisture left. Watch for small magnetic particles.

With 4+ piece kif collecting grinders, you can put a small coin or something in the screen compartment to speed up kif collection. Though this also means fewer trichomes in your ground herb and more plant matter in your kif. Shaking the grinder side to side (no coin) la sifter box is a cleaner method.

See also: Herb Grinders on Vaporpedia

Clear_Dome

Vaporhead
Glass Blower
first of all I did'nt test a lot of them but I'll stay away from the acrlilyc/wood model ,cause one of my friend just break an acrilyc teeth and smoke it in a join POUHAHAHAHA damn it was so funny ....but anyway those model are cheap and easily breakable ... I like the mix n ball shape , but I also like the Chronium Crusher from e-bay made of steel/zinc,It's seem to be really well machined and durable for realy cheap (the only weakness is the seller just take imediate paymant ,and I dont use a credit card)

Chronium Crusher :
http://stores.ebay.com/LiGhTeRs-Grinder-Store

mix n ball
http://shop.grasscity.com/shop/grasscity/acc259.html

Clear_Dome

Vaporhead
Glass Blower
exact ...I'm scrare of all plastic / wood / metal when we talck about smoking/vaporizing ...this is the only reason why I change my herbal air , cause there is no other big weakness ...It work still great as the first time I use it and it make more than a year that I own it ...

ps: the guy who smoke the plastic piece was just finding that the join he was smoking taste weird and just smoke it LOL but after he grind some other grass and realize that he's grinder was broken LOLLL damn ....I just dont know how the hell you can smoke plastic and dont realize LOL....LOLLLL

stickstones

Vapor concierge
Mine is a sharpstone that I have been happy with. However, after daily use for about two months the lid has some black shit along the edges that is kind of gunking it up slightly when I turn it to grind it. I don't know if this is typical...I haven't taken the time to clean it yet.

But grinding is definitely the way to go. I got my grinder in anticipation of getting a vape and it was making me more efficient even when combusitng.

vtac

vapor junkie
Staff member
stickstones said:
Mine is a sharpstone that I have been happy with. However, after daily use for about two months the lid has some black shit along the edges that is kind of gunking it up slightly when I turn it to grind it. I don't know if this is typical...I haven't taken the time to clean it yet.
Probably compacted kif and plant material, great at gumming up the edges. Scrape/chip it off with a hard plastic utensil and save it for cooking, etc. Isopropanol is also good for cleaning them in general.

The two piece grinders seem to gunk up a lot faster since there's no mesh for the sticky resin glands to fall through and collect in the bottom.

vtac,
Reactions: Deecee

Clear_Dome

Vaporhead
Glass Blower
hey I find this one ! i pay like 22 buck for it on ebay ...it look nice and well machined :

Clear_Dome,

Clear_Dome

Vaporhead
Glass Blower
yes it look nice and was pretty cheap ...I just wish the anodized aluminium is good quality and will stay sharp

Clear_Dome,

vtac

vapor junkie
Staff member
darthvapor said:
I find that electric coffee grinders work really well.
Thanks, I forgot to mention this. If you need to grind a lot of herb fast, this is the way to go. Just don't overchop. :)

vtac,
Reactions: BarnBoy

Clear_Dome

Vaporhead
Glass Blower
darthvapor said:
I find that electric coffee grinders work really well. sure they don't catch kif as well as a screen grinder, but it takes all of 3 seconds to grind up a bag and i can get the kif out of mine easily with my finger and a credit card. oh yeah and they only cost about $15 compared to 50-60 for a space case. ex. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00006IUZL
First, welcome here darthvapor ,thanks for the link ..I ever own a coffee grinder just like this one but this kind of electric grinder remove too much thc or (kief if your prefer) and make the herb taste wierd....when I grind up my herb my goal is to expose more surface to the heat ,not to rip off all the thc ;)

ps: what kind of vaporizer to you use ?

Clear_Dome,

darthvapor

but this kind of electric grinder remove too much thc or (kief if your prefer) and make the herb taste wierd....when I grind up my herb my goal is to expose more surface to the heat ,not to rip off all the thc wink
haha yeah i did notice that i get a lot more kif than my buddies, but so far i haven't noticed a difference in the quality of vapor.

If you need to grind a lot of herb fast, this is the way to go. Just don't overchop. smile
you do have to be careful. i only tap the on button quickly, the rest of the time is spent waiting for the blade to stop spinning.

darthvapor,

vtac

vapor junkie
Staff member
Mmmmm I missed those pics before, tasty!

On another note, the official Storz & Bickel (makers of the Volcano) grinder is plastic? I've heard they work okay... but for $500+? :\

vtac,

Clear_Dome

Vaporhead
Glass Blower
LOL nice combo !!! a volcano and a plastic grinder !!! does they give it with the volcano or ?

Clear_Dome,

vtac

vapor junkie
Staff member
It comes with the Volcanos you buy direct from Storz & Bickel. Seems kind of lame to include a plastic grinder with a $669 kit, but maybe I'm just anti plastic. :uhoh:

Clear_Dome

Vaporhead
Glass Blower
vapor tactician said:
It comes with the Volcanos you buy direct from Storz & Bickel. Seems kind of lame to include a plastic grinder with a $669 kit, but maybe I'm just anti plastic. :uhoh:
and maybe am just anti volacno ....:lol: jokeee

Clear_Dome,

Clear_Dome

Vaporhead
Glass Blower
supose to get it 2d :D i'm hurry to see if this is a poor 'made in china' type of grinder or if it is a good & cheap .....22 buck shipped ...this is a great deal if it is good quality !!just can't wait to end my long work day...

Clear_Dome,

Spiderman

oil baron
I used a sharpstone for awhile, and definitly enjoyed it. Although, I've recently switched off of grinders, to breaking my herb by hand. I do get some of the plant resin on my fingers, but after a day, i can usually rub up a hit or two worth of finger hash. I switched to using a Wicca box, with a 140u screen on the bottom, which i break my herb over. Take out all the pieces of leaf, only keep the calyxes, and then pack bowls full of the calyxes. It gives me slightly less plant matter in my vape, which means lower chance of vaping nasties.

Also, the kif I get is a purer product than what I used to get in my sharpstone. The coin trick will also cause more contaminants to be forced into your kif, giving you a greener, less pure product.

But thats a reall great grinder for SSV to throw in, any chance of a shot of the blade configuration?

Spiderman,

stickstones

Vapor concierge
The kif that is caught in my grinder is the color of the plant matter. I thought it was gonna be just crystals...this is my first grinder. Is it my screen or is it supposed to look this way?

stickstones,
Reactions: Kupoace

Clear_Dome

Vaporhead
Glass Blower
yeah I got my aerospace grinder 2d !!! and it work really nice for the price !! ....if you want some better kif just take your pollen and put it over a finner screan ....I just use my 90 micron bag from my payload kit and get some pure white ,fullmelt resin !!!

ps: vap some pure resin in the extreme is ..EXTREME ....lol you can see it make some big clear dome of pure thc :cool:

Clear_Dome,
Reactions: aamp420
Top Bottom