Herb Grinders

tuk

I'm thinking of getting a grinder card but as I don't know much about those and have never met anyone using them I wanted to ask you for some input. I know this thread is more about high end grinders but well it's a grinder as well so I believe I'm in the right section (plus I'm too new here to dare starting a new thread :uhoh:) but please let me know if there's a better place for this or if it deserves its own thread.

So if any of you is/has been using one of those cards please let me know what you think of it (what's convenient or not in those, brands to avoid/recommend, materials? anything really will be appreciated as so far it seems to me that it's treated as a bit of a gadget but I can't help thinking it's super portable and must be good for the basics at least if well made (good material and sharp?).

Your quest is over, pick a color:
http://santacruzshredder.com/product/small-2-piece-grinders/

tuk,

Vitolo

Vaporist
Hi guys,

I'm thinking of getting a grinder card but as I don't know much about those and have never met anyone using them I wanted to ask you for some input. I know this thread is more about high end grinders but well it's a grinder as well so I believe I'm in the right section (plus I'm too new here to dare starting a new thread :uhoh:) but please let me know if there's a better place for this or if it deserves its own thread.

So if any of you is/has been using one of those cards please let me know what you think of it (what's convenient or not in those, brands to avoid/recommend, materials? anything really will be appreciated as so far it seems to me that it's treated as a bit of a gadget but I can't help thinking it's super portable and must be good for the basics at least if well made (good material and sharp?).
Grinder cards can work if you use them right.
They work best placed on top of a box or jar for support and structural integrity... with the hole exposed to the inside. A thick shotglass works. Then I do it over a shoe box lid shaped object.
hold the bud firmly and grate as though it were cheese, in short abrupt back and forth moves.
Careful not to fold fingertips inward or you will grate a knuckle.
Eyes open if you've long nails.. it can take a chunk.
If you have no other tool they work.
They are best with dry bud.
The best credit card grinder I have seen to date accompanies the Herbalizer.

1_gr8_underdog

Trapped in the Astral Planes Back from the dead
@°k
I carry a V-syndicate Hypno-kitty grinder in my wallet for emergencies. It works, but I whole-heartedly agree with @Vitolo. The best one I have used up to this point is the one that came with my Herbie.

Hypno-kitty grinder card; It is ok in a pinch but I don't recommend this one for heavy usage due to its small grinding surface. Also depending where you are on the tail the consitancy varies. The fat end of the tail is thick chunk, the middle is finer while at the thinnist part of the tail by the body is medium. This one can be found for under $10. Including shipping on the eBay.
41qwbQ15dKL.jpg

The Herbalizer grinder card; larger grinding surface, evenly spaced/ sized holes give a much more consistant grind than my other cards. I also recommend this one. When I use my Herbie card I grate from the back side because of the logo on the front. Hope this helps. :tup:
RyfvUv8.jpg

Last edited:

°k

The sound of vapor
Thank you guys, I appreciate the details and pics and all. :tup:

Grinder cards can work if you use them right.
They work best placed on top of a box or jar for support and structural integrity... with the hole exposed to the inside. A thick shotglass works. Then I do it over a shoe box lid shaped object.
hold the bud firmly and grate as though it were cheese, in short abrupt back and forth moves.
Careful not to fold fingertips inward or you will grate a knuckle.
Eyes open if you've long nails.. it can take a chunk.
If you have no other tool they work.
They are best with dry bud.
The best credit card grinder I have seen to date accompanies the Herbalizer.
What is it that makes that Herbie card so good according to you? Does it have to come with a free vape or can you get a stand alone version? :lmao:

@°k
I carry a V-syndicate Hypno-kitty grinder in my wallet for emergencies. It works but, I whole-heartedly agree with @Vitolo the best one I have used up to this point is the one that came with my Herbie.

Hypno-kitty grinder card; It is ok in a pinch but I don't recommend this one for heavy usage due to its small grinding surface. This one can be found for under $10. Including shipping on the eBay.
41qwbQ15dKL.jpg

The Herbalizer grinder card; larger grinding surface, evenly spaced/ sized holes give a much more consistant grind than my other cards. I also recommend this one. When I use my Herbie card I grate from the back side because of the logo on the front. Hope this helps. :tup:
RyfvUv8.jpg
I'm not sure to understand that last part about grating from the back side because of the logo, could you elaborate for me a bit please?

tepictoton

Anybody ever tried the black leaf matrix grinder? Seems to have the same set of 'teeth' as the SCS? I think I might order one. Definitely seems like a good option for European folks here, because it is the only grinder I know on this side of the pond that has the 'bloks for teeth'...

tepictoton,

1_gr8_underdog

Trapped in the Astral Planes Back from the dead
Thank you guys, I appreciate the details and pics and all. :tup:
I'm not sure to understand that last part about grating from the back side because of the logo, could you elaborate for me a bit please?
Sorry, I re-read that and it does not make sense. I'm not sure what I was going after, but I didn't get it conveyed. Atleast not properly. I missed a sentence or two that belongs. Let me try again.
I grind into the box starting at or just below the Herbalizer logo and work the herb back and forth like using a cheese grater. (Logo is the H w/ leaf in circle) logo up as in my picture above. :doh: Having troubles today, I appologize my good sir.:tup:
Yes you can purchase the card seperately. Link

Last edited:

tepictoton

Will get the black leaf matrix grinder next week...hope it turns out to be different from all the other grinders I had...really hope it has the different 'teeth'.

Edit: located in europe where something like scs is almost unknown and all grinders seem to have the same set up of teeth...

When you think of it it actually makes sense that grinders with teeth do not work as efficient. Because of the way they are lined up the blades do not cross each other, where as with bigger blocks for teeth the sides will actually come very close ro each other acting as blades...

Goldorak

Mod note: This post and the following three responses were moved from Ask FC.

I have bought a Thorinder about a month ago, read some reviews before coz I felt 50 Euros for a grinder was kind of expensive but I do not regret it !!! it shreds really well compared to all grinders I had before, the feeling of the metal is really nice too and of course the magnet is strong. No flaws.

And it looks awesome :nod:
Untitled-8.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Goldorak,

lwien

I have bought a Thorinder about a month ago, read some reviews before coz I felt 50 Euros for a grinder was kind of expensive but I do not regret it !!! it shreds really well compared to all grinders I had before, the feeling of the metal is really nice too and of course the magnet is strong. No flaws.

Two questions. Could you post up some links to the reviews that you read before you purchased it and could you tell us what other grinders that you have compared it to?

lwien,

Goldorak

I think I read here on FC that cheap aluminum grinders may shred some piece of metal as well, and I remember finding stuff in my mix some time to time. I was cleaning my grinders with a knife at the time :clap: so no surprise...

The review I read was in French on the website I bought it:

"Excellent grinder, le meilleur que j'ai jamais eu. Prix un peu élevé, mais une fois qu'on l'a, on comprend pourquoi ! Grinde très très fin. Le tamis pour les particules les plus fines est ultra fin, donc on récupère vraiment le plus fin donc c'est parfait. Aimanté sur la partie supérieure, très facile à faire tourner (filetage avec un peu de jeu). Bref : parfait."

"excellent grinder the best I ever had. Price a bit high but once that you have it in hands, you understand why! Grinds very very finely. the sieve is ultra thin so you get really the thinest of the finest so it is perfect. Got a magnet on the top part, very easy to turn and use. To conclude: perfect!"

This forced my decision and I do not regret it.

I used wooden grinder, then acrylic and then aluminum but always no-name ones. I felt it was time for a treat to myself after a bad experience with a crank grinder that I got few months ago. I thought I would take a Space case grinder but I wanted a wndow then I saw this one completely randomly and loved the look at 1st sight :love:

Resinberg

I have had a grinder card for over 3 years and have probably only used it a dozen times mainly to show people who are interested.

538oy1.jpg

I think it is a novelty item. yes it is extremely portable mine sits in my wallet where my other cards go but even then id rather break up with my fingers on the go than use the card this is why
you need a bigger nug to use or you risk cheese grating your fingers on the card its not like a grinder where you pack it with shake budlets nugs anything you want with the card you need to basically be able to rake the nug back and fourth and when it gets to small you find your self just smashing it through the holes or grinding skin also who likes to finger up there bud like that rubbing it back and fourth getting all your skin oils all over the shake and the card its just too dirty for my liking

its a neat concept and if you want it for travel pretty cool but I couldn't see myself buying another i would just do a 2 piece small grinder for 25 bucks or so

Vitolo

Vaporist
A manufacturer that sent me an free product once, and thought I would write a review. Later after I gave him a piece of my mind, he sent me 3 dozen of these... thinking I might forget to tell anyone about his product.
Photoon2011-11-29at0840.jpg

(the product was "sneak-a-vape)

Delta3DStudios

Accessory Maker
Hi all!

After buying a crappy no-name grinder for $30+ at my LHS last year, I had grown quickly tired of it. The quality was 'ok' - but it would always get sticky, requiring almost weekly 'picking' with a toothpick/screwdriver to enable the top to spin freely enough to grind.

Long ago when I was young and dumb making more money than my peers, I bought a space case at my LHS as that was the 'best' grinder money could buy. At a house party, I traded a neighbor my SC for his huge no-name grinder (jumbo XL size), because bigger is better, right?? (at least when you're that drunk).... Lol, boy was that a stupid trade, don't even have that grinder anymore (gave it away).

Being a special birthday this week, I decided to splurge on a new grinder. I started my search looking at the Space Case, and almost fell for the Titanium marketing BS. So I started a thread in Ask FC about the titanium SC. Of course I was quickly pointed to the Santa Cruz Shredder (which I had initially ignored thinking it was a cheap-o grinder). Seeing as how I already had an SC, and the new ones use the same 2-blade cutting style, I thought it was time to try something different.

Ultimately, I purchased a Small GunMetal Grey SCS through Amazon Prime. It was finally delivered today. Of course I had to run home for "lunch", he he

First thoughts - HOLY SHIT THIS IS BIG! How is this a 'small' ?? It's damn near 30% bigger than my previous grinder! But I like the color, and it 'feels' great - parts lock together nice and tight.

Second thoughts upon 'moving in' (moving my MT Herb Scoop from my Lotus over to the new SCS) - strange, the magnet isn't as powerful on the underside! (My other case has the magnet placed closer to the base, holding my scoop nice and tight away from the herbs).

Overall, I like the design - very well thought out. Many of my complaints about the last two grinders I had were fixed. Most notably is the center magnet - on my past two grinders, if you jammed any herb in the center of the grinder, it wouldn't fully grind the herb because the top cap could never be fully inserted. With the SCS, there's no way to jam herb into the center (My one friend would ALWAYS put the herb in the center of the grinder and start grinding!)

But seriously, this thing is huge, I kinda wish I had ordered the SCS MINI!

Seren

Away with the fairies
I'm so excited - my new Sharpstone grinder arrived today - perfectly timed for the bank holiday weekend! It took just one week to reach Wales from the States - how quick was that!?! It looks great - but the proof is in the pudding as the saying goes.......... so I'd best get to it! ;)

Vitolo

Vaporist
I wonder about the line... the spot where the silver (unfinished metal) meets the black,
it is not anodized looking as it would be the same color inside and out.
It is not coated.. as in titanium.. or it would also be coated throughout.
Do you imagine that could be paint?

Quetzalcoatl

DEADY GUERRERO/DIRT COBAIN/GEORGE KUSH
I wonder about the line... the spot where the silver (unfinished metal) meets the black,
it is not anodized looking as it would be the same color inside and out.
It is not coated.. as in titanium.. or it would also be coated throughout.
Do you imagine that could be paint?
I hope not, cheap grinders flaking paint isn't cool. I have the same card grinder that @Resinberg does (pictured here:)

and the black paint around the grates started to chip off, so I stopped using it. It's one of the reasons I decided to stick with the regular silver finish of my 2p Space Case.

GreenDragon

I started my search looking at the Space Case, and almost fell for the Titanium marketing BS.

It appears you fell for the ANTI Titanium BS.

SpaceCase Titanium grinders are coated with some type of titanium layer.
You can call the SpaceCase manufacturer and ask. I did.
The question seems to be which titanium coating they use. Each titanium coating process (ie - TiAlN, AlTiN) is different and has a different percentage of titanium.
TiAlN is typically 50/50 Al/Ti.
AlTiN is typically 70/30 Al/Ti.

There is an active topic about this subject in Ask FC. Hopefully the Mods will move it here.

GreenDragon,

tuk

It appears you fell for the ANTI Titanium BS.

SpaceCase Titanium grinders are coated with some type of titanium layer.

In that case calling them a titanium grinder is misleading, they are really a titanium coated aluminium grinder, even then, as you say yourself, the titanium coating is not pure & contains an unknown percentage of titanium ....at a rough guess these grinders actually contain less than 1% titanium so calling them Titanium grinders is "marketing BS" plain and simple.

GreenDragon

In that case calling them a titanium grinder is misleading, they are really a titanium coated aluminium grinder, even then, as you say yourself, the titanium coating is not pure & contains an unknown percentage of titanium ....at a rough guess these grinders actually contain less than 1% titanium so calling them Titanium grinders is "marketing BS" plain and simple.

Well, yes it would be misleading if anyone was saying it was made out of titanium. I don't think anyone has claimed it is solid titanium.

For a decade or more (help me out here fellow old timers) people have talked about SpaceCase Titanium grinders and it's always about the titanium coating, not the aluminium grinder itself. If you call SpaceCase, they will tell you it's an aluminium grinder with a titanium coating.

They really are quite special. The coating has non-stick properties and helps the blades stay sharp. During the early years of production, they didn't have their process down yet and the grinders were not coming out black. The color varied, dark purple, purple, rose and gunmetal gray. They are very beautiful.

GreenDragon,
Reactions: Magic9

tuk

Well, yes it would be misleading if anyone was saying it was made out of titanium.

If you say something is a Titanium <insert physical object here> then you are implying its made out of Titanium, or at the very least implying the majority of the material being used is Titanium.

If it turns out that object is only coated in Titanium and the coating is less than 100% titanium( which prob means less than 1% of the total product is made from Titanium )...then it's just marketing bs.

The fact SC clarify in the small print to say the grinder is actually made from aluminium is neither here nor there...the fact remains they are marketing their product as being Titanium, you only have to read through a few forums on the subject to see that many consumers believe they are buying a grinder made out of Titanium.

I think only a fanboy or the manuf would beg to differ, I have no dog in the fight so can be objective.

Top Bottom