me too... I think mines cold..... There is just no such as thick vapor with this thing. my best exhaled cloud with the FV is much much less than anything from my Solo. Even right at near the combustion point I would hardly call the vapor thick.

I am still liking this thing but vapor thickness or throughness of extraction don't seem to be its strong suits....

Anyone in the San Jose area up for a session? Boobs is always up for a sesh but he hasn't bought one of these yet....

Try going heavy on the button and definitely use the window to see and suck in microhits. After you inhale the microhit, stop drawing breath and keep the button down while giving it a shake. When you see the next wisp grab another microhit. Build up multiple hits before exhaling.

kelper,

ru_frothi

Portable Vaporist
Try going heavy on the button and definitely use the window to see and suck in microhits. After you inhale the microhit, stop drawing until you see the next wisp and grab another microhit. Build up multiple hits before exhaling.

Thats exactly what I am doing. I can repeat that for 30 seconds and only get a mild cloud on xhale. samething on a solo on INH and I would be coughing for 5 minutes....

has anyone figured out how to really extract herb to a cofee like color with the FV. The solo continues to pull nice clouds from spent ABV from the FV. it reminds me a lot of the T1 in many respects. I thinks its better than the T1 in most ways including ease of use which is my #2 criteria right next to #1. How well does it medicate me?

Have to say the though. The fit and finish and craftsmanship is A+. Stu had mentioned using grinder grease on the threads which works fine,but after having cleaned my unit with ISO the top needed lubing. Little grinder grease on the top and the seals and its like new. NOTE: you don't need to gob a bunch on there just a a little....

ru_frothi,
I don't own a solo, but if it's anything like my vaporblunt 2 then I consider it more in the easy bake oven category. The FV is more of a zen instrument like a katana vs an automatic weapon. I suppose you may have a defective one, but I say stick with it, keep practicing, go with the flow, read Zen in the Art of Archery, etc. Good luck.

Chill Dude

me too... I think mines on the colder side..... There is just no such as thick vapor with this thing in my testing. Done a dozen plus bowls and the hits are bigger than an MFLB but can't compare. My best exhaled cloud with the FV is much much less than anything from my Solo. Even right at near the combustion point I would hardly call the vapor thick.

I am still liking this thing but vapor thickness and thoroughness of extraction don't seem to be the FV's strong suits.... I will note you defintelely have to draw very slowly on this thing to get any sort of cloud. you just can't hit this thing like a Solo or an INH.

Anyone in the San Jose area up for a session? Boobs is always up for a sesh but he hasn't bought one of these yet....

Wow! What's really weird is I've experienced the exact opposite. Mine runs way hot and I find it difficult to control the power of this beast. I blow huge clouds, sometimes thick smoke LOL. My avb is typically dark brown to black, or when I've combusted mostly black with white ash.....

Wow! What's really weird is I've experienced the exact opposite. Mine runs way hot and I find it difficult to control the power of this beast. I blow huge clouds, sometimes thick smoke LOL. My avb is typically dark brown to black, or when I've combusted mostly black with white ash.....
Are you guys putting a fine grind in it? One difference as I mentioned before is that I break mine down with my fingers, not a grinder, so that there's some fluff to it in the bowl. Sawdust is highly combustible, so if that's what you're using maybe try it my way.

Chill Dude

Are you guys putting a fine grind in it? One difference as I mentioned before is that I break mine down with my fingers, not a grinder, so that there's some fluff to it in the bowl. Sawdust is highly combustible, so if that's what you're using maybe try it my way.

Yeah, good point. In fact, I have been using a relatively fine grind. I wouldn't say sawdust, but still pretty fine. I'll try a coarser grind and see if I get better performance....

Chill Dude,
Reactions: OF

optiato

Yeah, good point. In fact, I have been using a relatively fine grind. I wouldn't say sawdust, but still pretty fine. I'll try a coarser grind and see if I get better performance....
I start with whatever my grinder spits out then crush it against the walls of the bowl with my finger after a few hits (just like with the MFLB). This gives me more even browning of my herb than if I leave it as it came out of my grinder.

Pipes

Addicted DIY Enthusiast
Accessory Maker
Looky what I got in the mail today...

P1050214_zpscb31a9d1.jpg

Snaps into place and doesn't fall out. Extra High Dome Watch Crystal

Pipes

Addicted DIY Enthusiast
Accessory Maker
That's pretty cool. Does the dome shape help you to see into the bowl? Sometimes I go a little cross-eyed looking into the bowl while inhaling.
Unfortunately I have to wait to try it out in real life action.
But from just looking through it, I do not think there is much improvement as for looking into the chamber however I'm hoping to be able see the vapor easier as it raises above the top.
I ordered this before the S2 so might not be as useful as with the S1?
Will update once I have tried in various operating schemes.
Looks cool though. Never hurts to pimp it up a bit.

Fun, Pipes, but it doesn't really look much like you now does it?

How about you rig up a baffle right in front to the stem opening that runs up the side to nearly meet the top glass, forcing all the vapor to loop over the top just under you're lovely pitcher winder?

OF
The dome distorts things I know.

You have a way of reading my mind.....

Looks awesome, and I'm sure the vapor visuals are nice. :)

Snaps in to place... is it plastic?
It's plastic but formulated for watches.

beefsupreme

R.I.P. S2 spacer.. you lasted for 3 good bowls. I'm looking forward to seeing what the next design of the spacer looks like. I've reverted to S1 for now. I know it still works with the outer frame only if I want. I wish I knew what I did to break it. Maybe i needed to be extra-extra gentle when brushing the screen?

cGkfUrY.jpg

beefsupreme,
How loose do the spacers fit? Does shaking it between hits cause it to rattle around?
I wonder if the spacer is covered by a warranty? Probably not. Is there any inert material that we could use to make our own?
Could something like JB Weld be used to fix a broken spacer? I know,lots of questions but no answers. It's not my fault,my brain was damaged in grade school by a 15 minute exposure to second hand pot smoke.:mental:

ShipDit,

Willeh

I got my replacement spacer today, and while using the warming it up for the second or third hit there was a little "pop" sound and one of the spokes came off. I'm just going to fish it out and return to business as usual until the new spacer design comes out I guess. The good news is I really like the 3.7v S2 batteries without any spacer. Just takes some practice.

Willeh,
Reactions: ShipDit

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
I got my replacement spacer today, and while using the warming it up for the second or third hit there was a little "pop" sound and one of the spokes came off. I'm just going to fish it out and return to business as usual until the new spacer design comes out I guess. The good news is I really like the 3.7v S2 batteries without any spacer. Just takes some practice.

That's the first report of someone actually ear-witnessing a failure. I'm not a materials engineer but I'd say that indicates a problem with the ceramic. I wondered whether the heat cycles might be the cause so I did a little reading on ceramics. The problem is that there are a gazillion varieties and I have no idea which one is used for the spacer. In general, though, ceramics for applications like this are chosen partly because they have really low thermal expansion coefficients. I'd written off expansion-contraction as a possible cause, but this sure makes me think twice.

OF

In general, though, ceramics for applications like this are chosen partly because they have really low thermal expansion coefficients. I'd written off expansion-contraction as a possible cause, but this sure makes me think twice.

It's sometimes more important to match 'coefficients of linear expansion' (I think that's the correct plural??). That is if the hole changes size or shape relative to the insert, that's when trouble happens. As long as they 'track' and there are no serious temperature gradients (one part hotter than another) it should never matter.

No matter the source, it's shaping up like a widespread problem that hopefully will be addressed soon.....the S2 is just too neat to die this fast.

OF

OF,
Reactions: ShipDit

Willeh

I really, really liked my first S2 until I broke it trying to take it out for cleaning because it fit snugly. I used to think the s2 design was fine, my first one was sturdy I used to brush it pretty aggressively and it never broke until I broke it yanking it out. I wonder if maybe certain batches didn't get sintered at high enough temperatures or something causing them to be more vulnerable to the heat difference. I'm fairly certain it was the heat that made the spacer pop. I heard a very distinctive pop or snap right as it got warm for the second hit off the first bowl. At first I thought I combusted or had a seed in it, but I investigated right away without touching the screen at all.

Willeh,
Top Bottom